• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Abortion rates go down when countries make it legal: report
Countries with stricter abortion laws have higher abortion rates

Abortion rates have fallen over the past 25 years, even as more countries have made the procedure legal and easier to get, according to a new report released Tuesday.

Countries with the most restrictive abortion laws also have the highest rates of abortion, the study by the Guttmacher Institutefound. Easier access to birth control drives down abortion rates, the report also finds.

The report finds about 56 million abortions occur every year — nearly 50 million of them in developing countries. About a quarter of all pregnancies end in abortion.

Because there are so many women of childbearing age, the number of abortions has gone up, but the rates per 1,000 women have fallen, the report found.

Switzerland had the lowest abortion rate at 5 per 1,000 women. The U.S. rate is 13 per 1,000 women, the same as Britain's, the report found. Colombia and Mexico had abortion rates of 34 per 1,000 women. Pakistan's estimated abortion rate was the highest at 50 per 1,000 women.

"Abortions take place around the world, no matter the legal setting," the report reads. But, it adds, "Provision of abortion is safest where it has long been legal."

CellarDoor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually it's abortion goes down when countries make it legal in richer countries.

Article link

The study shows no link between legalising abortion and reducing abortion rate. The easy reality is that women in richer countries can afford to have kids.

Some of those statistics btw were not even ascertained properly. Many of the poorer countries stats, like Pakistan's were mere estimates, which is not good enough.

P.s. I'm not anti-abortion. (But articles like these always need to be taken with a pinch of salt)

OP
OP
xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Yeah it's kind of a garbage article, but I see no option to delete the thread even though I created it...

Oct 26, 2017
1*cx-2_FP7Pto0AiwZxR3DYw.jpeg

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Actually it's abortion goes down when countries make it legal in richer countries.

Article link

The study shows no link between legalising abortion and reducing abortion rate. The easy reality is that women in richer countries can afford to have kids.

Some of those statistics btw were not even ascertained properly. Many of the poorer countries stats, like Pakistan's were mere estimates, which is not good enough.

P.s. I'm not anti-abortion. (But articles like these always need to be taken with a pinch of salt)

Yeah, you'd think a big media news company could do better with sources, but a lot of them are pretty shitty lately with that stuff. Just read the abstract and move on with your day.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Article link

pretty much what I expected when I read the headline. Correlation is not causation. Seems more logical that countries liberal enough to legalize abortions also have measures in place to support mothers, thus making abortions less necessary.

edit: also the above

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
pretty much what I expected when I read the headline. Correlation is not causation. Seems more logical that countries liberal enough to legalize abortions also have measures in place to support mothers, thus making abortions less necessary.

edit: also the above
Pretty much. Seems much more likely that the contraception availability in these countries is also a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.