• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
An Hyperion TV series was announced a while ago, I remember the news involved SyFy and Bradley Cooper, and then nada. I wanted to know if it was still a thing, so I just searched news about this and found out this post by Dan Simmons on his own forum :

-------------------
Besides saying "Welcome to the Forums", I have to say that I really like parts of your cast list for HYPERION: THE MOVIE.

As for anything happening on that front . . . no. Graham King Films (GK Films now) bought all the rights of all four Hyperion books (and a novella) some years ago and now share them with Warner Bros. All the Bradley Cooper stuff was nonsense. When Charlie Rose (back before he was . . . ah . . . exposed) asked Cooper which movie he'd really like to make, the actor waxed rhapsodic about this book he and his buddy in college loved . . . HYPERION.

As I heard the story (from my various moles in the L.A. machinery), Cooper said he wanted to write a treatment for HYPERION and GK films gave him a shot at it. Turned out that the actor couldn't break the novel down into a workable. He also couldn't write. (Note: better men than he have tried -- Disney Studios threw writers at deconstructing the HYPERION novel for film for 5 years long ago. Couldn't do it.) So Cooper then announced that he'd just write the entire SCREENPLAY. Naturally, if he couldn't figure out a treatment, he couldn't do a screenplay. (None of this took much of the invaluable actor's time, by the by.)

I'm told, by unreliable white horse souses, that Cooper then announced to the Hollywood press that he'd produce an Hyperion series on the SyFy Channel. The report is that this network said fine and dandy, if Bradley Cooper would appear in it from time to time. Now the reports get foggy, although oddly similar, in "quoting" Bradley Cooper as saying to the SyFy entity -- "Are you fucking kidding??? This is just . . . gag . . . TV!!!"

So . . . nada, zilch, nichts, niemals.

But thank you, Bradley . . . for setting the entire HYPERION: THE MOVIE project back a year and more. [Note: at no time during this actor-plays-with-his-toys joke did Cooper ever contact the author of the novel he said meant so much to him and his roommate through college and beyond. Of course not!! I've been around the L.A. industry just long enough to know -- deep in my marrow -- that going to the novelist for a film is a ludicrous and preposterous idea.]

No bitterness here, gang, just more wry bemusement. Of course, since the septic tank motor broke down, I have a basement filled with wry bemusement.

Dan
-------------------

Source.
Apparently, no news site picked up on it, but here it is. Thanks Bradley.

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017
:-(

I guess I should stop having hope that there will ever be a proper Hyperion adaptation.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't even know this was a thing and that forum post is a mess, what is even being said there? It reads like a rambling of a mad man.

Oct 26, 2017
Being an actor doesn't mean you're automatically going to be bad at writing, but god damn it Bradley... start with something a bit easier.

OP
OP
Nikus

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know this was a thing and that forum post is a mess, what is even being said there? It reads like a rambling of a mad man.
Is it hard to follow? He just says that Bradley Cooper thought he'd be able to adapt it but couldn't write anything good, and he never contacted him despite parading in interviews for years talking about his love for Hyperion. He also says that sources told him that Cooper didn't think highly of TV shows but heh, it reads a bit like hyperbole.
I found a video from 2012:

And the official SyFy announcement in 2015 if you want more context:
https://variety.com/2015/tv/news/bradley-cooper-hyperion-syfy-1201516501/

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
This sounds like a bit of bullshit, Bradley Cooper had no problem having a reoccurring role in the Limitless TV series which he was also a producer of.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much work Bradley Cooper on the "A Star is Born," screenplay. Also why doesn't the author just trying writing it since he has been waiting years anyway?

This sounds like a bit of bullshit, Bradley Cooper had no problem having a reoccurring role in the Limitless TV series.
That's CBS though not Syfy.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hyperion is like Dune. You need a huge budget to pull it off without humiliating yourself.

No way in hell a TV show would be anything but a travesty. Maybe a GoT-size budget on HBO. Maybe.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Is it hard to follow? He just says that Bradley Cooper thought he'd be able to adapt it but couldn't write anything good, and he never contacted him despite parading in interviews for years talking about his love for Hyperion. He also says that sources told him that Cooper didn't think highly of TV shows but heh, it reads a bit like hyperbole.
I found a video from 2012:

And the official SyFy announcement in 2015 if you want more context:
https://variety.com/2015/tv/news/bradley-cooper-hyperion-syfy-1201516501/

It was written a bit weird and I got the gist of it mostly, just confused everything was so dependent on Cooper, if he had so much trouble getting it to work, he could have asked for help and advise no? And even if he's not going through with it, someone else at some point could take over.

OP
OP
Nikus

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he keeps reminding us that he's a terrible writer, seems personal. The above video just shows that Cooper's passion for the book seems genuine.
In that case I can understand that Simmons is bitter that he was never contacted, especially if Cooper had so much trouble making it work. Like, not even a courtesy call for this thing he loves so much? Ehh.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also don't see how you could do it in one movie. Again, like Dune, you need at least two movies just for the first book.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
Hyperion is like Dune. You need a huge budget to pull it off without humiliating yourself.

No way in hell a TV show would be anything but a travesty. Maybe a GoT-size budget on HBO. Maybe.

I think the first book could be awesome as a campy Star Trek / Black Mirror budget series. Something epic would be great as well, but a lot of the stories feel like small little episodes of a show. Or in a different direction, something like Animatrix with different styles/studios for different stories.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
In that case I can understand that Simmons is bitter that he was never contacted, especially if Cooper had so much trouble making it work. Like, not even a courtesy call for this thing he loves so much? Ehh.

That doesn't seem to be uncommon when writers sell their stories to be made into other media. Especially if the project never got past the draft/screenplay phase.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Like the first book, didn't really care for the others.

Definitely don't care about Dan Simmons though.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't bother with 3 and 4, but I thought the first two were pretty stupid.

The Terror is amazing and Drood is very interesting, but everything else I've read from Simmons has ranged from entertaining trash (Carrion Comfort) to barely readable trash (Darwin's Blade). And I've read a lot, because The Terror was so great. Hyperion was just well-written silliness. I've never understood why it gets people so excited.