• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Eh, not a big deal for me when it comes time for that. I mostly listen to awful music in my car anyways and don't pay attention to car noise.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Why people need a loud engine sound and black exhaust smoke to prove their manhood is beyond me.

It's not a manhood thing, not like overly loud Harleys or putting a fart can on an import.

Each engine has a unique sound, some just sound marvelous. You can hear the engineering. V8, V10, V12, all have a unique sound that is fantastic to listen to if you are a petrol head. EVs dont have the same soul. I think we'll see them get artificial noises the same way quiet V6s and the like are getting now.

Feb 1, 2018
You can hear the engineering.

You can feel the climate changing with every push of the pedal. So marvelous! Look at how cool I am in my vroom vroom hot rod my parents bought for me, guys, ...guys?

You go fast as hell but...there's no sound. No fanfare. No roar and no vibration from the engine.

As it should be. It's so relaxing. And nice to have all that power without feeling the need to broadcast it to everybody around you

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I wish I could find the video, maybe it's not up anymore, but there is a video of Audi's R10? R15? from in the woods at night going flat out down the Mulsanne straight at Le Mans. You hear no engine, nothing...then all of a sudden you hear this mass shooting through the air and basically just hear the sound of the ambient air being disturbed so violently. It was surreal. I wish I could find it again.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Will never understand the fetishizing of car noises. The less I hear the better.

I'm hoping to make a Tesla my next car purchase in a few years. Bring on the silent car future imo.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I guess that means my civic going from 0 to 60 in 8 seconds is super fast because there's ton of road noise and vroom vroom sounds.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
NtowTed.jpg

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I want all cars to be silent just so that intentionally very loud cars can go the fuck away.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
It's because its what you grew up and what you expected. I've personally been driving am electric car for close to three years now and I find gas cars to be obnoxiously loud and can't stand the vibration anymore.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I like my loud Mustang. Sometimes it backfires when I upshift at 7400 rpms and it is glorious. Don't get me started on the downshifts.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Thats a really strange criticism, dont we all pay money to keep our cars well tuned and quiet?

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
You go fast as hell but...there's no sound. No fanfare. No roar and no vibration from the engine. That said it is the smoothest ride I have ever felt in a car. I would actually kind of welcome a fake engine roar or something if they offered it.

This is a remarkably terrible take. Ugh.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus some people really don't like that other people like cars huh.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I mainly don't like silent cars because I walk around a lot and my "almost been killed" rating is higher with electric cars than noisy ones except at intersections.

I'm glad you all like your smooth futuristic ride, and ICE's need to die tout suite, but maybe have somethin' out there so I can hear these things coming up behind me or around corners.

Oct 29, 2017
I've always found the people revving loud-ass engines in the middle of the road annoying as shit.

Give me the silent insane acceleration any day. Something about it is elegant without being showy and obnoxious.

EDIT: But holy shit yeah definitely make electric cars emit noise for safety purposes. I just remembered the few times I almost got run over by some of them and that's no fun at all

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
I actually don't like accelerating fast in a normal car, the roaring engine just makes me conscious of how hard I'm pushing the engine.

mashoutposse

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My car is as loud as is possible for a street car and I can appreciate the Tesla approach, especially for a commuter vehicle.

Over 130dB, lots of love, some hate, couldn't care less, I do me.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Cars should make some noise, for safety reasons. My neighbourhood is one of those designed by idiots in the 1950s who thought no one would ever walk anywhere, so some of the streets have no sidewalks. Hearing cars is very important in that regard.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I should be surprised people here seemingly really hate people who like cars. A car making a good sound doesn't mean it's revving like a moron in the middle of the road or blowing out your eardrum. My WRX has a very modest exhaust on it that's just enough for me to hear it as I'm driving. Makes me happy.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of Tesla?

So far in my life, nothing has topped the force of launching in a Tesla Model S P90 with ludicrous mode.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm a huge Tesla/EV fan and I'm workings towards going full EV in the next 10 years. That said... there really is nothing like a thunderous roar of a V8/10/12. It gives you the feeling that you're in control of a BEAST!

For daily driving though... Tesla all day everyday. Don't have one yet. When I have more cash.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
winga dinga dinga dinga dinga...

(I love the sound of a good healthy exhaust but this is a weird complaint. You want rumble go buy a classic Chevelle or something)

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Why people need a loud engine sound and black exhaust smoke to prove their manhood is beyond me.

I always found this rather strange myself. I guess folks feel that they paid the big bucks for an expensive car and they need to show it off?

I mean, if nobody notices my car by how loud it is, how will they know I own one and thus have the income to do so?

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
That's not at all the point of a car.

Depends on the car, IMO.

I feel like the sound gets coupled with the "action." For instance, you see rally drivers flying around blind corners, downshifting, hearing the engines redline, antilag systems go off coupled with the fact they are driving with a great sense of danger/exhilaration/precision...it can be understandable to associate liking the sound with all of that.

Plus maybe it's just our more childish instincts kicking in? A lot of my younger nieces and nephews love to play with toys and create noises with them...cars definitely have loud VROOOOMS.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Depends on the car, IMO.

I feel like the sound gets coupled with the "action." For instance, you see rally drivers flying around blind corners, downshifting, hearing the engines redline, antilag systems go off coupled with the fact they are driving with a great sense of danger/exhilaration/precision...it can be understandable to associate liking the sound with all of that.

Plus maybe it's just our more childish instincts kicking in? A lot of my younger nieces and nephews love to play with toys and create noises with them...cars definitely have loud VROOOOMS.

The difference is that nobody should be driving like a rally driver on public streets. Nobody should have to be forced to drive with a sense of danger when they're just trying to get to work in the morning.

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Chevy Volt so obviously not as fast but I really like the sensation of accelerating quickly with the all electric, feels super futuristic and smooth. I've never really been a car guy though so don't pine for the roar of an engine
I just got a volt! I love accelerating, the way it's so immediate and quiet.