• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
The upcoming third Democratic primary debate, hosted by ABC News in partnership with Univision and slated for Sept. 12 and 13 in Houston, will feature four moderators, ABC News announced Wednesday.
The debate will be held at Texas Southern University, a public, historically black university, and will air across ABC, Univision with a Spanish translation, locally on KTRK-TV and on ABC News Live. The streaming channel is available on the ABCNews.com website and apps, as well as Hulu Live, The Roku Channel, Facebook Watch, AppleTV, Amazon Fire TV, YouTube, Apple News and Twitter.
If 10 or fewer candidates are certified by the Democratic National Committee to participate, the debate will take place on one night.

If more than 10 candidates qualify under the rules, the debate will take place over two nights. For the two-night scenario, ABC News in accordance with the DNC will hold a selection event on Aug. 29 to randomly assign the candidates to a night. The format of the debate will be one minute and 15 seconds for direct responses to questions and 45 seconds for rebuttals.
The current list of candidates who have qualified (alphabetically):
  1. Former Vice President Joe Biden
  2. New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker
  3. South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg
  4. Former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro
  5. California Sen. Kamala Harris
  6. Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar
  7. Former Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke
  8. Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders
  9. Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren
  10. Entrepreneur Andrew Yang
Deadline to qualify for the September debate is 11:59 p.m. August 28.

We're currently at 10 candidates, which would mean all of them on one stage, for one night (Thursday, Sept. 12). If one or more additional candidates make the deadline, then they get randomly split across two nights (Thursday and Friday). Steyer, Gabbard, and Gillibrand are the only other candidates who have at least one of four qualifying polls: Steyer has 3, Gabbard has 2, Gillibrand has 1. Gillibrand is also a bit shy of the donor threshhold, at 110k of 130k unique donors.

Last edited:

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Random assignment at this point is dumb I think. Do top 5 and bottom 5 and call it a day. 5-6 people at once at least will be much better to manage either way.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Happy to see that Castro qualified. Need to cull the field a little more but while we have all these pieces, Castro may as well be in play because he regularly brings up good points and says good shit.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great so if even 1 more candidate qualifies they break it up into two "random" groups. I don't like that but at the same time what is the point in having TEN candidates on stage "debating"? So I guess I hope 1 more qualifies but damn, this is just ridiculous. Narrow it down already.

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Media is not going to pair Biden against Bernie+Warren together. They know Biden is going to get massacred by the both of them.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Great so if even 1 more candidate qualifies they break it up into two "random" groups. I don't like that but at the same time what is the point in having TEN candidates on stage "debating"? So I guess I hope 1 more qualifies but damn, this is just ridiculous. Narrow it down already.
My thoughts exactly.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly they should just do two nights regardless. Right now we have 10 Candidates and there's just not enough time for each

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
Seems like a better format. It will be great to have all the serious candidates to debate each other rather than the fractions we have had in the first two set of debates. Favorable terrain for my guy Beto.

This has to be quite a humbling moment for Kristen Gillibrand.

Dec 31, 2017
Glad Yang qualified. How is Klobuchar in there?

At this point I would actually prefer 2 nights of 5 candidates each. 10 yelling over each other gets crazy.

I would also love one of those nights to be Bernie, Warren, Biden, Kamala, and Beto.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god Bullock isn't on that list. Time to drop out.

You too Tulsi. Go lose your primary race in Hawaii plz.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Klobuchar and Yang made the cut? wtf? A bit confused by Williamson not being there with them making it in.

Well, at least Gabbard isn't there!

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Klobuchar and Yang made the cut? wtf? A bit confused by Williamson not being there with them making it in.

Well, at least Gabbard isn't there!
Well, Klobuchar is at least a Senator, who just won re-election to her third term. I wouldn't put her on the same level as Williamson...

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
call literally everyone out on race...biden and kamala, mayor pete and booker are particularly vulnerable
Yep. Every single candidate should be grilled on it. It'll show who's willing to change/has changed, vs. who is unapologetic about their past (or in Pete's case, current events).

Well, Klobuchar is at least a Senator, who just won re-election to her third term. I wouldn't put her on the same level as Williamson...
Very fair point. I guess I'm just easily impressed by Williamson's understanding of systems of power in this country that none of the other candidates seem willing to touch.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm hoping we get another person to qualify so this can be split up into two nights. 10 people on that stage is way too many. Here's hoping Tulsi gets those other two polls she needs.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yep. Every single candidate should be grilled on it. It'll show who's willing to change/has changed, vs. who is unapologetic about their past (or in Pete's case, current events).

Well considering biden refuses to apologize for the crime bill, and kamala literally lying in the first debate about always supporting body cameras, fat chance of seeing anything different....but they should be held to account regardless for that reason

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
What's the speaking Spanish to pander to Latino voters equivalent for us black folk going to be?

I bet candidates aren't going to be attacking the Obama years as an attack on Biden this time around

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Get Klobuchar outta there, I mean I want more gone but she clearly is the one standout in that group who needs to go. Castro, O Rourke, and Yang are next then Booker, Bootyjudge, and Harris. I like Inslee, Gillibrand and Gabbard on certain things but they are just making it tougher for other candidates who already do what they do yet have a better chance so glad they're out. Steyer gtfo.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Well considering biden refuses to apologize for the crime bill, and kamala literally lying in the first debate about always supporting body cameras, fat chance of seeing anything different....but they should be held to account regardless for that reason
Oh no, I meant for other candidates than the ones you mentioned in terms of showing growth. I have no doubt Harris and Biden won't.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Beto in Texas huh? If Beto thinks he still has any real shot, he's going to have to go for broke here. He has nothing to lose.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
There should not be more than the top 4 at this point. Ten is ridiculous.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Y'all going to be really upset when the next debate has even more candidates and not less. shaking my head DNC.

Three weeks away now. Will be here before I know it.