• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For a story trailer? Absolutely. If all you do is show a random scene from the game of characters I don't know getting tortured then I'm not going to care about the game. The only reason I care about TLOU2 right now is because of the name since that trailer sure as hell didn't sell me on the game.
Sigh... 4 characters were introduced in this trailer, and later who was playing them, that was a big reason they did this, and the first 2 trailers were all story, and without violence.....

there are now fan theories going around about the trailer...There was context.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
You can have varying degrees of context within the trailer and varying ways to create suspense and hype for the future release. Many games trailers create the context in the trailer and cutaway at the reveal. God of War's (2018) initial trailer introduced Kratos' son and cutaway, to create suspense, on a wide shot of the area to be explored. TLOU-II trailer introduced nobody. The setting was not clarified. Nothing was clarified.

You then have the Detroit trailer where the director defends the work in the promotional trailer stating viewers just don't have the proper context. If context was key to the trailer then why show that scene outside of that context?

Timothy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The entire show was 18+, which by default everythign shown there was age restricted, plus a 18+ warning came up before the trailer. On top of this, TLOu was violent, very, more so then this scene....what did you expect?

Again I watched the trailer on YouTube, not in the context of the conference. And that second line doesn't hold water, what if you didn't play original but just decided to click on it just like one might click on a Elders Scrolls game trailer having not played all the The Elders Scrolls games.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again I watched the trailer on YouTube, not in the context of the conference. And that second line doesn't hold water, what if you didn't play original but just decided to click on it just like one might click on a Elders Scrolls game trailer having not played all the The Elders Scrolls games.
The game was rated M as was the trailer..... Thats all they should and need to do.

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Games like TLoU are so heavily reliant on their story that a little to no context trailer probably does more good than bad.

Sure there are some that will be lost, but I feel like most will be intrigued and at least keep an eye out for more info which I'm sure ND is gunning for

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
I appreciate the intent but with discussion moving predictably to TLOU2 trailer, this thread is redundant. Please move discussion to the appropriate thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.