• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you unlock Ryo in Fatal Fury Special? like, beating the game, inputting the code once and then never need to do it again?
If you can so something in the arcade version, you can do it in these releases.
As for keeping something like that, just go into options and create a save state and you should be good.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bought Galaxy Fight, is a mediocre game but still have some fun with it. I wish than Waku 7 was released for ps4 on the west

The AI in Galaxy Fight is way too tough, the game is impossible for me. It is gorgeous though, I love the character designs and backgrounds.

Waku Waku is a much better game overall.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The AI in Galaxy Fight is way too tough, the game is impossible for me. It is gorgeous though, I love the character designs and backgrounds.

Waku Waku is a much better game overall.

I went with 1 cc to the boss and almost beat him there

I played with the dominatrix (juri was her name) once you learn the patterns you see that the AI is easily exploitable

The boss was dumb though

Dec 2, 2017
This rings a bell from digging into the Saturn version a bunch at the time, but what was the intention for arcade players? Was the ending meant to be inaccessible?
Goenitz wildly unbalances the game, but he & Chizuru were in there if an arcade operator wanted them to be. Unfortunately it involves toggling a bunch of physical dipswitches on the MVS board itself, which Hamster didn't build into the emulation.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I'm a terribly dumb person, and I didn't know that you can create save states in these Arcade Archives releases, and loading the same save data as many times as you want.

I finally deduced how this save system works, you need to return to the main selection menu with the different modes, instead of restarting the game.

So I can finally use this feature for training in my shmups the different levels and bosses.

And now I'm having a blast with 'Zed Blade', without being forced to repeat the three first easy levels again and again.

Such an amazing and gorgeous game, NMK were the PlatinunGames of the arcades in the 90s that nobody venerates because their games were rarely ported to home consoles.

Manabu Namiki was in a state of grace when he composed the soundtrack.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I'm a terribly dumb person, and I didn't know that you can create save states in these Arcade Archives releases, and loading the same save data as many times as you want.

I finally deduced how this save system works, you need to return to the main selection menu with the different modes, instead of restarting the game.

So I can finally use this feature for training in my shmups the different levels and bosses.

And now I'm having a blast with 'Zed Blade', without being forced to repeat the three first easy levels again and again.

Such an amazing and gorgeous game, NMK were the PlatinunGames of the arcades in the 90s that nobody venerates because their games were rarely ported to home consoles.

Manabu Namiki was in a state of grace when he composed the soundtrack.

They erase when it asks you to register a new high score for online leaderboards so be careful of that fact.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
They erase when it asks you to register a new high score for online leaderboards so be careful of that fact.

Oh, thanks for the tip!

But I'm trying to complete each level without losing a life and without using bombs, and only saving once the level is complete.

All of that said, I'm fucked up because I selected at the start of the game a combination of weapons that is not very effective for the level 4, so I will try with a more effective main weapon to destroy these fucking rock barriers without relying in my bombs.

All of that said, it's crazy that they permit to upload your scores after having used the save states. Now I start to understand some of the crazy scores in 'Star Force', and I feel more proud of my current rank in the leaderboards amongst all of these Japanese people who have been training in the game since the 80s :)

By the way, this save state feature will make of any shmup released by Hamster an instant purchase for me. I find this a nice compromise to have some fun without investing too much time in every game, and without eliminating the challenge.

Last edited:

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Oh, thanks for the tip!

But I'm trying to complete each level without losing a life and without using bombs, and only saving once the level is complete.

All of that said, I'm fucked up because I selected at the start of the game a combination of weapons that is not very effective for the level 4, so I will try with a more effective main weapon to destroy these fucking rock barriers without relying in my bombs.

All of that said, it's crazy that they permit to upload your scores after having used the save states. Now I start to understand some of the crazy scores in 'Star Force', and I feel more proud of my current rank in the leaderboards amongst all of these Japanese people who have been training in the game since the 80s :)

By the way, this save state feature will make of any shmup released by Hamster an instant purchase for me. I find this a nice compromise to have some fun without investing too much time in every game, and without eliminating the challenge.

Yeah, I had to use it in Youjyuuden/Heroic Episode to beat it and since the end gets stupid with enemy spam I ended up learning that I got placed 3rd on the leaderboards for the main game mode because of it. Not many others had the patience to go through with beating the game it seemed

Sol_Bad

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In case anyone missed it.
It looks like Power Spikes 2, Magical Drop 3, Shock Troopers 2, Samurai Shodown 3 and Blazing Star are on the PS4 European/Australian store.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any info about Viewpoint?

It had a different developer if I remember correctly. I wonder if that is the reason we haven't seen it yet.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
That is bitterly disappointing. Despite last week's exciting announcements, Sega hasn't been really great about old properties. I'm not going to hold my breath for this one.

Thanks!
There's the same issue with Matrimelee, which Atlus owns and thus Sega owns. I'd love both on ACA but they're pretty much the most unlikely releases along with SVC Chaos.

Strawhat_Do

Oct 27, 2017
Last Blade 2, Power Spikes 2, and Samurai Shodown 3 is finally available for PS4 owners today if anyone is interested

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
So there's 2 different versions of the same game on the store? Wow.

Yeah, one is a release that just archives the original, like it's doing across multiple platforms. The other is a focused port that shows the game a higher amount of love, especially at making it available for online play.

Pretty similar to how Sega released an early version of Golden Axe on XBLA, then it re-released in the Sega Genesis Collection, and in one of M2's later collections too. Or how a few versions of Sega's arcade and Master System games came out with the Genesis collection, only to later get separate releases on XBL.

Heck, pretty much every game in the PS2 Battle Archives collections on PS4 have also been released separately as ACA releases. And Garou has multiple releases too. Lets not even mention how many ways various Metal Slugs are available, across Playstation and Xbox online stores.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Next bunch of titles

Super Sidekicks 2
Baseball Stars Professional
Top Player's Golf
Ninja Combat
Riding Hero

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this thread. Amazing.

I had underestimated just how many fighting games SNK had produced lol.

Anyway, I put Metal Slug, Metal Slug X and Metal Slug 3 in my wish list. Have any of these games ever gone on sale on PSN ?

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
I just played Ninja Combat on the ADK Damashi PS2 on PS4 collection. I always remember it LOOKING cool, but not the specifics about the gameplay.

The things I picked up on my playthrough:

- Woah, this has unlockable characters like Sengoku 3. Didn't remember that!
- Woah, this uses like... 1 major button. 2 total. No jump, just a "run" and an attack that changes on distance.
- The fact it's a bit shooter, and a bit BEU is unique.
- There's one stage where you climb a fence like in Super Mario World! That's... unexpected.
- While the art looks solid for the most part, the animations are BAD for many things.
- Scratch that, the art sometimes looks very awkward. Gembu looks like an SD Double Dragon Brother drawn in a realistic style!
- One of the bosses is an early prototype for Nintendo's ARMS! ;)

And then, we get to the gameplay...

- .... Ok, first off, the evasion doesn't evade. No invincible frames.
- ANY motion from an enemy has an attack box. So if you're standing by a guy PREPPING AN ARROW, you take damage. This might be ok...
- BUT THERE IS NO PUSHBACK! So you instead just sit in an enemy, lose all your life, and die.
- The ranges on all range attacks except for Kagerow's SUCK. She can stand outside max retaliation range (sometimes) and attack... but all else just trade blows with the opponents.
- Melee combos just trade hits back and forward with you and the enemy. Since touching an enemy in any way incurs damage, this is incredibly clunky feeling. There's no consistent sweet spot for attacking.
- There really feels like no way to "properly" play this game. It seems to have no intended flow.
- It's ultimately just semi-pretty graphics atop what might be the worse Beat Em Up Engine I've seen since Gravity's attempt at a Double Dragon II remake.

So... yeah. I think every other NINJA game (Ninja Masters, Ninja Commando) is probably better than this, on the NeoGeo system. I don't know if I've ever come away from a NeoGeo game feeling so... soured from my previous memories. It's not bad from that Konami-style school of BEUs, but it's definitely from a time before devs started to master the gameplay cycle of the genre.

Ubiblu

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Why are the ACA icons so disgusting to look at? I'm legitimately at the point where I don't want to clog my dashboard with anymore of these things despite wanting the games.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
On the subject of unlikely ACA NeoGeo releases. I wonder what are the odds of the Visco developed games. Notably Neo Drift Out and Breakers Revenge.
You know, if there's no chance of Neo Drift Out, I'd happily settle for (or even prefer) Gaelco's (non-Neo Geo) World Rally, which is a free, legal ROM now.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Only issue with that one is that it has licensed cars in it. Depends on the terms of the licensing. The cars aren't super detailed, so maybe if they blur out/cover up the logos they could get away with it.
I honestly thought they used slightly off-model cars (and names) in Neo Drift Out, but maybe I'm thinking of something else? But you're right, so that would definitely be a roadblock.

Fake edit: Guess I was thinking of Overtop?
overtop.png

I thought it was something else that used off-models but maybe not.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You know, if there's no chance of Neo Drift Out, I'd happily settle for (or even prefer) Gaelco's (non-Neo Geo) World Rally, which is a free, legal ROM now.

I loved this game, and also Neo Drift Out. I'm not a huge fan of the art style in Overtop, but at least the gameplay is the same.
I also hope we'll see the entire Super Sidekicks series eventually.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I honestly thought they used slightly off-model cars (and names) in Neo Drift Out, but maybe I'm thinking of something else? But you're right, so that would definitely be a roadblock.

They used 3 official rally cars (toyota, subaru and mitsubishi). I think not all hope is lost though. At least the game doesn't contain any other brands/sponsoring like banners next to the race track etc.

What a disappointing list. :/

hey! The best arcade soccer game ever created (Super Sidekicks 2) plus an unsuspected surprise named "Riding Hero" is far from disappointing.

Still waiting for Waku Waku 7 to release here in Europe...

Waku Waku is out since forever in EU

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I loved this game, and also Neo Drift Out. I'm not a huge fan of the art style in Overtop, but at least the gameplay is the same.
I also hope we'll see the entire Super Sidekicks series eventually.
Overtop similarities with Neo Drift Out are relatively marginal IMO.
Yes, they use the same view but Overtop is more focused in finding the shortcuts while Neo Drift Out is more about the actual driving and drifting around the curves (which feel very nice).
I actually think Overtop is a prettier game than Neo Drift Out.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Thought Ninja Combat was the same as Ninja Commando (an excellent must own) and got very disappointed. At least we're away from the Street Fighter ripoffs though, couldn't stand weeks of garbage like World Heroes, Samurai Showdown III and Real Bout Fatal Fury plaguing the lineup with the games being so samey and cheap (especially World Heroes/AOF 1 2) Waku Waku/KOF 2000 And Garou are already out, but RB2's the last remaining excellent fighter the Switch ACA doesn't have yet, (well, not counting SNK VS Capcom which I hope happens) so there's no need for many of the older, cloney fighters. Hoping they'll kill off this line in a few months after releasing the remaining gems like Money Idol Exchanger, Twinkle Star Spirits, RB2, Baseball Stars 2, Ninja Commando and others to focus more on real arcade games for the normal ACA line.