• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Sure, if neither had a gun the situation would have ended better, but if he didn't have a gun he might have been the one killed instead. According to the police, she pointed hers at him (and the witnesses) while his was still concealed.
Honestly, not sure what's the point after the but. I never said one or the other should've been allowed to have a gun.

This country has an unhealthy obsession with guns, and most would probably solve an argument by shooting the other dead.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Fucking Christ at all those wE dOn'T kNoW wHaT hApPeNeD!!!!! and bUt ThE gUy WaS iN tHe WrOnG tOo!!! posts on the first couple pages.

Reminds me of the early days of the Gabby Petito case. There really is a defense force for everyone.

All we have to go off of is the investigator's word.

How do we know she's actually dead? How do we know she wasn't driving a spaceship? How do we know the baby wasn't the one driving? How do we know the motorcyclist wasn't JFK Jr trying to make his way to Dealey Plaza?

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
All we have to go off of is the investigator's word.

How do we know she's actually dead? How do we know she wasn't driving a spaceship? How do we know the baby wasn't the one driving? How do we know the motorcyclist wasn't JFK Jr trying to make his way to Dealey Plaza?
im coughing

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
She ran him over and fled the scene, following such a person to ensure the police can pick them up seems like a fair thing to do
I feel like any dispatcher would advise someone to not do that fwiw, I have never heard of an instance of someone being told by 911 to keep on someone's tail

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people keep asking for more evidence by ignoring the existing evidence that's already there?

"The shooter could've been a chupacabra!"

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Some of you are so full of shit, if someone tried to run you over , you would have followed them too.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some are really trying to bOtH sIdEs! this, aren't they?

Fucking hell, guys...
Like what I've and some other people have said, there are people who have a bad bias towards this kind of scenario no matter how many times evidence contradicting them. And they'll stay stubborn or leave and never return until the next thread happens.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The cops did not tell him to follow. He did not call the cops until he had already followed her to her house. The cops would not have told him to follow because that's a creepy, escalating thing to do and serves no useful purpose and only raises the risk of something going horribly wrong.

Everyone talks like the motorcyclist knew where she lived. He didn't necessarily chase her home, he followed her until she was home, which it turns out was right nearby.

As long as we're doing hypotheticals, they may have been following her to get the plates when she just ended up stopping.

Gungriffon

Oct 30, 2017
About 20 years ago my uncle was severly beaten after following the people after a hit&run. The woman was clearly in the wrong and the biker is in the clear, I'm just saying i would never follow someone like that.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): Hostility
That poster is this close to saying she did nothing wrong and that the guy probably did something to deserve getting hit by her car.

The handwaving of her culpability in this story is fucking baffling to me.

Oh fuck off with that shit. From the very start my position was that it sounds like he escalated the situation. People are defending this guy based on a very biased article missing tons of information which we may never know given that we only have him and his witness (friend?) for the full story.

Are people advocating following someone home after an altercation? That is some white fucking privilege right there. People seem to be implying he had a right to defend himself based on the initial incident. That's fucking insane in my mind. You guys sound blood thirsty to me. The gun situation in the US is fucked and this thread is prime example. Neither of them should have had access to guns.

Personally, as a minority, this article and situation send off all kinds of alarm bells.

Also, whoever said she as a white woman, she has a hispanic last name and looks hispanic.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Goes to show if you get hit get the license plate and call the police. Instead of following that person to their house.
Cops will usually say something along the lines of, "we don't need (want) you to follow them but we can't stop you". That's because it's not illegal to follow somebody for the most part. If he would have just gotten the license plate and drove off, it's likely that'd been the end of it and it would have never been pursued. If you want to actually catch the person who hurt you, you have to be there to make a statement and possibly tell the police you want to file charges. It's especially important if you have actual witness there to also make statements. Otherwise, they'll get away.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck off with that shit. From the very start my position was that it sounds like he escalated the situation. People are defending this guy based on a very biased article missing tons of information which we may never know given that we only have him and his witness (friend?) for the full story.

Are people advocating following someone home after an altercation? People seem to be implying he had a right to defend himself based on the initial incident.

Personally, as a minority, this article and situation send off all kinds of alarm bells.

Also, whoever said she as a white woman, she has a hispanic last name and looks hispanic.

She escalated by coming out of her house with a gun, after she hit him and ran

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you are so full of shit, if someone tried to run you over , you would have followed them too.
Nope, I'm well aware that my threat response isn't "fight," it's "freeze." Which is good, because we no longer live in a time where dumb reactions like chasing down someone who threatened you is a good idea. Because it tends to escalate conflicts, and there's no guarantee I'd win that fight.

I'd rather be at the scene of the hit and run, on my phone with the cops, than at some dude's house amped up on adrenaline hoping I win a shootout with my CCW. Seems like the smart play to me. But I guess that makes me a pussy, huh?

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Maybe this is why guns shouldn't be available to everyone like they're candy.

RIP to the woman and hope that guy gets counselling for the trauma he no doubt will have to deal with.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all just need to come out and say that you're siding with her because she was pregnant. Like for real how do you not pin full responsibility on her?

• Hitting a Motorist with her car.
  • Failing to stop to exchange information or even see if he was okay and fleeing the scene
  • Not staying in her house and choosing to confront the man after she did flee
  • pulling a gun on him during the confrontation outside the house
consistently in every situation here SHE was the aggressor or the one at fault.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK

Are people advocating following someone home after an altercation? People seem to be implying he had a right to defend himself based on the initial incident. That's fucking insane in my mind. You guys sound blood thirsty to me. The gun situation in the US is fucked and this thread is prime example. Neither of them should have had access to guns.

No-one said or implied that at all. He followed her to get her plate or ID her for the cops, people are saying he had a right to do that. After she then leaves the safety of her house brandishing a weapon, people are saying he has a right to defend himself. He was on the roadway, not at her front door. Nobody is blood thirsty, as you're passive-aggressively trying to claim here.

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory generalization, history of similar infractions
Motorcyclists are infamous assboles on the road especially in groups, so I'd be hesitant to believe she intentionally hot them if the only other witness I'd the dude who followed her to her home.

Even if she was in the wrong tailing someone to their home is very aggressive and suspect. Escalating the situation with a gun is unwise, but I think home defense is legitimate reason to have a gun. IDK about any of yall, but a pissed off motorist following me home would make me feel threatened. We don't know her side of the story because she's dead. Ultimately, she may have been in the wrong but if the motorcyclists get her license plates and report the accident to the cops, all parties would be alive. Even if you're in the right, always better to deescalate a situation.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017

Are people advocating following someone home after an altercation? That is some white fucking privilege right there. People seem to be implying he had a right to defend himself based on the initial incident. That's fucking insane in my mind. You guys sound blood thirsty to me. The gun situation in the US is fucked and this thread is prime example. Neither of them should have had access to guns.

Kind of hard to escalate from attempted murder. That's already close to the top of the mountain. Following someone to make sure they don't get away after committing a crime, while admittedly dangerous, is a water slide down from that.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Motorcyclists are infamous assboles on the road especially in groups, so I'd be hesitant to believe she intentionally hot them if the only other witness I'd the dude who followed her to her home.

Even if she was in the wrong tailing someone to their home is very aggressive and suspect. Escalating the situation with a gun is unwise, but I think home defense is legitimate reason to have a gun. IDK about any of yall, but a pissed off motorist following me home would make me feel threatened. We don't know her side of the story because she's dead. Ultimately, she may have been in the wrong but if the motorcyclists get her license plates and report the accident to the cops, all parties would be alive. Even if you're in the right, always better to deescalate a situation.

Kia Drivers are universally known crazed maniacs

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
This is definitely victim blaming. The police release makes it clear they were to stay there to identify the woman - her going inside and getting a gun escalated the situation beyond what it already was, and then she pointed it at "them". If the cyclist didn't have a concealed carry - there's a chance they'd both have been shot. No matter how you dice this, the cyclist was in within their right and justified to use self-defense. I'm not saying it's cool that either party are armed, but this is how it went down and it is what it is. There is no blame to be laid on the cyclist for doing what they were told to do by the police and defending themselves and the witness from a weapon.
I understand what you mean, and thinking on it and reading yours and others' posts, my view has changed somewhat.

But, I do think, that if the cops told him to follow her or stay so close to her home, then that was horrible advice that clearly ended the situation worse than it could've.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The US is a very fucked up place. I don't even care about who was the aggressor. It's the ridiculous gun laws that are the actual problem. You are gunning yourselves down for the most stupid reasons just because you can.

In normal, civilized countries this would've been a shouting match, followed by a police visit and she probably would've lost her drivers license for hitting the motorcyclists if there was any evidence. This would've been an appropriate outcome.

Last edited:

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's okay to admit you are wrong, people who keep white knighting for a twice-over attempted murderess.

We won't think less of you. By which I mean we won't think about you at all.

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
Some of y'all just need to come out and say that you're siding with her because she was pregnant. Like for real how do you not pin full responsibility on her?

• Hitting a Motorist with her car.
  • Failing to stop to exchange information or even see if he was okay and fleeing the scene
  • Not staying in her house and choosing to confront the man after she did flee
  • pulling a gun on him during the confrontation outside the house
consistently in every situation here SHE was the aggressor or the one at fault.

Following someone even after a hit and run is objectively wrong and escalates the situation, get the number and call the cops. Both parties can be at fault in some capacity.

I can say that I have experienced someone following me in road rage and trying to get me out of the car to fight. I'm a big dude and not afraid of anyone in a physical confrontation, but that shit scared me. People are wack, in the US often-armed, and someone crazy enough to tail you like some vigilante (although unlike this women I hadn't committed a crime), you are well within your right to be comcerned.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I would follow someone who tried to run me over for sure. Neither of us would have guns though.
Im pretty sure the following part is to get an ID or ask why the fuck someone tried to off you, not to get revenge.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

Oh well that settles that. Case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.