• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BaldwinAce

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Back to cigarettes it is, fucking Christ
200w_d.gif

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is my wife. Super fit, runs 5-8miles a day... But started vaping ~18mos ago and now she's hopelessly hooked. She used to smoke cigarettes, quit about 3 years ago and I was very proud of her, and I was so mad when she took up vaping, but she was like "Oh it's harmless, just vapor" which I thought was BS. And in the last six months we're have two major vaping-related health scares.
Models always came to mind, but I suppose it's all about how you look outside rather than what the inside of your body looks like

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Actually how many people here saying vaping is bad have had a chest x Ray in the last few months? I know I have, heavy vapor And smoked for cigarettes for 15 heads and according to the scans my lungs are fine. So if I had scary shit on my lungs I would stop. But since I don't and social distancing. It's just another "smoking is bad when you are dealing with a respiratory illness"

Like yeah no shit you shouldn't smoke when you're sick.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
Another great opportunity to go after vaping. Cigarette companies just so mad that younger people aren't adopting cigarettes. There was the big vaping scare in 2019 with symptoms similar to covid-19 that was just one big scare tactic for vaping. Now this. Don't believe everything you see in the media. I have been cigarette free for nine years now and vaping for nine years - yet I can still run with the rest of them.

Someone who lives in the UK I find it it ridiculous that you see politicians, sections of the media in the states calling for a ban on vaping but they are happy for people to buy cigarettes. It makes no complete sense health wise and looks more like they are keeping tobacco companies happy.

This article just seems to follow the same pattern.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Breathing in a whole bunch of artificial chemicals is bad for your lungs, who knew?

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering when we'd hear something like this. No surprise really, considering what the virus does to your lungs. I'm gonna give quitting another go (analog cigarettes). I was good for awhile, then started up again. No better time than now, I guess.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
so does living in a city https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190816-is-city-life-really-bad-for-you

A recent study has likened city air pollution to smoking a pack of cigarettes each day for 29 years. While the effect on our lungs is undoubtedly troubling, we should also be wary of what the air we breathe is doing to the rest of our bodies.
The new study monitored ground-level ozone exposure in 7,000 adults living in cities across the US. Generally, urbanites were exposed to between 10 and 25 parts per billion of ozone, where an increase of three parts per billion equates to smoking an extra pack of cigarettes each day. So, even moving from a low-pollution area into one of the cleaner cities could still increase your risk of respiratory diseases like emphysema – which is more commonly associated with smokers.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Not really surprising given breathing itself can worsen the effects of the Coronavirus due to being a respiratory infection.

Inhaling anything could be harmful, like the article itself even mentions conventional cigarettes being just as much of a risk but for some reason the headline is just about vaping.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Then again, logically speaking, why would anyone even need a article telling you that vaping weed, tobacco, etc.. isn't good for your lungs? it's just less harmful than inhaling smoke in them.
Even that I am kind of curious on

Recreational smokers (marijuana, basically) are probably better off, although that starts becoming a debacle regarding where they are sourcing their shit from and what is in there and how likely they are to get crinkly lungs and blah blah blah

But anecdotally? A friend of mine has been a smoker for decades. She was down to two or three cigarettes per day (so probably double that...) and changed to vaping so she would reek less. A month or two in she did the math and realized she was vaping the equivalent of a pack a day.
As she describes it, smoking sucks. You are inhaling hot particulates full of some pretty bad chemicals and shit. Whereas vaping is "incredibly smooth" . So whereas, at her worst, it was her body saying "Stop smoking. This is literally killing us" she now no longer really has that.

Logically what she is saying sounds reasonable but as I have never smoked I can't really apply any firsthand knowledge. And she is the kind of idiot who got hooked from using nicotine patches as a teenager for appetite suppression and the like so...

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Vaping doesn't bother me other than seeming new and dumb. It reminds me of college where it felt like every computer science major with anything resembling a social life would endlessly vape at parties.

But! Some of the heat settings these guys use with their custom and modified setups/kits are insane. I've bummed puffs off of vapes that burnt my throat and lungs more powerfully than any cigarette ever has.

I sort of stop understanding the appeal at that point. Other than flavored smoke I guess.

Anyone who smokes anything in this day and age knows they are doing damage to their throat, lungs, and heart. But not a whole lot of people don't connect the dots when it comes to the actual long term ramifications.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Thought it would be obvious that being a chain smoker would put you in the "at-risk" category for a virus that destroys your ability to breathe.

Not only that. But I had to stop myself from using my vape pen when I was out for some supplies. I had on rubber gloves for safety. But almost put a pen in my mouth that I just touched with the gloves out of habit.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This scares the shit out of me, I smoked for years and currently vape. I vape a hell of a lot less than I ever smoked but still, I know it's not great. I'm pretty convinced if I get this virus I'm dead and I don't see any feasible way around getting it.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Vaping is just a particular method of ingestion. Sure, the content of what someone is vaping/ingesting can cause harm to the lungs or more, such as the cases in the US last year where people were vaping a particular strain of illicit THC carts which were improperly cut with a harmful chemical. But that's true no matter how you ingest something.

While it's still early days for the vaping industry, it is disingenuous to treat all vaping as bad due to those outlying and extreme cases, particularly when considering that it's supplanting the demonstrably horrible tobacco industry. E-liquid in my country can't even legally contain nicotine, but it's still a popular form of smoking cessation and I'm grateful that it exists.

I would say that the burden of proof on the vape industry to prove that their product is safe(r).

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta think that any kind of products you consume through inhalation will increase the risk of more serious infection.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I stopped vaping two weeks ago when it started to look like this was gonna get out of control. Probably should have just gone cold turkey but the patch is working for me so far

Oct 27, 2017
OP, you may want to amend your post to say that cigarettes seem to be linked to worse outcomes and vaping MIGHT BE LINKED PENDING FURTHER RESEARCH.

I swear no one fucking read a paragraph before going on about how they always knew how bad vaping is for you. Shameful shit.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This crisis unfortunately will see many vapers return to cigarettes. Out of vape juice or need new coils you can't just go and get some but you can go and buy cigarettes.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Because Nicotine is a strong addiction that people can't just "stop". Its like saying why don't you stop being fat? or why don't you stop having depression? It has deep cultural roots spurred by capitalism that has been literally fought against for decades now.
I can see where you are coming from but in my experience as a doctor a lot of smoking is cultural/educational/habit.
I knew and some still know that smoke and don't ever tried to stop because it is their "only "vice. They "need" it to relax. Plus a thousand other justifications.
it really comes down to how you see death from smoking i'd bet most people think they will die "quickly" with cancer instead of the fact that most will drown slowly as their lungs slowly can't let the oxygen pass in quantities enough to talk but just enough they can live.
I have never seen a 20-30 year old come to me and say something like " i know smoking is bad and i can't stop. Can you help me?"

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
I've been smoking for 20 years now and even if it should be the perfect time to stop, it's also the time where stop smoking is the hardest.

Have been in hospital last year because of my coughing from time to time, got my lungs scanned and checked and they were "perfectly fine". The coughing was due to allergic reactions to some medical drugs I took. I'd guess that smoking and vaping while the virus rages inside your lungs is one of the culprits.

But I still hope I develop the actual will to stop soon.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I look forward to the day journalists acknowledge the crucial distinction between vaping juice and vaping flower when writing scary articles about the "dangers of vaping".

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I'm starting to weed myself off of my vape, but anyone who does it knows its not 100% safe. It's just a better alternative than smoking.

As always, it's an addiction and you can't really just tell people to stop as much as you can tell people to stop being fat. This article tells nothing new. It also doesn't help that we're in an extremely stressful time and trying to quit cold turkey is fucking hard, as much as a double-edged sword it is.

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like a case of "no duh". The healthier your lungs, the more likely you will be able to breathe when you get sick and on top of that, you won't be inhaling shit while your lungs are already battleground for your immune system, bacteria and a virus. It's not too late to try and kick the habit. Health benefits take effect within hours.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Like...duh?

Luckily never took up these habits. Allergies are enough to mess with me.

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
This is about as obvious of an outcome as could be expected.

I sense many people in this thread have never had an issue with addiction(s) because I see a ton of, "Don't vape." Which is true, yeah, but it's a little easier said than done.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know if the otherwise healthy young people who have died or are hospitalized have a history of smoking?

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think the cannabis vaping was the one really fucking up people's lungs. although regular vaping is probably also doing some kind of damage to the lungs.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still fine smoking weed right
Well you also have to have those little vacations away from stress, right?
But smoking anything is probably bad for you... Sadly enough.

i think the cannabis vaping was the one really fucking up people's lungs. although regular vaping is probably also doing some kind of damage to the lungs.
I thought it was the bad oils used with some of those vapers? Could be wrong though. Never vaped.