• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I remembered E3 accounting for like 25% of their annual revenue or something like that?

Losing it MUST be a massive blow.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
While I do miss the magic of E3 week, I understand the stress it causes, and I'm cool with not having it

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
uFwOaXj.jpg

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Such a bummer. I'm really gonna miss E3 if it's gone forever. We don't really have anything else like it.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Xbox and Bethesda will have to create a direct like event 🤔

Not a big fan of the multi events during the summer period. Makes the shows less exciting.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Well when you have summer game fest and all the major players doing their own direct like presentations...there is 0 need for an actual E3.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
LONG

SPREAD OUT

OF

GAME ANNOUNCEMENTS

OVER

THE

SUMMER

LETS

FUCKING

GOOOOOOOOO!

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
Instead, we are getting multiple publishers streams *sigh* At least with E3 it was one pack collection.
This is a good thing IMHO. E3 is hectic. Too much going on at the same time. And this is as a consumer. Actually working at the convention sucks. I've seen the effect that has on industry people first hand.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Can't say I care much. I vastly prefer the Direct and State of Play style stuff these days. I did enjoy E3 years ago but I just feel that style isn't really needed anymore.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Such a bummer. I'm really gonna miss E3 if it's gone forever. We don't really have anything else like it.
I see a lot of people saying they aren't really bothered by this news but I am with you. I loved E3 time and miss the excitement around it. The 2020 drip feed of content over the course of the summer is the last thing I want again.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Fine by me. I prefer spread out, platform/publisher/developer specific events. Whether in person or virtual a huge dump of all of them over a few days is just too much to keep up with. Way easier to stay informed by spreading them out more like with Keighley's summer long thing. I'd much prefer sticking with that, along with things like Nintendo Directs, Sony State of Plays, Xbox Showcases etc. as needed throughout the year.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I don't get it, does this mean MS and Nintendo bailed and it was forced to be cancelled?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I miss the spectacle of watching E3, but it really only works as a physical event. Publishers have gotten good at doing their own digital presentations, and they're much cheaper to do than attending something like E3. A digital-only E3 kind of defeats the point of E3 at this point, imo. Can't say I'm sad about it being canceled.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
The drawn out announcements are kinda boring/I feel like it's actually easier for me to miss some smaller news that way since I'm not looking for it, but this is the way things were obviously heading and it's probably better for everyone involved.

Rather, if it had died (as it was already seeming it might) when it was still an in-person event, I would be sadder just because I'd lose out on some of the "everyone is actually in the same location" podcasts/videos from sites I like. But we already lost that.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Organizers really dropped the ball, huh? E3 used to be something really special and now it's dead.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
It was nice to have a solid week of shows/announcements and excitement. But the steady stream of news is also nice through the summer. Not sure which I prefer or how I feel about E3 going away.