• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
So I think I have enough for four Neo Geo ACA games on switch,

I am thinking Puzzle Bobble II / Money Puzzle Exchanger / Magical Drop game for the puzzle fix.

Shooters are covered above.

I was thinking one brawler like Sengoku 3? Is there a better one?

Then I am left debating on a fighting game or another brawler or like King of the Monsters 2.

Any one have thoughts? I am kind of tired of Metal Slug, and fighting games are hard because not everyone in my house will play them, but if you guys had to choose one from each genre what would you ultimately settle on.
Many consider Sengoku 3 as the best beat'em up on Neo Geo, IMO they are wrong wrong :-P
Sengoku 3 is heavily based on combos (prepare to do a lot of them on a lot of cannon fodder) so the aniamtion are quite smoother than other old Neo Geo beat'em up.
If you like combos go for it.
Instead in Sengoku 2 you quickly cut down enemies (and the sense of impact is more satisfying), you have a parry and there is in place a transformation system which let you change your character in other forms (a tengu warrior, a holy wolf, a ninja and so on) which gives variety.
Sengoku 2 is overall much more memorable than Sengoku 3 IMO.
More over the game from 1992 has better graphics (except stiffer animations) and music than the game from 2001.

If you want a good alternative to Metal Slug, check out Shock Troopers (the first one) it's a good run'n gun similar to MERCS and Ikari Warrior.

As for exploring other less tackled genres, maybe the arcade platfomer genre is for you since it was a quite rare breed in arcades and Neo Geo has a few representatives (sorted for what I consider the best and the worse):

Magician Lord is a trial'n run game (think Ghost'n Goblins) where you need to learn how to tackle the levels otherwise is quite hard.
It's a bit on the "coin muncher" side in level design but it's a great game IMO with great graphics (it was released in 1990) and stunning musics.
It's single player only though.

Spin Master is a game by Data East, very colorful cartoony graphics though forgettable music.
It's on the easy side and overall it's a simple game but thanks to good level design (every stage has a gimmick), solid controls and short length it has a high playability coefficient.
You can play it in coop (two players) and thanks to the low difficulty and solid gameplay it's ideal to play (and replay) with other less expert people.

Treasure Hunter is a mix between side scrolling beat'em up, fighting game (you can execute the same moves from Fatl Fury and there is a dual lanes design like FF) and platform game.
Being more like a sidescrolling beat'em up with addeded fighing game and platfomr game elements it may become repetitive after a while if you play it single player, two players session is recommended.
It has some of the most beautiful 2D view on Neo Geo and catchy musics.

Blue's Journey is a game very dear to me (I played it a lot when I was younger).
It's the most close to platform games on consoles of the set which is quite an oddity (the platform games for arcade games had jumping elements but were more focused on action).
It's a nice little game whose biggest strengths are the charming atmosphere and the variety/exploration within the stages where you can find shops, mini games, alterative paths (there are always two path for each stages).
It is by no mean a mastepiece instead it's a nice little game (though I always felt the jump physics to be off).

Based purely on what I've read, Money Idol Exchanger and Magical Drop are very close in gameplay. I can vouch for Magical Drop 3, it's tons of fun. It edges out the Puzzle Bobble series for me.

For a fighting game that's also fairly beginner friendly, Waku Waku 7 is great.

If you don't own it yet, Sengoku 3 is the best brawler on the NeoGeo Switch. I've heard good things about Ninja Combat, too.

You didn't ask for this suggestion, so apologies if this is repeat, but Zupapa is a fun Bubble Bobble-esque game that can be played by most anyone.
You heard good things about Ninja Combat? that's a new to me :-)
Ninja Commando on the other hand is a good vertical scrolling action/shooting game.

Zupapa is indeed a nice Bubble Bobble clone (though it pale compared to the King).

Another odd game (comapred the offerings in the arcades) is Crossed Sword: it's basically Punch out in a fantasy setting with RPG elements (you earn exp, money to buy new stronger weapons in shops, sometime you can choose how to tackle a mission and there is a feeble narrative).
It can become repetitive but it's quite original game.

Last edited:

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Based purely on what I've read, Money Idol Exchanger and Magical Drop are very close in gameplay. I can vouch for Magical Drop 3, it's tons of fun. It edges out the Puzzle Bobble series for me.

If you don't own it yet, Sengoku 3 is the best brawler on the NeoGeo Switch. I've heard good things about Ninja Combat, too.

You didn't ask for this suggestion, so apologies if this is repeat, but Zupapa is a fun Bubble Bobble-esque game that can be played by most anyone.

Many consider Sengoku 3 as the best beat'em up on Neo Geo, IMO they are wrong wrong :-P
Sengoku 3 is heavily based on combos (prepare to do a lot of them on a lot of cannon fodder) so the aniamtion are quite smoother than other old Neo Geo beat'em up.
If you like combos go for it.
Instead in Sengoku 2 you quickly cut down enemies (and the sense of impact is more satisfying), you have a parry and there is in place a transformation system which let you change your character in other forms (a tengu warrior, a holy wolf, a ninja and so on) which gives variety.
Sengoku 2 is overall much more memorable than Sengoku 3 IMO.
More over the game from 1992 has better graphics (except stiffer animations) and music than the game from 2001.

If you want a good alternative to Metal Slug, check out Shock Troopers (the first one) it's a good run'n gun similar to MERCS and Ikari Warrior.

As for exploring other less tackled genres, maybe the arcade platfomer genre is for you since it was a quite rare breed in arcades and Neo Geo has a few representatives (sorted for what I consider the best and the worse):

Magician Lord is a trial'n run game (think Ghost'n Goblins) where you need to learn how to tackle the levels otherwise is quite hard.
It's a bit on the "coin muncher" side in level design but it's a great game IMO with great graphics (it was released in 1990) and stunning musics.
It's single player only though.

Spin Master is a game by Data East, very colorful cartoony graphics though forgettable music.
It's on the easy side and overall it's a simple game but thanks to good level design (every stage has a gimmick), solid controls and short length it has a high playability coefficient.
You can play it in coop (two players) and thanks to the low difficulty and solid gameplay it's ideal to play (and replay) with other less expert people.

Treasure Hunter is a mix between side scrolling beat'em up, fighting game (you can execute the same moves from Fatl Fury and there is a dual lanes design like FF) and platform game.
Being more like a sidescrolling beat'em up with addeded fighing game and platfomr game elements it may become repetitive after a while if you play it single player, two players session is recommended.
It has some of the most beautiful 2D view on Neo Geo and catchy musics.

Blue's Journey is a game very dear to me (I played it a lot when I was younger).
It's the most close to platform games on consoles of the set which is quite an oddity (the platform games for arcade games had jumping elements but were more focused on action).
It's a nice little game whose biggest strengths are the charming atmosphere and the variety/exploration within the stages where you can find shops, mini games, alterative paths (there are always two path for each stages).
It is by no mean a mastepiece instead it's a nice little game (though I always felt the jump physics to be off).

Thank you both. We have Shock Troopers, which we like, so I was looking at NAM 75 I know it is different, but I think we'd play it. I also have Neo Turf Masters, Sam Sho 4, but my wife doesn't quite like Fighting games, and Last Blade 2, both of which I enjoy but I only play true fighting games sparingly.

I guess I have to get Sengoku 2 & 3 ;-D They both sound like solid games for different reasons.

I honestly never thought of Magician Lord, I just thought it was one of their earlier tough as nails games.

I appreciate you mentioning the co-op aspect because that is the intention, play all of these co-op on arcade sticks, so it looks like I have some games to check out!

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Magician Lord is tough and there are points were you can clearly guess ADK was trolling the player (to get more coins out of him) but in a similar fashion as Ghouls 'n Ghosts the game revolve around the idea that the player explore the stages (while losing lives) to learn how to tackle them in the most effective way.

Yeah, Celine is right on with that description. I personally am not a huge fan of Magician Lord, as the arcade difficulty is in full effect here. It's still fun, just a bit too difficult for me to enjoy it.

Spin Master is a much more bright and cheerful platformer, kind of a button masher, but I slightly prefer it to Magician Lord - which might be heresy in NeoGeo circles, I'm not sure.

And, as I mentioned above, NAM-1975 is brutally difficult, and I found it to be more difficult using a control pad, rather than an arcade stick.

Zupapa has excellent co-op ;)

Ha, and I did indeed hear good things about Ninja Combat! Namely that it's a solid 7/10 game, but again, I haven't actually played it to find out...
Edit: ok, I think it was Ninja Commando instead, haha! Thanks for saving me a purchase on that!

Last edited:

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Is Zupapa anything like Parasol Stars? Cause it sure as heck looks like it is related

Yeah we will use sticks for Nam too. I wish we could get some switch ACA sales like PS4 and Xbox seem to get. We had one a couple months back but it feels like forever.

Also my local Gamestop has a Neo-geo Mini International in stock for like $100, has the consensus on these come around? The game lineup is so fighter heavy and I remember hearing they were going to make another version too.

Is Zupapa anything like Parasol Stars? Cause it sure as heck looks like it is related

Eh...yes, I'd say it's fairly similar.

Just to get it out of the way, Parasol Stars is probably the superior game here.
But! Zupapa also has a few unique mechanics that are better than Parasol Stars.

The main difference is that in Zupapa you always need to gather your "ammo", which in this case are 4 little characters that begin scattered around the screen.
The more characters you have, the bigger the explosion (a ring of stars) that wipes out all enemies unfortunate enough to get caught in the radius. If you have all four, you can cover about 25% (edit: actually, about 40-50%!) of the screen in sparkly death with one hit.
Second, you need to retrieve your projectiles (characters) after you've thrown them, so that adds in more strategy to the game.

The ammo and enemy stun aspects of both games are fairly similar.

That said, the level design and music in Parasol Stars is better, and I prefer the art and character design in Parasol Stars, as well, though Zupapa has some wonderful art direction that make the game look quite nice.

There's enough charm to Zupapa! for a fun 15-30 minute play every now and again, along with a different set of strategies that make it worth a purchase.

And I would give the co-op play advantage to Zupapa!, due to the strategic use of limited ammo and single-screen gameplay.

Last edited:

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
What's up with the lack of Arcade Archives releases on PS4 in Europe? The last one was released in late June 2018...

Sony won't approve them. That's why some games like Heroic Episode took a long ass time to come out in the US. I don't know why they're dumb on this matter, but the approval process sets everything back while XB/Switch has a much better time

krg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit confused here, is it worth getting the ACA King of Fighters 97' version on PS4/Windows or should I go with Global Match?

Dec 13, 2018
So I got the let's start a project bug to build an arcade cabinet, but I'd figure I'd curve that desire by playing ACA NeoGeo ports. Started with MS3, and maybe i'm not remembering things properly, but I don't remember the frame rate constantly dropping to like 10fps in high action.

(PS4 pro , was playing coop with my daughter)

I mean , it felt sluggish , controls too

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
So I got the let's start a project bug to build an arcade cabinet, but I'd figure I'd curve that desire by playing ACA NeoGeo ports. Started with MS3, and maybe i'm not remembering things properly, but I don't remember the frame rate constantly dropping to like 10fps in high action.

(PS4 pro , was playing coop with my daughter)

I mean , it felt sluggish , controls too

That's literally what they've always done in intense action. MS2 was the worst offender. That's kinda why I like Metal Slug 6 the best since the levels are better designed and it doesn't slow down as much, but that's not a NG game sadly (it was on better hardware) Shock Troopers Second Squad does it too and I still love that game.

Dec 13, 2018
That's literally what they've always done in intense action. MS2 was the worst offender. That's kinda why I like Metal Slug 6 the best since the levels are better designed and it doesn't slow down as much, but that's not a NG game sadly (it was on better hardware) Shock Troopers Second Squad does it too and I still love that game.
It's amazing, I'm not really that sensitive to framerate usually. I mean , I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the ACA ports before I bought all of the metal gears they sell. I've played the shit out of all of them. Just had forgotten I guess.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm a bit confused here, is it worth getting the ACA King of Fighters 97' version on PS4/Windows or should I go with Global Match?

KOF97GM on Steam has online with rollback. Works great.

SNK solved the issue in Metal Slug 6 making the game run in Atomiswave (pretty much Dreamcast hardware)

krg

Oct 27, 2017
what's weird is that the Windows 10 version is actually Samurai Shodown V (not Special).

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
So I was looking for a Neo Geo Mini OT and I guess this is the closest I could get to one. I am hankering for one now but not sure which version to get. Or should I just get the shell I want and mod it? Anyone have any opinions or can point me to a proper OT? I wanted to make my Switch my offbrand NeoGeo Mini but Hamster rarely ever putting ACA on sale there has hampered that a lot

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
So I was looking for a Neo Geo Mini OT and I guess this is the closest I could get to one. I am hankering for one now but not sure which version to get. Or should I just get the shell I want and mod it? Anyone have any opinions or can point me to a proper OT? I wanted to make my Switch my offbrand NeoGeo Mini but Hamster rarely ever putting ACA on sale there has hampered that a lot
Amazon had it on sale yesterday so I got the US one.

Neither Mini looks like the Big Red arcade machines we got in the US so the shell was pretty much a palms up shrug for me. There are good games on both units that are missing on the other one. Modding is probably best if you want to use it to play all the Neo games. I plan to just plop it down here at work for people to mess with for awhile (including me).

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon had it on sale yesterday so I got the US one.

Neither Mini looks like the Big Red arcade machines we got in the US so the shell was pretty much a palms up shrug for me. There are good games on both units that are missing on the other one. Modding is probably best if you want to use it to play all the Neo games. I plan to just plop it down here at work for people to mess with for awhile (including me).
Which version did you get and how much? I am seeing it for like $89 to $140 depending on config.

The Sam Sho limited editions look cool but unnecessary for me

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
They had a Lightning Deal yesterday on Amazon for $64 for the US version including two controllers. It was a historical low for the device. They later had the JPN version for about $87 including two controllers. I know there was going to be another LD for just the systems at 6 yesterday but I didn't get to see what those were priced at.

Mine will be here tomorrow so I can give a hands on.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
nice grab

Damn I was even watching for deals but got super busy yesterday. I would have bought at that price easily. Oh well not like I need it, just want it

Looking forward to your impressions

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The bump makes me sad. Was thinking maybe Hamster started up ACA Neo with some fresh licensing. :(

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
nice grab

Damn I was even watching for deals but got super busy yesterday. I would have bought at that price easily. Oh well not like I need it, just want it

Looking forward to your impressions
If you use Twitter, I highly recommend following both Cheap Ass Gamer and Wario64, unless you want to save your gaming budget for other things. LOL!

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
If you use Twitter, I highly recommend following both Cheap Ass Gamer and Wario64, unless you want to save your gaming budget for other things. LOL!
Yeah I used to a lot. I am a regular on CAG so I should have caught it, but just too busy yesterday doing stuff. In fact I noticed my CAG habits were causing me to spend more money on 'deals' so I am trying to cut back

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Ha! Yeah, I've been much better about that lately, but Neo Geo deals always make me twitchy...

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They had a Lightning Deal yesterday on Amazon for $64 for the US version including two controllers. It was a historical low for the device. They later had the JPN version for about $87 including two controllers. I know there was going to be another LD for just the systems at 6 yesterday but I didn't get to see what those were priced at.

Mine will be here tomorrow so I can give a hands on.
It was $76 or so for the system. Not including the cable or controllers. Hours later it had 0% claimed, so don't think anyone bought it.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Hunh... compared to the other deal, that wasn't nearly as good, but still not too bad. I guess seeing it so much cheaper with more stuff earlier in the day really put the kibosh on that deal.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
IIRC, wasn't the reason the NG mini was badly received was because the emulation wasn't good? Or at least, not good compared to other emulated versions?

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
IIRC, wasn't the reason the NG mini was badly received was because the emulation wasn't good? Or at least, not good compared to other emulated versions?

The NG mini had sold over 500,000 units before Christmas season, it was a success.
A very vocal minority of reviewers complained that the video output wasnt sharp enough when using HDMI output.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah on TV it doesn't look to great. The built in display is nice looking though.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Since the stick isn't that great and the TV output isn't either, I'll get one if they get any cheaper.
The tv out being bad wasn't too terrible a thing because the pads also weren't good either. Think it was forced bilinear filtering or somesuch. Mine has mostly been a desktop decoration/kid entertainer/something to distract me during work downtime. The games I really like on there I mostly play the hamster versions.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
The tv out being bad wasn't too terrible a thing because the pads also weren't good either. Think it was forced bilinear filtering or somesuch. Mine has mostly been a desktop decoration/kid entertainer/something to distract me during work downtime. The games I really like on there I mostly play the hamster versions.
I think I would have been fine with it being a portable only but the lack of a battery kinda breaks that. When I get one, it's probably going to be decor as well.