Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Yesterday during the livestream celebrating the 10th anniversary of Arcade Archives, a new line of ACA NeoGeo games were announced.
www.gematsu.com

ACA2 NEOGEO series announced for PS5, Xbox Series

Hamster Corporation has announced ACA2 NEOGEO, an evolution of its existing line of ACA NEOGEO classic game re-releases. ACA2 NEOGEO titles will be available for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series begin…

All the games will have online multiplayer (unsure if with rollback or delay-based), which is a first for the Arcade Archives games.
Owners of the old ACA games on PS4 and Xbox One will get a discount on the PS5/Xbox Series versions.

GaussTek

Oct 30, 2017
Nicee, hopefully they are released on the next Switch too, Switch its were I bought all my ACA games lol ;_;

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
this is cool but only if there's an active online community.

the difficulty in finding a match in Street Fighter Anniversary really sucks, and some of these games are way dustier

Oct 26, 2017
this is cool but only if there's an active online community.

the difficulty in finding a match in Street Fighter Anniversary really sucks, and some of these games are way dustier

With Fightcade being a thing, I can't imagine these games having much of an online community. Maybe it will at first, but it will soon die.

Jamesbuc

Dec 29, 2018
Oof. Im slightly salty that this is basically requiring repurchasing of the games and given the amount I already own from the ACA NeoGeo series, unless the discount is significant, im not sure I could justify myself repurchasing again.

modernkicks

Apr 7, 2020
tetris the absolute grandmaster 2 online multiplayer yes plz

edit: dang its only all neogeo rn. still cool though!

Oct 26, 2017
You're not going to get any random people playing these without setting an appointment. People won't just be sitting around in a Pulstar or Super Sidekicks session waiting for a second person in the world to turn up.

OP
OP
Piccoro

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Hope ut is rollback with spectator mode, maybe multi lobbies...
That would be great for online tournaments. This pic gives me hope the lobbies will be feature rich.
ACA2-NEOGEO-Ann_05-18-24_004-1024x576.jpg

Neo Turf Masters/Big Tournament Golf tournament, anyone?
Turf Masters, Fatal Fury 3, Art of Fighting 3 and Metal Slug will be my most played games online, for sure.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I'm interested is the new time attack mode. I've played a ton of Caravan Mode in these and I'm pretty sure I even have a trick or two that's not documented anywhere online. How would a new Time Attack Mode work though? 1CC-ing anything outside fighting games among these sounds pretty hard. Can't even imagine doing it in something like Crossed Sword or Top Players Golf.

OP
OP
Piccoro

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
The only reason I'm interested is the new time attack mode. I've played a ton of Caravan Mode in these and I'm pretty sure I even have a trick or two that's not documented anywhere online. How would a new Time Attack Mode work though? 1CC-ing anything outside fighting games among these sounds pretty hard. Can't even imagine doing it in something like Crossed Sword or Top Players Golf.
The time attack should be just like on the Capcom collections: Reach the ending as fast as you can with unlimited credits.

Also, care to share those Caravan mode tricks?...

Giga Power

Apr 24, 2021
I feel like this came out of nowhere. Hopefully, we get some titles not in the original lineup too, like Nightmare in the Dark!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
This is neat & all, but kind of wish they made good that on "Console Archives" trademark from like 2 years ago. Though if this includes games that haven't already gotten ported, that'd be even cooler.

Curious how much of a discount people will get.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
I wonder whatever became of that "Console Archives" that was discovered a couple years ago? That seems far more interesting.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The time attack should be just like on the Capcom collections: Reach the ending as fast as you can with unlimited credits.

Also, care to share those Caravan mode tricks?...
Ha, I'll give you one that no one has done on Xbox at least and I can't find documented online. If you beat the first level in Alpha Mission II without dying and without using armor(?) or whatever it's called, you will get a 100k point bonus. That way you can easily have 200k+ after stage 1 and some time to spare on the timer. The top score for Caravan Mode on Xbox is below or around 150k IIRC so it could be beaten easily with this method. I discovered it myself after I had done Caravan Mode so it's on my to-do list to do one day.

I have a text document where I made some notes for some of the harder games. There's probably some more stuff in there.

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018
Will they finally re-release KOF XI? I've been dying to play that on something other than my PS2 for years!!

Oct 26, 2017
Not with that attitude.

Everyone, join me in the Puzzle Bobble lobbies!

It's probably not going to work since they're separate titles, but ideally you should have a common Neo-Geo lobby for everyone, and it would just boot into the other game if you have it. But I'd think that only works with something where all games are in a single launcher.

Yeeesssss. I've got a real soft spot for Fatal Fury Wild Ambition and always wanted to try Samurai Shodown 64 even though I never heard good things.

I have a Neo-Geo 64 with all the fighting games except the original Samurai Shodown 64, and they're terrible, all of them. SNK didn't know what the hell they were doing. The thing could even have been a beefed up Neo-Geo just working with the 2D capabilities, but they threw that all away to do 1995-ish polygon chunks with awful animations. Buriki-One is also just about the most ass-backwards fighting game you'll ever see, for no particular reason.

They basically took three attempts to even get 3D to work. First with these, then with Maximum Impact / Metal Slug 3D, and then KoF14, improving with SamSho and finally getting things right with KoF15, to even catch up with the level of detail they were doing in 2D in 1999.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
If they put these on Switch 2 with online I'll buy every single one of them. I loved these, but no online was always a bummer.

OP
OP
Piccoro

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
It's probably not going to work since they're separate titles, but ideally you should have a common Neo-Geo lobby for everyone, and it would just boot into the other game if you have it. But I'd think that only works with something where all games are in a single launcher.
This is exactly how the "NeoGeo Station" games worked on PS3. A single lobby for all games.
The netcode was trash, though.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

I have a Neo-Geo 64 with all the fighting games except the original Samurai Shodown 64, and they're terrible, all of them. SNK didn't know what the hell they were doing. The thing could even have been a beefed up Neo-Geo just working with the 2D capabilities, but they threw that all away to do 1995-ish polygon chunks with awful animations. Buriki-One is also just about the most ass-backwards fighting game you'll ever see, for no particular reason.

They basically took three attempts to even get 3D to work. First with these, then with Maximum Impact / Metal Slug 3D, and then KoF14, improving with SamSho and finally getting things right with KoF15, to even catch up with the level of detail they were doing in 2D in 1999.
So? A collection for curiosities sake would be awesome. There's very few isolated 3D experiments from that era

OP
OP
Piccoro

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Ha, I'll give you one that no one has done on Xbox at least and I can't find documented online. If you beat the first level in Alpha Mission II without dying and without using armor(?) or whatever it's called, you will get a 100k point bonus. That way you can easily have 200k+ after stage 1 and some time to spare on the timer. The top score for Caravan Mode on Xbox is below or around 150k IIRC so it could be beaten easily with this method. I discovered it myself after I had done Caravan Mode so it's on my to-do list to do one day.

I have a text document where I made some notes for some of the harder games. There's probably some more stuff in there.
Thanks for the cool Alpha Mission II tips.

I love the Caravan mode on the AA releases. I had lots of fun trying to stay in the top 50 in Sunset Riders and Mystic Warriors.

Feb 9, 2024
Damn, most of my ACA library is on Switch, i hope they release these on Switch 2

The lack of decen alternative controllers for PS5 has really unsold me on Arcade ports on PS5.