• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is to say, janky as all hell.

I'm loving the world/environment, the characters, and the story so far, but I'm really hating actually having to engage in combat. I imagine this is how a lot of people felt playing Witcher 3, a game whose combat system I personally enjoyed.

Am I alone in not liking Origins' combat system?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They went from a simple combat system of the previous games that didn't have a ton of depth but looked "cool/amazing" when you were fighting (especially at it's height, which was AC3 imo with it's multi-takedowns and animations that they for some reason dropped after that game) and made it into a very super easy and simple rpg combat system that was far too easy but now no longer looked or felt as cool as the older AC games.

The combat in Origins is just mind numbingly boring, it has little to no depth to it in terms of your available moves and strategies, the enemies move list is far too simple and shared between most enemies of the same type (and they STILL use the very gamey and outdated "Huge guys = you can't block" type of crap). Then for some really really strange reason they took out the cool takedown/kill animations that the AC series was known for. You literally had like 2-3 kill animations per weapon and they got REALLY repetitive and didn't look nearly as cool, heck half the time the animation wasn't synced and you'd be attacking air or clipping through the enemy.

They should have looked at games like Dark Souls or even For Honor for a more involving and fun combat system.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Specifics? Janky is not really an argument. I'm playing it now myself and about 17 hours in, no real problems(Nightmare + scaling).

My biggest complaint is that even on the highest difficulty, there are too many ways to subvert the AI or fall back on base tactics for easy wins. Stealth is very OP too(predator bow esp). Though it can demand some real attention when surrounded by a group and unwilling to restart from checkpoints to try stealth again. I've never been frustrated or felt there is a design flaw in the way it operates, just some balancing considerations.

Though I also put 300 hours in W3 and don't really agree with the criticisms either.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I also really enjoyed the combat in Witcher 3. Imagine my surprise when I finished that game only to go online and find out nearly everyone hated it lol.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind it really. Though this is my first real Assassin's Creed game so it's hard to compare. A bit on the easy side as well.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It felt awful, I agree 100%. Technically, it's different from what came before, but it's just another form of crap.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher was pretty good with Signs and varied enemy types. The main Campaign of ACO was just dudes, and bashing them with swords and stuff. Geralt moved better than Bayek, too, ironically. I had a devil of a time fighting the camera and switching targets in ACO.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't really agree. Playing AC: Origins drives home how much better at mechanical design Ubisoft are compared to most of their peers. AC: Origins is how I wish The Witcher 3 played.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The Witcher 3's combat gets talked about so much to counteract those that discuss the game like it is infallible.

Neither is good once you get deeper in to the game but at least Witcher has a lot more diversity in what you can do. That said, Bayek feels a lot better than Geralt does. He actually has weight. The movement in Origins is a lot better too. Origins' combat just gets insanely repetitive with very few different types of enemies and too few animations.

knuckles

Oct 29, 2017
It's very easy but so is every other assassins creed game. It's a very casual series. And that's ok. I thought it was fun replacement of the counter everything to win formula of the previous games. I hated witcher 3's combat at all difficulty levels. Cd projekt red making a fps should be interesting.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's the best combat in the series which obviously isn't a high bar, but still nothing that great. ARPGs usually pale in melee combat/encounter design.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Having played both extensively I can't really agree with this.

Also I think the experience differs a good deal by weapon type. I find the Axe a fucking JOY to use in Origins and it's very satisfying with a fun moveset and animations. Not so much with the various Sword types though.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
It does has it very frustrating moments. For instance I was going to a mission spot when some rebels were engaged in combat with legionnaires. Saw the pop up asking me to help and the moment I attacked a Roman soldier all the rebels fled or died causing a dozen soldiers to wheel around and spam arrows at me. What the hell man. Definitely wasn't tested well, these "dynamic events."

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just get on a horse and slaughter everything. I find it pretty easy. The Phlakyes are annoying but nothing is too difficult in this game. I'm about 30 hours in level 30 right now.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't think anyone has ever accused The Witcher 3's combat of being fun.

I'll admit that AC:O's melee combat isn't terribly nuanced, but it always gave me the right amount of satisfaction when having to confront larger enemies. It's light, a little mashy, and big on flashy finishing moves. When you consider that it mostly comes up in scenarios where you've botched a stealth approach - it's highly forgivable in an otherwise excellent game.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played the game for a couple hours and didn't enjoy it. The setting is the only thing that interested me because I love Egyptian stuff. Writing was bad, ugly choppy cutscenes were bad, poopy combat was bad, RPG elements felt very tacked on, and the game got a very obvious downgrade from the original reveal. The game also feels needlessly big, and hearing that Odyssey is way bigger just seems totally unnecessary. Big maps don't make a bland game good. This open world obsession people have is kind of ruining gaming.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
I found this combat serviceable as well. Not worse than previous AC games for sure.

What I actually hated was the feeling of doing the same thing over and over for hours. I couldn't bear it anymore at a certain point close to the 15-20 hours mark.

Deleted member 23965

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer the battle system in AC Unity/Syndicate far more to the previous games and Origins. It plays much closer to the Arkham games and is quite responsive.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would actually agree on the movement. I did dislike the absence of a run button and the way Bayek moves.

However, I much preferred the combat in Origins. The combat in TW3 was the worst part of an amazing game.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Prefer the old counter system but I play these stealth and try and avoid straight up combat as much as possible.

Also why I hated the leveling in origins.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The entire AC series has been a nightmare when it comes to combat

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you. Both have bad combat systems.

That said, I haven't liked the combat in AC since Black Flag :/ The simple, rhythm based melee of the first few was way more appealing to me than the Frankenstein's Monster they're currently rocking / the rubbish feel of the games post-Unity.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I was into the combat. My main issue was the complete lack of variety.

Bayak is fighting the same exact enemies from hour one to hour eighty.

JChung55

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Janky combat would be more akin to a game like Elex. AC Origins controls great, better than Witcher 3. Although, I didn't think Witcher 3's combat was that bad, it was actually pretty fun on harder difficulties.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Origins is the best combat in the series and The Witcher 3 has absolutely horrible combat that is the definition of janky. I couldn't agree less, Op.

Nov 1, 2017
I liked when Assassin's Creed was the kill robot game and not the Diet Dark Souls game honestly. AC should just fully accept that it has no real depth at this point. Regardless, I'm just glad they didn't keep the molasses slow combat from Unity.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
That is to say, janky as all hell.

I'm loving the world/environment, the characters, and the story so far, but I'm really hating actually having to engage in combat. I imagine this is how a lot of people felt playing Witcher 3, a game whose combat system I personally enjoyed.

Am I alone in not liking Origins' combat system?
Combat is a major improvement over last games and better than W3 by far. Even tho it's not perfect but a great start in the right direction

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Totally disagree with OP. ACO combat is leagues beyond TW3's, from hitboxes to animation to overall feel, and that's not getting into the weapon variety and archery that TW3 entirely lacks (not counting Geralt's garbage crossbow).

That said, you're free to have your own preferences. I'm sure there are people out there who prefer Bubsy 3D's platforming to that of Super Mario Galaxy, and that's okay.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Am I in the minority as someone who enjoyed both Witcher 3 and AC:O combat? Witcher 3 combat is highly variable based on your build. If you focus on swords skills + Quen, it's pretty boring. But if you focus on alchemy and non-Quen spells and play on the highest difficulty, it's actually pretty entertaining. Same is somewhat true of AC:O. Archery is actually a highly viable playstyle now and it's fun to mix it up with different melee weapons. The biggest issue I have with AC:O is the targeting. It just doesn't work very well. I'm not a big fan of combat that relies on lock-on systems. If you give attacks decent homing, there's no need for a lock-on system and multi-enemy combat simply flows a lot better. I thought the homing in Witcher 3 was great.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Origins and Odyssey look so cool, I just wish they used an entirely different gameplay engine. AC always manages to make the most basic of mechanics (moving, running, jumping, performing actions, combat) to be as unpleasant, janky, and unresponsive as possible.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a X which came with AC:O around the time I was playing God of War. When I was done with that I tried to start it up and it was unplayable for me, I just couldn't deal with the horrible combat after coming off of a game with good combat. Say what you will about the old ACs but at least their combat was smooth looking and not this poor dark souls wannabe with jank on the level of a piranha bytes game powering it.