• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Played a few hours on Series X with the patch. It seems marginally better, not a lot though. Still tears. Cutscenes still stutter, though per DF we already know that's something beyond a performance issue.

Melpontro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, this is a weird complaint, but has anyone else noticed that certain effects (birds around sync points, smoke indoors, some fires) appear to be animating at half the frames of the game?

They are like moving in slow motion and it's weird looking.
I think this is something they do intentionally for performance reasons. This has been the case since the engine overhaul in Origins. On PC, the Birds and similar effects all run at a lower framerate than the rest of the game.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Not right now while prices are still high, but if it becomes within means to get a VRR-compatible display sometime down the road, I do highly recommend it if your display is going to be used mostly for gaming. It's been a killer feature for years on PC and it saves some of the odd little quirks with this game and has the potential to save others down the line, too.

Just like PC, I would not mind "VRR Performance" modes where it's tuned to just run kinda rampant above 60fps. On my gaming laptop (which has a FreeSync display), running Doom Eternal with gradual fluctuations between 80fps and 120fps (the display's max) is pretty damn sublime and it looks and feels completely solid with VRR engaged. You can still feel really harsh dips, like if the reduction from 120 to 80fps in Doom Eternal was instantaneous and not gradual it'd be very noticeable, but since it isn't, it feels like I'm just playing a consistently smooth game. I have a similar experience with Gears 5 on my laptop as well, which runs anywhere between 60fps and 85fps on near max settings (1080p) -- completely feels smooth and consistent thanks the VRR, despite the fluctuations.

AC Valhalla on Xbox Series X looks and feels fine other than cutscene stutter, before and after this patch, to me because I'm playing on an LG CX. It is a premium display with a premium price, but do investigate options in your budget later down the road when it inevitably becomes more affordable -- it's such a great feature for gaming.

As someone who just bought the 55" version of that TV on sale, I whole heartedly agree. VRR is going to be game changing this generation I feel because of the increased framerates.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
The XSS version performing great is a pleasant surprise. I think after the developers learn the tools better, it'll have no problem keeping up with the main consoles (with lower resolution, obviously).

Oct 27, 2017
Played for a few hours on Series S in performance mode. Didn't notice a single drop in fps. No screen tearing too (it was not present before patch too) Graphics also look great in motion. No drops to some last gen resolutions like 720p. Great patch for series s.

N2BearHugs

May 29, 2018
WTF happened to the PS5 version? It was running fine.

Sigh. I'll just play 13 Sentinels until they fix their shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Not right now while prices are still high, but if it becomes within means to get a VRR-compatible display sometime down the road, I do highly recommend it if your display is going to be used mostly for gaming. It's been a killer feature for years on PC and it saves some of the odd little quirks with this game and has the potential to save others down the line, too.

Just like PC, I would not mind "VRR Performance" modes where it's tuned to just run kinda rampant above 60fps. On my gaming laptop (which has a FreeSync display), running Doom Eternal with gradual fluctuations between 80fps and 120fps (the display's max) is pretty damn sublime and it looks and feels completely solid with VRR engaged. You can still feel really harsh dips, like if the reduction from 120 to 80fps in Doom Eternal was instantaneous and not gradual it'd be very noticeable, but since it isn't, it feels like I'm just playing a consistently smooth game. I have a similar experience with Gears 5 on my laptop as well, which runs anywhere between 60fps and 85fps on near max settings (1080p) -- completely feels smooth and consistent thanks the VRR, despite the fluctuations.

AC Valhalla on Xbox Series X looks and feels fine other than cutscene stutter, before and after this patch, to me because I'm playing on an LG CX. It is a premium display with a premium price, but do investigate options in your budget later down the road when it inevitably becomes more affordable -- it's such a great feature for gaming.
Totally agree with this, it's going to be a major feature this generation. I have my X connected to my ips/HDR monitor with my PC, it's freesync/gsync compatable and I be never seen any screen tears or performance drops, it's been silky smooth for me ask the way through. A good alternative if you can't drop 2k on a TV

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Probably. Most here on this forum are absolutely mental.

This certainly doesn't help. Nor does them having three games out on next gen justify these performance issues. This shit is hard and the people losing their minds are ridiculous. However I think it's fine to be frustrated when performance goes backwards for some.

kfresh

Dec 23, 2018
The first thing I did after the update was complete a mission I had saved at, and during the cutscene afterwards
streamable.com

b8ab8695-f984-4571-838a-373d76deeac9

Watch "b8ab8695-f984-4571-838a-373d76deeac9" on Streamable.
Not entirely sure it was the update, but it sure was amusing, even their subtitles were missing.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I stopped the download, but i have to Remember to stop it everytime or not to stop the game, since i guess the game must be stopped for the update to run.

Little hint for the PS5: There Is an option that enables patch Updates while in Rest mode. The game will be stopped and the patch installed.
If you don't want that, you need to disable it in the options menu.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The sound sampling is really uneven in this game. I'm actually wondering if some voice actors especially for lesser used NPCs wasn't done remotely and not in studio due to the pandemic.

Some of it sounds fine, some of it sounds extram compressed.

This has nothing to do with the pandemic, Origins and Odyssey also sounded like recorded in a bathroom. those games had extremely bad audio quality, sounded very muffled and low bitrate.

besides that, the pandemic excuse is getting tired, these are multi billion companies wanting money for their products, if they can´t bring it to a decent quality level they should postpone their stuff, pandemic or not.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
Why buy games at launch anymore? Especially single player games. In 6 months when they finishing updating the game it will be at least half the price it started at.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This certainly doesn't help. Nor does them having three games out on next gen justify these performance issues. This shit is hard and the people losing their minds are ridiculous. However I think it's fine to be frustrated when performance goes backwards for some.

Performance issues my f-ing ass. Listen, I don't want to sound like a Ubi fanboy which I am absolutely not, but Valhalla is the prettiest open world I have ever played, and it's pretty much locked at 60 fps on the version I play (XSX). Which is unheard of to me on a console.

I rather have games like this early with 'some' issues, than these pretentious AAA games that come out many YEARS after consoles launch.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, was hoping for something there. I get frame drops like crazy at certain points for no reason
If you haven't already, I highly advise giving this a go:
discourse.differentk.fyi

Assassin's Creed Valhalla

At the time of writing (v 0.11.0.51 // Nov 13, 2020), the official release of Special K is incompatible with this game (DRM / D3D12 / DXGI Debug issues). A pre-configured standalone release of Special K (v 0.11.1) is available for this game. Before After Install Download SK_ACV.7z...

It pretty much eliminated all my framedrop and frametime issues.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Performance issues my f-ing ass. Listen, I don't want to sound like a Ubi fanboy which I am absolutely not, but Valhalla is the prettiest open world I have ever played, and it's pretty much locked at 60 fps on the version I play (XSX). Which is unheard of to me on a console.

I rather have games like this early with 'some' issues, than these pretentious AAA games that come out many YEARS after consoles launch.

We're in a thread about a patch where one of the versions of this game got worse. Also the XSX version was not a locked 60 fps previously, I can't attest to what it is now.

As far as your last comment goes, I have no idea what relevance it has at all.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Makes PS5 run worse"

Really? Actually just sounds like we are finally seeing the power differences of the two consoles, the gulf of power between them /😏

Deleted member 30987

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
"Makes PS5 run worse"

Really? Actually just sounds like we are finally seeing the power differences of the two consoles, the gulf of power between them /😏

And something company behind marketing of this title was very much looking for haha. And sth that occured to AC:Unity running better on weaker machine , by some strange coincidence being marketed and advertised by the owner of that weaker machine.

Jokes aside I guess code parity may prefer XSX HW now giving hickups to PS5.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, thought I imagined frame rate drops playing on PS5 yesterday, apparently it was not only my imagination. :(

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

This game isn't even close to being the prettiest open world game there is, it's arguably worse looking than the 2016 in its own franchise.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
So I had my first big session with the game yesterday, played for 3,5 hours on PS5. All good until I entered a settlement where I tried to do 2 world quests. One bugged out on me completely (Rolf the Raider went away, once I found him again he told me the same sentence 3 times, but I can't talk to him to proceed the quest), the other with The Snake merchant was even more aggrevating: the merchant darts away with INSANE speed, where Eivor can't possibly keep up, with no indication of where to. I found him again by pure luck and managed to somehow get him after 20 minutes. Both these quests soured me on the whole session yesterday... The game is far from done on the patch front.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
"Makes PS5 run worse"

YJjcIGd.gif

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This game isn't even close to being the prettiest open world game there is, it's arguably worse looking than the 2016 in its own franchise.

No. Just... Yeah, no. I have no idea what games you're playing, but I would like to see them.
I'm probably the biggest RDR2 fanboy in existence, but AC V does look better than even that at times.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
Hmm, I'm seeing stutter now, and I'm playing on a VRR display. The game was perfectly smooth before and now it doesn't feel like that. XSX here.

It seems that rebooting the console helps? Game stutters after waking up the console from sleep mode. Anyone with similar issue?

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Is the XSX versione ultimately better or worse? Getting conflicted reports
v1.0.4 is much better than previous version (v1.0.2).

On XSX - Performance (Dynamic 4K/60fps) Mode: tearing is almost totally gone + framerate is more stable while visual clarity is even higher and more consistent (with less noticeable pop-in and LoD switching during horse traversal) + HDR is brighter in darkest areas + a lot more Quality of Life improvements for the gameplay itself.

It's very much what it should have been at D1, but two weeks later.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
While I 100% hope it gets fixed, cause this sucks for people that bought the game, after the trash fire the DF thread about ACV was, I find this absolutely hilarious.

Mayyyyyybe we shouldn't read too much into how these games are running on their respective systems?
Hahaha, yep. Perhabs it's time to wait and many already said this beforehand. But you know the hottakes are coming in hotter than the games or tools.

Last edited: