• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
They are worth reading prior to this. They all take place after the trilogy and important historical events take place during them, even if the main characters are new.
A number of original trilogy characters make appearances in the standalones, some of them very important characters. Don't know what the new book has in store, but I'll bet that a lot of what happens in the standalones will be referenced, if not have outright direct impact.

So they're all definitely worth reading!

Cheers, I'll get to them after I finish the Raven's Shadow and Wool series'. Both of those are really good so far (just finished both of the first books and I'm hooked on both)

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Can I read this without reading the first trilogy?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Er....hard to say. I'd have to read the entire thing to tell you whether it brings up any old plot-threads directly from the previous trilogy. It certainly spoils the ending status of several of the characters.

But I'm currently 10% in and if you really wanted to, you could understand the basic plot points happening so far. I'll get back to when I finish the whole thing in about 2-3 days, but theoretically, yeah, I think you could.

Last edited:

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Probably. It's advertised as a new trilogy set decades after the last trilogy book. So I'd assume it's written with accessibility for new readers in mind, even if some threads continue from the first trilogy, but why skip the others?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I finished the trilogy a while ago and I'm now reading Best Served Cold. It's really good! Abercrombie knows how to put his characters through the ringer. But even though it's 'standalone', you get much more out of it if you've read the trilogy before it.

Can't wait to read this newest book but I want to read The Heroes and Red Country first.

Last edited:

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
For those interested, I reviewed this on the B&N SFF Blog.

Few fantasy series have used the scope of time so effectively to examine how society's progress affects their characters and world. The setting is a character unto itself, experiencing its own process of growth and change, trauma, and uncertainty. Abercrombie returns to the tropes and character archetypes we saw in The First Law, but as the world changes around them, so to do the roles they play within it: charismatic princeling Orso must grapple with the royal family's fading power in the face of industry and hawkish financiers; Savine's sharp mind allows her to move through society with an authority that would have been impossible a generation earlier. These are fascinating examinations, and they tell readers as much about our our world as they do about Abercrombie's fictional one.

In all the ways that matter, Abercrombie delivers fans exactly what they've always expected from the Lord of Grimdark: a critical, compelling epic fantasy loaded with wonderfully drawn characters, the bloodletting tempered with sharp social commentary and a touch of satire. (Also: bad sex scenes.) It also welcomes newcomers by focusing on a new generation of (anti-)heroes facing new challenges in a world their parents hardly recognize. It's doesn't feel like a stretch to say Abercrombie's on his way to writing another masterpiece of epic fantasy—though one vastly different than his first.

It's excellent for both longtime fans and newcomers who haven't read any of Abercrombie's prior work.

OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I always liked her and her story was one never really picked up on in the standalones so I have been curious as to what she is up to.
Hah, OK. I didn't mind her but I can't say I care that much about her story. Though, you're right, she did have some loose ends that went largely unresolved. Since this is 30 years later... I wonder if we'll eventually see her as some badass older woman or if half-demons don't age or whatnot 🤔

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Oh god I didn't know this was out. The First Law was one of those series that slow burn'd for me--I wasn't a huge fan until I realized that I'd gotten through the whole thing in 2 weeks. Ordered this copy and now it's on the way! Cheers. This'll be a nice distraction from my ill conceived The Wheel of Time reread.

Last edited:

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Will definitely listen to this on Audible. Stephen Pacey does amazing work with Abercrombie's work. Seriously amazing work.

domstah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ATX
I think all of Abercrombie's books can be good starting points - you'll just enjoy the references to characters and situations from the past a bit more if you start with the First Law trilogy and the standalone books first. I read The Heroes before Best Served Cold by mistake (I thought the Heroes came first), and still thoroughly enjoyed it and then enjoyed the links between the two when I got caught up.

They are very much post-Game of Thrones style fantasy though. Far grittier and darker than The Name of the Wind or The Lies of Locke Lamora type fantasy that popped up at the same time.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Steve Pacey's Nicomo Cosca in Best Served Cold was so good, I'm a fan forever. Really pumped for this one.
Yup
You can, but you shouldn't.

There's actually six books to read or listen to. The trilogy, then a trilogy of standalone a that are actually quite important to the overall narrative (or at least, the first two are).

I would strongly recommend not jumping ahead.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Best Served Cold was fantastic, if there's more of that I'm all here for it.
The audiobooks of the whole First Law series and the subsequent titles are awesome.

Oh god I didn't know this was out. The First Law was one of those series that slow burn'd for me--I wasn't a huge fan until I realized that I'd gotten through the whole thing in 2 weeks. Ordered this copy and now it's on the way! Cheers. This'll be a nice distraction from my ill conceived The Wheel of Time reread.

I re-read Eye of the World and just go until I get bored every other year or so. I used to get pretty far, now I can't even get more than Dragon Reborn if that. The intro to eye is so good.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Er....hard to say. I'd have to read the entire thing to tell you whether it brings up any old plot-threads directly from the previous trilogy. It certainly spoils the ending status of several of the characters.

But I'm currently 10% in and if you really wanted to, you could understand the basic plot points happening so far. I'll get back to when I finish the whole thing in about 2-3 days, but theoretically, yeah, I think you could.
I'm sure readers get more out of it if they know the full story, but I'm not too concerned with spoiling older stuff. If things sound interesting enough, I figure I'd just go back.

Probably. It's advertised as a new trilogy set decades after the last trilogy book. So I'd assume it's written with accessibility for new readers in mind, even if some threads continue from the first trilogy, but why skip the others?
I'd skip for a couple of reasons: I'm not too interested in Abercrombie's earlier work and am pretty much only interested in his newer stuff after he started writing more diverse characters. That and I'm not looking for a long series at the moment.

It's excellent for both longtime fans and newcomers who haven't read any of Abercrombie's prior work.
Good to know!

Thanks for the info everyone. :)

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I think all of Abercrombie's books can be good starting points - you'll just enjoy the references to characters and situations from the past a bit more if you start with the First Law trilogy and the standalone books first. I read The Heroes before Best Served Cold by mistake (I thought the Heroes came first), and still thoroughly enjoyed it and then enjoyed the links between the two when I got caught up.

I don't think there is a whole lot lost reading those two books without the original trilogy. However, I think Red Country would suffer, since a major element of the narrative structure of that book is that the reader knows when the characters don't.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Just finished.

This is going to be a damn good trilogy. I'll leave it at that.

As I mentioned, I didn't read the standalones, but from what I can gather from their plot summaries both Best Served Cold and The Heroes both have fairly relevant elements, so it would be best to have some knowledge of those.

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I might have to actually pay full price for a month of Audible for the first time to pick this up there... they seem to have cycled off throwing out lots of promotions/trials etc. and allowing anyone without an active sub to use them.

First trilogy was great, and the narration was some of the best.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
Feel like these really come to life as audiobooks and I have this preordered on Audible. Pacey is amazing!

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think the stand-alones are better than The First Law trilogy - and he clearly is growing as an author throughout. My personal favorite was The Heroes, especially the chapter about the craziness of the battle. I don't think there is a bad Abercrombie book yet, that's not bad considering he's written 9 of them.

Seen lots of really nice things said about the audiobooks and Steve Pacey's performance - I'll have to give them a listen one day.

I have read the trilogy and the 3 stand alone books twice. I also read his young adult books. The audio books are also amazing and I have the first law on audible. Have listened to it twice. I am a fan.

My only concern is that I will have to wait for the second book of this new trilogy!

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
Just bought my copy and waiting in line for the signing at Waterstones. The man himself has entered the building!

Can't wait to dig in but I'm planning to read Red Country first. The only First Law book I haven't read yet. Well, that and Sharp Ends.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I can't it's too good.
I know. I was being sarcastic. I love Abercrombie, but it's going to be hard to beat Dark Age this year.
Indeed. Dark Age was utterly exhausting a read. Still, Brown and Abercrombie serve as a good contrast. Other than one being scifi and the other being fantasy, while both can be considered grimdark in their natures, the grandiosity of Red Risng's world is enchanting compared to the gravely, grittiness of Abercrombie's. I am always partial to the former myself, but it's good to switch it up.

Fuck Lysander.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Shattered Sea was fantastic and had some of the best female representation I've seen in a "fantasy" trilogy, in addition to being a really excellent trilogy all-around.

Just wanted to comment on this because Thorn is one of my all time favorite characters. I'm currently reading the Book of Ancestor series from Mark Lawrence and his main character Nona bears a strong resemblance to Thorn. If you think you would like a series about warrior nuns, this is it.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Did
I have read the trilogy and the 3 stand alone books twice. I also read his young adult books. The audio books are also amazing and I have the first law on audible. Have listened to it twice. I am a fan.

My only concern is that I will have to wait for the second book of this new trilogy!
Did you read Sharp Ends?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm almost at the end, it's so good.
It's going to be hell waiting for the sequel until next summer, though.

Also, unexpectedly, my favorite new character is Crown Prince Orso.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it.

Non-spoiler thoughts is that it's very much more Abercrombie. It's got the same sense of humor, pacing, cadence and direction in it's writing as the ones before. If you liked what came before, you'll like this and if you didn't, I don't think whats here will change your mind.

But it's a great start to the trilogy that I am eager to see how it will conclude.

Oct 29, 2017
Finished it tonight. So many name-drops. Who thought fictional characters could effectively use nepotism against the reader to get you to like them before you know them.

Sad that it ended, felt like we just got out of Act 1. Although the Blade Itself also felt like that, but then when I got into the series all three books were already out

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I finished on Saturday. It's really good. It doesn't quite hit the peaks of the previous First Law novels, but then neither did The Blade Itself. First-in-a-trilogy syndrome I guess. Writing is as enjoyable as ever though. There was a particular line near the end in the writer's office which had me giggling.

What do you reckon Bayaz accelerated Jezal's death? Fitting also that Bayaz gets the last word in the book.

Clover ... who did he lose to in the Circle? Also what an utter bastard.

Poor Jurand, lol.

Orso, Savine and Rikke are my favourite protagonists, perhaps unsurprisingly. I wonder if Broad, Vick and Clover will be more fleshed out in the next book, because they felt a little underserved in this one.

Also, I know Red County was basically a send off for the B9, but I was secretly hoping decrepit old Logen would leer his ugly head. At least we vaguely know what Ferro's been up to.

TrickyPhysics

Oct 28, 2017
I have a hard time imagining any fan of the first law trilogy not also enjoying this one. It's really just more of that fantastic character work, but didn't leave me feeling like it was almost entirely setup like The Blade Itself did. Loved it.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
What do you reckon Bayaz accelerated Jezal's death? Fitting also that Bayaz gets the last word in the book.

Coulda been, but it could have been Isher too. In fact, I'd bet that's more likely. Bayaz obviously doesn't really give a toss and just sees it as an opportunity to remake the political structure of Adua, but I don't see why he'd kill off a king who was pliant to him.

Clover ... who did he lose to in the Circle? Also what an utter bastard.

If I had to guess, Logen. It's been emphasized how much Logen preferred to spare his opponents in the circle and Clovers disillusionment with fighting was Logen-esque atleast.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Coulda been, but it could have been Isher too. In fact, I'd bet that's more likely. Bayaz obviously doesn't really give a toss and just sees it as an opportunity to remake the political structure of Adua, but I don't see why he'd kill off a king who was pliant to him.

If I had to guess, Logen. It's been emphasized how much Logen preferred to spare his opponents in the circle and Clovers disillusionment with fighting was Logen-esque atleast.

Isher didn't really cross my mind, good shout though. Reason I reckoned Bayaz was because it wouldn't have been the first time in the series he's picked off royalty.