Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
ABE_S3_KA_Roof_4000x2250_V6_PRE_ALT.jpg

Abbott Elementary Is Back in Session With A Sweet, Subdued Season 3 | TV/Streaming | Roger Ebert

A review of the third season of ABC's beloved Abbott Elementary.
It's been a heck of a summer break for the faculty of "Abbott Elementary." Originally slated to return in late 2023, ABC's sunny, warmhearted sitcom about the hardworking teachers of a struggling Philadelphia public school suffered a months-long pushback due to the SAG-AFTRA and WGA strikes. In the interim, it raked in another seven Emmy nominations and a well-deserved win for creator/star Quinta Brunson. Now, off the back of its grander heights, the show is finally back for its third season with a two-part premiere that shakes up its dynamics and searches ever more for that sweet spot between heartwarming and hilarious.
When we last left the staff at Abbott, Janine Teagues (Brunson) had just gently shut down her will-they-won't-they dynamic with fellow teacher Gregory Eddie (Tyler James Williams); as the show had spent the first two seasons showing us, Janine is a tireless servant of her community, so selfless that she hasn't had the chance to really do Janine. Now, in the two-parter premiere "Career Day," we see the consequences of that decision, the cold open picking up five months later as Janine makes a career decision that significantly changes her dynamic to the school. (We're forbidden from revealing here.)
Some of those changes are for the better: it dovetails with the arrival of a trio of wide-eyed new district administrators, led by Josh Segarra's gentle, patient Manny. (Segarra has been a standout in shows ranging from "Sirens" to "She-Hulk" to "The Other Two," so it's a delight to see him here.) Unlike district admins of the past, Manny and crew seem genuinely interested in trying to improve the conditions at Abbott, though I'm sure the season will peel back layers of cynicism or institutional gridlock that stymie even these higher-positioned reps.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-61kVCFplfI

It's been FOREVER!!!

Here's some goodies to celebrate the new season.

Lisa Ann Walter on the Final Jeopardy final clue on the final episode of Celebrity Jeopardy-WELL worth watching-it's a great moment.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QcaMbRuqS0

The cast's controversial opinions (Quinta claims to like Pineapple Pizza)

View: https://youtu.be/mGmlVaaT9yg?si=ipZjh5aiJeSH12Tq
Bonus: Here are photos of the set/school facade I took on the Warner Bros lot last month.

School facade built in front of an existing set.
03BE6759-F606-4380-9263-7DCEDFFB142D.jpg

Barbara, Jacob (And Gregory's) school garden.
IMG_3676.jpg

Different view from the tram.
IMG_3756.jpg

They also have this new "street" set because the show is so big now-they have a bigger budget and more pull. They said this set will be used in Season 3. It's literally right across from the school facade.
IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3757.jpg

There's a full on city street set down the way from here that they have used in the past so these houses must be something specific for the story.

Last edited:

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Discovered this show over the holidays and MAN it's such a cozy comfort show, I love it! Can't wait to catch the new season when it drops on Disney+

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Show picked up right where it left off with the season premier, happy for new episodes!

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I feel like I'm gonna be suspicious of Josh Segarra in everything he's in because of Prometheus

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
His character feels a lot like Rob Lowe's character in Parks and Rec and I can't tell if it's going to be a red herring or not.

Wing84

Banned
Nov 21, 2022
I need to finish season 2...

I'm very happy this show is as successful as it is. I wonder how many seasons this show will have. I'm hopping it'll have something similar to the office, but things would have to change every now and then, which is risky.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I need to finish season 2...

I'm very happy this show is as successful as it is. I wonder how many seasons this show will have. I'm hopping it'll have something similar to the office, but things would have to change every now and then, which is risky.

I don't see it getting to 9, but 6 or 7 seems like it could happen.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how long Janine will be at the district. It's giving a fresh new story but it seems obvious she will return.

Gregory being the Cool Teacher was great.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Episode 4 was great. The DARE knockoff is so good.

Barbara continues to be the absolute standout for me. She steals every scene she's in.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This weeks episode was hilarious. When the camera showed the kid recording them in the lounge my heart dropped.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Show continues to have fun with guest subs

Gregory/Jacob friendship :)

Barbara giving the kids a whole gospel concert, lol.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Did not expect the Bradley Cooper cameo in the opening.

Janine being so determined to do something for the school, reminded me of Leslie from Parks & Rec.

Willy ended up being a flat-earther, lol

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Funny enough episode. I'm hoping the next episode has a different plot from "Janine goofs it up again"

Two weeks in a row of that is a little much.

Feb 16, 2022

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
The very end of the ep got caught off for me, due to a weather alert but I saw Janine read Barbara's review. Touching

Kids being excited for the library reminded me of TikTok librarian breh who blew up and got a deal with PBS. Always cool to see Cree Summers.

Jacob/Melissa moving in together was unexpected, but fun.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's always nice seeing Cree Summer pop up here and there

Jacob and Melissa rooming together is just another example of shows inevitably doing that thing they do where they always want to keep the cast close even if it feels a little too convenient/forced, but I dont mind it here, especially given they're actually friends now

Stacked lineup. Seeing Tatyana Ali again would be such a trip, it's been such a long time since Fresh Prince.

After Fresh Prince she had this one show she was the lead of as an adult, last time I ever saw her myself

Funny enough episode. I'm hoping the next episode has a different plot from "Janine goofs it up again"

Two weeks in a row of that is a little much.

Good timing with the very next episode having Janine be unambiguously right, and made it extra spicy with her being right over Barbara of all characters lol

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Great basketball opening and nice mix of guest stars this episode.

Janine really starting to miss being a teacher.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Finally caught up on the season. Absolutely tickled to see Nickelodeon GUTS host Mike O'Malley in a recurring guest spot this season.

I also find it really hard not to see Josh Segarra as a secret villain no matter how hard they try to make him seem nice. But Manny seems like a good dude.