• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rstzkpf

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His assessment of the Brexit situation made me laugh as well as him saying the 2016 Clinton campaign's message was "Vote for me you piece of shit!".

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
One of the suggestions was to start a new political party. That's what the left needs. More left leaning parties to choose from on election day.

There's a couple things ignored here, and one of them is that there is no willingness to engage in discourse by the right. I'm really blown away by the idea that people think presenting ideas rationally will win over the right. They still deny climate change in their platforms, and that is a scientific fact.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree that the Left are the cause of the Alt-Right's counter cultural position...

...but Ballard is right on pretty much everything else, I reckon.

We're not taking enough actual action and we absolutely cannot take criticism, even if it is constructive. There is a militant, moralising, puritanical streak to a lot of discourse that blocks critical thinking and nuance.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The term identity politics makes me want to puke.

The people they're talking about, are not politicizing their identities; others are. They don't really have a choice in who they are, and to be ostracized for it is just insulting.

Deleted member 19739

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is ABC Comedy?

Edit: Oh this is an Australian ABC lol and the comments are disabled...ironic

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with what's presented in the video, but "Comments are disabled," lol, c'mon. You can't talk about shutting down conversation and then do just that. That just begs the question: "Why are you shutting down conversation?" And the answer would be, "Because no good conversation can come out of this." And I feel like that kinda goes against the message presented in the video.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree that the Left are the cause of the Alt-Right's counter cultural position...

...but Ballard is right on pretty much everything else. We're not taking enough actual action and we absolutely cannot take criticism, even if it is constructive. There is a militant, moralising, puritanical streak to a lot of discourse that blocks critical thinking and nuance.

I'm militant because I'm just too fucking tired of having to explain to people the things they should've learned by now.

I became who I am by being curious and open to being proven wrong, but every day I have to listen to the same old trite arguments by the same kinds of people who just won't listen when I say "give empathy a chance".

The right turned this into a war and fought dirty, and we've lied down for way too long.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
One of the suggestions was to start a new political party. That's what the left needs. More left leaning parties to choose from on election day.

There's a couple things ignored here, and one of them is that there is no willingness to engage in discourse by the right. I'm really blown away by the idea that people think presenting ideas rationally will win over the right. They still deny climate change in their platforms, and that is a scientific fact.
Or legitimatizing some ideas by thinking they are worth debating.

Yeah watched a little, and it is a big nope from me

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I mean... actually the "left wing" "vote for us you pieces of shit" did pan out in the US, she won the popular vote. More people voted for her.

One thing that bugs me about the left, is we clearly have a majority across a host of issues and races etc, but instead of focusing on that and problems like gerrymandering, voter supression, the ways a minority of the country can consistently win elections, we focus on "why are we losers? look at us losery losers" and then run a donald trump rally.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with his Brexit/Clinton stance at all. Although both campaigns could have been better, they did present them with lots of facts and figures and the opposition would just deny them. How do you counter that?

Also hindsight has proven that they were just racists/deplorables.

Wolven Hammer

Feb 26, 2018
Los Angeles, California

...but Ballard is right on pretty much everything else, I reckon.

We're not taking enough actual action and we absolutely cannot take criticism, even if it is constructive. There is a militant, moralising, puritanical streak to a lot of discourse that blocks critical thinking and nuance.

There's nothing wrong with the left getting militant. The problem is people who aren't naturally combative don't know how to properly engage the right thing at the right time. They lack discipline and many times lose their shit at some shmuck who's just ignorant.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm militant because I'm just too fucking tired of having to explain to people the things they should've learned by now.

I became who I am by being curious and open to being proven wrong, but every day I have to listen to the same old trite arguments by the same kinds of people who just won't listen when I say "give empathy a chance".

The right turned this into a war and fought dirty, and we've lied down for way too long.

There is an argument to be made that by being more 'militant' we're fighting on their terms and playing into a stereotype that benefits their messaging.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017

Right.

The left didn't become angry over night, this shit has been building for a long time and a lot of liberals are tired of seeing history repeat itself and asked to be meek and polite while it all happens.

toadsworth

Oct 25, 2017
If you think that political correctness created the current climate in american politics you're not paying attention

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Why not everything?

I personally agree with him about the thing that the left get's offended too much. Like, Chris Hemsworth dressing up as an native american for some party made the left go nuts.
Why shouldn't people take issue with dehumanizing someone's race?

OP
OP

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you think that political correctness created the current climate in american politics you're not paying attention

So what created the current climate in US politics?

Why shouldn't people take issue with dehumanizing someone's race?

Are kids not allowed to play cowboy and indians any longer because they dehumanize the race? Are people not allowed to dressup in certain costumes on, le's say, Halloween because it might offend or dehumanize some people?

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
End of the day people still voted for a ignorant racist bigot.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are kids not allowed to play cowboy and indians any longer because they dehumanize the race? Are people not allowed to dressup in certain costumes on, le's say, Halloween because it might offend or dehumanize some people?

i didn't know chris hemsworth was a literal child

Axiom

Oct 25, 2017

This video is Australian, so mandatory voting and a preferential voting system means that more parties isn't the deal that it is elsewhere.

I think the main points are from the interviewee,

- criticism of left wing methods is not criticism of the goals, but they are conflated.
- if you call someone a racist/sexist/etc. and they don't think or realise they are, they will typically feel attacked and retreat to a safe tribe, not suddenly enlightened.
- looking for any slip up or transgression to write someone off completely and forever
- giving small picture problems equal focus as big picture - especially in social media.

If I've misrepresented any of that I apologise.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

It's 2018, what kids are playing cowboys and indians, and second "but my childhood" is no excuse for common decency and empathy

Aang's_Bae

Apr 23, 2018

word.

No. And No. Next question.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
oh man i just love this place.

resetrddqu.png

This is me. All me.

The cries for "civility" when people were trying to make a stand against child separation a little while back made me sick to my stomach. If that makes me "militant" than so be it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I mean... actually the "left wing" "vote for us you pieces of shit" did pan out in the US, she won the popular vote. More people voted for her.

One thing that bugs me about the left, is we clearly have a majority across a host of issues and races etc, but instead of focusing on that and problems like gerrymandering, voter supression, the ways a minority of the country can consistently win elections, we focus on "why are we losers? look at us losery losers" and then run a donald trump rally.
Except they didn't vote where it mattered. Every resident of California could have voted for her and it still wouldn't matter. The video ain't wrong. That new age fuck you attitude the left has did not do any favors where the voting actually counted. The popular vote means jack. Otherwise people would just campaign primarily in NY and California and make all the other states irrelevant

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was an example for a question, not directly aimed at Hemsworth. So are kids allowed to play that or not? Or will people not get dehumanized until some is at a certain age?

no it was goalpost moving to strawman an argument

The real question is if you'd be okay with kids wearing blackface for halloween

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
kids not allowed to play cowboy and indians any longer because they dehumanize the race? Are people not allowed to dressup in certain costumes on, le's say, Halloween because it might offend or dehumanize some people?
Using someone's culture and heritage as a cartoon costume is pretty dehumanizing. Do whatever you want, but if you can't recognize that your actions are disrespectful or offensive that's on you.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is me. All me.

The cries for "civility" when people were trying to make a stand against child separation a little while back made me sick to my stomach. If that makes me "militant" than so be it.

Don't take this the wrong way, it's a genuine question: Did you take any kind of direct action? Did anyone? I didn't see anything in the news about protests or anything at the time.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
Also imagine being so blinkered about US politics that you think the current situation was birthed from a couple of people being mad about native American attire on twitter and not the fact that the US was literally founded on white supremacy and has pushed forward with hyper-aggressive capitalist policies for the greater part of the 20th century.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Why not everything?

I personally agree with him about the thing that the left get's offended too much. Like, Chris Hemsworth dressing up as an native american for some party made the left go nuts.

This is basically a defense of blackface. Fuck this

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
Telecommunications Act of 1996
"One of the most controversial titles was Title 3 ("Cable Services"), which allowed for media cross-ownership."

FCC Fairness Doctrine was removed in 1987https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_fairness_doctrine
"The fairness doctrine of the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC), introduced in 1949, was a policy that required the holders of broadcast licenses both to present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was—in the FCC's view—honest, equitable, and balanced. The FCC eliminated the policy in 1987 and removed the rule that implemented the policy from the Federal Register in August 2011."

OP
OP

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying Racism.
The real question is if you'd be okay with kids wearing blackface for halloween

No.

But what would people have done if one white kid and one black kid are friends and their Halloween idea would be each other. Would I allow the white kid to have blackface if he asked me "paint black color on my face, I want to look like my friends so we can confuse people". I actually have no idea right no what I would have done.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
We're going to sit here arguing with OP about hypotheticals like "What if Batman had to say a racial slur to save the world. Are you saying he shouldn't??????" for hours and hours.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man people are already posting Jonathan Pie vids in here now. Not even past the first page, pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.