• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the worst d-pad Nintendo has ever made. Try playing Puyo Puyo Tetris with it and see what happens. I love all of the "WELL ACKSHUALLY MINE WORKS FLAWLESSLY" posts. No, it really doesn't. You're not playing the right game.

Or, I know this may be shocking, most people have no issue with the dpad.

It is a lot to take in I know.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So the 3 revisions of the Pro Controller are:

104889A
104889B
104889C

So if you're at the store, you'll have a better chance of having a good D-pad with revision C.
It's printed on the back of the box in the lower left corner.
It's unfortunately still a lottery though.

Here's hoping for a good revision D for the D-pad.

Clix

Banned
It's the worst d-pad Nintendo has ever made. Try playing Puyo Puyo Tetris with it and see what happens. I love all of the "WELL ACKSHUALLY MINE WORKS FLAWLESSLY" posts. No, it really doesn't. You're not playing the right game.

I play Puyo a lot. My dpad works perfectly. I'm now saying you didn't have this problem mind you, but my pro didn't have the issues. They may have had some iffy batches in the first run, but I just bought a second controller and it works flawlessly.

It's very possible you're still playing games where it's unnoticeable. Play Puyo Puyo Tetris and get back to me.

Exactly. And this is the same on every Pro controller I've used.

The two I have, don't have his issue. Again, now downplaying you having had issues. But with my launch pro I got one of the good batches. My second one now that I just got had zero issues.

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017
It's very possible you're still playing games where it's unnoticeable. Play Puyo Puyo Tetris and get back to me.

Exactly. And this is the same on every Pro controller I've used.
i have played puyo puyo tetris, no issues. again I've used the controller in many of the conditions that others have had problems in, but again who is going to get on a forum just to tell people their controller works just fine? the people who are complaining are people who got bad controllers who are more likely than not a small subset of users because again why would I come on here just to start a thread about how great my dpad is?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i have played puyo puyo tetris, no issues. again I've used the controller in many of the conditions that others have had problems in, but again who is going to get on a forum just to tell people their controller works just fine? the people who are complaining are people who got bad controllers who are more likely than not a small subset of users because again why would I come on here just to start a thread about how great my dpad is?
Serious? Maybe you are the chosen one. If you have not done this, next time you're at your Switch, go into System Settings->Controllers and Sensors->Test Input Devices->Test Controller Buttons. Rock the dpad side to side for 15 or 20 seconds. If it legit never registers an up or down input I'd be amazed.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I've got a day 1 pro controller and it works perfect on all games but one.

It does not work well with Ultra Street Fighter 2. When I calibrate it, it looks flawless.. but still doesnt work well with that game. Other than that.. nothing about it at all.

Weird.

Tsukinopio

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
The problem with the Switch Pro Controller is that you can press down the entire d-pad at once as if it were a button. No other Nintendo d-pad lets you do this. It's a design flaw.
Because most games don't require the d-pad, let alone accurate directional inputs. Platformers are fine for the most part since they are more forgiving, but Puyo Puyo Tetris and Ultra Street Fighter II nearly unplayable at high level play.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
I had one last year that had some dpad issues and returned it. Got another one last month that works just fine.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
the lottery is still around.

my current controller has a good d-pad and it was a launch model.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've owned three, one at launch, a Splatoon one, and one I bought a month or two ago. Only the launch was one was SLIGHTLY iffy with inputs when mashing between left and right constantly.

But the Splatoon one had a loose right handle even when I tightened the screw as tight as it would go so I got rid of it because that annoyed me more than having a great working d-pad.

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017
Serious? Maybe you are the chosen one. If you have not done this, next time you're at your Switch, go into System Settings->Controllers and Sensors->Test Input Devices->Test Controller Buttons. Rock the dpad side to side for 15 or 20 seconds. If it legit never registers an up or down input I'd be amazed.
i literally have done this three times it never gives me an input i didnt want, I suppose im supremely lucky but then again so is this person apparently

the lottery is still around.

my current controller has a good d-pad and it was a launch model.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really depends on the games you play. Anyone doubting issues with thier Pro D-pad probably just hasn't played a game like Puyo Puyo Tetris yet.

Most games are totally fine. It's just the ones thst require quick and accurate movement that can be frustrating. Try the demo, you'll see what I mean.
Yep, I was playing Tetris with some friends last night, and the amount of phantom Up inputs I got was frustrating. Lots of pieces instantly dropped on the spot, ruining the plays I was trying to do. The Pro Controller d-pad is complete shit, even though everything else is great.

Sero-Kyle

Oct 27, 2017
In my unit the Dpad is fucking horrible. As far as I know only the xenoblade edition has been fixed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really disappointed that it's still a lottery with that C revision. The switch has been out for a year now, and Nintendo has been making dpads for over 30 years. How did they mess this up?

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017
Whether its your thumbs or your dpad, I am jelly.
i did your test again just to be thorough and while i did resigter some up and down inputs they only came from either 1. using the dpad in a unnatural way for me e.g i dont really find myself in situations where rocking the dpad would be appropriate i much prefer to move my thumb to and fro than keeping it placed on the pad and 2. when i could obviously feel and see myself hitting inputs due to the drifting my fingers to when rocking the dpad, which i already find to be not useful for me in the first place. i plan on getting the SF arcade collection and hell maybe my opinion will change but until then i consider my dpad to function perfectly even in games like puyo puyo.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly barely ever use it, even for 2D games.

The precision with the analog is surprisingly good, and I have beaten Celeste and several B-sides with the analog exclusively. Shantae, Bleed 1(well it's dual stick), Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Blaster Master Zero, Shovel Knight, etc... all with the analog.

I can't think of a single 2D game I have used with the dpad actually. The stick is rather precise.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i did your test again just to be thorough and while i did resigter some up and down inputs they only came from either 1. using the dpad in a unnatural way for me e.g i dont really find myself in situations where rocking the dpad would be appropriate i much prefer to move my thumb to and fro than keeping it placed on the pad and 2. when i could obviously feel and see myself hitting inputs due to the drifting my fingers to when rocking the dpad, which i already find to be not useful for me in the first place. i plan on getting the SF arcade collection and hell maybe my opinion will change but until then i consider my dpad to function perfectly even in games like puyo puyo.
Fair enough. Like I said, whether it's your thumbs... Cuz it may just be that your use doesn't lead to unintended inputs and mine does. But if that's the case, it's still a royal pain in the ass for me, because this is not behaviour I'm used to with other d-pads, and it's a real buzzkill in puyo puyo.

Anyways, Thank you very much for giving it another try!

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
I can't play Puyo Tetris and SF2 on this pad. And I've discovered just lately that I find the joycons gyro (with grip) a lot more stable than the pro one. It may be just because the pro's weight is off balanced (heavier on the front).

Bottom line: the sticks of the pro pad are really nice but I'm doing better with joycons + grip so I'm barely using it anymore.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the Pro controller. Bought it with Switch back in December. Used it to complete Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle and for 20+ hours in Zelda and never had any issue with the controller itself. Also rapidly pressed the directional pad on the console's home system menu and never once did it go in a direction that I wasn't pressing. Watching videos, it seems more likely that those who are having an issue are just having the middle part of their thumb hit the directional pad. At least, that's how it looks to me.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got the XB2 pro controller and the dpad issues are incredibly noticeable when playing something like steamworld dig. I'm constantly mining upwards when I want to mine right or vice versa. It's a bit shambolic compared to their other dpads.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let me save you all a lot of headache (and $70)
right now:

8Bitdo Wireless Bluetooth Adapter for Nintendo Switch, Windows, Mac, & Raspberry Pi

$19.99

• Works flawlessly (no lag) with *Switch*, PC, Mac, Raspberry Pi
  • Compatible with these controllers: Dualshock 4, Dualshock 3, Xbox One, Wii U Pro, Wii Remote, Wii/Classic Mini Classic Controllers (via Wii Remote), 8bitdo
  • Dualshock 4 support includes *gyroscope* & rumble
  • Easy-peasy setup
71nWBBjk%2BwL._SL1500_.jpg

91BUTERqOkL._SL1500_.jpg

I've got a day 1 pro controller and it works perfect on all games but one.

It does not work well with Ultra Street Fighter 2. When I calibrate it, it looks flawless.. but still doesnt work well with that game. Other than that.. nothing about it at all.

Weird.

If it doesn't work flawlessly with SFII it isn't working flawlessly with the others either, it's just not as noticeable to you as it is in that game.

Do you have other fighting games like the Neo Geo ones?

Last edited:

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I actually have one the first editions. The strange thing is that the d-pad was bad at the beginning but got better overtime to the point where it works flawlessly now , no wrong inputs or anything, i don't know what's the deal with that.​

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You know...

I've seen people with shoddy dpads post proof before, like a dozen times, using the input test screen in the settings or PPT. I've posted proof for both of my Pro controllers as well.

I've not once seen someone who claims to have no issues post even a short video clip of them demonstrating so. I wanna see what it looks like when you use your d-pad in the input test screen.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know...

I've seen people with shoddy dpads post proof before, like a dozen times, using the input test screen in the settings or PPT. I've posted proof for both of my Pro controllers as well.

I've not once seen someone who claims to have no issues post even a short video clip of them demonstrating so.
People don't make videos of things working like they're supposed to. Naturally.

Netto-kun

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have the opportunity to use the Pro Controller until I got my hands on the Xenoblade 2 controller back in December. Let's just say that I had plenty of misinputs from doing Driver Combos where I wanted to switch to a Blade with the Launch arts (mapped to right on d-pad) but the input was registered as down instead. More recently in Hyrule Warriors DE when I try to switch items like bombs/boomerang/bow & arrow (left/right on d-pad) the input was registered as down instead which caused me to switch characters /shrug I did notice that the inputs seem to become (...slightly?) more precise if your thumb hits the edge of the d-pad directions rather than putting the thumb on them.

For games that require certain degress of 2D movement precision I'll just stick to the Pokken controller. At some point I'll probably invest in the 8Bitdo adapter that's been posted above to pair it with my Wii U Pro Controller or one of my DS4.

Last edited:

DrMario

Oct 27, 2017
You know...

I've not once seen someone who claims to have no issues post even a short video clip of them demonstrating so. I wanna see what it looks like when you use your d-pad in the input test screen.

Exactly. It's so easy to show the phantom inputs. But once someone has dug in that deep, they can't swallow their pride and admit they're wrong. Plus people seem to think their Nintendo loyalty will be voided if they dare criticize anything. They almost take it personally.

I love my switch. I mostly love the pro controller. The dpad situation is an embarrassment. But the tape fix did work well for me.

DrMario

Oct 27, 2017
Even when they're called out about either lying or just not understanding the problem?

It's not a lot to ask. Take a quick video showing you going left and right quickly, and show us how your system never registers a phantom up or down.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how well documented the switch pro's dpad issues are, I'd say the burden of proof has swung in the opposite direction.

If somebody has played through PPT and/or Celeste on Switch with a controller with decent dpad... let me know what controller it was so I can buy it.

(That ds4 adapter looks promising?)

DickHams

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watching this thread for future updates. I want to own a pro controller (I bought one last summer and Puyo was a mess, so I returned it), but not until Nintendo clears this up.

Oct 30, 2017
NJ
My Xeno one is also butt. Can't play Puyo Tetris for it at all.
For now, I'm just sticking to my OG black one with the tape fix. It's now serviceable in menus but I still opt for Joy-Cons when playing Tetris.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Let me save you all a lot of headache (and $70)
right now:

8Bitdo Wireless Bluetooth Adapter for Nintendo Switch, Windows, Mac, & Raspberry Pi

$19.99

• Works flawlessly (no lag) with *Switch*, PC, Mac, Raspberry Pi
  • Compatible with these controllers: Dualshock 4, Dualshock 3, Xbox One, Wii U Pro, Wii Remote, Wii/Classic Mini Classic Controllers (via Wii Remote), 8bitdo
  • Dualshock 4 support includes *gyroscope* & rumble
  • Easy-peasy setup
71nWBBjk%2BwL._SL1500_.jpg

91BUTERqOkL._SL1500_.jpg

If it doesn't work flawlessly with SFII it isn't working flawlessly with the others either, it's just not as noticeable to you as it is in that game.

Do you have other fighting games like the Neo Geo ones?
MagicNS >>> that adapter

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MagicNS >>> that adapter
That's the first I've heard of MagicNS.

https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nin...FjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw092wybqhU-C4jNa59A8kbC

That's the link? The only other Mayflash adapter I've used is the Wii CC > USB, but it worked fine.

This would actually be really good for me as I have a couple USB arcade sticks and I didn't really want to buy one for my Switch but I do need one.

I assume the one thing 8bitdo's adapter has going for it over this is the gyroscope support in the DS4 if you want to use motion controls, but that's not a big deal to me since I'd just use the JoyCons for the few games where that applies. But it can't do wired USB!

I think you've sold me an adapter.

I do have one question about the adapters, in general. Do they still work undocked if you use a miniUSB adapter? Because with the Nyko Switch stand and my HRAP4 it would be pretty sweet to have a portable arcade machine.

I'd *really* like an arcade stick with a built in groove for the switch, something like this:

6a016765703ff6970b019aff29518f970b-pi

joystick-para-tablet_68079_3.jpg

I actually already have an icade core (top pic) but it's garbage. I could junk the guts and keep the case and make a Switch stick...

Might even be worth it to build one, especially if the bottom could unhinge to carry the Switch & JoyCons inside and you gave it a handle...

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
MagicNS supports gyro and IIRC comes with an adapter to use it undocked (although I might have it confused with the FastSnail adapter in that regard). It def works undocked tho