• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to both Nintendo and Microsoft. It's good to see competition flourishing and not having one company dominating the US console market every month. Especially competition from new consoles.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
The tweet is obviously inferring the PS4 & Xbox One to be gen 8 conoles, doing so to make the company he works for look better. For our purposes it doesn't matter, for the next 1-2 years it'll be PS4/Switch/Xbox One and their potential revisions and that's that. The gen comparison doesn't do anything for us.
I think Switch has a long life time with many power bump iterations like their handhelds. It will probably last well into next generation.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it gets extremely toxic so i wanted to compile some posts as reference. Its unfair that if people who want serious discussion of positive Xbox news, we have to filter out so many attempts to derail conversation.
Unfortunately dont see it changing especially any time soon.

At least the Screenshot threads are nice lol

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Switch is Gen 8
Wii U was Gen 7.5 as it was just a mid gen refresh of the Wii
PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Wii U, etc. All the same thing

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
It's units. The above is correct. It's all in the OP.
Then that's that, congratulations Microsoft. The PUGB helped a lot I guess. And Xbox One X looks more and more appealing, since PC components are so darn expensive nowadays.

Also great to see the Switch outselling everything, great little console.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The spin was in the previous tweet, where he mentioned they had the best share by ignoring the switch. But any call out of a spin is met with desperation to dismiss it. This indeed really needs to stop.

But this is how things work everywhere. You won't see a company boasting "not winning". They'll mention they've beaten a certain rival, they'll mention they sold better than 12 months ago, they'll mention it's their best month since 2015 or whatever. What PR is it when you go "oh btw NINTENDO SWITCH won the month and we lost to it lol". Knowing this, it was actually pretty straight-forward: Xbox outsold PlayStation, Switch outsold both.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is Gen 8

You can't buy a Wii U game and stick it in a Wii and have it play. That's not how it works. Equating Wii U to PS4 Pro and Xbox One X is disingenuous.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

This gif needs to be updated haha

Switch is Gen 8

I'm pretty sure for NPD tracking and reporting purposes both Wii U and Switch are gen 8. EDIT: Nevermind, generations are now antiquated concepts.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Switch has a long life time with many power bump iterations like their handhelds. It will probably last well into next generation.

Yeah my 1-2 years is referring to the inevitable PS5 and next Xbox. Once we reach that point the gen question (my god that sounds a bit pathetic lol) will be relevant but obviously until then the only systems are those 3 I mentioned. I don't see why shoehorning the Wii U or Switch into one generation or another is relevant at all.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which part of the tweet do you find confusing?

The first part where he says "Xbox outsold PS4 in December"?
Or the second part where he says "Switch had most overall units"?

But...he did. It's very easy to understand. He said they outsold PS4, but Switch outsold everyone.

You cant actually believe the tweet is confusing can you?

It's more about the 8th gen nonsense.

FullMetalTech

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, New York
Regardless this is good news for the gaming industry. Consoles and software are selling and we can get them to put out and invest in good titles like they did with Cuphead, Pubg, Horizon, Mario Odessy, BOTW etc. Ill wait til next week but Aaron doesnt have a good track record when it comes to talking.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Yeah my 1-2 years is referring to the inevitable PS5 and next Xbox. Once we reach that point the gen question (my god that sounds a bit pathetic lol) will be relevant but obviously until then the only systems are those 3 I mentioned. I don't see why shoehorning the Wii U or Switch into one generation or another is relevant at all.
Wii U just launched early with a underpowered console. It still is in same generation as XB1, it lasted over 3 years into this generation and the Switch feels next gen, even now. Combining handheld and home console is awesome, I hope PS5/XB2 has a portable option.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Congrats to Nintendo and Microsoft. Would love to know how much of an impact the One X had this month.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
The tweet is obviously inferring the PS4 & Xbox One to be gen 8 conoles, doing so to make the company he works for look better. For our purposes it doesn't matter, for the next 1-2 years it'll be PS4/Switch/Xbox One and their potential revisions and that's that. The gen comparison doesn't do anything for us.

Ok, thanks.

Do you think they could make a distinction between PS4/Xbone and Pro/X/Switch as different gens ?

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Congrats Nintendough :)

What are Nintendo's margins, considering the high cost of their storage media etc?

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a weird thread. Tweet is incredibly straightforward
Yep, I don't see any spin. The tweets are as clear as they could be. Of course he's going to talk about his own company's success before praising the competition for doing better; anyone who's trying to sell something would do the same. That's not a spin, that's being smart.

I don't see the problem with his first tweet either. "Xbox had its best December ever." What's wrong with that?

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Switch is Gen 8
The Wii U wasn't a mid gen refresh of the Wii, it was a completely new HD console with an exclusive library of games.

The Switch just demonstrates that the concept of game "generations" is a bit limited for discussion.