• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
41eFf8eH52L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So. I was talking about the Haruhi Light Novels just now and having read all, I found out its on a Hiatus since 2012. The last volume came out in 2012 in Japan, in 2013 the author said that he is working on the next volume and that was 5 years ago.
I doubt it will come out at all and you will never know what the intended ending was.

$_72.JPG

Something similar happened to X by Clamp. It is on a "Hiatus" for 15 years now or so or longer. In the meantime Clamp wrote some sequels to Tsubasa Chronicles and xxxholic, that werent popular and wrapped up quickly. So I am guessing we will never know what the real ending is.

230px-Highschool_of_the_Dead_vol01.jpg

Highschool of the Dead is another example. It was on hiatus for some years and the author died last year.

Do you know any other shows/manga/anime/movie-series or books that were abandoned by the author? And what are your thoughts on it?
I think, if the author really doesnt want to continue the series, he could at least maybe explain what his ending was supposed to be if he had one in mind.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
There are approximately ten thousand ABC dramas that didn't make it past the cliffhanger at the end of the first season.

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
Isnt it still being written?
It's in the same state that Haruhi is in. Last book in 2011. GRRM says he's writing but lord knows the actual tangible progress he's made.

He confirmed on his blog that he was still working on The Winds of Winter as of July 22, 2017, being "still months away" from finishing the book. He also indicated that it may not be published until 2018 or later.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
It's in the same state that Haruhi is in. Last book in 2011. GRRM says he's writing but lord knows the actual tangible progress he's made.

He confirmed on his blog that he was still working on The Winds of Winter as of July 22, 2017, being "still months away" from finishing the book. He also indicated that it may not be published until 2018 or later.

Oh. I didnt know that. For Haruhi though the latest news was in 2013 saying "Its almost finished".

In retrospect, Haruhi was going nowhere fast, so I'm not really surprised it ended up this way.

It started a new "arc" in the last chapter though and introduced new characters.
There was some alien monster that we still dont know how he is connected to everything

less

Oct 25, 2017
Bastard! by Kazushi Hagiwara

One of the mangas that I rather enjoyed as a teenager that has sadly been left in limbo for far too long. :(

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
In retrospect, Haruhi was going nowhere fast, so I'm not really surprised it ended up this way.
Several new plot points were introduced in the last couple novels that still aren't resolved.
As an added bonus, a new LN could finally mean a third season of the anime (or another movie)!

On topic, does HxH count? Or Berserk?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
having read hundreds of novels by amateur authors, I am very conscious about the problem.

Sometimes the author stops because of writers block, money problems, or because of some toxicity regarding their novel or the current path the novel takes.

But I'd rather have some uncompleted stories than to rely on dinosaur methods and old-school thinking of dead-tree publishers.
So I will continue to read amateur novels who can surprise me and which I supremely enjoy and are not restricted to old thinking of "such and such" must have a definitive length and a beginning middle and end.

Slice of Life and Coming of Age stories are a hundred times better without having to rely on the beginning-middle-end fallacy. You can enjoy novels which are a million words long and longer.

And sometimes, those are on hiatus....

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
Nana by Ai Yazawa. The manga has been on hiatus since 2009, and it's very close to the climax. :( I hope it gets finished someday because Nana and Hachi is soooo much like my best friend and I. Pretty much why I love the series to begin with.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Nana by Ai Yazawa. The manga has been on hiatus since 2009, and it's very close to the climax. :( I hope it gets finished someday because Nana and Hachi is soooo much like my best friend and I. Pretty much why I love the series to begin with.
I didn't want to get too into Nana once I heard it was on hiatus. Read it serialized in Shojo Beat but didn't buy any volumes of it because of it.

With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (Hikari to Tomoni… ~Jiheishōji o Kakaete~) by Keiko Tobe is a great manga, but the author died before finishing it. They ended up including her rough sketches of where the story was going to go next in the last volume.

sachiko-hikaru-and-kanon.jpg

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't want to get too into Nana once I heard it was on hiatus. Read it serialized in Shojo Beat but didn't buy any volumes of it because of it.

It's funny because I literally got into the series a month before the hiatus, lol. I still check every now and then to see if it's been updated.

Oct 26, 2017
Dragonball Super. The end of the tournament was so insane. So many unanswered questions. The 20th movie was alright, but I wonder if they'll get bring the show back.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Afterlife with Archie.

Last issue ends with Sabrina, now the bride of Cuthulu, storming into the survivor's camp with an army of followers, including a newly convertes Reggie.

Still hasn't been resolved.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I wish I had never read that or Berserk. Berserk gets chapters off and on but I don't have faith it will have a satisfying conclusion at this point.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
d gray man is a weird example because it's not really forever on hiatus but chapters come out like 4 months apart from each other these days. it has also gotten very confusing and hard to follow.

Dragonball Super. The end of the tournament was so insane. So many unanswered questions. The 20th movie was alright, but I wonder if they'll get bring the show back.
are you from the future?