• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IbizaPocholo

Oct 28, 2017
Ibiza
https://www.mcvuk.com/business/xbox...ms-and-allowing-them-to-operate-independently

THE E3 STUDIOS

If Game Pass is to be a success then, like Netflix, it will increasingly need must-have content. Which brings us back to that huge multi-studio announcement from E3 and some insight into how that came together.

"It was special to be able to do that," Greenberg tells us proudly, having worked with all the studios in the lead-up to the big day. "We knew we were growing our first-party investment, but to be able to time it right, there's a lot of contracts and process you have to work through."

Even more impressive was that the deals hadn't leaked, making it a massive surprise: "That's the fun part, people want to be surprised, and it was great when Phil [Spencer] went up there and announced first one, then two, three, four… five! I can't think of an E3 were anyone's announced even one acquisition."

Announcing business acquisitions shows how consumers care more and more about the industry and the teams that make their games. Greenberg thinks there's been a huge rise in the "detail and enthusiasm" that fans share with each other for their favourite games: "When we said Ninja Theory, everyone knew their pedigree, the same with Playground. And that makes it more appropriate for a show like that."

We ask if the raft of simultaneous acquisitions amounted to a grand change in strategy, even an admittance that the breadth of the line-up wasn't all it should have been in recent years.

"We were really deliberate in that we wanted to grow our investment in our first-party studios," he replies cautiously. "And we were really thoughtful about how we wanted to do that, part of it is to go find some of the world's greatest creative teams, which are independent, and which make a fit for us.

He's keen to impress upon us that all the new studios will remain creatively independent: "This was first and foremost about finding the world's greatest teams, who can bring new types of content to our first-party studios, and allow them to continue to operate independently," he tells us, before adding: "If you think about a game like Hellblade, how many big companies would have greenlit a game like that? But it's brilliant and it addresses a lot of important issues. Those are the types of teams that really inspire us and it's a privilege to be able to work with them. For them to become part of our team provides financial security, access to resources and tech capabilities, and still the creative independence to go and do what they want to do. These teams they would have never wanted to partner and work with us if that wasn't part of the conditions. I think we have a good track record of doing that: look at Mojang, which has stayed independent and stayed focused.

"It's an exciting time, we've essentially doubled our creative studios overnight, and it just shows that commitment to invest more."

Check the link for more.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah let's see one of them try not to do a sequel to a monster hit game they make.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like Uncharted 1-4? Like Last of Us 1-2? Like Infamous 1-3? Like Killzone 1-4? Like God of War 1-4?

I could keep going but what's the point?

That they won't be as willing to let them do whatever once they delivery a big hit...I guess? like Mario, like halo, like Zelda, like Forza.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Console wars, thread derailment, history of similar
The world greatest teams. Sure. More the only availables to be acquired. Never change GreeDberg.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
That they won't be as willing to let them do whatever once they delivery a big hit...I guess? like Mario, like halo, like Zelda, like Forza.

Expecting a publisher to not follow successful titles with sequels would be silly. This is a business and they have to generate revenue to cover those experimental titles.

If the new teams create a unique experience and it becomes successful, every fan would ask for more.

I don't see anyone NOT asking for a Horizon follow up, or Dark Souls, or Last of Us. Why? Because they were good games that demanded more of the same content.

It's okay to replicate successful IP.

Nov 8, 2017
Thread is off to a good start I see.

Just PR fluff but there have been big changes and I'm excited by the prospect of a Microsoft investing heavily in games again.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Gamepass is to be the success they want it to be then this (the investing in 1st party thing) needs to go well for them.

These are the studios that will produce games that will allow them to have a competitive advantage over other competing services as they arrive. At some point they will need a "Stranger Things" moment.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah let's see one of them try not to do a sequel to a monster hit game they make.

What? The developer themselves is going to want to follow up if the game is a hit. Why wouldn't they? New IP don't grow on trees, and if one fails it could take you out. Why wouldn't you WANT to capitalize on the success of your latest game if it worked out?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Not at all. Stop being a troll.
I don't see how I'm trolling. Greenberg is like a fanboy when release PR statement and barely he know of what he talking about. This guy should leaves MS from awhile imo. Hardly those studios will be free to do whatever they want and with all respect for them they are a very modest developers not surely the best of the industry.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
We'll have to wait to see what the quality of their studios is going to be. But it's undeniable that they are growing.

- They have acquired 4 studios and are setting a new one up in Santa Monica: The Initiative
- Playground Games has opened a second studio (and currently have 100+ job openings)
- Rare has doubled in size and are still hiring
- 343i is at 400+ developers right now, while The Coalition has also grown
- Compulsion, Ninja Theory, Undead Labs are also hiring
- There are rumours they are going to acquire more studios (recent rumour is Obsidian Entertainment)

I don't see how I'm trolling. Greenberg is like a fanboy when release PR statement and barely he know of what he talking about. This guy should leaves MS from awhile imo. Hardly those studios will be free to do whatever they want and with all respect for them they are a very modest developers not surely the best of the industry.

I'll ignore your trolling and answer in a serious way:
- Playground Games can be viewed as one of the best developers in the world. They have just released a 92 metacritic game.
- Ninja Theory, while not in a list of the best developers in the world, does create high class AA titles
- I agree that Undead Labs and Compulsion have everything to prove. So yes; these are not high pedigree studios.
- Greenberg is the PR man, ofc he talks PR.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ninja Theory and Playground are the ones to watch. They have already delivered great content this gen and who knows what they can do under a first party umbrella.

The world greatest teams. Sure. More the only availables to be acquired. Never change GreeDberg.

This thread is off to a great start, I see.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what this thread is about.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least they have more than they're staple franchises to rely on now in the future, they're back to being interesting again.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Let's see if said studio's project don't get cancelled due to Microsoft's internal fighting bs.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see what the SP/GaaS split will be as MS has been clear on wanting to make a splash in the GaaS sector moving forward and how service games are key to growing Game Pass. Ninja Theory sure, but I have my doubts a new big West Coast studio like The Initiative will focus on SP.

PerfectFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's probably the most pragmatic thing for them to do. While the relationship is still fresh give them free reign and if a studio pumps out a dud you can just crack the whip or close them. Plus everyone is more motivated and happy, in general. Good on Microsoft.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Stop derailing this thread. You already been warned by others here.
I don't derailed anything I criticised his words with sarcasm. Which it seems has touched the nerve of a lot of people. My excuse for that. But this thread is about Greenberg quote. I'd like to hear him to say something of serious and concrete sometime. It seems he is hired to hype things and nothing more. That's my point of views of course.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's probably the most pragmatic thing for them to do. While the relationship is still fresh give them free reign and if a studio pumps out a dud you can just crack the whip or close them. Plus everyone is more motivated and happy, in general. Good on Microsoft.

That's how I see it, as well.

I don't derailed anything I criticised his words. This thread is about Greenberg quote. I'd like to hear him to say something of serious and concrete. It seems he is hired to hype things and nothing more. That's my point of views of course.

Your original post said "Greedspencer". You are not fooling anyone arround here. lol

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Like Uncharted 1-4? Like Last of Us 1-2? Like Infamous 1-3? Like Killzone 1-4? Like God of War 1-4?

I could keep going but what's the point?

I'm pretty sure those teams have the freedom to make a different game if they like, given that several of them have. How did that go for Bungie?

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't derailed anything I criticised his words with sarcasm. Which it seems has touched the nerve of a lot of people. My excuse for that. But this thread is about Greenberg quote. I'd like to hear him to say something of serious and concrete sometime. It seems he is hired to hype things and nothing more. That's my point of views of course.
The fact that you've conveniently ignored the one post rebuking your rubbish shows your real intentions in this thread.

Oct 25, 2017

Let's hope not. They did that with a relatively recent acquisition in their culling a while back.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how I'm trolling ........... Hardly those studios will be free to do whatever they want and with all respect for them they are a very modest developers not surely the best of the industry.
Seriously? And you say he has no idea what he's talking about?

To belittle the achievements of those devs, especially considering one of them is launching a game sitting at 92 on metacritc right now, is ridiculous.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I hope they don't buy some of my favorite PC oriented studios. I would hate to see their games being locked to the terrible Windows Store.

Last edited: