• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm of the opinion that Abbey Road Side 2 is probably the greatest string of music that has ever been put together, starting with Here Comes The Sun and finishing with Her Majesty. Agree or disagree.

LittleTokyo

Oct 30, 2017
Agree, not about Modest Mouse though. Not that I dislike them but get their name out of this threads mouth. Or something..

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The whole medley is great but Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End in particular is in my top five favorite songs.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
absolutely agree. The End -> Her Majesty was the most poignant way for The Beatles to have ended their career.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to the love
you make

That's how you finish a career. What a statement.

yes, I know Her Majesty comes after. It's a hidden track, it doesn't count :P

OP
OP
konka

konka

Oct 25, 2017
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to the love
you make

Yeah, the entire album is a crazy way to finish out a career. Like, it's debatable that this is their best album.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No, you're right. When it goes into Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight, well you could say "I break down".

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to the love
you make

It's a good way to end and would've been even better had Let It Be not materialized. As for final sets of lyrics/songs/endings, The Beach Boys have 'em beat here. The two bands have a lot of history with each other, but here the boys from Hawthorne have 'em beat. Carl and Dennis are dead. Their careers have sunset. They've lived their lives. They, too, will be dead soon.

Summer's gone
I'm gonna sit and watch the waves
We laugh, we cry
We live and die
And dream about our yesterdays

That's it, man.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
The whole medley is great but Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End in particular is in my top five favorite songs.
No, you're right. When it goes into Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight, well you could say "I break down".

And it is about the build up to Golden Slumbers that makes it hit as hard as it does. That second side is so damn good, but the section mentioned here is the best part of it.

While I think the medley on Abbey Road is one of the best things ever, the more and more I listen to complete albums, the greater Sgt. Pepper becomes. It is all about the entire journey with that album, and it feels like you have to earn A Day in the Life.

I think it's Sticky Fingers, but to each their own.

Sticky Fingers is really, really damn good too. Ending with Moonlight Mile is just...damn.
I am personally in favor of Let it Bleed though.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"You Never Give Me Your Money" is the greatest song The Beatles ever recorded and having that be the start of the medleys on side 2 is just another piece of its brilliance. I'm in total agreement with people saying the build up in "Golden Slumbers" is what makes it. When "Golden slumbers fill your eyes/Smiles await you when you rise/Sleep, little darling, do not cry/And I will sing a lullaby" kicks in, I always get a little choked up.

GOD DAMN THE BEATLES ARE SO GOOD.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
It's a good way to end and would've been even better had Let It Be not materialized. As for final sets of lyrics/songs/endings, The Beach Boys have 'em beat here. The two bands have a lot of history with each other, but here the boys from Hawthorne have 'em beat. Carl and Dennis are dead. Their careers have sunset. They've lived their lives. They, too, will be dead soon.

Summer's gone
I'm gonna sit and watch the waves
We laugh, we cry
We live and die
And dream about our yesterdays

That's it, man.

yeah, Summer's Gone is pretty damn effective as a career closer. It hits you right in the feels.

As for the Let it Be thing... yeah, it came after, but to me AR will always be their final album. LiB was recorded earlier, the fact that it came after feels like a technicality to me :P

When "Golden slumbers fill your eyes/Smiles await you when you rise/Sleep, little darling, do not cry/And I will sing a lullaby" kicks in, I always get a little choked up.

oh man, that section. One of Paul's greatest vocal performances, IMHO.

Deleted member 11157

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Side A does have Oh, Darling. That song alone makes for a compelling argument for side A being better.
Love the backstory on the song. John wanted to sing it but paul vetoed and did it instead. With the exception of paul's maxwell silver hammer, side a was ptactically perfect. Again though that fn maxwell silver hammer

Eta- I think I run through the first half of the album much more often than the second for some reason. My guess for the rea son is because you can't really skip songs on this album or start from anywhere than the beginning.

And if you do, that's weird.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
yeah, Summer's Gone is pretty damn effective as a career closer. It hits you right in the feels.

As for the Let it Be thing... yeah, it came after, but to me AR will always be their final album. LiB was recorded earlier, the fact that it came after feels like a technicality to me :P

oh man, that section. One of Paul's greatest vocal performances, IMHO.
While Let it Be released after Abbey Road, most of it was recorded before Abbey Road was. So I always look at Abbey Road as the finale to the career. It makes that medley hit even harder thinking it is them signing off.

Love the backstory on the song. John wanted to sing it but paul vetoed and did it instead. With the exception of paul's maxwell silver hammer, side a was ptactically perfect. Again though that fn maxwell silver hammer

Eta- I think I run through the first half of the album much more often than the second for some reason. My guess for the rea son is because you can't really skip songs on this album or start from anywhere than the beginning.

And if you do, that's weird.
I do love Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Cmon, a happy song about a serial killer? I love how delightfully twisted it is.
Having said that, it is a weak spot on the album.

But I am not really into She's So Heavy.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Side A of "I, Robot" by Alan Parsons Project is masterful. The funky instrumental title track sets the stage for an amazing suite of songa: "I Wouldn't Want to be Like You", "Some Other Time", "Breakdown", and "Don't Let it Show." It all follows a cohesive prog narrative without shoving your face in it.

(and the whole of "Turn of a Friendly Card" might even eclipse "I, Robot.")

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think there's a better track list sequence than Yeezus's On Sight all the way to Bound 2

Space Acorn

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
It's pretty great, but then, so is every main album the Beatles released. I see shade thrown toward Let It Be, the last Beatles album I listened to. Due to its reputation, I wasn't expecting anything great, but I really like that one too, both the original and naked versions.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
I still remember the first time I listened to the Medley, it blew my freaking mind. I love it so much. I'd argue the entire the album is fantastic. I love how the A side ends with I Want You (She's so Heavy) and Here Comes the Sun serves as a palate cleanser after such a heavy (heh) song.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Love the backstory on the song. John wanted to sing it but paul vetoed and did it instead.

Moreso I love the story of how Paul basically ruined his voice by singing it time after time, day after day until his voice was finally grizzled enough to really sing it right. It just sounds like a voice that's been on tour singing every night for 8 months straight even though they hadn't played live for years. True dedication.
Revolver and Abbey Road are the two most perfect albums ever constructed.

Deleted member 11157

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But I am not really into She's So Heavy.

Wha?! That song blows my mind.

Moreso I love the story of how Paul basically ruined his voice by singing it time after time, day after day until his voice was finally grizzled enough to really sing it right. It just sounds like a voice that's been on tour singing every night for 8 months straight even though they hadn't played live for years. True dedication.
Revolver and Abbey Road are the two most perfect albums ever constructed.

I'm of the opinion that the beatles batted a thousand on every album starting at Help!

Last edited: