1. Stygr

Stygr
    Member OP

2. BD64

BD64

Does Aaron Greenberg not consider Switch a “Gen 8” console? What weird phrasing

edit
    Clearly the "Gen #" classifiers have confused me

3. No surprise. Hope we can get an idea of the numbers next week.

4. Lost

Lost

-

5. Tito

Tito

The wording makes me think revenue numbers.

6. Milennia

Milennia
    Community Resetter Member

switch gen 9

7. Wow nice Ninty!
    Also damn PUBG is lit :P

Edit: oh PR.... hmmm lets wait and see.

8. LuigiV

LuigiV

Switch is Gen 9.

9. Platy

Platy

Love how the second a nintendo console sells a lot it falls from the generation.

But the xbox one x is not the "best selling generation 8.5 console" =P

10. Switch is Gen 9. Everyone knows it, no one wants to admit it. Wii U is Nintendo's Gen 8 console.

11. ChemicalWorld

ChemicalWorld

Clutching the bottom of the PR barrel lol

12. Raijinto

Raijinto

Well that's his weird opening statement clarified then.

Dunno how kosher it is for him to detail the rankings on Twitter like he has done.

13. Malvingt2

Malvingt2

Gen 9

14. This is going to be another 20+ pages thread about this tweet wording, right?

15. Trago

Trago

So the Switch won NPD last month?

16. audisio

audisio

Switch is actually gen 9th... wii u was gen 8th.

Not in raw power, but as sequel from nintendo go.

17. FelipeMGM

FelipeMGM
    #Skate4 Moderator

So Switch sold the most units but the Xbox family generated the most revenue?

Kinda like last November, but with Switch on top instead of PS4

EDIT: ok, maybe it just beat PS4 in units but wasnt #1 in revenue overall.

This is weird stuff

18. Dr. Caroll

Dr. Caroll

The Switch is in an awkward position because portables generally aren't placed in traditional generational classes.

19. Cyborg

Cyborg

Aaron proud.......

20. Ardiloso

Ardiloso

Hold me. They're coming.
    oprahholdinghands.gif

21. mclem

mclem

I assume he's contextualising it as the Switch not being direct competition (which I'm not quite sure I agree with, but I'll accept it's a reasonable position to have)

22. cw_sasuke

cw_sasuke

Sounds like it - not surprising though.
    November was different because PS4/XBO had massive sales but if all systems are sold for their MSRP the Switch has obv. its advantage.

Looking forward to see how XB2 did.

23. Generations are almost meaningless at this point and should be disregarded in general. But I guess they can help you spin numbers around..

24. spman2099

spman2099

The PS4 has sold a shocking amount of consoles, it makes sense that the market is going to slow down for them a little. I'm sure some people will start picking up the Xbox One as a companion to their PS4s, so that should help Microsoft. However, if they can keep up with the demand, I assume the Switch is going to "win" most months for the foreseeable future. It is the perfect companion system to the PS4 AND it brings a lot of its own appeal. It is going to have some monster years going forward.

25. z0m3le

z0m3le

For those people saying the Switch is a 9th gen console, you could make the argument that it's main feature is more advanced than the other consoles and technically, it's architecture both CPU and GPU is more advanced as well, so for argument's sake, it's not wrong to call the Switch a 9th gen console, especially if you think performance isn't the only metric.

26. What's a WiiU

27. N.Domixis

N.Domixis

I guess generations matter again.

28. z0m3le

z0m3le

I think it was a Wii add-on.

29. Mr.Deadshot

Mr.Deadshot

Switch sure feels like GEN7 ;)
    Also it's more of a handheld than a console?
    Also console generations are dead. Hat are Pro and X? 8.5?

30. Zedark

Zedark

Wii controller, right?

31. FairyEmpire

FairyEmpire

Great result for Microsoft, between PUBG, Forza getting the highest ratings with this season's racing games, Cuphead, the X and all the upgraded games it's a good time to have an Xbox, and sales show that. This year should have some nice games by MS too so we'll see if they manage to keep that pace for a while.

32. bytesized

bytesized

God i hate PR speak....

33. Git

Git

Congrats Nintendo you presumably sold the most and resurrected Microsoft's use of generations.

Why is Greenberg so bad at pr

34. LordKano

LordKano

Not surprised, Xbox still has the X launch effect and Nintendo's consoles are usually more boosted on December than the others.

35. Lexxism

Lexxism

No one would like to admit but Switch is 9th generation.

36. Theorry

Theorry

He clearly says outsold.

37. A miserable pile of failures. But enough talk, have at you.

38. Chris Walken

Chris Walken

I have to say i never expected this big turn around from Nintendo, after WiiU and the decreasing of the portable market i thought they were destined to be a third party.

Well, glad i am wrong, what a console...as a PC gamer 2017 was 50% PC and 50% Switch, that never happened to me with other console since i started playing on PC.

39. LoyalPhoenix

LoyalPhoenix
    Banned Member

the dude literally said Switch sold the most followed by Xbox then Playstation

yall need to chill lmao, this is as blatant as can be. This isnt some PR stunt lol

40. z0m3le

z0m3le

Well also PS4's sale price went back to normal right? and it sold more than it ever had in November, so the draw for sales was in November.

41. spman2099

spman2099

Are you against a more holistic, proactive approach to integrating, and streamlining, our language?

42. chromatic9

chromatic9

PUBG stimulus package seems to have worked.

43. Git

Git

When's Aaron writing a book.

1001 Ways to Word it Worse

Aaron Greenberg: A PR Story

44. LoyalPhoenix

LoyalPhoenix
    Banned Member

Switch is Gen 9. WiiU was 8

45. fantomena

fantomena
    Banned Member

I don't believe anything coming from Aaron.

46. Zappy

Zappy

He's not. He's interacting with fans (something MS are very good at) over social media. He's actually supplying information requested that he easily could have ignored as a clarification to his earlier tweet.

47. BumbaT BrowN

BumbaT BrowN

Good to know all three did really well but it was expected. This next year will be a boon for consumers due to the competition.

48. panda-zebra

panda-zebra

xbox very likely sold less in 2017 that it did in 2016, 2015 and 2014. Slowest full year of sales.

49. FairyEmpire

FairyEmpire

PR talk but it seems to me it's quite clear. Xbox outsould PlayStation. Switch outsold both. Wii U was Nintendo's gen 8 console, Switch was released 4 years after Xbox One and PS4 and is, by all means, gen 9. Not sure why it's so complicated.

50. black070

black070

Thread title should be changed no ? Xbox One didn't outsell the Switch.