• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's true that Final Fantasy has had a number of either main or central ladies, but we have to look at quality over quantity. X-2 and the entire XIII trilogy was filled with disgusting, misogynistic, pandering nonsense, mostly stemming from Toriyama's frankly disturbing obsession with playing dress up with his anime waifus. It's not enough to just have a female character when you're still objectifying her and designing entirely from a male gaze.

And yes, it's also true that we have many FF games where the woman is the true protagonist narratively (e.g. Yuna in X and Ashe in XII), but Square clings to this framing wherein you have to see her story develop through the eyes of the naive teen boy (Tidus and Vaan). Now don't get me wrong, X and XII are probably my favorite FF games, but why can't we as the player experience a story about a woman or women from the perspective of the actual woman? It's because Square still fundamentally sees their audience as young men, and the games are primarily written by men.

There's a very good chance that the next FF title could have a female lead, but I don't trust Square at all to write her authentically or to not continue to treat her like a sex doll.

This is a good post.

Hopefully the next woman protag will have an actually good game.

And...not stuff like that, too.

hqdefault.jpg

"I didn't give Lightning a love interest because I couldn't bear to see her end up with anyone else!" is…not confidence-inspiring.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I want a female and I want it to be a "girly" girl. Not a girl in man's like role (like Lightning). And an Edgelord at that. Serah was a bit better in that regard (even though I detested FF13-2 and LR as games, and what they stood for, and where they took the story in 13 which began and ended just... fine)

Oct 31, 2017
Well evidence clearly shows the FF writers are pretty shit at writing female leads. Idk why that would be even remotely hard to comprehend.

"It means they are my two least favorite final fantasy games. If the writing turns into what those games did I dont want it at all.

There are lots of great games with female leads. Final Fantasy has not been among them."

You say they're your two least favorite FFs, that the games and writing are not to your liking, but nothing specifically about the actual female leads which made me just think you don't want a remotely feminine FF.
Thx for implying that I have comprehension problems tho

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up to it if Motomu Toriyama stays the fuck away from any type of writing utensil. Also, get somebody other than Nomura to design her.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why it shouldn't come true. FF always had prominent female characters, and the series generally doesn't have "one" protagonist. Ashe was the central character in XII while Vaan was just an observer, Dagger was just as or more important than Zidane, same for Tidus and Yuna, Squall and Rinoa were the central characters of VIII, Terra was on the cover of VI but VI really was an ensemble game, and Fang and Vanille were more important for XIII's plot than Lightning.

I still hope that XVI will be Agni's Philosophy, now there's a wish that won't come true. ;-)

Oct 30, 2017
Why it's impossible ?

I want a protagonist doesn't matter male or female but someone who is likable and really really well written.. because we didn't get that in a main offline FF game since FFIX.

Zidane was an excellent leader to his group and was very lovable.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Why the obsession with female writers? Do you really think that by just having women in the writing team we will have great female characters?

It definitely helps!

I want a female and I want it to be a "girly" girl. Not a girl in man's like role (like Lightning). And an Edgelord at that. Serah was a bit better in that regard (even though I detested FF13-2 and LR as games, and what they stood for, and where they took the story in 13 which began and ended just... fine)

I agree, I find those kinds of characters much easier to relate to and more interesting.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I don't see the point of going back to Cindy in FFXV everytime when there was Aranea and nearly everyone loved her.

Oct 27, 2017
Make a game about a squad of four women in a FF4 like setting aboutt them traversing an interesting world to reach a final point(something like the main goal of Death Stranding where you have to reach the beach and the game is about the journey). Hire a woman to write and direct it, look at Claymore for inspiration.

This would be cool.

meloa

Nov 10, 2017
Speaking only for myself, I don't think I would want a modern FF with a main female lead unless the head writer for said game is also a woman.

Lightning was so absolutely awful in every possible way that I'm still scarred.
Yeah, one of Lightning's many faults comes from the director(?) or whatever considering Lightning to be his "waifu" sickening

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I would LOVE FF16 to have a female lead!
It's about damn time.
I feel like there is a decent chance of it happening - not sure why I feel that way. But this would be some of the best news that could come out of the next game.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
This was just a bad topic to even bring up, because of course it would devolve into this. Why do you people do this to yourselves?

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
The entire XIII trilogy filled with "misogynistic nonsense"? No. In the original the girls absolutely were the stars of the show. Only problem I would say with the original is Vanille's dumb moans
Lightning started as a way of just reusing Cloud with a female skin. Her motivation through the game is her fridged sister. Fang was originally a man and doesn't seem to have had substantial rewriting after the fact. This is not to say that female characters cannot have masculine traits or that they all need to be covered in pink and flowers. But it is a pattern: the "strong" women are the ones who are masculine and the feminine ones (Serah and Vanille) are the ones who need to be protected and rescued. Let's also not ignore or minimize the sexualized character designs of these women (Lightning's skirt barely clears the bottom of her cheeks) or the ensuing nonsense in Lightning Returns that I described.

But please, tell me, a woman, more about how I'm wrong about misogyny.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Wasn't there a tech demo with a girl as protagonist a while ago? It was shown at the beginning of the generation. I don't see why Square Enix wouldn't make it happen.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I've loved most/all the female characters in FFXIV, luckily. So if the rumors of Yoshi-P possibly helping or overseeing it or if the Heavensward team is involved at all I'll be happy.

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
I really dont see why it wouldnt be likely, 13 is considered probably the worst FF but people love lightening

Not to mention 2B is like the biggest square enix character this gen by far

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Nah, I know you hate her but a lot of us, including myself, likes Lightning. She's pretty cool and fierce.

Personally I liked Lighting, she was abrasive, but her "party" was so shitty that her almost bitterness was very easy to empathise with.

I can't imagine I'd be easy to get along with if I had to save the world teamed up with Mr "heroes don't need plans" Snow

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I knew someone was gonna say this as soon as I posted. All I can say is, I simply disagree. Most Final Fantasy protagonists look extremely European to me. The only ones that looked even slightly Japanese, in my opinion at least, were Tidus and Noctis.

Which part of cloud and zidane looks 'european'.

Cloud is 'anime' while zidane is a monkey.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Which part of cloud and zidane looks 'european'.

Cloud is 'anime' while zidane is a monkey.

Cloud is a white dude with blonde hair and blue eyes who comes from a village that looks like it was inspired by some random hamlet in the Swiss countryside. Aside from his stupid hairstyle, which no actual human being would ever have regardless of nationality, he definitely seems European to me.

Whirlpool

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why the obsession with female writers? Do you really think that by just having women in the writing team we will have great female characters?

I think it's slightly better than how a lot of men write them. But I think in general, writers are struggling with female characters.

They tend to overthink them or just rely on lazy and outdated tropes. Like on one hand, you have people who make the damsel in distress characters and cheap cliche's that writers have gravitated to for a while out of laziness and bigotry, and this is usually a male writer thing. On the overthinking side, we have people who try so hard to avoid the emotional female cliche that they write female characters without personality and actual development. Lightning was bordering that.

The solution is to write a character first, and decide their gender later. IMO, writing with the intention of writing a "male character" or "female character" is usually a bad idea unless their gender specifically ties into the story.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Not sure if you ever played XIV, but make the best girl you can make and play dozens of hours until your heart's content. Game is absolutely incredible. Various races leads to all kinds of creation. Can play as a Black Viera or a purple Lalafell.. with 8 races there's lots of possibilities. Then if you're not happy with your character you can always buy a potion and change your race and/or gender.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's true that Final Fantasy has had a number of either main or central ladies, but we have to look at quality over quantity. X-2 and the entire XIII trilogy was filled with disgusting, misogynistic, pandering nonsense, mostly stemming from Toriyama's frankly disturbing obsession with playing dress up with his anime waifus. It's not enough to just have a female character when you're still objectifying her and designing entirely from a male gaze.

And yes, it's also true that we have many FF games where the woman is the true protagonist narratively (e.g. Yuna in X and Ashe in XII), but Square clings to this framing wherein you have to see her story develop through the eyes of the naive teen boy (Tidus and Vaan). Now don't get me wrong, X and XII are probably my favorite FF games, but why can't we as the player experience a story about a woman or women from the perspective of the actual woman? It's because Square still fundamentally sees their audience as young men, and the games are primarily written by men.

There's a very good chance that the next FF title could have a female lead, but I don't trust Square at all to write her authentically or to not continue to treat her like a sex doll.
It's so fucking stupid.
www.destructoid.com

Lightning Returns director ordered bigger, jiggling boobs

Sigh Lightning’s either experienced a miracle or paid for a boob job in Lightning Returns, bumping up from a Japanese...

Future game developers: Please try not to embarrass women, we're a lot more interesting than we're sometimes written.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
They've done it before.

What actually doesn't have a chance of happening is a FF main protagonist that isn't Japanese or White.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be cool with a female lead for XVI. I always liked Agni's design from their tech demo and kinda hoped they would actually use her for the next game.

Just please, make her as far away from Lightning as humanly possible.

Joelington

Sep 13, 2019
Canada
I'd love for FFXVI to have a female protagonist. I just hope Toriyama and Nomura are not involved at all.

Put either Yasumi Matsuno or Yoko Taro in the directorial role and I'd be immediately sold.