• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
EA corporate only putting resources behind something that will have a long "revenue tail" sounds like coercing a studio to make a specific kind of game, especially when you look at BioWare's catalog. Saying they have autonomy sounds inaccurate based on what's in the OP.

Though I haven't seen where DICE's "revenue tail" is for BFV yet, so maybe some studios get more slack than others?

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shhhh! No one tell Yongyea about this, he might be able to wring at least three completely inaccurate/pointless videos from these these tweets.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Once again, delivering the message, told by the developers, which comes from the top.

It's obvious to me that the decision to make Frostbite the primary engine for current-gen was Aaryn Flynn's "choice" AFTER someone higher up maybe Patrick Söderlund or Andrew Wilson being all nudge-nudge on it, where really, it comes down to some reluctance to pay more money to license Unreal or other engines when you have something internal. Similarly, when I hear that "EA gives BioWare Autonomy; Anthem was BioWare's own idea" I only believe it insofar as "EA was pushing for live-service; the industry's competition is live-service" and then BioWare are basically hamstrung into making whatever progress they had on a new IP into "Live service". If not being forced it's at least Tone At The Top rearing its ugly head.

The only way it totally makes sense that BioWare went "YUP, MP-only, looter shooter is so us!", from the start, might be because ME3MP was such a huge hit while the single-player department of that game (their biggest game at the time) was so controversial. That might've led them to feel more confidence towards being focused on multiplayer and gameplay. It's just nuts when you know that the narrative designers, the writers and creative directors at the studio are basically the higher-ups there. That's the "2 and 2" I just cannot put together and I think Anthem's bipolar approach to story vs game-core proves something doesn't add up there.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the quote from a Respawn dev was: "EA gives you enough rope to hang yourself."

So, they voluntarily hanged themselves with Titanfall 2's release date. And, it looks as though Bioware have unfortunately hanged themselves with this game :<

Last edited:

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow!!!!!! I can't believe it takes a fucking reporter to say what's been said by Bioware for months!!!!

It's almost as if working at EA isn't some flesh pit fuckhouse like you maggot mouths suggest!!!

This post on the other hand. Imagine being this mad that people are so mean to EA to the point of orgasmic validation.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought people blaming Anthem on EA was the equivalent to people blaming Destiny on Activision.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
EA may not be telling their studios which games to make but they are also pretty clear on what games they don't want(traditional single player).
They want stuff they can heavily monetize.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
if anything, this only paints the picture that things do look dire for Bioware considering they were adamant about this game. and secondly, what is the "long term revenue stream" for this game? all the expansions are gonna be free and the cosmetics/javelins are the MTX. That's what they expected to support this game in its state?

also, EA may not have said "make anthem" but if they cant make games without long term revenue tails then that means they arent gonna make the games bioware *was* good at.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Just like Bungie, Bioware was given all the rope to hang themselves.

I NEED to know what happened. God I hope press sneak has a post mortem in the works. Anthem had to have been andromeda'd and restarted or re-scoped sometime in the past 2 years. The bugs give the impression it was rushed, but the absolute baffling design decisions, missing features, and poorly implemented systems scream of scrapping together what they had.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
But really just looking at the lineup of what Bioware released, unless they were mandated from above to go this way starting in like 2005 it seems like an organic growth on their part.
I agree. For me Anthem is the end of a long road of Bioware compartmentalizing and disjoining the RPG parts of their RPGs that started with Mass Effect 2 splitting their missions into combat areas and talky, RPG areas.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow!!!!!! I can't believe it takes a fucking reporter to say what's been said by Bioware for months!!!!

It's almost as if working at EA isn't some flesh pit fuckhouse like you maggot mouths suggest!!!
So often the level of candor that people are allowed in those positions are severely restricted. So, it's a factor of not knowing if those people are allowed to tell the full truth. Taking talking heads at face value is a bad idea.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
EA corporate only putting resources behind something that will have a long "revenue tail" sounds like coercing a studio to make a specific kind of game, especially when you look at BioWare's catalog. Saying they have autonomy sounds inaccurate based on what's in the OP.

Though I haven't seen where DICE's "revenue tail" is for BFV yet, so maybe some studios get more slack than others?
Ubisoft is literally doing the same thing with their Live services approach.
It's just the way the industry works at big publishers now.
The certainly could do much smaller projects if they wanted to.
Actually EA released a few indie sized games recently so it's not like there's no opportunities like that at EA.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. It's not like EA would pitch the game to the studio.

But if you want to justify your expenses you can't load up a PowerPoint presentation for a puzzle game. It's a 'choice'.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

You need to dial it back. I get the point you're trying to make but no need to escalate it (Even if it isn't directed at anyone in particular).

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I agree. For me Anthem is the end of a long road of Bioware compartmentalizing and disjoining the RPG parts of their RPGs that started with Mass Effect 2 splitting their missions into combat areas and talky, RPG areas.
Heck we're having this conversation because something went really wrong with Anthem but otherwise if they didn't botch the release that badly, there would be very few of us having this discussion.
Heck I don't even play Bioware games and even I could see that Anthem made sense for them to make.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm sure the pressure is as subtle as he's making it out to be, but asking "Where's your Destiny?" or saying the studio needs to get on board with the corporate-wide GaaS initiative and figure out how to monetize their games past the initial point of sell is basically forcing them to make an online game. I mean, everyone knows what happens to EA studios that don't perform. Not that the people in charge of Bioware weren't interested in giving it a try, but I doubt there was zero pressure to do it.

Yeah, this sounds right. I actually think that working at EA is probably one of the better places to work in the industry based on the accounts I've read, and also the way EA addresses their creative staff is insidious in a really subtle way. At least up until the point the firing starts.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Of course. It's not like EA would pitch the game to the studio.

But if you want to justify your expenses you can't load up a PowerPoint presentation for a puzzle game. It's a 'choice'.
If they wanted to make something expensive they have to make something that's gonna bring the cash.
Otherwise they could do this

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth

neildegrasse.jpg

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Ubisoft is literally doing the same thing with their Live services approach.
It's just the way the industry works at big publishers now.
The certainly could do much smaller projects if they wanted to.
Actually EA released a few indie sized games recently so it's not like there's no opportunities like that at EA.
Are any of those made by EA-owned studios, though, or have they just entered into a publishing relationship? I thought the teams that made A Way Out, Fe and Unravel were not part of the company.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a huge difference there?

I wouldn't say so. The outcome is the same.
I think the biggest take away is that you can't keep trying to see the dev studio as this victim chained in the basement. freeing them isn't going to instantly make them better. Bioware of old is simply gone

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I don't think there's a ton of difference between pushing them to do a Destiny-like and asking them where their version of FIFA Ultimate Team is.
Same difference honestly.

And I'm not trying to vilify EA. There's no doubt that something went wrong at Bioware with Anthem and even some of their previous games. But yeah, the distinction being made in those tweets really doesn't mean much to me.

Also, what's wrong with flesh pit fuckhouses?
Sounds like fun.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Is there a huge difference there?

I wouldn't say so. The outcome is the same.
Amen. Both ways still boil down to EA creating the incentive their studios have to follow. That EA "came in and forced" their studio is the layman's reductive way of saying what is really happening: That being that EA are the ones laying down the business plan and obviously any subsidiary who can fit into that plan are hamstrung into doing so. I don't understand why Schreier wants to make a distinction there honestly. Last I heard the Star Wars Rag Tag game was also not shut down because it actually sucked, it was shut down because it wasn't far enough along... as a game "that did not fit EA's business plan" (quote Amy Hennig)

Further credence to BioWare having pitched Star Wars games and other things we never heard of, which ironically Jason himself also reported, so I don't get why this has to be up in the air.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just like Bungie, Bioware was given all the rope to hang themselves.

I NEED to know what happened. God I hope press sneak has a post mortem in the works. Anthem had to have been andromeda'd and restarted or re-scoped sometime in the past 2 years. The bugs give the impression it was rushed, but the absolute baffling design decisions, missing features, and poorly implemented systems scream of scrapping together what they had.
Gimme a bit.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I wish people would realize that not having an answer for 'What's your version of Ultimate Team' doesn't mean your game gets canceled, but it doesn't get the additional resources that a game with the potential for an evergreen future will get. If you have a plan for your game to continue to generate revenue post sale, then yeah...you'll get more resources than a title that's going to sell a copy and that's it.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also sure that most people at Bioware could just go to EA and ask for a hundred million dollars to make an Infinity Engine RPG, with turn based, choice based gameplay. But they just really wanted to make a barebones GAAS shlooter, because that's their true passion. The pitches presented by Bioware's management to the money people will always take into account what the money people will fund. That's why Anthem exists.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure the pressure is as subtle as he's making it out to be, but asking "Where's your Destiny?" or saying the studio needs to get on board with the corporate-wide GaaS initiative and figure out how to monetize their games past the initial point of sell is basically forcing them to make an online game. I mean, everyone knows what happens to EA studios that don't perform. Not that the people in charge of Bioware weren't interested in giving it a try, but I doubt there was zero pressure to do it.
This. They still have no choice. That's the best way to get long term revenue

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Ugh. GaaS can work. We have plenty of examples of it working. For people to condemn EA for attempting to chase GaaS while lamenting Bioware's roots is to impart a sense of nostalgia to a entity that shouldn't deserve it. What matters is the people, not the name of the company, or the brand. Like I don't understand, its been what 10 years since Bioware was brought out by EA? Why are we still imparting hatred on EA while mourning Bioware? Its just a company, created to generate money. If you want to criticize EA, do so, but don't act as if Bioware is a child tied to a abusive parent, as if you rescue them, its just a freaking brand and name.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Are any of those made by EA-owned studios, though, or have they just entered into a publishing relationship? I thought the teams that made A Way Out, Fe and Unravel were not part of the company.
you might be right that they're more a partnership than EA internally.
But frankly if EA is able to publish these titles, there's no reason no one could possibly make an incubator-like structure inside EA to foster these types of development.
Problem being that big studios like Bioware or Dice have gigantic budget and they may not want to see their budget cut YoY either.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
This post on the other hand. Imagine being this mad that people are so mean to EA to the point of orgasmic validation.
I couldn't care less about EA, I just find it hilarious that despite multiple devs telling reporters that they have complete control over their products/development process the same people suggest otherwise.