• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/job/562303/Senior-Systems-Designer

Requirements:

• 7+ years working in a senior or higher design capacity on AAA titles.
  • Familiarity with RPG and Shooter game mechanics.
  • Ability to learn proprietary toolsets and proven record of scripting/implementing within them.
  • A working knowledge of industry standard game engines, design toolsets, scripting languages and production pipelines.
  • Experienced manager and mentor.

Kudos to Oluasc

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
A Halo themed Destiny type game with dedicated servers is my dream game. Of course there are a ton of people that don't want to see them go that route, but I feel 343 could make the gold standard fpsmmorpg.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything is kind of a RPG these days.

But I gotta admit Halo becoming a Destiny-like would be funny.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I know people knock games with light RPG elements and how it's a trendy thing to add to every game but I'll be damned if I don't always enjoy them.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I am not surprised.
I won't even be surprised if there was a mini stealth section which plays like prey or colonial Marines stealth (short, no disrespect intended)

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Not everything needs rpg shit thrown all over it, and especially not fps. But I mean, I'm totally OK with it.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm not surprised. If you look at Halo 5's campaign with the world hubs. It certainly seems like they wanted to do something RPG like with quests and towns, but it seems like a huge swath of things got cut, as things tend to do in game development. No one can know, but it seems like they ended up deciding to go back to a more traditional campaign for 5 and maybe they are putting those things back into 6. I hope the multiplayer still feels somewhat similar to 5 though. It is still hands down my favorite console multiplayer FPS.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
I think what they're trying to do is to improve and to upgrade the existing mechanics; and I'm OK with that. If they repeat themselves or simply copy and paste mechanics from prior games, a big part of the community will destroy the game for lack of innovation. They are adapting to times, as they should. Let's just hope that it all pays off by the time the game comes out---which is far from anytime soon.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
They can change up the campaign as much as they want. I lost interest in that mission structure and story since Reach.

The multiplayer is what I truly care about.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to prolong playing time you either do RPG elements (levels/skilltrees/loot/grinding) or variations of a versus mode. Halo already had one and being an AAA game in 2020(?), it sounds reasonable it might try to succeed with the other as well. That's how the AAA live service model works.

Hope it isn't true though.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
As long as its just in the campaign like having armor have a function or diff attachments on weapons being more then cosmetic but keep it out of mp or at most warzone

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
to be a truly modern game, it will need crafting as well.

So you want health packs back huh?

tumblr_mbuar5chK01ridkofo3_250.gif

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I'll with-hold judgement, I'm excited for the next Halo right now and this doesn't dissuade anything, love seeing a developer try some new things, but I will say that I thought Doom proved that sometimes just going old-school works if it's executed well. I'd like to see Halo have a Doom 2016 moment and just blow everyone away.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They can change up the campaign as much as they want. I lost interest in that mission structure and story since Reach.

The multiplayer is what I truly care about.
Not that I've lost interest in previous Halo campaigns, but I too am ready for something radically different should they choose to go another route. Multiplayer is where they need to remain conservative with its core traditional design, unless they create separate modes to mess around with like Warzone.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Halo has always been an RPG.

It's a game where you play the role of Master Chief.

Sometimes.