• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Engine noises are an archaic concept, and vehicle enthusiasts are gonna have to get used to that fact.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
A car that won't drown out my sound system on the highway sounds nice.

I always have to choose between music and conversation because the music has to be so loud to be heard.

The noise is just a superficiality anyways.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You go fast as hell but...there's no sound. No fanfare. No roar and no vibration from the engine. That said it is the smoothest ride I have ever felt in a car. I would actually kind of welcome a fake engine roar or something if they offered it.
I've never understood why this isn't just an upgrade package for those who want it. It's also a potential safety thing. People know to get out of the way often because they can hear a vehicle coming. I remember watching mock examples of a sound replication of the engine. So not sure why that isn't there. Also assumably you could use the speaker system provided it's up to snuff to also help replicate it for the user. Without annoying everyone blocks away.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Engine noises are an archaic concept, and vehicle enthusiasts are gonna have to get used to that fact.
I mean, until they actually make internal combustion engine powered cars illegal, engine noise is something that will continue to exist and people are going to have to deal with that fact. And don't count on that happening during your lifetime.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
In regards to pedestrians, Toyota hybrids purposely make noise so people hear them. All electric cars should IMO, especially for the blind.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can feel the climate changing with every push of the pedal. So marvelous! Look at how cool I am in my vroom vroom hot rod my parents bought for me, guys, ...guys?

Masturbatory posts like this are so damn childish. I spend hours tuning and working on my bike because I have a passion for the engineering and aesthetics of it but "hurr it runs on petrol, your parents bought it and you like killing the planet". Grow up dude

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I'm all in for Tesla's to play Kawhi Leonard's laugh through the car horn when you floor the accelerator.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I hear you OP - there is something romantic about the sound. But at the end of the day, that is energy being lost to a useless (and to some, actively obnoxious/polluting) form, and every discipline has to think about how to reduce energy expenditure moving forward.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed this when playing GT Sport in VR. Very boring to actually drive. Then again it's not like any of the models are actually sports cars.

Feb 1, 2018
Masturbatory posts like this are so damn childish. I spend hours tuning and working on my bike because I have a passion for the engineering and aesthetics of it but "hurr it runs on petrol, your parents bought it and you like killing the planet". Grow up dude

Haha yeah, it's so childish to be concerned about environmentally destructive technology and the people that actively fetishize/culturalize it

By all means, enjoy your bike on your own private property. But on public roads it's a hardcore nuisance. Not to mention the whole CO2 thing.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
There was a study that showed people having less stress on their commutes because the car was quieter. Personally, I don't need all that noise in my life.

Yeah. Sitting in cars that make a lot of noise, driven by drivers whom I don't know usually stresses me out. It's also 1 of the reasons why I still don't have a driver's licence at 35.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
You go fast as hell but...there's no sound. No fanfare. No roar and no vibration from the engine. That said it is the smoothest ride I have ever felt in a car. I would actually kind of welcome a fake engine roar or something if they offered it.
Wow I love muscle cars but this is just bad .... add fake noise ? The car is designed a specific way if you don't like it buy another one. If I had a tesla and it piped noise in id break the speakers .

Feb 1, 2018
It's the awd that makes it fast (in a straight line) not being electric.

It's actually the instantaneous torque (different power curve than internal combustion) intrinsic to electric motors that makes it crazy fast from 0-30 or 0-60. At higher sustained speeds the battery drains pretty quickly hence why you only see Tesla's winning drag races and not much else.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
What the OP described sounds like exactly how I would feel, at least initially. I'm sure I'd get used to it over time, but I'm also type of person where I'm like a deer in headlights driving an automatic since I rarely ever do. I've gotten anxiety multiple times driving auto cars going into a stoplight cause I feel like I'm not doing the right things since I'm so used to having a clutch.

Irate

Oct 25, 2017
You're confusing electric with all wheel drive. It's the awd that makes it fast (in a straight line) not being electric.

You're confusing all wheel drive with almost anything else. All wheel drive actually costs you power due to drive train losses, once your car is actually rolling front wheel or rear wheel drive delivers more power. In addition it's as Polymerization said, Tesla's are fast due to the instant torque from an electric motor.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
It's actually the instantaneous torque (different power curve than internal combustion) intrinsic to electric motors that makes it crazy fast from 0-30 or 0-60. At higher sustained speeds the battery drains pretty quickly hence why you only see Tesla's winning drag races and not much else.
No it's actually an Awd thing. I know I've driven a Tesla and tons of awd cars. Try getting instant torque to the ground on two wheels. Or look at the street performance of awd cars. Shockingly similar to Tesla awd cars amazing I know.

Speaking of drag races I've been in them and beaten Tesla's. This isn't some magical thing it's grip. You can really tell who actually has driven higher end cars on this forum and who just reads articles on newspapers (not car mags those will talk about awd)

You're confusing all wheel drive with almost anything else. All wheel drive actually costs you power due to drive train losses, once your car is actually rolling front wheel or rear wheel drive delivers more power. In addition it's as Polymerization said, Tesla's are fast due to the instant torque from an electric motor.
Yeah this is bullshit again. Awd does have hp loss in the transmission like any car with a transmission but the acceleration of Tesla's is all awd. Or would you care to explain why other awd cars are just as fast like the RS7 I owned for two years that would show Tesla's tail lights routinely and easily. (Had stage 1 APR tune otherwise stock)

Edit:
Anyone that thinks Tesla's electric motors are what make them fast and not awd watch and learn
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QhZAw8HaTJo

Last edited:

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha yeah, it's so childish to be concerned about environmentally destructive technology and the people that actively fetishize/culturalize it

By all means, enjoy your bike on your own private property. But on public roads it's a hardcore nuisance. Not to mention the whole CO2 thing.

So how do you propose I get to work, uni or anywhere else? There's no reliable public transport where I live and none of the things I listed are within bicycle distance. By all means, let me know.

I'm concerned about the environment. I push and run a recycling initiative at my workplace and vote for environmentally supportive parties/representatives. Just because I still rely on petrol to live and like to do mechanical work on the thing I rely on doesn't mean I don't wish for the alternative to be accessible.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
definitely a low key flex thread

and people really think if we have all electric, quiet cars that blind people will start running into the streets and getting hit??
I mean theres a quick fix to that, just have a speaker system shouting "TESLA COMIN OVER HERE, WATCH OUT POOR PEOPLE!" when ever in motion

Done

Feb 1, 2018
No it's actually an Awd thing. I know I've driven a Tesla and tons of awd cars. Try getting instant torque to the ground on two wheels. Or look at the street performance of awd cars. Shockingly similar to Tesla awd cars amazing I know.

I've been around cars and driven all kinds of them my entire life as well. Yes, AWD definitely is a factor, but in the specific case of EV's it's literally the nature of the motor to provide instant torque because you're flipping from off to on like any other electronic device. A gas car has to work through gears in a transmission to get to higher torque levels- EV's don't have gears it's just boom, go. EV's are the inverse of internal combustion engines (ICE), they start off fast instantly but cap out at a lower top speed and the battery drains quicker at higher levels similar to how a laptop battery drains quick when you're maxing the CPU/GPU.

An ICE car has to work through gears before reaching a sustained higher top speed but it also coasts along at 80mph in high gear with relatively little fuel consumption (that's why highway MPG is always higher than street) wheras an EV at 80+mph will see the battery level drop fast since the motor has to continuously feed all that power from the battery to keep going at that high rate.

So how do you propose I get to work, uni or anywhere else? There's no reliable public transport where I live and none of the things I listed are within bicycle distance. By all means, let me know.

The way I see it, for this situation it works to have a cheap little EV or hybrid commuter car (Leaf, 500e, used i3, prius c, etc) and then you have the hot rods and stuff in the garage for fun.

I'm concerned about the environment. I push and run a recycling initiative at my workplace and vote for environmentally supportive parties/representatives. Just because I still rely on petrol to live and like to do mechanical work on the thing I rely on doesn't mean I don't wish for the alternative to be accessible.

That's great to hear as well, and once EV's become mainstream then there will be more practical options..it's definitely an early adopter thing right now but the consequences of gas-powered personal transit are real and important

Last edited:

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Yes, AWD definitely is a factor, but in the specific case of EV's it's literally the nature of the motor to provide instant torque because you're flipping from off to on like any other electronic device. A gas car has to work through gears in a transmission to get to higher torque levels- EV's don't have gears it's just boom, go. EV's are the inverse of internal combustion engines (ICE), they start off fast instantly but cap out at a lower top speed and the battery drains quicker at higher levels similar to how a laptop battery drains quick when you're maxing the CPU/GPU.

An ICE car has to work through gears before reaching a sustained higher top speed but it also coasts along at 80mph in high gear with relatively little fuel consumption (that's why highway MPG is always higher than street) wheras an EV at 80+mph will see the battery level drop fast since the motor has to continuously feed all that power from the battery to keep going at that high rate.
Once again an engine being on/off without awd is pretty much useless/dangerous. Idk where this idiotic bullet point first came from but it's just dishonest and ridiculous. Anyone that understands what makes a car actually fast will tell you on/off torque is absolutely not how to do it. It's terrible without a preponderance of grip supplied by awd. So it is awd that makes Tesla's able to be fast. Idk how many time or how else I can say this.

If it was the on off nature of electric motors then I couldn't post this showing ICE vehicles beating Tesla's off the line.
Why? Because awd is much more of a factor than some silly marketing bullet point.

Idk what you're talking about how ice cars have to go through the gears lol. You select a launch rpm and carry it any decent sports car doesn't have to row gears to reach max power and it usually lines up with your available grip. Once again this sounds like someone that magazine races and hasn't actually driven these cars like I have.

Irate

Oct 25, 2017

Speaking of drag races I've been in them and beaten Tesla's. This isn't some magical thing it's grip. You can really tell who actually has driven higher end cars on this forum and who just reads articles on newspapers (not car mags those will talk about awd)

Yeah this is bullshit again. Awd does have hp loss in the transmission like any car with a transmission but the acceleration of Tesla's is all awd. Or would you care to explain why other awd cars are just as fast like the RS7 I owned for two years that would show Tesla's tail lights routinely and easily. (Had stage 1 APR tune otherwise stock)

Edit:
Anyone that thinks Tesla's electric motors are what make them fast and not awd watch and learn

I'm not sure where you're going with this. You had a fast AWD car so that means AWD cars are fast? All wheel drive is great for putting power to the ground on a launch, I agree with you there. Once you're past the launch part of a race AWD is worse than front or rear wheel drive. All wheel drives don't have hp loss in the transmission like any car with a transmission, they have more loss as you have to power 2 more wheels and other drivetrain equipment. This is all pretty basic stuff you can read about.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I'm not sure where you're going with this. You had a fast AWD car so that means AWD cars are fast? All wheel drive is great for putting power to the ground on a launch, I agree with you there. Once you're past the launch part of a race AWD is worse than front or rear wheel drive. All wheel drives don't have hp loss in the transmission like any car with a transmission, they have more loss as you have to power 2 more wheels and other drivetrain equipment. This is all pretty basic stuff you can read about.
Well if you read the post chain it's pretty obvious what I was talking about lol. The rest of your post is just nothing to do with the discussion.

I originally responded to a claim that the on off nature of Tesla's motors are what makes them superior off the line. That's not true it's the awd. It's nothing unique to Tesla. Any high power awd car is fast off the line. Tesla isn't even the fastest awd car. The Porsche 911 turbo is off the line.

For track work I usually rode my Ducati 1199s or the yami R6 as road racing a car is super expensive. I always wanted to track one of my Z06s but it's just insane for tires and brakes.

Feb 1, 2018
Once again an engine being on/off without awd is pretty much useless/dangerous. Idk where this idiotic bullet point first came from but it's just dishonest and ridiculous. Anyone that understands what makes a car actually fast will tell you on/off torque is absolutely not how to do it. It's terrible without a preponderance of grip supplied by awd. So it is awd that makes Tesla's able to be fast. Idk how many time or how else I can say this.

If it was the on off nature of electric motors then I couldn't post this showing ICE vehicles beating Tesla's off the line.
Why? Because awd is much more of a factor than some silly marketing bullet point.

Idk what you're talking about how ice cars have to go through the gears lol. You select a launch rpm and carry it any decent sports car doesn't have to row gears to reach max power and it usually lines up with your available grip. Once again this sounds like someone that magazine races and hasn't actually driven these cars like I have.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the physics and engineering characteristics behind each type of motor, I'll just leave it at that. The torque curves are totally different functions in each and it's reflected in the acceleration nature. It's why a Model S P100D has something like a 2.5 second 0-60, rivaling sports cars 3x the price. Or why even the lowliest nissan leaf still feels fun when you floor it when the on-paper specs suggest otherwise.

For the record, if we're doing the pissing contest, I've driven all kinds of ferraris and visited their facilities along with Lamborghini's, and come from a family of mechanics and car flippers.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the physics and engineering characteristics behind each type of motor, I'll just leave it at that. The torque curves are totally different functions in each and it's reflected in the acceleration nature. It's why a Model S P100D has something like a 2.5 second 0-60, rivaling sports cars 3x the price. Or why even the lowliest nissan leaf feels fun when you floor it.
Lol. No I don't. Good grief. Motors don't mean squat if you can't put the power down. No a leaf doesn't feel fun when you floor it if you're used to a decently accelerating car in the first place. I don't even lol.

Yes the model S p100 has a 2.5 0-60 the rs7 ice motor has a 2.3 0-60 and the Porsche turbo ice motor has a 0-60 of 2.2. Your point? Look you're wrong and it's ok to be wrong but you're really dying on this silly hill of marketing mumbo jumbo and it's sad.

The p100d is 120k right? If so it's not even the fastest accelerating sedan car in a 1/4 mile in its price range. Give it up. Much less fastest accelerating car. It's also not the fastest 0-60 sedan in its price range before you try and nitpick.

Electric motors aren't gods gift and you know how long it takes an ice motor to reach peak tq off the line? Milliseconds. That's actually good it allows the tires time to flex and recover off the line. Immediate max power only is good if you have massive grip that usually isn't available.

Honestly it's you that has a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes a vehicle fast off the line. Or fast in general apparently.

I'll post this one more time since you haven't watched it obviously

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018
Lol. No I don't. Good grief. Motors don't mean squat if you can't put the power down. No a leaf doesn't feel fun when you floor it if you're used to a decently accelerating car in the first place. I don't even lol.

Yes the model S p100 has a 2.5 0-60 the rs7 ice motor has a 2.3 0-60 and the Porsche turbo ice motor has a 0-60 of 2.2. Your point? Look you're wrong and it's ok to be wrong but you're really dying on this silly hill of marketing mumbo jumbo and it's sad.

Doesn't make sense to keep arguing with you. Stick to the comment sections at AutoBlog.

I'll just leave this here.

electric_motor_speed_vs_torque_power.png

versus a gas engine:

power_torqued485bb12c37c4f86a147f8f91f7021e0.gif

Irate

Oct 25, 2017

The p100d is 120k right? If so it's not even the fastest accelerating sedan car in a 1/4 mile in its price range. Give it up. Much less fastest accelerating car. It's also not the fastest 0-60 sedan in its price range before you try and nitpick.

I'm not really into RS7s but I don't see anywhere online that a stock one has a 2.3 0-60 time. Sorry if my google is failing.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Don't listen to all these sterile ass people mocking you op, I'm with you on this one. The rush you get from hearing and feeling a powerful engine being gone is gonna take some getting used to in the future but it's for the best. Gonna miss those amazing AMG sounds :( The power And efficiency you get from an electric vehicle is a good enough trade off though.

Nov 11, 2017
Acceleration is all that matters.

Unnecessary noise from vehicles needs to be made illegal. I feel embarrassed for people with loud bikes not realizing everyone thinks they're a douchebag.

Feb 1, 2018
Don't listen to all these sterile ass people mocking you op, I'm with you on this one. The rush you get from hearing and feeling a powerful engine being gone is gonna take some getting used to in the future but it's for the best. Gonna miss those amazing AMG sounds :( The power And efficiency you get from an electric vehicle is a good enough trade off though.

Crazy engines and sports cars will still be around, they just won't be street legal anymore. There will still be tracks you can go to, pay the fee, and let it all out for an afternoon.

Feb 1, 2018
That's good enough for me. I'm still salty the US isn't getting the Honda E prototype. That was the electric car I was aiming to buy in the near future :(

Honda definitely has something for the US. Toyota is getting into the EV game too, they've been staying out so far because Japan heavily subsidizes hydrogen fuel cell instead.

Porsche's upcoming EV's are going to be super exciting, starting with Taycan. They seem to "get it" when translating their classic sports car experiences into a new engineering paradigm

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I disagree entirely. If you haven't experienced ludicrous mode, you haven't experienced the fun Tesla.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I like a car that doesn't sound like I'm piloting a jet powered by farts down the road.

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Personal attacks against another member another member, previous warnings
Fuckin anime avatars, smh

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Honda definitely has something for the US. Toyota is getting into the EV game too, they've been staying out so far because Japan heavily subsidizes hydrogen fuel cell instead.

Porsche's upcoming EV's are going to be super exciting, starting with Taycan. They seem to "get it" when translating their classic sports car experiences into a new engineering paradigm
Yup. Very excited to see what comes out in the next few years, just hope it's the E prototype but we'll see.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
definitely a low key flex thread

and people really think if we have all electric, quiet cars that blind people will start running into the streets and getting hit??

You haven't been paying attention if you don't think completely silent cars are a real concern, and not just with blind people.

One NHTSA study found that pedestrian accidents are 37 percent more likely in electric vehicles than conventional cars.

And they've already started passing laws requiring noise under a certain speed, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this is something that is constantly looked at over the next decade or so.