• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
For Switch? We know, we've been talking about it in the Eshop thread, there is no NEO Geo game this week.

Pretty sure it is just a regular Arcade Archive this week.
Aw, what? Why? Was there some other ACA release from Hamster that took its place?

For the love of God I just want Puzzle Bobble 2 to release before my upcoming flight.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Aw, what? Why? Was there some other ACA release from Hamster that took its place?

For the love of God I just want Puzzle Bobble 2 to release before my upcoming flight.
I mean, I agree I am holding out for PB2 as well, but yeah I think they just mixed it up for a regular release this week. I am blanking on the name. Definitely recommend subbing the eshop thread though.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...-feudal-alloy-downwell-onimusha-outrun.90297/

NewAgeOfAces

Dec 5, 2017
Hamster has announced the next batch of ACA NeoGeo titles.

• The Ultimate 11: SNK Footbal Championship
  • The King of Fighters 2003
  • Baseball Stars 2
  • Samurai Spirits Zero SPECIAL

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Glad that RB2 and WHP finally made it to the PS4. Now I only need Art of Fighting 3

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
BS2 and SSVS are definite buys. I'm a little sad though, this feels like the end of ACA Neo Geo. ;__;

Hamster & SNK should team-up to do Pocket Archives NGPC next...

NewAgeOfAces

Dec 5, 2017
I'm really hoping Hamster can strike a deal with Visco and get some of their MVS titles for the ACA treatment.

We need Breakers Revenge and Neo Drift Out: New Technology. The rally car licensing is probably too much of an issue though.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
So is this every single SNK game ever now? That's pretty impressive. I hope they can get the Viewpoint, Bomberman, and SNK VS Capcom games out sometime in the future.

...And by god, an ACA batch without clones. All those games actually are unique enough to stand on their own which is pretty impressive since SNK liked to rip off people in their early days, and that's what a lot of the 1990-1995 titles do... KOF 2003 I may pick up since it's the newest KOF and I was waiting for that, and V Special I may check out depending on if it's better than VI. VI's newer but it has too many characters and feels like a bad complex take on street fighter with swords, but I heard V Special is more down to earth and not as stupidly complex so maybe I'll try that.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Too bad 2003 is a terrible game, arguably is the KOF that plays the worst in the Neo Geo game.

At least I always have a soft spot for the game since I always found the graphics in this game curious, the stage design are way different than what we would normally see, and they are pretty, but at the same time I don't know why they don't fit at all with the sprites to me

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad 2003 is a terrible game, arguably is the KOF that plays the worst in the Neo Geo game.

At least I always have a soft spot for the game since I always found the graphics in this game curious, the stage design are way different than what we would normally see, and they are pretty, but at the same time I don't know why they don't fit at all with the sprites to me
I'm still going to get it because I like the tag gameplay. It was better realized in XI, for sure, but I still enjoy 2003 nonetheless.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
2003 is the newest KOF on NG, and I like going for the newest games if I can (though checking out the oldest to see how the series progressed is fun too) so I'm gonna get it as well. Got the collection on PS4 and felt 94 was clunky, 95/6 was medicore, 97 was decent fun and 98 was all over the place, but I also got 2000 and REALLY liked that one, so i'm hoping this is more like that game.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I can get motivated for KOF these days. I'm sure I still have them for PS2 and some other consoles. I know I still have the MVS cards and I haven't touched them in years. Hmm.

SS, MOTW, Last Blade might tickle my nostalgia though. And then my collector's instinct (damn it) might wish it had KOF too. But I'm not sure I can see myself playing fighters again.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, this is interesting, we have been discussing for a long time about how one of most glaring omission in this collection were the Visco games. One would think that either they were not licensing their games or their price was too expensive to bother.

Well, today I discovered that 2 weeks ago, a very small french publisher called JoshProd whose main business is releasing games for retro consoles like the mega drive and dreamcast was planning on releasing Verdict Guilty, one of the most poverty fighting games that you could ever find on steam for only 3 dollars (or 1 if you wait for a steam sale) for the Nintendo Switch, Dreamcast and the friggin Sega Saturn, and that on top of that, they are going to add the BREAKERS REVENGE CHARACTERS FOR THAT VERSION

And not only that, the same account said that they had the rights for all Visco games

Also, another small publisher from Brazil called Qubyte Studio is going to release Vasara 1 and 2 for the Switch and PC.This are shoot em ups made by visco in an non neo geo arcade board

So yeah, either these guys have the rights for all Visco games and they don't want to license the stuff to Hamster, or Hamster are some really cheap bastards who don't want to pay the what seems to be an incredible small fee to license those games to Visco.

Now, I will love if JoshProd released a physical edition of Breakers Revenge for the Switch or PS4, after all, they released vanilla Breakers for the dreamcast 2 years ago

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Cold heart. This is the best iteration of Yamazaki in the whole series! 03 has a special place in my heart for that.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Well, this is interesting, we have been discussing for a long time about how one of most glaring omission in this collection were the Visco games. One would think that either they were not licensing their games or their price was too expensive to bother.

Well, today I discovered that 2 weeks ago, a very small french publisher called JoshProd whose main business is releasing games for retro consoles like the mega drive and dreamcast was planning on releasing Verdict Guilty, one of the most poverty fighting games that you could ever find on steam for only 3 dollars (or 1 if you wait for a steam sale) for the Nintendo Switch, Dreamcast and the friggin Sega Saturn, and that on top of that, they are going to add the BREAKERS REVENGE CHARACTERS FOR THAT VERSION

And not only that, the same account said that they had the rights for all Visco games

Also, another small publisher from Brazil called Qubyte Studio is going to release Vasara 1 and 2 for the Switch and PC.This are shoot em ups made by visco in an non neo geo arcade board

So yeah, either these guys have the rights for all Visco games and they don't want to license the stuff to Hamster, or Hamster are some really cheap bastards who don't want to pay the what seems to be an incredible small fee to license those games to Visco.

Now, I will love if JoshProd released a physical edition of Breakers Revenge for the Switch or PS4, after all, they released vanilla Breakers for the dreamcast 2 years ago

Visco is still around and owns their IP.

http://www.visco.co.jp/

Preaumably JoshProd and Qubyte just licensed the stuff they're working with. The Vasara Collection is allso coming to PS4 and Vita too btw, and all 3 console versions are getting physical releases.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Any leads on what tomorrow's game will be? Fingers crossed for SamSho V Special, but I think they'll probably make that the last ACA release as a nod to it having been the last officially released Neo-Geo game.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
What would you guys say is the best Neo-Geo shoot em up game available on xbox one? I am in the mood for something, but I don't know much about them. Vertical or horizontal scrolling, either is fine.

Found out recently that NAM-1975 is drastically easier for me (if easy can ever be used for any part of this game) to play with an arcade stick, rather than a controller.
Mostly has to do with being able to hold the run/dodge button, while also having equal access to the shoot/grenade button.

Still got wrecked by the end of the second level, though.

However, this discovery has taken the game from 'meh' to 'yea' for me.
Thought I'd share in case others out there have been flummoxed by this beast of a game and happen to have an arcade stick close by.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
Found out recently that NAM-1975 is drastically easier for me (if easy can ever be used for any part of this game) to play with an arcade stick, rather than a controller.
Mostly has to do with being able to hold the run/dodge button, while also having equal access to the shoot/grenade button.

Still got wrecked by the end of the second level, though.

However, this discovery has taken the game from 'meh' to 'yea' for me.
Thought I'd share in case others out there have been flummoxed by this beast of a game and happen to have an arcade stick close by.
Thanks, will try it soon with my Hori RAP.

Thanks, will try it soon with my Hori RAP.

My personal set up was setting the top three buttons as ABC - again the idea is to press and hold Run with the ring finger, allowing the middle and index instant access to the Fire/Weapon buttons.

Still brutally difficult, but the game took on a completely new feel, and is significantly more fun for me.

Hope that helps!

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
What would you guys say is the best Neo-Geo shoot em up game available on xbox one? I am in the mood for something, but I don't know much about them. Vertical or horizontal scrolling, either is fine.
Pulstar or Last Resort if you like R-Type like shmups.
Blazing Star for horizontal shmups
Striker 1945 Plus for vertical shumps.
Twinkle Star Sprites for a weird mix of shmups and VS puzzle game (it's like the shmups equivalent of puzzle games like Super Puzzle Fighter 2)

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Except the early NG library is filled with clones and knockoffs. Until 1997, most of the fighters on the system save for King of Fighters don't bother trying anything new with the genre, and the super early ones like Art of Fighting and World Heroes are shameless SF ripoffs, no exception. Fatal Fury and KOF at least changed up the gameplay style (FF1 with co-op fighting, and KOF with team battles) but the early years of NG fighters were really, really bad. I played a bunch of them through here and compilations in the past and I strongly prefer fighters made after 97 over the early age.
You may like or not AoF but it was by no mean a shameless SF2 ripoffs.
The game played more like 1 vs 1 beat 'em up than a SF2 clone and it introduced heaps of innovation (zoom in/zoom out camera, visible damage, spirit gauge, taunts, desperation move).
Art of Fighting (for the reasons cited above), Art of Fighting 3 (it's a 2D fighting game that play like a 3D fighting game), Fatal Fury (SNK series closest to SF2 if we exclude ADK series but it introduced the multi-lanes concept and 2 vs 1 bouts), World Heroes (for the Death Match mode), Aggressor of the Dark Kombat (it's more like a 1 VS 1 beat 'em up where you can move freely in all directions), Samurai Shodown (weapon based fighting game), King of Fighters (team play), Kizuna Encounter (tag team) all introduced their own innovation to the genre.

You are correct when you said that SNK released a lot of clones in popular genres in arcades especially early on in Neo Geo life however there is a difference between a bad game like Burning Fight and a game that could stand its own like Sengoku 2 (even if it isn't the best game in the genre).
Same for games like Magician Lord, Nam and Last Resort whose source of inspiration can be easily tracked back but overall are good games (though a bit of a coin muncher...).
Then there are games like Crossed Swords that isn't the best but it's original enough that it has its own fans who like it.

Last edited:

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
So I think I have enough for four Neo Geo ACA games on switch,

I am thinking Puzzle Bobble II / Money Puzzle Exchanger / Magical Drop game for the puzzle fix.

Shooters are covered above.

I was thinking one brawler like Sengoku 3? Is there a better one?

Then I am left debating on a fighting game or another brawler or like King of the Monsters 2.

Any one have thoughts? I am kind of tired of Metal Slug, and fighting games are hard because not everyone in my house will play them, but if you guys had to choose one from each genre what would you ultimately settle on.

So I think I have enough for four Neo Geo ACA games on switch,

I am thinking Puzzle Bobble II / Money Puzzle Exchanger / Magical Drop game for the puzzle fix.

Shooters are covered above.

I was thinking one brawler like Sengoku 3? Is there a better one?

Then I am left debating on a fighting game or another brawler or like King of the Monsters 2.

Any one have thoughts? I am kind of tired of Metal Slug, and fighting games are hard because not everyone in my house will play them, but if you guys had to choose one from each genre what would you ultimately settle on.

Based purely on what I've read, Money Idol Exchanger and Magical Drop are very close in gameplay. I can vouch for Magical Drop 3, it's tons of fun. It edges out the Puzzle Bobble series for me.

For a fighting game that's also fairly beginner friendly, Waku Waku 7 is great.

If you don't own it yet, Sengoku 3 is the best brawler on the NeoGeo Switch. I've heard good things about Ninja Combat, too.

You didn't ask for this suggestion, so apologies if this is repeat, but Zupapa is a fun Bubble Bobble-esque game that can be played by most anyone.