• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
New data released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last week warns that young people may be more impacted by COVID-19 than was initially thought, with patients under the age of 45 comprising more than a third of all cases, and one in five of those patients requiring hospitalization.

Although scientists still don't have good data to explain exactly why some young people are getting very sick from the novel coronavirus, some experts are now saying that the popularity of e-cigarettes and vaping could be making a bad situation even worse.

Public health experts believe that conventional cigarette smokers are likely to have more serious illness if they become infected with COVID-19, according to the World Health Organization. Because vaping can also cause dangerous lung and respiratory problems, experts say it makes sense that the habit could aggravate the symptoms of COVID-19, although they will need longer-term studies to know for sure.

abcnews.go.com

Vaping and e-cigarettes: Adding fuel to the coronavirus fire?

Because vaping can cause dangerous lung and respiratory problems, experts say it makes sense that the habit could aggravate the symptoms of COVID-19.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, doesn't that shit damage your lungs?

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I see people going outside to take smoke breaks still and I'm like wtf.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I thought this was already widely known? Any kind of smoking whether is the current fad of vaping or traditional cigs are going to put you more at risk of this.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Time for people to actually be healthy, I don't understand people that try to be really fit but still do unhealthy stuff

Because Nicotine is a strong addiction that people can't just "stop". Its like saying why don't you stop being fat? or why don't you stop having depression? It has deep cultural roots spurred by capitalism that has been literally fought against for decades now.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Thought it would be obvious that being a chain smoker would put you in the "at-risk" category for a virus that destroys your ability to breathe.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
What I struggle to understand is how vaping seems to be reported more of a health risk these days over smoking actual cigarettes.

Nobody in there right mind would say vaping has no risk but we know for damn sure the health risk of traditional cigarette.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not hard to comprehend that as you smoke or vape when you exhale that particulates in the air for others to breathe.

A great time to quit

Oct 27, 2017
Vaping is just a particular method of ingestion. Sure, the content of what someone is vaping/ingesting can cause harm to the lungs or more, such as the cases in the US last year where people were vaping a particular strain of illicit THC carts which were improperly cut with a harmful chemical. But that's true no matter how you ingest something.

While it's still early days for the vaping industry, it is disingenuous to treat all vaping as bad due to those outlying and extreme cases, particularly when considering that it's supplanting the demonstrably horrible tobacco industry. E-liquid in my country can't even legally contain nicotine, but it's still a popular form of smoking cessation and I'm grateful that it exists.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
What I struggle to understand is how vaping seems to be reported more of a health risk these days over smoking actual cigarettes.

Nobody in there right mind would say vaping has no risk but we know for damn sure the health risk of traditional cigarette.
I think that's the point. People know smoking has its risks.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Who would have thought that a vaping or smoking while theirs a pandemic involving a respiratory illness would be bad.

Honestly, this is a good time for people to quit, if you do smoke/vape, you should probably isolate and slowly reduce your nicotine intake.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I smoke. And anyone who has smoked, or has a vice of any kind know it's damn hard to stop sometimes. 😕

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Vaping is just a particular method of ingestion. Sure, the content of what someone is vaping/ingesting can cause harm to the lungs or more, such as the cases in the US last year where people were vaping a particular strain of illicit THC carts which were improperly cut with a harmful chemical. But that's true no matter how you ingest something.

While it's still early days for the vaping industry, it is disingenuous to treat all vaping as bad due to those outlying and extreme cases, particularly when considering that it's supplanting the demonstrably horrible tobacco industry. E-liquid in my country can't even legally contain nicotine, but it's still a popular form of smoking cessation and I'm grateful that it exists.
WTF! A clear sensible opinion in a vaping thread! You monster!!!

Still vaping here, gone from having serious colds, tonsillitis and chest infections every year to nothing for the last 10. Moved to vaping for good after getting swine flu (H1N1).

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Disappointed in some of the low iq replies.
Read up on addiction.
It's a typical response, happens all the time with smoking threads on this site. Never understood it myself, I don't need people to tell me smoking is bad or ask why I started in the first place knowing the risk, I'm already well aware of these things thank you.

For the record I haven't smoked a single cigarette since October/November timeframe and while I do have a pack lying around I have no intention of smoking anytime soon. Been trying to drink less the last several months too but the last few weeks have made that hard.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
At the very least you shouldn't be vaping in public at the moment.
The last thing other people needs is great clouds of your breath drifting towards them.

Oct 27, 2017
I would assume the rate is significantly different between someone who vapes flavors casually vs someone who vapes medical THC. At least people I know who vape do it throughout the day, whereas the medical THC folks might take 1-2 hits a night.
People who vape traditional liquids also don't inhale (as we all know from them obnoxiously blowing fat clouds), unless it's something they do habitually from their times as a smoker. The vaporized nicotine is absorbed through the mouth and doesn't need to reach the lungs to be effective.

Edit: Sorry, just to clarify again, if you want to blow SUPER fat clouds, you do have to inhale and keep some of the vapor in your lungs. People who vape responsibly do not have to inhale.

Last edited:

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
It's a typical response, happens all the time with smoking threads on this site. Never understood it myself, I don't need people to tell me smoking is bad or ask why I started in the first place knowing the risk, I'm already well aware of these things thank you.

For the record I haven't smoked a single cigarette since October/November timeframe and while I do have a pack lying around I have no intention of smoking anytime soon. Been trying to drink less the last several months too but the last few weeks have made that hard.

Congrats!

As an ex-smoker, I know just how fruitless shaming smokers is. Shit's hard to stop.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
People who vape traditional liquids also don't inhale (as we all know from them obnoxiously blowing fat clouds), unless it's something they do habitually from their times as a smoker. The vaporized nicotine is absorbed through the mouth and doesn't need to reach the lungs to be effective.

Had no idea! I always assumed they inhaled

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
i would assume any type of vapor going into lungs isn't good

Better stop smelling food you're cooking

What? Of course we inhale.

Devices are classified as direct-to-lung or mouth-to-lung.

Personally I just switched to nic salts ages ago. I get the same potency with far less liquid. I go through 1-2ml a day now when I used to go through 10ml+.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Probably any shit that affects your lungs in some way will make you more susceptible.

Oct 27, 2017
What? Of course we inhale.

Devices are classified as direct-to-lung or mouth-to-lung.

I was talking more in the sense of THC smoking/vaping, as the person I quoted was referencing, in that we do not specifically draw and hold it in our lungs.

Personally, I puff and immediately blow it out. I certainly don't draw it into my lungs, though some vapor will of course reach that destination because that's how the body works.

Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Brendan Karet 🚮 on Twitter

“Sean Hannity suggests vaping prevents people from getting coronavirus https://t.co/d9iorM11db”

I don't know who to believe

source.gif

StonerSage

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
Another great opportunity to go after vaping. Cigarette companies just so mad that younger people aren't adopting cigarettes. There was the big vaping scare in 2019 with symptoms similar to covid-19 that was just one big scare tactic for vaping. Now this. Don't believe everything you see in the media. I have been cigarette free for nine years now and vaping for nine years - yet I can still run with the rest of them.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Time for people to actually be healthy, I don't understand people that try to be really fit but still do unhealthy stuff

This is my wife. Super fit, runs 5-8miles a day... But started vaping ~18mos ago and now she's hopelessly hooked. She used to smoke cigarettes, quit about 3 years ago and I was very proud of her, and I was so mad when she took up vaping, but she was like "Oh it's harmless, just vapor" which I thought was BS. And in the last six months we're have two major vaping-related health scares.

BaldwinAce

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I wouldn't jump too quick on this "fearmongering bandwagon" if I were any of you in this thread. Vaping isn't simply done for recreational purpose, but also medically. It's not just a question of addiction, but also a necessity in some ways for some. Chronic pain is a bitch and vaping can help attenuate symptoms for exemple.

Then again, logically speaking, why would anyone even need a article telling you that vaping weed, tobacco, etc.. isn't good for your lungs? it's just less harmful than inhaling smoke in them.

A article specially made to draw out idiots.