• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Every puzzle fan should consider purchasing Magical Drop III when that releases.

Yeah, but Samurai Shodown II is regarded as one of the best games in the series. So it wasn't all bad.

Still a Street Fighter Clone that isn't too impressive though. I got Samurai Shodown VI on the PS4 a while ago and despite having a ton of characters the gameplay was cookie cutter and really boring. I can't imagine a game with less characters being much better, outside of the fact that it would be a lot easier to get the hang of, but then you have just another fighting game. Newer is better in most cases when it comes to these basic games, and SSIV is already out on the Switch eShop. Though now that I mention that, it does make me sad we won't be likely to see Metal Slug 6 on the eShop since it's not a NG game despite it being the best in the series (of the first seven games I've played at least, don't know if the Pocket Color games are better or not)

I am really excited for Magical Drop III though. I loved the gameplay of II but the difficulty stonewalls very fast with the fourth stage and the cheap difficulty spike isn't really fun. I heard the third game is a LOT better in that regard so I hope it'll be addicting and better suited for the hi-score and Caravan mode. That and Sengoku 2 are good looking games I've wanted for years now. Now for SNK VS Capcom and the dream list will be complete!

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Fatal Fury 3, Magical Drop III, Sengoku 2 are in the next batch.

MD3 finally!

I've been waiting for Magical Drop III.

My particular reason even though the game was on Wii VC is to play with the Japanese region settings in-game on the ACA Neo Geo Switch release.

Reminder for those that don't know:

I prefer playing Magical Drop 2 and Magical Drop 3 in the Japanese region settings because it's the better version.

The Japanese versions of those games have individual voice acting for each character, has a story mode with endings, and there are more game modes in the Japanese versions of each game.

Point is, in the English versions of those games, the character voices are replaced with a couple of generic ones applied to all characters, all the story mode content is cut out, and even a game mode is cut out in each game.

This is a PSA to let people know that this is pretty important, you might not be able to read the text but the experience is much different.

Note: You do not need to download Magical Drop 2 or 3 from the Japanese Switch eShop to play with Japanese settings.

The ACA Neo Geo release allows you to choose between Japanese and English versions in-game. (But only for the original modes. The Hi Score mode* and Caravan mode** will default to whatever eShop region you downloaded the game from)

*Hi Score mode is not the original game, it is an option Hamster added to allow people to upload their scores online

**Caravan mode is not the original game, it is an option Hamster added to allow people to upload scores from playing a 5 minute time limit iirc.

[Had to do an FAQ so then people wouldn't ask what would probably be asked.]

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Magical Drop III is out today!

Oh man, I just realized how slow ACA Neo Geo releases are on North America PS Store. Why...

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
All the excitement for Magical Drop III is making me consider picking it up. Don't have a puzzle game on the Switch yet.

OP
OP

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
As mentioned by others, Magical Drop III releases on PS4, XB1, and Nintendo Switch this week.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Is Fatal Fury 3 worth getting, or should I just wait for RBFF/Special/2?

Depends on your focus - story-wise FF3 is an important game and spends more time with things like dialog and events before and after matches; gameplay-wise t's a bit of a bridge between FF Special and the Real Bout games, still using 4 attack buttons but already having a hint of the combo system the RB games would adopt.
Gameplay-wise th RB games are considered to be superior, and FF3 a bit of an oddity in comparison (I guess not unlike 96 for the KoFs, which bridged the more static system of the games up to 95 and the more aggressive and combo-focused approach that began with 97 and its Advanced system).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Is Fatal Fury 3 worth getting, or should I just wait for RBFF/Special/2?
Fatal Fury 3's Engrish is fun at least.
Gameplay wise, it's a game where SNK tossed in a lot of mechanics that makes one wonder what they were trying to do with the game in the first place. Still any fighter can be played casually and despite how messy Fatal Fury 3 might be, one could still enjoy it. Just try not to think about the 'hidden' supers.

OP
OP

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Is it Puzzle Bobble, Pang or kind of like a combination?

And when do new games usually drop for Switch?

In North America, the Switch eShop usually updates around Noon EST.

This review from Nintendo Life does a good job of explaining Magical Drop III:

Somewhat reminiscent of Puzzle Bobble, the game challenges you to use your clown in order to grab up balloons that are falling from above and put together groups of three or more of them in a vertical row in order to rid the board of them. This can also set off chain reactions of like-coloured balloons that are adjacent to the balloons being popped as well. You can even quickly put together another group of balloons and create chains that can earn you big points.

Deleted member 19274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The menus for the high score and caravan modes are terrible. It pops up way too quickly. I just got the 4th score in Metal Slug X caravan, and pressed b to jump when the menu came up so it didn't register my score. Its not the first time I've done it either.

That's great. I wonder if they would go back and add it to previously released games.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Does Real Bout Special have Geese playable, or is it just NPC Boss Nightmare Geese?

You can unlock him on the console versions or with a modded neo geo MVS

Man, I bought Waku Waku 7....that game is fucking awesome. How are the Sengoku games?

The first 2 sengoku are ok to maybe great games, the third one is an underrated game that no one knows since SNK released it on their deathbed. Is a cool beat em up where you can pull some cool combos.

Last edited:

Scarlet Death

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I remember enjoying AoF3 when I got it on a PS2 collection, but there's just something about the Switch control scheme that makes everything feel less fluid. Still having lots of fun with Waku Waku 7 and KoF2000. Secretly hoping that Twinkle Star Sprites will make an appearance eventually

buxtoc

Oct 29, 2017
UK

That's great. I wonder if they would go back and add it to previously released games.

Metal Slug 3 has now been updated to add video capture so I have hopes that others will receive updates too. Although non of the games I have that I've tested have been updated yet.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
What are the chances of seeing these games be released in physical collections at some point? I feel like the good work of Hamster deserves to be preserved!

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
What are the chances of seeing these games be released in physical collections at some point? I feel like the good work of Hamster deserves to be preserved!

Next to impossible and if so it would be a waste of money. DARIUS is the only game that got a physical release but it was insanely expensive to the point it's not even worth it

Deleted member 19274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metal Slug 3 has now been updated to add video capture so I have hopes that others will receive updates too. Although non of the games I have that I've tested have been updated yet.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks! I checked and Metal Slug 3 is the only one I have that supports it.

Now that I think of it, I was playing Metal Slug 3 a few days ago and noticed the menus were a bit sluggish. I'm guessing its because of the added video capture.

levious

Oct 26, 2017
Blazing Star or Pulstar, which one is better?

I like both, but would choose pulstar.

Pulsar seems more focused, pickups are strictly for weapons, blazing star has some extra point bonus pickups. Blazing Star also feels like it powers you up quicker. Dying midlevel never makes you feel like you are stuff in a tough section at base power like in a game a gradius for example.

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
The GOTY all years Puyo Puyo Tetris is on this system and you don't have it?? Shame on you. Shame.
I know, I know. I've been meaning to grab it for a long time, but there's always a new eShop game that piques my interest each week. Will get it soon because my puyopuyo itch needs to be taken care of.

(I still need Last Blade II)

superpretend

Oct 26, 2017
Any chance of Puzzle Bobble being ported, or is that something I gotta wait for Taito/Square to port/reboot by themselves?

mao2

Oct 28, 2017

This week's titles are Sengoku 2 for Switch and Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad for PS4/XBO.

Also, Hamster will be hosting a special live stream on Niconico Live to thank fans for achieving 1 million ACA Neo Geo downloads. There will be announcements of future titles during the show, and it begins on March 3, 5pm JST.
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv311034887

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
yVLAwvJ.jpg

These titles were just announced during Hamster's live stream.

PS4/XBO
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers
  • Aero Fighters 3
  • Waku Waku 7
  • Sengoku 3
  • KOF'99
  • Ghost Pilot
  • Gururin
  • Stakes Winner
  • Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa's Revenge

Switch
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury
  • Aero Fighters 3
  • World Heroes 2 Jet
  • Sengoku 3
  • Samurai Shodown III
  • Ghost Pilot
  • Gururin
  • Stakes Winner
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
TQBM3Vr.jpg

Additionally, SNK's older arcade games (before Neo Geo) will be appearing on Arcade Archives.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Wow at gururin coming. What a fantastic surprise.

Aldo Ghost Pilot will be mine. Underrated as frick

X Wi77iaM X

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
classic arcade games without mp online?

WTF... samurai shodown II xbla had for example... and now only local... shamefull