Oct 27, 2017
More from Jez:

Clip:
www.youtube.com

✂️ PVP Game Segment (Wumpa League)

33 seconds · Clipped by Crashy News | 3WIREL · Original video "The Future of Xbox | Xbox Bethesda Showcase | Summer Game Fest | 5+ Xbox Exclusives - TXT 220"...
The Splatoon comparison is super interesting. I definitely interpret that as violence being a kind of "secondary" objective that contributes to a primary goal (covering the map with ink in Splatoon, gobbling up wumpa in this). Could be a really good way to inject some casual appeal into the project.

Also LOfuckingL at the overreaction to the new characters on the Crash sub. They don't know diddly-squat about this game and yet you'd think TfB smashed their PS1s, shattered their copies of Twinsanity, and threw their puppies into a meat grinder.
They legit take every single creative choice this studio makes as an attack on them.

Last edited:

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
All my mind keeps thinking is "is this why we never got Crash in Smash Ultimate?". I can totally see some Activision suit blocking a collaboration of a lifetime just to make a buck on a potential rip-off. Trying not to think up nonsense like this, but as soon as I think of Activision these days I just start assuming the worst things.

Welp, I guess I'd be excited to see more Crash, even if a brawler seems like the least interesting thing he could be in. I'm a major Crash Bandicoot fan but Crash 4 is genuinely one of my most hated entries in the series so I can't say I'm too keen on Toys for Bob being on the helm again, though the main problem of that game is level design so I guess that shouldn't be too hard to mess up in a brawler. Maybe this is my Crash Bash brain talking, but hopefully it's more akin to Power Stone or something like that and not another Smash clone, as way too many companies have seemed to jumped on that idea after Smash Ultimate dlc ended.

Oct 27, 2017
Also LOfuckingL at the overreaction to the new characters on the Crash sub. They don't know diddly-squat about this game and yet you'd think TfB smashed their PS1s, shattered their copies of Twinsanity, and threw their puppies into a meat grinder.
They legit take every single creative choice this studio makes as an attack on them.

To think there was overreaction to Rilla Roo's look in CTR to the point they redesigned him and created a second character slot for him.... yet as far as I recall, he was an original character created for Crash Bash.

Hell, same goes for Oxide, created for CTR, right?

People are shit.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
It is definitely not a Smash clone. Power Stone is maybe more apt, but it's not even really in that realm either. As Jez says in the quote above, it's a mix of a lot of things.
Oh, just watched the clip and uhm, huh? So it's a 4 player brawler that's also kinda like Splatoon with Overwatch-ish abilities where you collect wumpa? I actually just can't imagine at all what kind of game this is going to be going of that description, lol. Well, intrigued to see what it will be then.
To think there was overreaction to Rilla Roo's look in CTR to the point they redesigned him and created a second character slot for him.... yet as far as I recall, he was an original character created for Crash Bash.

People are shit.
Not sure what this new drama is, but as far as Rilla Roo was concerned, there was definitely no overreaction. They absolutely butchered Rilla Roo with that redesign and I can only commend the devs for actually going out of their way and add a fixed version of a fan favorite character the next patch after.

Man, I wish CTR:NF was still supported, what a absolutely fabulous remake it was. Sad a 60fps PC rerelease never happened.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, just watched the clip and uhm, huh? So it's a 4 player brawler that's also kinda like Splatoon with Overwatch-ish abilities where you collect wumpa? I actually just can't imagine at all what kind of game this is going to be going of that description, lol. Well, intrigued to see what it will be then.

Not sure what this new drama is, but as far as Rilla Roo was concerned, there was definitely no overreaction. They absolutely butchered Rilla Roo with that redesign and I can only commend the devs for actually going out of their way and add a fixed version of a fan favorite character the next patch after.

Man, I wish CTR:NF was still supported, what a absolutely fabulous remake it was. Sad a 60fps PC rerelease never happened.
Regardless, they're new characters originating outside of a mainline game. We should EXPECT it, not shun it. Seems silly.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless, they're new characters originating outside of a mainline game. We should EXPECT it, not shun it. Seems silly.
What? Some people still grew up with these characters. Mainline or not, if the redesigned character doesn't even resemble the character it's supposed to be, there's enough reason to complain about it, especially in a remake that already did such a good job on fateful redesigns. Sidegame or mainline, all these returning characters should be respected with the same level of quality, all properly remade like CTR did or properly redesigned like Crash 4 did. Making exceptions just because a character might've only appeared in a sidegame is just disrespectful towards that character and the fans of that character/game.

edit: Oh wait, you're referring to brand new characters now. I misinterpret your message, sorry.

Oct 27, 2017
What? Some people still grew up with these characters. Mainline or not, if the redesigned character doesn't even resemble the character it's supposed to be, there's enough reason to complain about it, especially in a remake that already did such a good job on fateful redesigns. Sidegame or mainline, all these returning characters should be respected with the same level of quality, all properly remade like CTR did or properly redesigned like Crash 4 did. Making exceptions just because a character might've only appeared in a sidegame is just disrespectful towards that character and the fans of that character/game.
I think you misunderstood me. I meant that new characters are introduced in these mainline games all the time, so no one should be "overreacting" to new characters in this potential new one.

I was pointing out that Rilla being from a Crash Bash, not the original trilogy, was still getting support from fans and the devs and yet here we are reading about this regarding a new batch of characters.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
I think you misunderstood me. I meant that new characters are introduced in these mainline games all the time, so no one should be "overreacting" to new characters in this potential new one.

I was pointing out that Rilla being from a Crash Bash, not the original trilogy, was still getting support from fans and the devs and yet here we are reading about this regarding a new batch of characters.
Yeah, looking through the reddit stuff now. Well, in regards to Rilla, fans only really started to love him after Crash Bash. I'm sure at the time everyone was confused about the dumb monkey being in that game, now that Crash Bash is a cult classic, so became the only unique character from that game. As far as I remember new Crash characters regularly got raised eyebrows on reveal. I'd almost say that it's kind of a tradition with iconic platform characters in general that new characters gets meet with harsh reactions, either their design has to be outstanding or the game itself will redeem the character later.

Not saying that this is a logical response of course, but to me at least this seems like the expected response for sure. Of course this kind of stuff is extra rough considering everyone seems to be reacting to a single leaked half-picture, so the devs really haven't had the chance to properly showcase the new characters. That said though, having this picture seemingly prominently showcasing half the roster being brand new characters in a series filled to the brim with iconic characters, well, it's definitely seems like a sure way to upset some of the bigger fans. Again, not saying this is how people should respond, but with it being the only thing available thing to react to, the response doesn't seem out of the ordinary at all tbh. Just another unfortunate side effects of having leaks like this.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021

People are shit.
Yes, Oxide was created for CTR. Most of the spin-offs add at least one new character to bolster the roster. It's how the mobile games got representation in Nitro-Fueled's roster, because people remembered Yaya Panda and wanted her in.