• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone ever have an issue on Switch where there might be a bit of a hang after selecting the user on the main menu of a game? I was playing the game undocked the other day and it was hanging there for a while, eventually giving me an OS "An Error Has Occurred" message but then started the game normally. I was having some spotty wi-fi at the time, is there some internet check happening there?

OP
OP

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Next batch of ACA Neo Geo games announced for Switch.

King of Fighters '97
Prehistoric Isle 2
Metal Slug 4
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Crossed Swords
Football Frenzy

Source: via @japanese3ds

dodob19

May 3, 2018
Does anyone ever have an issue on Switch where there might be a bit of a hang after selecting the user on the main menu of a game? I was playing the game undocked the other day and it was hanging there for a while, eventually giving me an OS "An Error Has Occurred" message but then started the game normally. I was having some spotty wi-fi at the time, is there some internet check happening there?
Yes, it's trying to connect to the Internet. In newer releases, the menu flashes a "CONNECTING..." on the lower right corner.

I hate that it connects. I hate everything about the initial menu and its UI (press + to start, then press A to select user -- pressing A does not start, and pressing + at select user creates new user).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Good batch upcoming, I'll grab Real Bout 2, Prehistoric Isle 2 and Metal Slug 4.

Hamster's probably going to run out of NeoGeo games by the end of 2018 or early 2019. They should start doing NGPC Archives next year to follow up.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's trying to connect to the Internet. In newer releases, the menu flashes a "CONNECTING..." on the lower right corner.

I hate that it connects. I hate everything about the initial menu and its UI (press + to start, then press A to select user -- pressing A does not start, and pressing + at select user creates new user).
For sure! I always end up pressing A at first anyway, why not have it select? Why even have a user select screen if my Switch only has one user?! A small gripe for otherwise quality releases, but it would be a nice QOL change.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Next batch of ACA Neo Geo games announced for Switch.

King of Fighters '97
Prehistoric Isle 2
Metal Slug 4
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Crossed Swords
Football Frenzy

Source: via @japanese3ds
LoXj3yr.jpg

Here's the complete list taken from 5ch. PS4/XBO will be getting Art of Fighting 3 (instead of KOF'97) and Garou: Mark of the Wolves (instead of RBFF2) alongside the rest.

Last edited:

dodob19

May 3, 2018
DotEmu announced Windjammers for Switch.
https://twitter.com/Dotemu/status/1025949468548624384

Reviews for DotEmu's emulated releases are generally pretty awful, with the exception of Windjammers, but that might be due to the gameplay more than emulation quality.

I guess this means I shouldn't hold my breath for Samurai Shodown V Special to be released under ACA NEOGEO.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Hamster has the Data East license as well, so it's possible for them to release a plain Windjammers ACA Neo Geo game along side the DotEmu release. Same with SSVS.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Do these games never go on sale? I just searched PSPrices to see if the ACA Metal Slug games ever went down in price, but they've been full price since launch.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Do these games never go on sale? I just searched PSPrices to see if the ACA Metal Slug games ever went down in price, but they've been full price since launch.
A number of older titles are currently on sale (40% off) on JP and NA PS Store until September 12. Not sure about other regions though.

JP PS Store
https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/grid/PN.CH.JP-PN.CH.MIXED.JP-CATEGORY00003160/1

The NA PS Store doesn't have dedicated page so I'll just put a few titles here but you can search for "ACA NEOGEO" or see which games are discounted in the link above.
Metal Slug https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0571-CUSA06805_00-HAMPRDC000000001
KOF'04 https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0571-CUSA06806_00-HAMPRDC000000001
Fatal Fury 2 https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0571-CUSA08657_00-HAMPRDC000000001

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
DotEmu announced Windjammers for Switch.
https://twitter.com/Dotemu/status/1025949468548624384

Reviews for DotEmu's emulated releases are generally pretty awful, with the exception of Windjammers, but that might be due to the gameplay more than emulation quality.

I guess this means I shouldn't hold my breath for Samurai Shodown V Special to be released under ACA NEOGEO.
It doesn't mean anything for SS5S, Dotemu had nothing to do with that and Hamster's rereleased other games like Garou or Metal Slug 3 that already saw premium releases on PS4.

Hamster has the Data East license as well, so it's possible for them to release a plain Windjammers ACA Neo Geo game along side the DotEmu release. Same with SSVS.
Different Data East license. Hamster works with Gmode but Windjammers is owned by Paon.

Quick and dirty who owns what from Data East.

Paon: Windjammers, Karnov, Atomic Runner Chelnov, Glory of Heracles, Vapor Trail trilogy

Arc System Works: Jake Hunter

Kadokawa Shoten: Metal Max

D4 Enterprise: Robocop

Gmode: almost everything else

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Bought Ninja Commando due to being one of the few NeoGeo games I actually really like. Very disappointed to see it's spontaneously deleting both my in-game high scores and getting the Japanese/american online scores glitched in that they're both the same leaderboard for whatever reason. Also had a lost score on Caravan after playing it, submitting it, exiting, returning to go again only to see me nowhere in sight on the leaderboard.

Same thing happened with Zed Blade a year ago too. Am I the only one who has this frustrating issue?

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Is there any chance of Breakers Revenge, Kabuki Klash, Gowcaizer or Double Dragon?

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Someone remind me which of the Neo Geo fighters allow you to retry against a boss with a certain amount taken off their health bar.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Someone remind me which of the Neo Geo fighters allow you to retry against a boss with a certain amount taken off their health bar.
Hm. The only ones that come to mind for me are the two Last Blade games and Garou: Mark of the Wolves. There are probably others, but those are the only ones I can think of right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Hey guys, I saw Samurai Shodown V was available on Xbox Live, and I was wondering if it had to English translation that was done for the OG Xbox release of the game. Does anyone know?

Also, does the SSV Upgrade Version Whatever It's Called got the same story mode? I've never played that version.

I seem to remember that from KoF2000 onwards... I could be wrong.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Next batch of ACA Neo Geo titles for PS4/XBO/NSW.
http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/14117
  • Puzzle Bobble
  • Puzzle Bobble 2
  • The King of Fighters 2001
  • Zupapa!
  • 3 Count Bout
  • Pleasure Goal: 5on5 Street Soccer
  • Savage Reign
  • Strikers 1945 Plus
Additionally, these pre-Neo Geo titles will be joining the Arcade Archives lineup for PS4/NSW.
http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/14123
  • Alpha Mission
  • Athena
  • Ikari Warriors
Arcade Archives Donkey Kong JR. is also coming to Switch.
EDIT: Oops! Neo-Geo games only in this thread. Sorry!

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Arcade Archives Donkey Kong JR. is also coming to Switch.
EDIT: Oops! Neo-Geo games only in this thread. Sorry!
Here's the full list of the upcoming Arcade Archives titles. Since this is a ACA Neo Geo thread, I excluded the non-SNK ones.
  • Alpha Mission [PS4/NSW]
  • Ninja-Kid [NSW]
  • Route-16 [PS4/NSW]
  • Urban Champion [NSW]
  • Athena [PS4/NSW]
  • Ikari Warriors [PS4/NSW]
  • Donkey Kong Jr. [NSW]
  • Image Fight [PS4/NSW]

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how these will compare with the SNK collection I'm planning on picking up.

Athena, Ikari, etc.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I'm more excited for the collection but I'm also excited since the games not included in the collection that aren't lost will likely be released as ACA games. It's a win-win for everyone and we may get even more of an SNK lineup on our Switches.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how these will compare with the SNK collection I'm planning on picking up.

Athena, Ikari, etc.
Yeah, I have the SNK Collection pre-ordered. I wonder about that as well...
They shouldn't be any different from the other Arcade Archives releases. Unless SNK 40th Anniversary Collection has serious performance issues, it's definitely the better option IMO. Heck, if you still own a PS3, PSV or PSP, it's a lot cheaper to buy the PlayStation minis ports as they're only $2.99 each (ACA titles are $7.99 each).

Alpha Mission
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0576-NPUZ00133_00-ALPHAMISSION0001
Athena
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0576-NPUZ00151_00-ATHENA0000000001
Ikari Warriors
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0576-NPUZ00159_00-IKARIWARRIORS001

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Unless in Digital Eclipse they have vastly improved their technical skills and emulation frontend, all of their releases suffer from two major problems.

The first one, an unplayable input lag.

The second one, a sub-par scanlines filter that feels like the primitive use of scanlines seen in early emulators through the use of a transparent grid image, instead of the current advanced shaders that we have in releases like the Arcade Archives series of Hamster.

So taking into account that Digital Eclipse is involved in this 'SNK 40th Anniversary Collection', if they fail once again in creating emulated games with manageable input lags, these Hamster SNK ports are the way to go.

All of that said, I don't like to be the guy judging the work of a company before a release: they still have the benefit of doubt on my part.

If they don't fuck off the input lag, I will jump into this SNK collection. If not, I will completely pass, waiting for each shmup release to eventually come into the Hamster collection. I prefer to pay the double of money, and having good versions of these games.

dodob19

May 3, 2018
Unless in Digital Eclipse they have vastly improved their technical skills and emulation frontend, all of their releases suffer from two major problems.

The first one, an unplayable input lag.

The second one, a sub-par scanlines filter that feels like the primitive use of scanlines seen in early emulators through the use of a transparent grid image, instead of the current advanced shaders that we have in releases like the Arcade Archives series of Hamster.

So taking into account that Digital Eclipse is involved in this 'SNK 40th Anniversary Collection', if they fail once again in creating emulated games with manageable input lags, these Hamster SNK ports are the way to go.

All of that said, I don't like to be the guy judging the work of a company before a release: they still have the benefit of doubt on my part.

If they don't fuck off the input lag, I will jump into this SNK collection. If not, I will completely pass, waiting for each shmup release to eventually come into the Hamster collection. I prefer to pay the double of money, and having good versions of these games.
I thought the TV and Arcade filters in SF30th were pretty awesome. Way better than the scanlines found in ACA NEOGEO.

The Megaman X scanlines, on the other hand, were atrocious.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
The SF30 collection was fine offline. No real input lag to speak of and I actually found the filters real neat after getting to play an IRL Champion Edition Cabinet. MMLC isn't bad either and the turbo mode does induce some lag but not enough to really be a bother. (easily adaptable) Unfortunately, it has a nasty audio desync bug if you suspend or home menu a lot while playing it, but for me it took 15+ tries to get that to trigger. Still a stupid bug though and unfortunate that Capcom dropped support for all versions of the game.

dodob19

May 3, 2018
IIRC, MMLC was developed by a different team than MMXLC.
The NES, Playstation emulation in these games is fine (in fact the PS emulation for MMX4+ is pretty great). The problem is with SNES emulation in MMX1-3. The input lag is really bad and the scanlines aren't great.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish than hamster would release more of their games in PS4, I have been waiting for Art of Fighting 3 a long time.

Also, I don't know why they would release Garou on the PS4 while the console already have it, while RB2 is only avaliable on the terrible ps2 to ps4 collection

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
IIRC, MMLC was developed by a different team than MMXLC.
The NES, Playstation emulation in these games is fine (in fact the PS emulation for MMX4+ is pretty great). The problem is with SNES emulation in MMX1-3. The input lag is really bad and the scanlines aren't great.
Only the NES and SNES games are emulated in the various MM collections. All the PS1, PS2 and Wii games are actually ported natively.

NewAgeOfAces

Dec 5, 2017
I wish than hamster would release more of their games in PS4, I have been waiting for Art of Fighting 3 a long time.

Also, I don't know why they would release Garou on the PS4 while the console already have it, while RB2 is only avaliable on the terrible ps2 to ps4 collection

Create a Japanese PSN account. I've had The ACA AOF 3 since it's release a few months back as well as Blazing Star, RB2, MOTW, Aggressors of Dark Kombat etc. I have no idea what happened with the western psn releases with hamster but they are still releasing on Switch and Xbox stores... Weird

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Create a Japanese PSN account. I've had The ACA AOF 3 since it's release a few months back as well as Blazing Star, RB2, MOTW, Aggressors of Dark Kombat etc. I have no idea what happened with the western psn releases with hamster but they are still releasing on Switch and Xbox stores... Weird

Does an HK acount work?

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Any reason this thread has faded into obscurity? I've seen several threads pop up related to ACA Neo-Geo releases in the last few months with nary a peep in here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
How modern are these going to go? I think I am giving up on KoF 13 getting backward compat, and perhaps this will be my only hope.
That's a no-go. These only cover games for the Neo-Geo arcade/console. KOF 12 and 13 were designed for PS3-era hardware, which is a far cry from what the ACA series aims to offer via simple emulation.