• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't give a crap about who's in first. I just like that all are in a relatively healthy state.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is surprising. The PS4 did go on sale again in December and lots of people on here were talking about how well it was supposedly selling. Hmm...must be the PUBG effect! What an amazing get for Microsoft!!!

Oct 26, 2017
He's not. He's interacting with fans (something MS are very good at) over social media. He's actually supplying information requested that he easily could have ignored as a clarification to his earlier tweet.

Fair enough actually - although I'm convinced he could have at least worded it better :P i.e. not make the Switch look like some exception

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to know all three did really well but it was expected. This next year will be a boon for consumers due to the competition.
Its safe to say that now with the switch released and being so successful all 3 are well now. Im curious how Gen 9 will go with Xbox and Playstation with Switch already starting the generation so well.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
PR talk but it seems to me it's quite clear. Xbox outsould PlayStation. Switch outsold both. Wii U was Nintendo's gen 8 console, Switch was released 4 years after Xbox One and PS4 and is, by all means, gen 9. Not sure why it's so complicated.

it's perceived as a "middle-of-the-generation" device so people aren't sure where it stands.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Fair enough actually - although I'm convinced he could have at least worded it better :P i.e. not make the Switch look like some exception

His job is to market Xbox. He can't go round tweeting "Nintendo switch won NPD".

He reported what was in the NPD report. Which he didn't have to. MS haven't made a formal statement.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
25aa0eb755ab2f29bd346753b079997e.gif

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's perceived as a "middle-of-the-generation" device so people aren't sure where it stands.

I mean it makes sense if the comparison isn't that direct. With Wii U, Nintendo decided to go into its own direction, whereas Xbox and PlayStation continue playing their generational game. Given Sony and Xbox "just" released a mid-gen upgrade chances are their consoles won't be out for a couple more years, at which point Nintendo might come back to releasing a console that is timed similarly as the others. But for now, it is what it is. The message was clear: they're happy they outsold the "biggest" console in December, and congratulated Nintendo for outselling both with their new console. Seems straightforward.

Oct 30, 2017
In the US, also Switch don't count

Instead of PR talk they should just say Xbox One outsold PS4 in the US in December.

Next they are gonna go all out and say Xbox One is the best selling console starting with the letter X

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
They only seem to make these twitter announcements when it does actually outsell ps4 which is like 2-3 times every year.

It's funny how they keep quiet otherwise lol.
love how they spin their PR with Switch as well.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People somehow having difficulty reading his tweet just goes to show schools cant teach people how to read english...holy crap.

edit: RIP WiiU, people dont even remember you were gen 8. feelsbadman.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Thread is about December, also didn't they have their best month ever in November? Nobody talked about the entire year. The pace is good right now, what remains to be seen is how long they can mantain it.
Pace and momentum are not something defined by a single or pair of monthly sales figures. As a whole, the xbox one sold less than it did in any previous full calendar year. xbox one always discounts heavily and sells best in the holiday months, then falls off a cliff in January. If January sees unprecedented xbox one sales and than continues into February and March, then you can talk about maintaining a pace.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Most overal units he said.
Only said that about the Switch. He didn't say Xbox outsold PS4 in units sold, too me it reads as revenue, which makes sense, since the Xbox One X costs more than twice a PS4. Would not be the first time they speak in revenue numbers.

We have no way to know right now.

Oct 26, 2017
His job is to market Xbox. He can't go round tweeting "Nintendo switch won NPD".

He reported what was in the NPD report. Which he didn't have to. MS haven't made a formal statement.

I know it just seemed a really weird way to frame their own success.

I mean...it is tho, Its Gen 9 unlike PS4 and Xbox One and the one platform they didnt outsell making it the exception.

Aye I know it's a different gen but I thought generations didn't matter anymore to MS. Just found the framing strange.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth mentioning that the XB1S was priced $100 or more less than the lowest priced PS4 for 4 of the 5 weeks in the teacher month so to some extent it'd be pretty damning if it didn't come out favorably on a unit sold basis. I am curious what the splits ended up being for the month though.

Also yes it is genuinely hilarious what he spouted in his initial tweet given that his follow up clarified he basically just excluded the highest selling platform from consideration. That's like saying "DSL has the fastest internet available" and proclaiming it's true since you are excluding Fiber because it's newer. It's asinine.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pace and momentum are not something defined by a single or pair of monthly sales figures. As a whole, the xbox one sold less than it did in any previous full calendar year. xbox one always discounts heavily and sells best in the holiday months, then falls off a cliff in January. If January sees unprecedented xbox one sales and than continues into February and March, then you can talk about maintaining a pace.

Which is what I said, it remains to be seen how they'll do this year. And the other thing I said remains true: their last 2 months were great. Not sure why it was necessary to point out the rest of the year was not? We knew that for a while.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
After a strong November at $199, PS4s we're likely supply constrained.

Microsoft had some insane deals with $189 Bundes and free bonus games, but still lost out to Switch. It's clear that Xbox is going to be overtaken by Switch.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He could be wrong, but hey at least he said, that Switch outsold their console. Does not seems to me as some PR spin.
This is the very definition of PR spin. He's using useless quantifiers to make the XBO #1 in a narrow range of attributes. It's like saying McDs sold the most burgers when the question is about overall fast food sales regardless of what is sold.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those people saying the Switch is a 9th gen console, you could make the argument that it's main feature is more advanced than the other consoles and technically, it's architecture both CPU and GPU is more advanced as well, so for argument's sake, it's not wrong to call the Switch a 9th gen console, especially if you think performance isn't the only metric.

It's certainly 9th gen on the portable side, being over 10 times stronger than a Vita.