• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Seriously, this is a clear cut case of illegal voter suppression and conflict of interest and who knows what else? WHY CAN'T HOUSE DEMOCRATS START A COMMITTEE TO INVESTIGATE THIS?

Anyone have any good idea why this can't be done?

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Democrats will be aggressive on this issue and open a federal investigation.

This needs to be made as public as possible.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It needs a thorough investigation. At the very least, Kemp's actions throughout the election look extremely suspect and no-one can have any confidence in the result given everything that happened, and there was a lot of crap that happened. Democracy, like justice, needs to be seen to be done. Having this heavy cloud over it is incredibly destructive, even if by some miracle it turns out Kemp did nothing actually illegal.

Personally, I think the fucker is guilty as hell and should be in jail for what he's done. But yeah, investigate and nail it down.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
The system is such a mess, he should never even be able to be involved in the election process. Also, I want him in jail. If the Dems ever win control of this country again, they need to redesign our entire, archaic ,voting system.

Oct 27, 2017
The idea that the in power Governor campaigning for re-election also has the responsibility of overseeing the election and voting is absolutely absurd. Talk about conflict of interest.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping someone more legally minded could answer that Q actually....
Don't think there is an avenue unfortunately, barring passing a law that retroactively punished someone, which would be extremely unlikely to say the least.
Elections are state powers, unless it goes against a law.

BankaiZaraki

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah he very clearly suppressed votes and the fact that he oversaw this is a slap in the fucking face to Abrams. If I were her, I'd do everything legally possible to get those ballots cast and counted.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Roomate of mine in Atlanta was literally purged. He is black and we joked about the possibility of it happening to him but didn't think he would end up being denied his vote.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, nothing will be done. If Abrams lost by 90,000 votes, then I think it was more voter suppression tactics and gerrymandering taking place than purging of voter records.

You have to remember as well, Georgia has elected Republican governors for the past 16 years. They elected a governor to two terms that resigned from the House for ethics violations and was under investigation by the House before he ran for governor.

Laws aren't meant for them to follow, not even from Congress or from the courts.

What's sad is the Republicans in Georgia want things so tough for people voting Democrat, are brown/black, and don't support them that they leave for another state. That's their end game. Nearly 99% Republican turn out because everyone in the city of Atlanta and other major cities in Georgia have left.

Matt_

Oct 25, 2017
What are the rules with the run off?
I think I heard on the news that to be a majority you needed 50+1%, is that right or it it just 50?

Oct 26, 2017
Non US here (UK) but I discovered why last night... it's absolute madness

Basically the GOP candidate was also the returning officer for the election.... WTF? That shouldn't even be allowed... nevermind being a unwritten rule...

So he can basically dismiss any voters he wants to?
Do I understand that correctly?
If so, the U.S. has gone to war on foreign soil to "bring democracy" for such antics in the past.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could you explain to someone not from the U.S. how this happens exactly?
the guy who won was trying to use any excuse to purge voters from the rolls from not voting in the last election to claiming their information wasn't correct. people need to fight this because this is likely going to be how republicans win election from now on.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could you explain to someone not from the U.S. how this happens exactly?
Kemp, who won, was the secretary of state in GA.

He was literally overseeing how voting was conducted.

You can read about one of this schemes here.

https://www.gregpalast.com/georgias...0134-voters-falsely-asserting-they-had-moved/

Here is a short version that should give you an idea as to what went down and how though.
Last year, Brian Kemp, Georgia's secretary of state canceled the registrations of over half a million Georgians because they left the state or moved to another county. Except they didn't. The nation's top experts in address location reviewed Kemp's list of purged voters — and returned the names and addresses of 340,134 who never moved at all.

This is the story of the mass exodus from Georgia that never happened, and the mass purge of voters by Kemp, GOP candidate for governor, through methods guaranteed to disproportionately take away the vote from the young, the poor and voters of color.

Oct 26, 2017

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
If so, the U.S. has gone to war on foreign soil to "bring democracy" for such antics in the past.

I mean basically yeah... I don't think he has directly blocked people, more so making certain groups job of voting harder... like placing polling stations in gated communites so the "poor" can't get to the polling station for example, stating certain groups "Had moved out" when they hadn't.

It's not democracy, unless you think Robert Mugabe ran democratic and free elections.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean basically yeah... I don't think he has directly blocked people, more so making certain groups job of voting harder... like placing polling stations in gated communites so the "poor" can't get to the polling station for example, stating certain groups "Had moved out" when they hadn't.

It's not democracy, unless you think Robert Mugabe ran democratic and free elections.
Excuse me but that is directly blocking people from voting.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Excuse me but that is directly blocking people from voting.

Not really... He just claimed they had moved out of the state... and didn't really do any checking to correct that...

Directly blocking would literally just filter out the black people of the voting list... That's too out in the open.

It's not directly targeting individuals... but the effect is the same.

It's basically Blackadder III

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, your voter registration can be taken away at any time for some combination of inactivity or slightly mismatched or missing data fields and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it and you aren't informed of it unless you specifically check your voter registration status. There's nothing you can do to individually contest a purge other than re-registering and since the deadline to register to vote in Georgia is 25 days before the election many people can't even do that, if they even knew they were purged at all. It's banana republic nonsense which few have really needed to go to in order to protect their elected positions, since less suspicious methods of voter suppression like voter id laws, moving polling places, shutting down DMVs and other facilities where you can get your voter id, cutting off early voting, etc. are much easier to get away with. What Kemp has done heading to this election is well beyond anything done to influence other major elections in the past.

Also the only reason this is possible is because the Supreme Court decided to stop enforcing Section 5 of the Voting Rights act in 2013 in Shelby v. Holder. Before all the problem states in the south had to run everything they did for an election that might influence the ability of black people to vote by a federal agency to make sure people had the right to vote and for some nonsensical reason they determined that there was no need to have that kind of oversight any more, which made no sense at all given the state of elections in this country. So things have gotten much worse just in the last 4 years and will continue to get worse as there is no chance Section 5 is reinstated or a similar law is put into motion anytime soon given GOP control of the supreme court.

2020 needs certain races to be monitored by the UN, full stop. We are not a functioning democracy anymore and we need international intervention if we want to have any hope of maintaining the legitimacy of our elections. But unfortunately I doubt that will happen since Trump will just place tariffs on everyone who votes for such a measure

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, nothing will be done. If Abrams lost by 90,000 votes, then I think it was more voter suppression tactics and gerrymandering taking place than purging of voter records.

You have to remember as well, Georgia has elected Republican governors for the past 16 years. They elected a governor to two terms that resigned from the House for ethics violations and was under investigation by the House before he ran for governor.

Laws aren't meant for them to follow, not even from Congress or from the courts.

What's sad is the Republicans in Georgia want things so tough for people voting Democrat, are brown/black, and don't support them that they leave for another state. That's their end game. Nearly 99% Republican turn out because everyone in the city of Atlanta and other major cities in Georgia have left.
Wtf? That's not even remotely true. Atlanta and Georgia's population is still growing. People leaving the state is what kemp said when he purged the voter roles but those people never left.

Lcs

Aug 9, 2018
As a non-american, America's electoral system never ceases to amaze me.

In any sane democracy, the elections are overseen by an independent body, not by someone actually running for office lol.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
If people do nothing then we fucking deserve these corrupt wretched fucks

Just like a fucking liberal to literally watch corruption take place, put your hands in your pockets and say OH WELL

gutless

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
As a non-american, America's electoral system never ceases to amaze me.

In any sane democracy, the elections are overseen by an independent body, not by someone actually running for office lol.
Problem is that all of this was set up in our original constitution, which is a bitch to change even at the best of times.

Election reforms are neigh impossible because any reform will inevitably help one side, so the other side won't vote for it.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Explicitly antidemocratic voter roll purging aside, the absolute incompetence of how polling sites were run in Georgia yesterday is criminal. If anybody sees that and thinks that the guy running the election is at all capable of running the whole state, then damn

Whether you attribute this whole debacle to malice or incompetence Kemp is deeply unqualified for governorship

Lcs

Aug 9, 2018
Problem is that all of this was set up in our original constitution, which is a bitch to change even at the best of times.

Election reforms are neigh impossible because any reform will inevitably help one side, so the other side won't vote for it.

Whatever happened to no taxation without representation?

According to this link:

Kemp, who won, was the secretary of state in GA.

He was literally overseeing how voting was conducted.

You can read about one of this schemes here.

https://www.gregpalast.com/georgias...0134-voters-falsely-asserting-they-had-moved/

Here is a short version that should give you an idea as to what went down and how though.

You have people actually living and paying taxes in Georgia, while being denied the right to vote for their governor.

It all sound completely insane to me.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Roomate of mine in Atlanta was literally purged. He is black and we joked about the possibility of it happening to him but didn't think he would end up being denied his vote.

What does this mean exactly? He went to the polls and they said he couldn't vote? Or he can his vote but somehow wasn't counted?

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Calling for an investigation on your opponent two days before election day needs to added to that. Didn't he have programmers change the software to make it look vulnerable right before?

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
So when do people say fuck this and take matters into their own hands? It seems they push and push but eventually voters aren't going to take it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Even with open face cheating, she still got close. I am kinda of proud at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.