• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mark my words, next-gen is going to be a much closer battle. Microsoft is really start to bring it. They showed us that they can do hardware properly, they'be showed their commitment to software with their 5 studio acquisitions and now we need to see the quality churned out from these studios.

Playground have already proven what kind of greatness they can unleash and I am excited to see what their open world project is.

I don't think this is just PR speak. Xbox is serious this time and its got its house in order. Now its time to reap the rewards.

Next gen is going to be fun!

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
The Xbox brand is pretty dead outside of the US, UK and some smaller markets. That's not going to change.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox brand is pretty dead outside of the US, UK and some smaller markets. That's not going to change.

We've witnessed multiple times over how the gaming landscape can change in the space of a single generation. It's unlikely that Sony aren't the clear market leaders again next time around but you just never know how things can change when the consoles are revealed.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We've witnessed multiple times over how the gaming landscape can change in the space of a single generation. It's unlikely that Sony aren't the clear market leaders again next time around but you just never know how things can change when the consoles are revealed.
Even last gen they were weak WW, that didn't change, it was always like that.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have a hell of a long way to go to catch up with Sony's first party output, of that there is no doubt.

But MS already acquiring 4 studios, opening another, and aggressively expanding their existing studios is a little more than PR speak.
Not really, It's still PR speak through and through especially from Greenberg. I hope because of what they have done will make a difference for their first party but it's still a wait and see.
It's not going to change in those regions. Microsoft seems to have no interest in other markets other than the US and UK.

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Proof is in the pudding.

Start producing world class 1st party content and we can talk.

Apart from that it's just marketing spiel in place of 1st party content since they are sorely lacking in that area, because they are a distant 3rd behind Sony and Nintendo with relation to output and quality.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Bungie wanted to create another sci-fi FPS space epic with aliens. I can't imagine why MS didn't see value in having competing sci fi shooter franchises ...

So yeah, I guess the whole exchange "yo dawg ..." makes more sense between both parties. Props to MS for allowing Bungie to leave and sign with another publisher. Good guy MS huh?
you mean Bungie wanted to make more of the thing that they were known for and put them on the map? im shocked. the fact that Microsoft probably saw it the way you described is exactly the problem... they ended up getting that competition anyway, on multiple platforms, with exclusive DLC to playstation... the absolute brilliance of stifling the creative freedom of your premier 1st party studio amirite?

They "allowed" them to buy their name out because they were facing a mass exodus and PR disaster, they don't own the individuals... at the time, clearly there was nothing good about their treatment of Bungie

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
First comment in an Xbox thread, par for the course. Good thing Nintendo and Sony are not doing a billion sequels to their Marios, Zeldas, Uncharteds and so on, and that MS did not release games like Sea Of Thieves in this generation - oh wait.

Dont worry, Spiderman and God of war will never get sequels. Sony is just too cool that way.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Thing is Sony Santa Monica has worked on other things outside of God of war, and are able to work on a new IP, which they maybe currently. Guerilla wont return to killzone for a while since they were given a chance and a lot of money/time to develop Horizon. Naughty Dog is free to work on whatever they want. Which is why their catelog history is really diverse from Crash, to Jak, to Uncharted to last of us and beyond. Look at Sucker punch? They chose to make those sequels for Infamous, but now are making a Feudal Japan game.

Where is that with those established studio like 343? You would think after the ups and down of halo over 2 games and a collection that maybe MS would take a step back and let these guys make something their own so when they come back to halo it can be fresh and exciting again.

Buying studios is different then actually hearing seeing things from those studios and knowing the size scale of them. They bought a bunch of studios, but until we see anything it's all vaporware. Same goes for whatever studio Sony is planning to buy/create. You say that your 1-3 list have all been addressed, yet they havn't. Only thing that's been addressed is they spend money to buy studios so they could make more games. And thats something that wont be fulfilled until we see the games. Microsoft has done this before, promise some games, or things to come, then to have them kind of get cancelled, forgotten or closed.

Until we see the fruits of this investment, it's all just words and promises. Which has been Xbox most of all this gen, and some of last gen as well.
I feel that you are making comments without regard for what we know.

Rod Fergusson has stated that The Coalition is a Gears of War studio, and that is what he wants the studio to be associated with. It is a choice just as it was their choice to do Gears in the first place. I have stated that I would love for the to continue making Gears of War but should the opportunity arise let them open a new studio to do new things. Naughty Dog has been able to accomplish what they have done especially last generation and this one because they had two development teams. This is not applicable to either The Coalition or 343i.

I will also be very clear on this; there is a push from people to have Microsoft operate in the same manner as Sony do. That is not what we need. We need for Microsoft to chart their path and to find meaningful solutions in gaming. They need to do their own thing and have faith that the process will lead to top level product.

While there are complaints that teams need to be allowed to do something new, what slips is that Microsoft now has roughly the same amount of development teams as Sony. I count 12 total and they are still looking to expand these. With this we will begin to see a combination of new and old IP, a more diverse content pool to choose from. This is what people have been asking for.

It is also strange to see you asking that 343i be allowed to do something different. Microsoft consoles will always have Halo, Forza and going forward Gears and possibly Fable. These are the games that define the console just as Sony Santa Monica have not released a game not called God of War since Kinetica in 2001 or Polyphony Digital since the PS1. It is an arbitrary demand not based on anything concrete.

To conclude, there is no developer with a divine right to produce mind blowing games. Each game can be good or bad before it releases. Microsoft is also not the only company that cancels games or shuts studios, it is only spoken of so strongly because they have been lacking in studios and quality games in the action adventure genre. That is it. They have cornered racers, shooters and their investment in Cuphead and Ori as platformers have been great value for gamers. The only place they lack is RPG's and adventure games and they are looking to address that. That is all you can ask for as a consumer, anything else is bias.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, It's still PR speak through and through especially from Greenberg. I hope because of what they have done will make a difference for their first party but it's still a wait and see..

So when Greenberg says they are finding the world's greatest teams and allowing them to operate independently, what do you think he actually means?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
What developers/publishers leave money on the table by not doing a sequel to a monster hit?
Valve.
Gabe-holding-up-three-fingers...-WE-ALL-KNOW-WHAT-THIS-MEANS.png

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
The only studio i'm really interested in from their list is ninja theory, and that's only because of enslaved.
What a game that was.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
We've been hearing stuff like this from MS for the last few years now.

At some point they need to stop talking and come up with the goods.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I feel that you are making comments without regard for what we know.

Rod Fergusson has stated that The Coalition is a Gears of War studio, and that is what he wants the studio to be associated with. It is a choice just as it was their choice to do Gears in the first place. I have stated that I would love for the to continue making Gears of War but should the opportunity arise let them open a new studio to do new things. Naughty Dog has been able to accomplish what they have done especially last generation and this one because they had two development teams. This is not applicable to either The Coalition or 343i.

I will also be very clear on this; there is a push from people to have Microsoft operate in the same manner as Sony do. That is not what we need. We need for Microsoft to chart their path and to find meaningful solutions in gaming. They need to do their own thing and have faith that the process will lead to top level product.

While there are complaints that teams need to be allowed to do something new, what slips is that Microsoft now has roughly the same amount of development teams as Sony. I count 12 total and they are still looking to expand these. With this we will begin to see a combination of new and old IP, a more diverse content pool to choose from. This is what people have been asking for.

It is also strange to see you asking that 343i be allowed to do something different. Microsoft consoles will always have Halo, Forza and going forward Gears and possibly Fable. These are the games that define the console just as Sony Santa Monica have not released a game not called God of War since Kinetica in 2001 or Polyphony Digital since the PS1. It is an arbitrary demand not based on anything concrete.

To conclude, there is no developer with a divine right to produce mind blowing games. Each game can be good or bad before it releases. Microsoft is also not the only company that cancels games or shuts studios, it is only spoken of so strongly because they have been lacking in studios and quality games in the action adventure genre. That is it. They have cornered racers, shooters and their investment in Cuphead and Ori as platformers have been great value for gamers. The only place they lack is RPG's and adventure games and they are looking to address that. That is all you can ask for as a consumer, anything else is bias.

Coalition is the same size as Naughty Dog if I remember they were 330 people strong during gears 4 development. That's way more than enough to have 2 teams.(for ref Gureilla is expanding to around 400, and naughty dog was around 250-300) Also choosing only to make the same game is the wrong choice. Look at what happened to Telltale recently. Gureilla would be probably a shell if of their former self if they had made another Killzone after shadowfall. Sony would have maybe kept them for engine development only at that point if another killzone came out and flopped or missed sales expectations which a lot of that series has.

Secondly no one including myself wants MS to become Sony. I would rather they double down on PC developers, and bring back the backbone of what made xbox so great when they launched the system 17 years ago.

But now they are looking at a future where they seem to care about games in the sense in how they will be on services. instead of how they will serve the platform and brand. Game pass is something that could be a staple of brand recognition for xbox, the issue is they put the cart before the horse in terms of what was on that service during a gen where their software has been uninteresting and lack luster. Hearing news about he Mouse/Keyboard support is a breath of fresh air and I hope it means more PC influence with not just player vs player but also in what types of games will be associated with the brand. Games from the past like Mech assault, Blood wake could work especially blood wake if taken to the approach of world of tanks or something. There are tons they could be doing but haven't and haven't kept great relations with a lot of the developers/ studios over the years.

I like others will always until we see proof be super skeptical of Xbox, especially when in this gen alone they tried to be all Pro PC and that didn't amount to much and hasn't been promoted prominently as their services have in a long time.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
It was all a guess hence words like assume - it's all based on what we are aware of 'today', and that is that 2020 is a likely release and Sony are likely to have BC. Not quite sure what else folk can do but speculate.

There is literally nothing that would indicate the PS5 will be BC other than wishful thinking by PlayStation owners because Microsoft is killing it in that area. In fact, there are many signs that point more toward Sony not being interested, or at the very least prepared, to offer a comparable BC solution with the PS5.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
There is literally nothing that would indicate the PS5 will be BC other than wishful thinking by PlayStation owners because Microsoft is killing it in that area. In fact, there are many signs that point more toward Sony not being interested, or at the very least prepared, to offer a comparable BC solution with the PS5.

You have any proof with that claim? Because the documents that have been floating around for the past year about BC for PS4/PRO says other wise.

"They" you speak of refers to different decision makers in a different environment. That history has no relevance.

Just because Spencer is at the helm doesn't mean that years of investing, years of having these studios make expensive projects that either never make it to vertical slice, or find an audience that they wont downsize, and or consolidate aka close a studio.

None of that is off the table as time goes on during this big investment. No one can make that claim that it will never in the future ever happen again when circumstances arise.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like Uncharted 1-4? Like Last of Us 1-2? Like Infamous 1-3? Like Killzone 1-4? Like God of War 1-4?

I could keep going but what's the point?

What? The developer themselves is going to want to follow up if the game is a hit. Why wouldn't they? New IP don't grow on trees, and if one fails it could take you out. Why wouldn't you WANT to capitalize on the success of your latest game if it worked out?

Ninja Theory and Playground are the ones to watch. They have already delivered great content this gen and who knows what they can do under a first party umbrella.

This thread is off to a great start, I see.

"Lets forget about our monster hit IP's and start from sratch! GREAT IDEA!"

First comment in an Xbox thread, par for the course. Good thing Nintendo and Sony are not doing a billion sequels to their Marios, Zeldas, Uncharteds and so on, and that MS did not release games like Sea Of Thieves in this generation - oh wait.

What developers/publishers leave money on the table by not doing a sequel to a monster hit?

Mario, uncharted, god of war, Zelda and gta to name but a few have never had sequels....

Well holy what the fuck.

Yeah, obviously most developers want to do sequels to successful games they've done. There's a thin line between developers having the freedom to do this, and do it at a reasonable pace; and publishers turning a developer into a sequel factory where they're churning out sequels way too quickly when they'd rather branch out to a new project and running a franchise into the ground.

Microsoft has historically done the latter.

Sony allowed Guerilla Games to make the new IP Horizon: Zero Dawn, and allowed Naughty Dog to branch out from the Uncharted games to make The Last of Us. Microsoft took a new studio in Vancouver they put together called Black Tusk, had them cancel a game with a new IP they had under development in order to become a Gears of War sequel factory.

Bungie negotiated their way out from under the Microsoft umbrella so they would no longer have to be a Halo sequel factory.

There is more than enough evidence of draconian suffocation of their development studios over the years that I find these quoted responses to be really weird.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I'm saying that it comes of as very petty to enter a thread that's specifically about Xbox' new first party initiative only to leave a tangentially related negative reply.
He can leave that here because is a forum and is a true statement so what you are saying doesn't make sense.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well holy what the fuck.

Yeah, obviously most developers want to do sequels to successful games they've done. There's a thin line between developers having the freedom to do this, and do it at a reasonable pace; and publishers turning a developer into a sequel factory where they're churning out sequels way too quickly when they'd rather branch out to a new project and running a franchise into the ground.

Microsoft has historically done the latter.

Sony allowed Guerilla Games to make the new IP Horizon: Zero Dawn, and allowed Naughty Dog to branch out from the Uncharted games to make The Last of Us. Microsoft took a new studio in Vancouver they put together called Black Tusk, had them cancel a game with a new IP they had under development in order to become a Gears of War sequel factory.

Bungie negotiated their way out from under the Microsoft umbrella so they would no longer have to be a Halo sequel factory.

There is more than enough evidence of draconian suffocation of their development studios over the years that I find these quoted responses to be really weird.

No.

Microsoft didn't force the studio to cancel their game. The studio had a choice between its new IP and Gears and elected to work on Gears:

"We went around the table and everybody was in favor of going for Gears of War." On Friday, January 21, 2014, Crump, former General Manager Hanno Lemke and the management team announced to the studio that its in-development project would be canceled, and Black Tusk would immediately transition toward Gears of War.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I feel like Nintendo is the only studio that kind of does this (the Animal Crossing team made Splatoon, for instance) - and that's only possible because they like to stick to one entry of a franchise per console. Their teams have time to try new things, and be reassured that they have room to fail.

But most other publishers absolutely do not follow that mentality. Unless you grow big enough to have a B-team, you're going to stay committed to a hit until it stops paying out - or you outsource it to a new dev.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Where did you pull this figure from? The Coalition definitely weren't 330 people in 2015/2016, they were 200-250 tops.

Boom!

At it's peak was at 330, which is why they were able to complete it in 2 years.

At its peak, around 330 people worked on Gears of War 4 at The Coalition, a game development studio in Vancouver, British Columbia. That number doesn't include staff at Microsoft, off-site contractors, and other studios commissioned to work on different parts of the game. Whether Gears 4 succeeds or fails will have a direct impact on Xbox One, Microsoft, and hundreds of developers and their families.

Don't know if they kept everyone since sales wise it didn't break any records nor did it outsell any of the previous titles to my knowledge.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
He can leave that here because is a forum
That's not a good reason at all. Forums have threads for a reason. This isn't Twitter.

and is a true statement so what you are saying doesn't make sense.
It's not a true statement, though. While its sales are skewed towards certain regions, it's certainly not dead in Mexico, Brazil and several countries on mainland Europe.

Saying that it won't change is 100% not a true statement. He can argue that it's an educated guess, but it would still be a guess.

And even then, defending off-topic posts with "well, it's true" is a terrible defense. I would never go into a thread about a DC movie trailer, without even commenting on the trailer's content, only to say that it will never reach 1 billion $ at the Box Office.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Sony did all that after the disaster that was the PS3 launch. Now MS is doing the same because the Xbox One was a flop compared to the 360. When big companies screw up in this industry nice things come afterwards. ALL HAIL FAILURE! YEAH!

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you mean Bungie wanted to make more of the thing that they were known for and put them on the map? im shocked. the fact that Microsoft probably saw it the way you described is exactly the problem... they ended up getting that competition anyway, on multiple platforms, with exclusive DLC to playstation... the absolute brilliance of stifling the creative freedom of your premier 1st party studio amirite?

They "allowed" them to buy their name out because they were facing a mass exodus and PR disaster, they don't own the individuals... at the time, clearly there was nothing good about their treatment of Bungie
Marty has stated on record that Bungie themselves were partly to blame as they got full of themselves and pretty arrogant, see the mass scrrew ups Bungie made with the development of Halo 2, Destiny 1 and 2 without Microsoft keeping them in check.

It's not going to change in those regions. Microsoft seems to have no interest in other markets other than the US and UK.

Geez, the X0 event in Mexico City has been cancelled already? /S

Chalfonts

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Microsoft first party is almost as good as Sony right now

One or two more acquisitions, and a greater degree of autonomy for the like of the coalition would put them over the top

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As usual, Phil and Aaron are saying everything I want to hear. I hope they can deliver! That's not meant to be a snide comment or anything. I'd just love to have some fresh, AAA experiences on Xbox. Give me the Xbox equivalent of Uncharted, The Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017

The only wishful thinking is Xbox owners hoping it's not the case. There's plenty to suggest Sony will be going for BC next gen, for a start the move to this architecture will make it easier to achieve it. Then you have some massive games releasing over the next 2 years (Last of Us 2 being a great example) which - if are not on PS5 - would be Sony completely shooting themselves in the foot. There is also other info out there to suggest Sony are more likely to support BC than not, the only thing we know is Sony want to define generations, and to do that all they need are PS5 exclusives.

I'm not saying it's 100% happening, but I would be surprised if not.

AnubisRising

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
everyone is right he should have said that they are getting the bottom of the barrel talent, the people no other studio wants /s give me a break.

they are hiring the best people that are available and are applying for the job