• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
You go fast as hell but...there's no sound. No fanfare. No roar and no vibration from the engine. That said it is the smoothest ride I have ever felt in a car. I would actually kind of welcome a fake engine roar or something if they offered it.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Chevy Volt so obviously not as fast but I really like the sensation of accelerating quickly with the all electric, feels super futuristic and smooth. I've never really been a car guy though so don't pine for the roar of an engine

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are even cars with gas engines that add fake engine noise with speakers. I personally find the practice pathetic.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
An electric car is about the speed not the noise.

If you want noise then buy a classic hot-rod.

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017
I would also install some coal burners in the back to get that real coal rolling experience.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, electric cars don't have the fun factor. The future will probably be in hybrid sports cars tbh.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I'll trade you my manual 2003 Mustang GT with aftermarket exhaust for the Tesla. You get all the vroom sound you want while going as fast as a 2008 Nissan Maxima.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, in this situation I'd take the silence over gauche and tacky fake engine sound piping.

May 10, 2018
Sounds good to me. I'm in the minority though. Never been that into cars and don't like the loud engine noise. I'll take the silent assassin approach anytime.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
And polute the planet like a boss 😎

Damn right

8d295af5b961c7820091b9615d3e7e72.gif

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
You go fast as hell but...there's no sound. No fanfare. No roar and no vibration from the engine. That said it is the smoothest ride I have ever felt in a car. I would actually kind of welcome a fake engine roar or something if they offered it.

Then you should have bought any other sports car for a lot less money? But then you wouldn't get the near instantaneous torque of the electric engine?

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I kind of get it. When I used to floor it in the FR-S it felt like a rocket. You could ride it all the way to redline, bounce it off the limiter if you screw up, shift up, then begin again chasing that sweet sweet redline. When I plant it in the Stinger it's (much) faster but it's so effortless. I'm just, ok, I got to 60 in under 5 seconds. So what?

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the first cars I ever tested was a PT Cruiser with an engine that screamed when I was doing 35 mph in a residential area.

From that point onward I associated loud engines with inefficiency. If it makes as much sound as an goddamn airplane, I better be lifting off the ground.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It's a bit surreal after so many years of sitting in and driving cars with internal combustion engines, but I'm okay with the silence over a fake noise, I guess.

But there will always be a soft spot in my heart for the roars and growls and squeals and rumbles of various types and sizes of engines. Gas vehicles will end up being a recreational sort of thing sort of in the way horses are now.

And my views on engines will probably seem as foreign to younguns as people who like riding horses because of the crunch of hooves on the ground and the tightening and flexing of equine muscles against their taint do to me. And that's okay.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
There was a study that showed people having less stress on their commutes because the car was quieter. Personally, I don't need all that noise in my life.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
When you rev match down to second from 50mph and the engine goes

WARGLE
BORGLE
MORGLE
FORGLE
Motherfuckin
POP

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah you just can't commute and go to the same dozen places without the roar of your average 4 cylinder beast. Life is empty at that point.

Bless the electric future.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Most high-end cars are piping in artificial noise through the speakers now. I will never buy a car that doesn't allow it to be disabled.
Fascinating. Glad my truck doesn't have this (at least I assume it doesn't). lol

Dan

Oct 25, 2017

Here you go OP here's your solution

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
I want the car to be so loud that old people and nerds shake their heads at me when I'm going down the street.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a wapo account.

My bad. Here's a snip:

Stomp on the gas in a new Ford Mustang or F-150 and you'll hear a meaty, throaty rumble — the same style of roar that Americans have associated with auto power and performance for decades.

It's a sham. The engine growl in some of America's best-selling cars and trucks is actually a finely tuned bit of lip-syncing, boosted through special pipes or digitally faked altogether. And it's driving car enthusiasts insane.

Fake engine noise has become one of the auto industry's dirty little secrets, with automakers from BMW to Volkswagen turning to a sound-boosting bag of tricks. Without them, today's more fuel-efficient engines would sound far quieter and, automakers worry, seemingly less powerful, potentially pushing buyers away.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
Engine sound fetishes are so, so stupid. I was stuck in front of one of those super expensive, super low to the ground sports cars the other day and it made so much noise every time it moved it made me feel like I was in an F1 race or something. We were doing like 20kmh in stop and go traffic!