• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NyxKiria

Self-Requested Permanent Ban
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
ACA Punch-Out coming next week in Japan

March 30th

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So, I updated the OP's chart a tiny bit. Feel free to let me know if there are any errors or mistakes. I plan to update the rest of the OP later today.

I do want to address one thing: sometimes Hamster will claim that a game has been released on PS4/XB1, but it's only available in Japan. A recent example is Waku Waku 7 on PS4.

acaneogeo3-24-18ulrdh.jpg

Thanks Snake Eater!

mao2

Oct 28, 2017

Sengoku 3 is releasing today for all 3 platforms, I'm excited!

So, I updated the OP's chart a tiny bit. Feel free to let me know if there are any errors or mistakes. I plan to update the rest of the OP later today.

I do want to address one thing: sometimes Hamster will claim that a game has been released on PS4/XB1, but it's only available in Japan. A recent example is Waku Waku 7 on PS4.

acaneogeo3-24-18ulrdh.jpg
Thanks for the update! Sad to see so many PS4 titles missing because they're currently only available in Japan. :/

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
How does it compare to something like the Chronicles of Mystara? I've always preferred run 'n guns to beat 'em ups but I loved CoM.
Hm, that's a tough one. Sengoku 3 has probably the deepest combat mechanics of any 2D side-scrolling beat em' up of that era (except for maybe Guardian Heroes on the Saturn), but CoM has the RPG elements that give it a bit more depth than anything else in the genre. That's why Dragon's Crown was, in essence, a spiritual successor to CoM all those years later.

I think that you'll like Sengoku 3 if you liked CoM, however. They're both great.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
Bit annoyed how few Hamster releases there been for the PS4 in Europe lately. Not just NeoGeo (Blazing Star please!) but Arcade Archives too (been waiting for Bomb Jack so long).

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
The PS4 version is taking too long in EU, so I'll just go ahead and get Sengoku 3 on Switch.
Always wanted to play it.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Hm, that's a tough one. Sengoku 3 has probably the deepest combat mechanics of any 2D side-scrolling beat em' up of that era (except for maybe Guardian Heroes on the Saturn), but CoM has the RPG elements that give it a bit more depth than anything else in the genre. That's why Dragon's Crown was, in essence, a spiritual successor to CoM all those years later.

I think that you'll like Sengoku 3 if you liked CoM, however. They're both great.
Cool, thanks for your input. I'm gonna give it a shot.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
This little detail isn't talked about much, but I LOVE how games like these work so well with the XB1 store interface.

In most modern games, the videos posted at the bottom are all just spoilers. Which kinda sucks. Why do I want to see spoilers for something I'm looking to buy? Things haven't entered "common knowledge" yet, and most of what you see is comprised of people messing about.

But for Retro classics like these? The video section is not only a good place to get an overview of some of the gameplay, but also a WONDERFUL place to see people take advantage of the long-known, maybe rarely shares exploits, ridiculousness, and easter eggs of the games. It's actually kind of fun how people chronicle the broken tactics they use, or how they go out of their way to record the old rumors that were actually real.

It's just something I don't get on the PSN store at all. They show trailers and if there's a stream going on RIGHT NOW, but they don't really chronicle what's happened in the game, especially before purchasing. HAMSTER has actually started to release titles that I've never heard of, or focused on (Like Over TOP and ZED Blade), and it's great getting to see a one-stop section where I can learn about the game in question.

--------

Of course, this unfortunately doesn't mean I've purchased a bunch of them yet. Matter of fact, Sengoku 3 is my first ACA purchase on the X1. I have a few of the older releases on PS4, the non NEOGEO ones. And then the first line of retro-releases on XB1 all had horrible issues. But they've apparently patched away all of that, and it's not easily my preferred place to get and play these, due to the system-level bits of passive social interaction. I got my first copy of legit Sengoku 3 due to the Wii VC, but that was unfortunately such a deadzone of activity, with the death of Miiverse, especially.

The game really is a great, solid, gorgeous BEU, even though I wish it had a few more things (Like punching grappled enemies, or some type of OTG attacks). The dash attacks and special moves add a lot of flow to the game, that helps it feel more modern than many a retro-BEU you could buy. Heck, I'd say it feels better than a lot of modern releases, even.

I do appreciate the simplicity of Caravan and High Score mode in these games. They're not super in depth or anything, but they suggest the proper way these titles are suppose to be played, from an arcade gamer perspective. 5-Minute in between breaks gameplay sessions are some of the ways my portable systems used to get their most playtime, and Caravan makes a stack of recorded stats and scores that add just enough modern meaning to classic-style replay-ability. So I can imagine it working really well with Switch portability.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Sengoku 3 is probably the best scrolling beat-em-up on the Neo Geo. Though it's lacks a bit of personality, and the combat is a bit stiff feeling compared to something like AvP or even most of Capcom's other games.

Dec 3, 2017

Sengoku 3 and Guardian Heroes weren't from the same era. Guardian Heroes came out in 1996, and Sengoku 3 came out in 2001. It's pretty crazy when you think about it, but the Dreamcast was basically already dead by the time Sengoku 3 came out.

Dec 3, 2017
Sengoku 3 is probably the best scrolling beat-em-up on the Neo Geo. Though it's lacks a bit of personality, and the combat is a bit stiff feeling compared to something like AvP or even most of Capcom's other games.

Guardian Heroes and the CPS1/CPS2 brawlers are pretty much untouchable. Capcom was an absolute master of that genre. Sengoku 3 is okay, but it's got major problems such as low enemy variety and the stiff feeling you mention.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there an OT for the Code Mystics Neo Geo ports on PS4/Vita?

I just found out that King of Fighters 97 Global Match is a thing and it came out last tuesday.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So are they going to announce the next lineup of ACA releases after Real Bout Special drops on the 19th? Is that usually how it goes?

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
They skipped Ghost Pilots and the horse game so it won't be until May. Dunno why they didn't release those in order, those two are better than RBS anyhow

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Is there an OT for the Code Mystics Neo Geo ports on PS4/Vita?

I just found out that King of Fighters 97 Global Match is a thing and it came out last tuesday.
I don't think so. Anyway did you buy it? How does it play?

So are they going to announce the next lineup of ACA releases after Real Bout Special drops on the 19th? Is that usually how it goes?
Hamster and SNK will be announcing the next batch of ACA Neo Geo titles on April 26. Their live stream starts at 7pm JST.
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv312568069

Hopefully we'll get more third party titles such as Neo Bomberman, Kabuki Klash and Breakers Revenge.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
While it will be a weird release, giving that this never saw an arcade release, my dreamed game in this collection is 'Ironclad'.

Come on Hamster, you can rewrite the video game history creating an alternate timeline in which 'Ironclad' existed inside an arcade cabinet.

The Wii release doesn't look good in a LCD TV. I need this game with a nice CRT shader and scanlines.

Dec 2, 2017
Does anyone know how to access the debug mode in KoF 96 (or any of these)? Pretty sure that's what I need to use to access the bosses, but I cannot find it documented anywhere.
In the end nobody on the internet knew the answer to this, so I emailed Hamster directly. They responded pretty quickly (which I appreciated) and told me that the debug mode is inaccessible, and so are the boss characters. Something to consider for anyone looking at this version of the game, since I believe the Kyo/Iori/Chizuru ending is the 'true' one.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
In the end nobody on the internet knew the answer to this, so I emailed Hamster directly. They responded pretty quickly (which I appreciated) and told me that the debug mode is inaccessible, and so are the boss characters. Something to consider for anyone looking at this version of the game, since I believe the Kyo/Iori/Chizuru ending is the 'true' one.
Thanks for the info! It's really unfortunate that we're missing the extra stuff in home versions. :/

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
While it will be a weird release, giving that this never saw an arcade release, my dreamed game in this collection is 'Ironclad'.

Come on Hamster, you can rewrite the video game history creating an alternate timeline in which 'Ironclad' existed inside an arcade cabinet.

The Wii release doesn't look good in a LCD TV. I need this game with a nice CRT shader and scanlines.
Ironclad is also available on the Humble Store, if you're interested in PC gaming.

Strawhat_Do

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. Can I get their email. I would like to ask them a question.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can you unlock Ryo in Fatal Fury Special? like, beating the game, inputting the code once and then never need to do it again?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Will grab Real Bout Special today and Ghost Pilots next week. Eager to hear what the next round of games includes, fingers crossed for Baseball Stars 2, Twinkle Star Sprites, Money Idol Exchanger, Last Blade 2 and Iron Clad.

I also hope Hamster can still swing deals for NeoGeo games from Taito, Technos (ASW), Hudson (Konami) and Visco. I'd also like Sammy and Atlus but those are doubtful since they fall under Sega's purview.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bought Galaxy Fight, is a mediocre game but still have some fun with it. I wish than Waku 7 was released for ps4 on the west

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
This rings a bell from digging into the Saturn version a bunch at the time, but what was the intention for arcade players? Was the ending meant to be inaccessible?

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
This rings a bell from digging into the Saturn version a bunch at the time, but what was the intention for arcade players? Was the ending meant to be inaccessible?

Yes, the Chizuru and Goentiz endings are inaccesible for the arcade version. KOF96 has a lot of cut content, most of it was added to KOF97.