• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't say I have any issues with mine.
I swear I see at least one of these threads a week though, so it must still be a problem.

OP
OP
Remark

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
UPDATE: Got my Pro controller in today, luckily it was the newest revision and I'm pleased to say my D-Pad is perfectly fine. I tried it out in Puyo Puyo and Axiom Verge (probably not the best game to test it out in) and they both responded to my D-Pad inputs perfectly fine even in rapid pressing. Only thing I don't like about it is that the whole D-Pad presses down like a button but other than that it's all good shit.

- blout monocle

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
Never was ass, just different.

"Different" would mean that it does some things better, some things worse. It does nothing better than Nintendo's past pads. Absolutely nothing. Even menu navigation is unreliable; I've had it shoot left or right while holding down in the system settings, and in BotW many people complained about it selecting the runes instead of changing weapons. Even the simplest tasks fail with this thing. It sucks shit.

Isn't there some remedy for the Pro D-pad issue? Thought I read something about it but didn't recall specifics.

Yes, you put scotch tape over about half of the contacts on the circuit board. You want to use scotch tape because it's thin and won't change the feel of the pad.

This only solves the false inputs... the pad itself is still very shallow and doesn't pivot much. It's still a monumental improvement over the stock D pad, but it'll never feel as good as the Wii U pads.

Or, I know this may be shocking, most people have no issue with the dpad.

It is a lot to take in I know.

What games are most people playing? If you're not having any issues with the pad in Splatoon 2, that's not worth anything. If you're not having any issues in a 2D fighter, or wall jumping in a Metroid, then that's something.

UPDATE: Got my Pro controller in today, luckily it was the newest revision and I'm pleased to say my D-Pad is perfectly fine. I tried it out in Puyo Puyo and Axiom Verge (probably not the best game to test it out in) and they both responded to my D-Pad inputs perfectly fine even in rapid pressing. Only thing I don't like about it is that the whole D-Pad presses down like a button but other than that it's all good shit.

- blout monocle

The real test of the D pad is to go into the system settings under input test and then hold a direction on the pad and wiggle it back and forth. If you hold right and wiggle it up and down, it should not register up and down inputs whatsoever. Repeat that for all four blades, and if none of them give false inputs then your D pad actually is great.

If you do get false inputs, it means that your D pad is just as bad as the others and you just haven't noticed it yet. Some games aren't as demanding as others... although in my experience even in the most casual uses the D pad occasionally registered wrong inputs.

senorgrande

Oct 25, 2017
I hate it, it's too pronounced. For navigating menus it's fine but as the main control method I find it really uncomfortable. The only game I have where I prefer to use a dpad is Shovel Knight and I dislike the pro controller's enough that I actually use the joycon "dpad" instead.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I've only really had a problem with Puyo Puyo Tetris and that seems to be the go-to complaint game for those with the issue. Even then it's either gotten better with time or I've just trained myself to be extra pricise with my D-pad motions so it's really not a problem for me anymore.