• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2020

more contest
edit:
I just read this while looking this up in relation to the One X...

" Microsoft set aside 1 GB of ram so the dashboard could be 4k but the game devs said they could use that 1 GB for games so Microsoft made the decision to do 1080p dash and let the game devs have the extra GB to use."

This allows games to use more RAM rather than taking up performance/memory for a higher resolution UI.

That actually sounds like a big positive. I'll take a 1080p UI if it means better performance/resources.

If it eats into resources, for no real gain, it's a smart move. I wouldn't have thought it has that big of a cost though....so it's interesting.

cantbebothered You could add in the OP that it may be a resources saver (how much I don't know), using the example above.

Last edited:

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
What? That's weird... I think he might be mistaken. He also said there would be no ray-tracing games at the Series X launch day before, when there are going to be multiple (Watch Dogs Legion and Black Ops Cold War, to name a few.)

Jeff Grubb , Samred , Dark1x, Dictator can you confirm?

Edit: Seems to be corroborated by Austin Evans and Tom Warren. I didn't really notice the difference using my One X -- I wonder how this will impact performance on the system.

Last edited:

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds like an error, there's NO WAY their UI is not native 4K...right?

Series S is one thing, but the X is the full package and should reflect that.

FaviousM

Aug 20, 2020
That's weird... Also, never noticed any issue with the X1X ui being 1080p sooooooooo I guess it wont be an issue for me anyway

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe some pre-release shenanigans?

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Come on Microsoft, that is unacceptable when the selling point is 4K to begin with.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Oh the humanity....

I don't care, never noticed a difference between 1080p and 4k with PS4Pro on my 4k TV

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
The one x is the same so if they are using the same ui then I guess that was going to happen.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's gotta be mistaken. I could've sworn this has been confirmed several times that the UI will be in 4K.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever, I stare at it for like 2 seconds before booting a game. Put it in glorious 480p for all I care

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I couldn't care less.
It's just a launcher.

Actual allocated resources to games is more important.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
That's got to be something they fix. I expect that kind of business from Nintendo, but MS has no excuse for that.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
It might just be the case that the prototype unit they have in studio is restricted to 1080p. I doubt Microsoft will lack native 4K UI support.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
4K on PS5. Nice, another win for the good guys!
yXmosri.gif

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
This was and is my biggest complaint about Xbox One X and is 100% inexcusable it persists on Series X.

Disapointing. Absolutely BLURRY TEXT + ICONS on a 4K display. Gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.