• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Where's your version of FIFA ultimate team?" isn't particularly subtle.
Yup, there is really only one way to take that, and it's basically saying where is your plan for long-term player engagement (i.e. multiplayer) and where is your monetization framework (i.e. cosmetic microtransactions). Those can have a negative impact on the experience.

That said, it's not like EA came in and said "make the loot boring, take out the stats screen, make the player go back to the hub after every mission". All of those more gameplay-focused design and content and progression systems are clearly on Bioware. But it takes two to tango.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gee what a surprise! All the people blaming ea were out of their minds. Bioware had 7 years to do this game right.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop blaming everything on a singular entity!!!!!!!!!! Nothing sources back to a single person holy shit

Why do media consumers consistently desire to do this

Fandom and cancel culture. People and organizations either gotta be good or bad for a lot of people. Having a fall guy can help with cognitive dissonance.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know how "you can do whatever you want as long as you show us your plan for reoccurring revenue" and "make a multiplayer focused GaaS game" are meaningfully different statements.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
They've been trying to get away from single-player rpgs and towards more action oriented games for a while now. I want to say since ME2. From the interviews they've given and posts on the old Bioware forums, it always seemed like they weren't satisfied with the audience they had and wanted to be the next big thing.
Yeah, as someone who enjoyed Dragon Age Origins PC I found their messaging refreshingly direct. They were not interested in making any more games like that.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People hear what they want to hear. It has been this way since the dawn of civilization.

Maybe one day Jason will do a piece on the dev hell of Anthem. And this time I assume Frostbite will not be the scapegoat.

I think the engine is the least of the game's problems. It may (or may not, tbh, I have no idea) contribute to the need for load screens and stuff, but the game is structurally bad. Core pillars of the design are just wrong, and there's a general extreme lack of content on top of that.

It may be true that the game existed in some form for 6 years, but I strongly suspect most of what is in the game was hastily slapped together over about a year. I believe that before that time the game hadn't really formed yet and maybe was still just a prototype. Literally nothing else can explain the state the game launched in, not only bereft of content but just lacking basic things like armor as loot and a stats screen

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, there is really only one way to take that, and it's basically saying where is your plan for long-term player engagement (i.e. multiplayer) and where is your monetization framework (i.e. cosmetic microtransactions). Those can have a negative impact on the experience.

That said, it's not like EA came in and said "make the loot boring, take out the stats screen, make the player go back to the hub after every mission". All of those more gameplay-focused design and content and progression systems are clearly on Bioware. But it takes two to tango.
Yeah. Even if EA actually did say "Make a Destiny clone", they never said "Make a bad Destiny clone". Bioware had all the time in the world to learn what works and what doesn't with these kinds of games and didn't for some reason.

That's all on them.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Is there a huge difference there?

I wouldn't say so. The outcome is the same.

This.

The thread title doesn't reflect Jason's tweets... like... at all.

"a lot of autonomy" is not the same as EA giving devs "autonomy".

Also, "Executive pressure is more subtle than "Make this game!" - it's resource maneuvering and "Where's your version of FIFA Ultimate Team?" is such a laughable defence for EA. I mean, they're funding the game and like we saw with what they did with Visceral, they will resource starve the shit out of your game if they can't see how it isn't going to be a lootbox/MT riddled mess AKA FIFA Ultimate Team. They're basically saying, "make what we want you to make or you'll get the smallest budget possible to complete your project"... how is that autonomy?

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018
Wow!!!!!! I can't believe it takes a fucking reporter to say what's been said by Bioware for months!!!!

It's almost as if working at EA isn't some flesh pit fuckhouse like you maggot mouths suggest!!!

This is it. The greatest thing I've read on Resetera. Someone who has completely lost their marbles over a crap game from a studio circling the drain. Fantastic.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
BioWare has autonomy guys. They are allowed creative input on what color the skins are that they sell through micro transactions.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If EA did force Bioware to make a game they didn't want to make, why would anyone from Bioware come out and say that?

There are aspects of my job I dislike because they're poorly organised and implemented, but I wouldn't tell our clients/customers that

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
wait...you are telling me Bioware and other studios under EA arent slaves to the might suit god?!

say it aint so

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
thats fine and all...but if they are so relaxed why force the use of a fucking engine that cant do rpgs? tahtsd fine that its a nice place to work at all oyu want, but theres a sleight of hand somewhere

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know how "you can do whatever you want as long as you show us your plan for reoccurring revenue" and "make a multiplayer focused GaaS game" are meaningfully different statements.

You can definitely make a GaaS game that isnt multiplayer focused as Ubisoft does with Assassin's Creed. ME3, Andromeda, and Inquisition even meet that criteria. They all had multiplayer but they were all still single player focused game with recurring revenue potential.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
thats fine and all...but if they are so relaxed why force the use of a fucking engine that cant do rpgs? tahtsd fine that its a nice place to work at all oyu want, but theres a sleight of hand somewhere

Bioware chose to use frostbite. The studio leads said it themselves. Just like the topic of the thread, which they themselves confirmed too years ago and people still don't believe.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some of the posts on here are just embarassing. Jason tweets this out and people bend over backwards to still try to make this about Ea being at fault.

Bioware chose to use frostbite. The studio leads said it themselves. Just like the topic of the thread, which they themselves confirmed too years ago and people still don't believe.
I feel like I'm living in a fake news town reading people contort their version of the truth into reality.

Like let it go, this was bioware not ea.

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
how long until we see an article that goes along the lines of "after Anthems release EA strips autonomy from Bioware" ?

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
This is it. The greatest thing I've read on Resetera. Someone who has completely lost their marbles over a crap game from a studio circling the drain. Fantastic.

It's less about Bioware and EA to me and more about consumers and their (well justified and reasonable at times) skepticism / doubt manifesting into erratic cage bashing

Like I said, I know better not to buy anything non-Dragon Age from Bioware after Andromeda put me in the hospital from it's garbage motion blur implementation but this forum has been super weird at using this game as the emblem of their displeasure of a publisher

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
"Now that we've slowly eroded the willpower of the leadership/replaced them, its their fault!" - The real statement (also see: numerous other similar comments by publishers about their devs) It's almost like it's a cycle.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
His follow-up tweet doesn't add up with the original. I'm not saying a gun is held to them, but it seems pretty heavily implied that GaaS fits their "make us money long term" pitch.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't trust bioware to make a good game in the future, assuming they're even given the opportunity.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Stop blaming everything on a singular entity!!!!!!!!!! Nothing sources back to a single person holy shit

Why do media consumers consistently desire to do this
Anthropomorphization of companies.

EA executive: Hmm, is our business model out of touch? - No! It's the creatives who are wrong!
Looking at financials, the recurring revenue model has been a proven success when everything goes as well as it should. Breaking records left and right compared to the older fire and forget Ryse/Order 1886 revenue model.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
None of this is surprising or new. Bioware has had shitty management for awhile now. It's like people forget that part of the reason that Andromeda was a mess was due to in-studio culture at Bioware.

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018
It's less about Bioware and EA to me and more about consumers and their (well justified and reasonable at times) skepticism / doubt manifesting into erratic cage bashing

Like I said, I know better not to buy anything non-Dragon Age from Bioware after Andromeda put me in the hospital from it's garbage motion blur implementation but this forum has been super weird at using this game as the emblem of their displeasure of a publisher

Hey Dragon Age is the only thing Bioware I have any interest left in, I'd be first in line to play a great new Dragon Age.
Anthem is used as an emblem because we see how one of the mightiest developers in the west has fallen so low, and this is in conjunction with one of the ugliest publishers. I'm a guy who agrees with most of what Jim Sterling says on the topic though, so we might be coming from different points of view.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Anyone that played Mass Effect 3 MP could probably tell Anthem was the next logical step for what they were interested in. Anthem is pretty pretty much an overhauled and revisioned version of that.

I would love to have another me3 mp experience. That was a fantastic thing and the reason why I played for more than 800 hours of me3. I'm sure a LOT of people would agree that it would be much better to what we have right now, even if the scale perhaps not as grandiose.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Why does it always seem like someone speaks up for the developers and everything was always their idea?

It was probably like this:

EA: "It would be a shame if a certain studio would have to close.. What we really need are these live service types of games, lots of microtransactions..."
Bioware: "*sigh* ... we have an idea for the live service game you demanded"
EA: "Congratulations, you may live... until the next time....."

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Never appreciated the Bioware founders more than I do now.

Whoever is making decisions at Bioware the past few years just keep making the wrong ones.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the vitriol against EA on this site is ridiculous
The thing is, theres PLENTY to hate on EA for. But stuff like a shitty loot system? Subpar weapon combat? How the fuck is that on EA? Oh they rushed the game? 7 year dev time is somehow rushed? Millions of dollars over that time not enough resources? Like its clear when EA stepts in with shitty monetization-but THIS? It never made sense to blame them and watching people still try to make this about EA is fucking crazy town. They need to get a grip and realize EA isn't at fault for all the world's problems.