• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Here's a few Ninja Combat coverage & reviews from 1990 & 1991 when it was still new.

Video Games & Computer Entertainment
XlJDe5F.jpg

RAZE
4x5LIkP.jpg

EGM
61iyo0m.jpg

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I find it amusing that EGM rates as the game's difficulty as "Easy" yet one of the most common complaints in the review is the abuse of using continues? It's just ironic to make the claim of a game being easy yet you die so much you rely on continue feeding to actually finish the game.

There is a reason why 1 credit runs exist in Shoot'em Ups and Arcade Beat Em Ups, because of the delicate challenge on the basis of being able to beat them game without resorting to quarter feeding.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I find it amusing that EGM rates as the game's difficulty as "Easy" yet one of the most common complaints in the review is the abuse of using continues? It's just ironic to make the claim of a game being easy yet you die so much you rely on continue feeding to actually finish the game.

There is a reason why 1 credit runs exist in Shoot'em Ups and Arcade Beat Em Ups, because of the delicate challenge on the basis of being able to beat them game without resorting to quarter feeding.

Even some famous youtubers and "influencers" believe that coin feeding was the norm when playing arcade games. Another idea that feeds to the modern narrative of "console gaming was better than the arcades" nonsense.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
How's Stakes Winner? Worth playing? I've read a bit about it and it sounds pretty simple but maybe fun.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I have to intentionally avoid reviews of arcade style games, particular shooting games.. They credit feed, then moan about how short the game is.. ugh.

dodob19

May 3, 2018
I love how Hamster is slowly adding video capture to ACA NEOGEO releases on Nintendo Switch. I believe everything released after Magical Drop III included has vidcap. First vidcap retro-update was Metal Slug 3, and most recently I think they updated Waku Waku 7.

Does anyone else have audio clipping issues with some games in docked mode? Aero Fighters 3 was updated not long ago, but I'm still getting clipping issues when docked, not as bad as the example here, but still with noticeable clipping:
https://twitter.com/dodob/status/975283280718082048

The same game session, captured in handheld, no sound issues:
https://twitter.com/dodob/status/975283659971309568

Other games where sound clipping is very evident: Samurai Shodown, Samurai Shodown 2.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn that EGM review is sad.

Nobody ever thought "Maybe I should try playing without continues?"

What really drives me crazy is that "unlimited continues" is pretty much all the reviews talk about. They could have picked any Neo Geo game out of a hat and wrote the exact same review.
It's a freaking joke.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Having played Money Puzzle Exchanger and Puzzle Fighter a bunch, I never realized how much of SPF2T's look seems lifted from MPE.

This is the best game ever. Best way to play competitively is for both players to be Eldylabor. Most fair and fun garbage pattern.
I've played 100 hours of this game.
rumor is the company FACE was sued by magical drop over this game, but all the referecnes reference each other so not sure. ps1 version sucks, but assumed this one was stuck in legal limbo.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
So is Money Idol just a Magical Drop ripoff like how most NG games rip off something, or is it actually a unique twist on it? I'm up for more puzzle action games like it, I just wanna know if it stands out and isn't cloney.

NewAgeOfAces

Dec 5, 2017
Missed the stream. Did Hamster announce what was coming to the other systems like they normally do? Last Blade 2 is already available on PSN/XBL.

I'll gladly take World Heroes Perfect.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
So excited for MPE on the go. Prefer it to Magical Drop due to its weird money related theme.

Oct 26, 2017
So is Money Idol just a Magical Drop ripoff like how most NG games rip off something, or is it actually a unique twist on it? I'm up for more puzzle action games like it, I just wanna know if it stands out and isn't cloney.

It's basically Magical Drop, but instead of matching three pieces all the time, you match together either two coins or five coins based on their money amount. (1,5,10,50,100,500) When you match them together, they change into a coin of the next highest value. As a huge Magical Drop fan, I found it overly gimmicky and worse than every Magical Drop except maybe the original, but everyone else likes it so I suppose that you can take my opinion with a grain of salt.

And yeah, Data East apparently sued Face into oblivion over the game, which is amusing because MPE was a more original "clone" than Fighter's History was to Street Fighter, lol

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
Are neo geo bootlegs getting real good cause I bought a Samurai Showdown 3 mvs game from ebay for $50 and it looks brand new. I popped it open and the boards looked like they were supposed to from the online scans of original carts. I am brand new to collecting for this system.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
I remember getting a copy of Hagane on UK SNES for £28 that looked like a repro, but upon opening it, it turned out to be legit. So hey, you might have got lucky, you never know.

Mind you, if you had gotten lucky, you'd have received a copy of SamSho V Special and not the worst SamSho (imo).

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I remember getting a copy of Hagane on UK SNES for £28 that looked like a repro, but upon opening it, it turned out to be legit. So hey, you might have got lucky, you never know.

Mind you, if you had gotten lucky, you'd have received a copy of SamSho V Special and not the worst SamSho (imo).

Samurai Shodown 3 is still better than any game made by NRS

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
Samurai Shodown 3 is still better than any game made by NRS
That goes without saying, and should not need to be said in any Neo-Geo thread. Nippon Banzai and all that.

Besides, we're talking Samurai Shodown here, of which the worst entry is still a good game. Even 64 and Sen were better than, say, their contemporary Mortal Kombat iterations (if only just).

It's just that (mostly) Namco, (especially) ASW, (with a little help from their friends) Capcom and (when they could be arsed) Sega raised the bar so high in the intervening time. Thank goodness SNK rose from almost-death like the proverbial Phoenix and proved that they still have it in them to produce greatness (say what you want, I rate KOF XIV as a very satisfactory "first try" of sorts), otherwise we might still be talking about them in the past tense!

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
Sen is one of the worst fighting games ever. I find it hard to argue it's better than any of its contemporaries.
To be fair, it was up against Mortal Kombat Armageddon and MK vs DC Universe. Kind of a toss-up.

Good thing for NRS that they raised their game with the MK reboot, but by that time SNK Playmore had already released KOF XIII, so...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
After this round my Switch ACA NeoGeo wish list is:
  • Baseball Stars 2 (SNK)
  • Bomberman: Panic Bomber (Hudson)
  • Bust-A-Move (Taito)
  • Bust-A-Move Again (Taito)
  • Data East's Ghostlop (Data East)
  • Double Dragon (Technos)
  • Far East of Eden: Kabuki Klash (Hudson)
  • Ironclad: Brikin'ger (SNK)
  • King of Fighters '97 (SNK)
  • King of Fighters 2002: Challenge to Ultimate Battle (SNK)
  • King of the Monsters 2: The Next Thing (SNK)
  • Kizuna Encounter: Super Tag Battle (SNK)
  • Metal Slug 4 (SNK)
  • Metal Slug 5 (SNK)
  • Neo Bomberman (Hudson)
  • Ninja Commando (SNK)
  • Ninja Master's: Haō Ninpō Chō (SNK)
  • Pochi & Nyaa (Taito)
  • Prehistoric Isle 2 (SNK)
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers (SNK)
  • Samurai Showdown V Special (SNK)
  • Super Dodge Ball (Technos)
  • Twinkle Star Sprites (SNK)
  • Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer (Technos)
  • Windjammers: Flying Disc Game (Data East)
  • Zupapa! (Face)
There's other stuff I'd like too from Visco (Breakers Revenge, Neo Mr. Do!, Neo Drift Out), Psikyo (Strikers 1945 Plus), some iffier license dependent SNK titles (Rage of the Dragons, SVC Chaos) and of course the likely off limits Sega owned games (Matrimelee, Viewpoint) but I tried to keep it more reasonable and with licenses Hamster already works with on ACA.

Last edited:

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Any way of estimating the release date for Last Blade 2 on Switch based on the order of the upcoming games?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes staring at the ACA list of games on eshop 74! games is intimidating.

I was thinking Garuo and Sam Sho II. Isn't Money Exchanger or whatever it is name coming soon? That looked neat. I also liked the puzzle bobble games, but I am honestly just overwhelmed with all the games.

Then add in the 40th anniversary SNK stuff coming and there will be overlap so I kind of want wait for that.

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes staring at the ACA list of games on eshop 74! games is intimidating.

I was thinking Garuo and Sam Sho II. Isn't Money Exchanger or whatever it is name coming soon? That looked neat. I also liked the puzzle bobble games, but I am honestly just overwhelmed with all the games.

Then add in the 40th anniversary SNK stuff coming and there will be overlap so I kind of want wait for that.
For what's its worth, the SNK 40th anniversaty collection is all pre neo geo games. None of them will show up in that collection.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Hamster announced some new Neo Geo games for Switch. I'm assuming most (all) of these will also come to PS4/XB1 in the future as well.

Source: http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/174661755879

tumblr_inline_p9yiflJgvt1rmjx4g_400.png

Super Sidekicks 3

tumblr_inline_p9yiflINCg1rmjx4g_400.png

The Last Blade 2

tumblr_inline_p9yiflo30n1rmjx4g_400.png

Money Puzzle Exchanger

tumblr_inline_p9yifmFFRE1rmjx4g_400.png

The Super Spy

tumblr_inline_p9yifmvkd51rmjx4g_400.png

League Bowling
Super late reply but all of these are out/coming out on PS4/XBO as well. The Last Blade 2 has previously been released on PS4/XBO so they got The King of Fighters 2000 instead.

Looking forward to Money Idol Exchanger this week!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
PS4/XBO and Switch are almost caught up with release party now. Switch just needs KOF97 and Real Bout 2 while PS4/XB1 need Garou, AOF3 and WH Perfect.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have these games ever gone on sale? I have Metal Slug 1, X and 3 in my wish list, and I haven't seen them go on sale ever.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017

dodob19

May 3, 2018
Guys! Instead of The Super Spy, it appears next week's ACA NEOGEO title is... Samurai Shodown V!
Not V Special though :\

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I really want Mr. Do to get the ACA treatment soon. I'm a fan of the original but never played the Neo Geo Mr. Do but it looks great.

What Neo Geo shmups are we still missing?

dodob19

May 3, 2018
Huh? What? Where did you learn this?

Also, why not Special?! God I'm feeling so many emotions right now. I NEED SamShoV Special on my Switch.
Just randomly showed up on the eShop! I wonder what this means for The Super Spy.

V Special should be coming eventually, if it's not tied in licensing limbo like Windjammers.

I really want Mr. Do to get the ACA treatment soon. I'm a fan of the original but never played the Neo Geo Mr. Do but it looks great.

What Neo Geo shmups are we still missing?
I only learned of Prehistoric Isle 2 yesterday. Now I really want it.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Saw SamShoV listed and checked the thread for prospects of SamShoV Special. I've sworn off 1P fighters but never tried Special and SS1/2 were memorably crazy arcade experiences even against the CPU.

NewAgeOfAces

Dec 5, 2017
Downloaded The Super Spy for PS4 last night. It's been many years butI don't remember the Engrish being this hilariously awesome.

"Bring it with, we could use new Knife"

"Blood Stopped I'm stronger now"