• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I welcome noiseless cars, I went to a classic car show once and within minutes I had a splitting headache from all the roaring engines and horrid exhaust.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I think 50 years is a little generous, I also don't think electric cars are going to take over within the next 10 years either. I'm in LA which is probably one of the most electric car friendly areas in the entire US (California even gives you $2,500 just for buying an electric car) and yet they still comprise like 2% of all cars on the road. In my hometown it's so rare to see an electric car that, in my last visit, I don't recall seeing a single electric vehicle over the course of 5 days. It'll likely be about 20 years before electric cars are more common in any given town/city than ICE vehicles, and he's probably right that it'll be close to 50 years before enthusiasts largely give up on them as well.

It's going to take way more than 20 years for electric cars to be more common than gas ones. 5-10 years from now I'd still see gas outselling electric, and it will take longer than 10 years for those cars to age out.

I'd say 30 years yeah for electric more common than gas, and yeah probably 50 before gas cars are for all intents and purposes phased out other than collectors and enthusiasts.

The average age of cars on the road right now is 12 years old. They will still be selling a lot of gas cars 5+ years from now. You can't just tell people to stop driving their perfectly well functioning 10+ year old cars.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm planning to trade my mx-5 in for a leaf. I think I'm done with owning an ICE vehicle. Just doesn't make sense to me anymore, even as a car enthusiast.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Once every high end car manufacturer is on board with completely electric engines, you'll probably have the annoying fake engine sounds be a prominent feature on the high end models. The like of Audi and BM will add this to the high end electric cars.

I could care less either way. I'd rather they focus on eliminating all wind and tyre roar.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
I never rode in a Tesla (yet) but I can relate to when I rode the Shinkansen when I visited Japan a couple of years ago...I was hyped to travel almost 200mph on the tracks but just simply found it to be a smooth quiet pleasant comfy chill ride. Kinda anti-climactic and uneventful experience but it was still dang fast lol.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Just make acceleration noises like I make tire screeching noises when I go around a sharp corner. Uuuuurrrrrhhhhhh. So satisfying

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's way more cool and impressive the more quiet it is. It's simply better for everyone and futuristic as hell.

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the model S was outrageously boring. the novelty of the acceleration wears off after the first day. my M3 might not have as great a 0-60 or have as high a top end, but at least it doesn't feel like i'm driving a boat.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
If you are extremely rich buy this car :

009f98688cc96cf2f6b64c498fd54ea398f649ad.jpg

Trust me you won't be disappointed by the acceleration.

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
I used to drive a 68 Camaro in the 90s, with a mid sized engine (350cc I think), and the sound and exhaust smell was something else. No AC either. Just hearing a classic car brings back the memories, but damn that thing was an unwieldy slippery boat. Everytime I floored it I swear the gas meter dipped and stayed there. To this day I miss the concept of that car, but not the reality.

And as a result, I crave engine noise in my cars, but usually drive V6s. No sound would definitely be weird, but the rest of the benefits more than outweigh that.

Feb 1, 2018
This is proving my point that you guys don't get it lol. I'm very well aware of engine power curves I've had multiple cars and bikes tuned.

But you don't get it though, you're failing to understand like very basic principals of automotive engineering. Power curves are different between an EV and ICE, it's shown via acceleration nature.

Nobody cares how many cars and bikes you've driven or bought or tuned if you don't even understand how they work, stop trying to be all macho. This is why people associate car culture with toxic/insecure masculinity

They should have a noise tax for cars. I welcome the takeover of electric vehicles.

I'm all for this, but people will protest it as a "tax on the poor" just like the soda one

TromboneTony

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone in this thread who equates liking gas cars to "toxic masculinity" is an idiot (I saw it more than once). Grow the fuck up if that's how you feel about other people's legitimate hobbies.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
OP: Good as far as I'm concerned. It's a little box you sit in to get from A to B. It's not an extension of anyone's penis. I'll be so glad when that entire era is a thing of the past. Bring on the self driving future, too.

I think we'll see a lot less road rage and accidents when we completely remove everyone's ability to put their anger on full display through the proxy of their vehicle. I roll my eyes anytime someone has a hissy in their car when something isn't going their way and have to make sure everyone around them knows that either through their engine or their tires. Shouldn't exist.

Feb 1, 2018
Anyone in this thread who equates liking gas cars to "toxic masculinity" is an idiot (I saw it more than once). Grow the fuck up if that's how you feel about other people's legitimate hobbies.

Lol at these comments. You're scared of the cultural change, aren't you. How...conservative

Frankly I'm fucking tired of the noise, the communities being polluted by exhaust, the assholes driving dangerously in their mustangs and lifted trucks for attention and male ego validation, and the whole climate change thing which you seem to prioritize below your lEgItiMaTe hObBiEs

Illegalize existing cars or force new cars to be electric? There's a big difference.

Both, IIRC. Germany and France and some of the Nordic countries are doing it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Maybe they should grow the fuck and not bitch about silent cars that don't fuck the environment over then?
It is possible to like cars and also like electric vehicles and a cleaner, less noisy environment while voicing my like of ICE sounds. Man this thread was not meant to be so full of anger haha

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Lol at these comments. You're scared of the cultural change, aren't you. How...conservative

Frankly I'm fucking tired of the noise, the communities being polluted by exhaust, the assholes driving dangerously in their mustangs and lifted trucks for attention and male ego validation, and the whole climate change thing which you seem to prioritize below your lEgItiMaTe hObBiEs
Liking cars doesn't mean you subscribe to toxic masculinity/are a Trump supporter or that you care more about cars than the environment. Like whoa those accusations are serious dude, chill out, not cool.

AL_

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the responses here are so ridiculous. The ignorant knowledge of why EVs are fast and the shitting on people who like ICE cars.

I bet most of you that called out people enjoying ICE cars aren't doing as much as you can for the environment. It's such a petty thing to complain about, no wonder everyone is always complaining about people complaining...here I am doing just that lmao

I see why OP would say this but I will take both types of vehicles. They each have their own perks in regards to user satisfaction. Tesla P100D is truly an amazing experience as an enthusiast, but so is my biturbo 6 cyl BMW, I wouldn't trade one for another.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Arent silent cars dangerous in the sense that people relay on sight as well as sound in traffic?

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine with them offering audio cues internally that sound like muscle cars if that's what these folks want. External sound if you're gonna have any should be of higher pitch so it's easy to locate the source of sound. There, you got your roaring muscle car to yourself and everyone else gets the friendly jingle like all those equipment in factories that's a death hazard are required to.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
OP, have you been in a P100D or a performance model 3? I've test driven a performance model 3. It's so damn jarring and fast that you don't even notice the sound or lack there of.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
OP, have you been in a P100D or a performance model 3? I've test driven a performance model 3. It's so damn jarring and fast that you don't even notice the sound or lack there of.
The lack of sound was the first thing I noticed, and that lack of aural sensation doesn't go away. I'm not sure how you can't notice it?

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
somewhere out there is a man who appreciates how loud his ps4 pro is. he starts it up, puts on the god of war pause menu and hears that engine roar.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
I don't get how some are just jumping to the conclusion that those who enjoy the noise are spreading some macho-toxic-madness and are afraid of change. I also don't understand why some being a fan of noise automatically mean dangerous public driving.

I'm not saying that problem does not exist, but Autocross/RallyCross/Track Days are a thing. For some, like me, your daily driver is your track toy and I personally like the fact that when it's time to put the car through it's paces, it gives you audible feedback. It just gives you a better connection to the car, especially those who drive manual, IMO.

Living in LA, those polluting drivers have been replaced with faster, more dangerous silent accelerating Teslas. The amount of fuckery I've seen on my commutes are mostly attributed to those engineering marvels. I understand the concerns and frustrations but Tesla being a "quiet" car doesn't mean it's not contributing to any sort of pollution, batteries do damage to the world also. Whatever the solution is in the future, I'm all for it.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
But you don't get it though, you're failing to understand like very basic principals of automotive engineering. Power curves are different between an EV and ICE, it's shown via acceleration nature.

Nobody cares how many cars and bikes you've driven or bought or tuned if you don't even understand how they work, stop trying to be all macho. This is why people associate car culture with toxic/insecure masculinity

I'm all for this, but people will protest it as a "tax on the poor" just like the soda one
dont confuse macho with actually understand vehicle dynamics and how tq/hp delivery matter for off the line acceleration. You're talking about one point that doesn't mean squat if others aren't there. I've already disproved you here with plain and simple video evidence and you won't even watch it bc that's how small and fragile your opinion is.

The only thing toxic here is you. Your inability to understand off the line acceleration is entirely dependent on grip not some on/off torque curve. Learn to drive first then come back here and talk please. On the street awd is everything for sub 3 second 0-60 not some electric power delivery. If your argument held water the rs7 and 911 turbo wouldn't be faster and they are. The 911 turbo is the fastest stock 1/4 and 0-60 car I've seen tested. Car and driver said it's the most brutal acceleration they've ever experienced and yet not electric. Please brilliant sir explain to my simple mind how that could be.