• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I started this game at launch in 2018 on my Xbox One X and made it only a couple hours in but restarted in Feb 2019 due to some schedule and life stuff. I then spent a year finishing it and making GIFs and taking in the craftsmanship of the game. I finally completed the story on Saturday.

DsqME6Q.gif

It's the best game created this gen for me. It has more fully acted cutscenes, more animations, more handcrafted buildings and debris and scenery than any other open world. It's got an incredible amount of touching character moments, centered around Arthur - a complex depiction of growth and regret. It is remarkably tied to the spirit of the first game without much retreading of its arcs.

lDH7aOM.gif

The amount of polish on display is incredible. Unlike other open world games that have scored big this gen such as Witcher 3 (with its numerous repeated homes and unimpressive city layouts to conceal its bad LOD) or Horizon Zero Fun (with its cable TV sci fi writing and lack of strong handcrafted points of interest in the map), RDR2 is sprawling, breathing, playable cinema. The horses look better than any others in gaming. The lighting is a leap ahead for dynamic environments. The rain does things you didn't even notice other games had failed to depict before.

vO3eh3w.gif

If ever there were a game that decided you are intelligent enough as the player to meditate on and contemplate on a character arc, this is the one that tries to go there with you. A more grey and human view of turn of the century criminals than the prior game, this one had me feel for the anxieties and hopes that motivated the periods of robbery and settlement that the group was responsible for. Not everyone John Marston separated from were purely bad when you spend the time with them.

TS7w6Kq.gif

Early on the game exercises it's bravado with the full gang in high stakes crime and fleeing. They are battling elements and the law, and have a vision for ending the turmoil. But a lot of time passes on their path, and the game covers the months that go by and reveal cracks in the makeshift family structure of this gang. Not everyone is ok with the vagueness of causing more collateral to get their own freedom. Not everyone can keep up with the hard life long enough for supposed salvation.

1cSoA7X.gif

It's a beautifully told character drama. There's no saving the world plot here like the other open world games I find overrated above. No dark army to defeat or collapsing technological safety. This is a group of people who have been losing for a long time.

oRdivOF.gif

I find the thing I loved most is that it offers a vulnerable cast and a protagonist you can bond with in their fears. They aren't sure they're on the right side of the conflicts. They don't know if they can pass anyone's test of what a good person in their situation is. They are not some agent of making society work or stopping a bad force of corruption.

LYOzlcL.gif

It's not often I've connected well with a cast in open world games. I find they often sacrifice on the amount of attention to detail needed to make both the world believable for their characters and to make their characters feel like they've lived. This game magnificently made me care about it all.

Hg8T7uM.gif

It doesn't hurt that it's a graphical showcase of what open worlds can be. It's arguably the best overall example of open world technical expertise.

o5QBCiD.gif

Some will complain about the game placing priority on its animations over control, and that's fair - the game puts a lot of time and weight into much of your movement to give a more realistically timed visual identity, but sacrificing the sense of player interaction. It also is a very long story - the amount of dialogue and story missions is rare for a game with unique cutscenes. It doesn't take the cheap route of many open world games that use a standard dialogue camera position for back and forth lines. This game has actual cutscenes whenever appropriate to its story, and that means with its dozens of missions come dozens of hours of dialogue and gameplay. Could it have been slimmed down? Almost certainly considering I was hooked a handful of hours in and there are parts that didn't change that for me. But I can't say I was one of the people who was clawing to get out. I'll take another Rockstar world any day, shortened or not.

9zxrV5X.gif

In the end, I felt the sadness and depth of these stories (and the events that follow in Red Dead Redemption itself from the 2010 game). I felt the art and direction were powerful and moving, and I'm glad many others did too.

PQ8lTUI.gif

Sometimes a game gives you a vision worth experiencing and the time to take a breath when you get there. I'm glad Rockstar achieved that with Red Dead Redemption 2.

Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Still haven't picked it up yet. Is the PC version ready for prime time?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread. I know some people aren't big on the long drawn out story of RDR2, but I couldn't get enough of it. It's a slow burn and I didn't want to leave that world and the characters in it. It's a beautiful game.

Pastebutty

Oct 29, 2017
Still haven't picked it up yet. Is the PC version ready for prime time?
Yep, I'm playing it right now with very few issues but some minor ones.

It's an awesome game. I started it again a week after finishing it and this time taking everything at a snails pace. Just mooching around the world, hunting and picking up little side distractions is just really chill and fun. I can't recommend it enough.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Sigh, I guess I need to get this don't I?

For whatever reason, there's just always been something else on my list, plus I tend to support Japan/AA, along with Nintendo gaming before Western tentpole AAA gaming these days. Plus, I have been kind of waiting for $20 shoe to drop (its been $30 in so many PSN/B&M sales and not budging).

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
By far my favourite game ever, I've been playing since launch and hour or two here and there just riding around hunting and just finding stuff

Still only on chapter 4 so story wise we've just arrived at Saint Denis but I feel I've trod on nearly every bit of ground available.

Love it

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's the prettiest game I've ever played, and that was on a launch PS4 when I have a gaming PC (played the game at launch)

Qash_effect

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
This game was amazing and touched some emotional nerve within my body haha as for the comparison to the witcher - both are some of the greatest games ever made imo. The witcher is just immense in its stories within the world and the larger mythology of the witcher which is so interesting and full of amazing characters and nobody quite does open world like rockstar. They're success has given them more assets to work with too which just makes them get better at it as well. Can't wait for the next GTA. In a world of remakes I wonder if they would do a remake of San Andreas for next gen. Maybe too soo/similar to GTA 5? Who knows but yes read dead 2 was a joy to play.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
It really is a beautiful and well thought out game, I enjoyed my time immensely with it.

Apr 21, 2018
Well goddamn OP, you've gone and done it. I put the game down shortly after buying because I couldn't get ahold of the controls/mechanics, but you've single handedly convinced me to pick it back up.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Yea,the level of craft on display is amazing for sure.....truth be told I had more fun playing Days Gone but games can be great for different reasons and RDR2 is a special game.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I heavily disagree with your assertions about the story.

It's not bold or deep and it cannot decide what to do with it's own characters, it gets even worse if you play a "good" Arthur. Pretty obvious that the writers had no idea how to write a consistent story.

Not to mention it has the issue of being a prequel. It couldn't beat out RDR1 for me, which while it had it's own issue like Marston still has a better story.

Now to give you something nice after all this negative stuff you probably don't care for, here's a review by a professional writer, someone who gaming writers aside from Avellone on a good day or Robert Kurvitz cannot touch. No one at Rockstar or god forbid ND has the talent for that.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Joe Abercrombie

Well, well, well. A most welcome and long-awaited return for Rockstar’s open-world western extravaganza that one might call Grand Theft Auto’s more contemplative, sombre and somewhat less psychotic cousin. The first game (I mean, yeah, it’s a theoretical sequel to Red Dead Revolver but that was...

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Getting major deja vu about seeing that exact collection of gifs before in a thread here
These are many of the GIFs I made as I played through the story and originally shared them in several posts here:
www.resetera.com

Appreciating the glorious graphical splendor that is Red Dead Redemption 2 (GIFs)

Captured these on Xbox One X fyi. Can we just continue to acknowledge the achievement in open world visuals? From graphics to cinematography, the game is glorious. It's my favorite visual wonder of open world gaming ever. And I play a good number of open world games. And the way they can...

Oct 31, 2017
It's an incredible game, and like you say, it's essentially interactive cinema, as is the intention of the majority of Rockstar's works to this point. Games where the player is the Director/Cinematographer whose goal is to frame the stage, props, and actors they have so intricately created. Personally, I love that they stuck to their guns so intensely in regards to the mechanics and pace of the game, poor attention span video game players be damned. It's one of the reasons I adore GTA IV too, and I think that RDRII is secretly the follow up to GTA IV. I know I much preferred it to the direction they took GTA V in.

What makes me sad is that I fear with Dan Houser's stepping away from the studio, they are no longer going to be a studio that commits so strongly to a strong visual, mechanical, narrative, and presentation identity like they did with IV, MP3, and RDRII (which I think are all of their best games); and are instead going to focus much more on capitulating to "what video game players want" by making their games more toy-like/game-y. And if they do this, I'll be incredibly sad, but I won't be surprised.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to get back to this. I keep taking these extended months-long breaks from it, play a mission or two, but feel fatigued/annoyed with how intentionally laborious the movement/action speed is, but I'm hoping one day it will all click and I stick with it until the end.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
These are many of the GIFs I made as I played through the story and originally shared them in several posts here:
www.resetera.com

Appreciating the glorious graphical splendor that is Red Dead Redemption 2 (GIFs)

Captured these on Xbox One X fyi. Can we just continue to acknowledge the achievement in open world visuals? From graphics to cinematography, the game is glorious. It's my favorite visual wonder of open world gaming ever. And I play a good number of open world games. And the way they can...
Aha! That's where I remember them from. They're gorgeous btw!

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is a damn visual revelation on PC. Easily the best looking game this gen. Personally it's easily in my top 5 games of all time.

Last edited:

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Good lord those gifs ! I think im gonna play it again.

Cant wait for the PS5 patch :D

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All Rockstar need to do is take the training wheels off when you hit a mission and they've got things buttoned down.

I can't THIS hard enough

Rockstar Games.

Masterclass in world building
Masterclass in characters and writing
Just so good at creating worlds and breathing them to life.

Absolutely DOGSHIT at gameplay. And I don't even care about the normal things people hark on them for (clunky character controls) I'm ok with my avatar having weight and realistic turning radiuses. I just hate how the game forces you to auto aim because the gunplay is so bad you basically NEED to have auto aim in order to beat the harder missions. They made Max Payne so I know they COULD have better gameplay. It just feels like the shooting mechanics is the last thing they work on in these games.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you're using the word standard wrong here. It's not going to be any kind of standard cause even most big AAA studios aren't going to be able/willing to put those kind of resources into their games.

I feel like you're more talking about "the new bar to surpass" and I say this as someone that thought the gameplay in red dead 2 was pretty uninspired and broken in a lot of places.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I heavily disagree with your assertions about the story.

It's not bold or deep and it cannot decide what to do with it's own characters, it gets even worse if you play a "good" Arthur. Pretty obvious that the writers had no idea how to write a consistent story.

Not to mention it has the issue of being a prequel. It couldn't beat out RDR1 for me, which while it had it's own issue like Marston still has a better story.

Now to give you something nice after all this negative stuff you probably don't care for, here's a review by a professional writer, someone who gaming writers aside from Avellone on a good day or Robert Kurvitz cannot touch. No one at Rockstar or god forbid ND has the talent for that.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Joe Abercrombie

Well, well, well. A most welcome and long-awaited return for Rockstar’s open-world western extravaganza that one might call Grand Theft Auto’s more contemplative, sombre and somewhat less psychotic cousin. The first game (I mean, yeah, it’s a theoretical sequel to Red Dead Revolver but that was...
You're welcome to think what you will of the narrative, but reading that link you posted didn't impress me in particular. I'm in the camp who found a lot of their choices to be excellent and the amount of great scripted performances to be astonishing. It feels a bit pretentious to say this as well:
...here's a review by a professional writer, someone who gaming writers aside from Avellone on a good day or Robert Kurvitz cannot touch. No one at Rockstar or god forbid ND has the talent for that.
But I'm sure the guy you linked is great at his YA novels, I'm just not familiar with them.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I feel so desensitized by my "urban Earth life" to have ever thought RDR2 would be able to capture the world so fantastically, so beautifully.

It's incredible how much they did and how much it accomplished.
The hard work shows and it paid off.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Beautiful gifs OP, but Horizon Zero Fun? Horizon and even TW3 offer a million times more fun than the zero freedom borefest that is RDR2. RDR2 is just a very linear game with extreme handholding and zero player agency (it's even more linear than Call of Duty) in a very impressive open world. I cannot think of another game that made me happier when the credits rolled.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
The game really is amazing, I didn't do absolutely everything but I did finish the game. The world is just amazing, beautiful and fun to explore imo. I could look at those gifs you posted all day. The characters, the world, the music, the story and the gameplay were fantastic. It'll be a shame if there isn't an expansion or some story dlc.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I`ve never been a fan of Rockstar`s games, but RDR2 blew me away. GOTG.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
are instead going to focus much more on capitulating to "what video game players want" by making their games more toy-like/game-y. And if they do this, I'll be incredibly sad, but I won't be surprised.

They don't necessarily need to do this, but they need to start opening things up inside the missions where a player can decide how they want to tackle it. I mean their engine is perfectly set up for this.

I remember there was an instance in GTA4 once where I had a chase a person on a bike mission. I went into thinking "let's nail him nice and quick and get this done soon" - but the game doesn't want you to, it wants you to chase, have certain events happen and then face down in a certain point. I also remember this in LA Noire, where you were not able to bring chases to an early conclusion through ingenuity or plain skill, it had to happen in a certain way. Moreso than anything, that makes it feel gamey, the big strings behind the scenes being exposed and the fat fail states if you stray from the path.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Stories in the open-world and character interactions in the camp are really great, there are ton of small and big details in the game and the game looks gorgeous on the PC but the desing of the main quests is so, so stuck in the past just as is the case with the majority of Rockstar's games.. for example the Witcher 3 quest desing is more free and open than that in RDR2
This video perfectly tells what I mean

Still a great game, but far from perfect

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I can't THIS hard enough

Rockstar Games.

Masterclass in world building
Masterclass in characters and writing
Just so good at creating worlds and breathing them to life.

Absolutely DOGSHIT at gameplay. And I don't even care about the normal things people hark on them for (clunky character controls) I'm ok with my avatar having weight and realistic turning radiuses. I just hate how the game forces you to auto aim because the gunplay is so bad you basically NEED to have auto aim in order to beat the harder missions. They made Max Payne so I know they COULD have better gameplay. It just feels like the shooting mechanics is the last thing they work on in these games.

this is my exact sentiment. They're masters at the craft, but holy fucking hell their gameplay is trash. RDR2 is solid as fuck but it's such a slog, clunky as fuck in character controls, and the pacing is ABYSMAL. Like sure, it's one thing to have a serious story with serious moments and intentionally slow sections, but man, to have an entire game that's built around "slow" makes the entire experience very dull. RDR2 is great and all but it's easily the dullest great game ever made.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
It's pretty to look at, but I found the writing to be weak as hell, and the game generally boring. I'm close to the end of the game, but much like FF15, going from point A to point B kills any desire I have to play, and sometimes any desire I have to stay awake.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great post OP. incredible game. just finished a pc playthrough a few weeks ago myself. Playing with M+KB made it so much better for me personally.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Is the PC version ready for prime time?
Yes.

It's definitely a long epic fucking journey and I get that it's hard for some people to finish it. But the character interaction is well worth the long rides without fast travel options. This game really (wants to) slow you down, taking in every detail they have thought out and implemented, take your time with it and enjoy a less hectic era than ours. You kind of have to shift your mindset but once I managed I couldn't stop playing. All the strangers, subplots and dramatic arcs of the main plot are really something else. Then you have the soundtrack, the visuals, the animation quality. Only thing I dislike are the controls, but apart from that the gameplay is awesome and shooting/hitting enemies and riding across the prairie is so much fun.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Great GIFs! Easy game of the generation for me, it's like perfectly crafted for all my tastes.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Played through it three times already and loved every minute of it. It is a bit longer than prior Rockstar games, but still so much fun. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will give it some DLC love in the future.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe my biggest dissapointments of the gen for me. It looks amazing and there is a great game in there, but there are so many decisions that rockstar did that prevents me from truly enjoying it.