• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who would you be least angry about buying WB Games?

• Microsoft

Votes: 1,992 67.0%
  • Activision

Votes: 149 5.0%
  • EA

Votes: 137 4.6%
  • Take-two

Votes: 693 23.3%

• Total voters

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
Speaking of Xcloud+Gamepass.. how many new subs could it possibly bring?

there are around 2.5billion Android devices. Would it be reasonable to think that between 1% to 5% of these users would get Xcloud + Gamepass? That is an additional 25 million+ subs..

We could have the scenario where Gamepass has more users than there are Xbox hardware.

yeah, Gamepass has the potential to bring in crazy amounts of revenue per month/year to Xbox division. Buying more devs in order to provide a more constant stream of high quality titles is a no brainer for the possibilities of Gamepass..

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
A good part is still tribalism, if a thread was opened that Sony purchased WB I can guaranty you it would be overwhelmingly positive even though the would almost certainly lock all of the IP's to their platform
But is it weird?
Just look what both teams delivered in this generation and you understand why people would be positive about Sony but not positive about Microsoft.
Also, Rocksteady games are more popular on PS because they have marketing deals for Batman. The same situation with Mortal Kombat.

But... WB is for sale. Microsoft is interested buy Sony not. So no one should be angry about potential any buyout.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I agree It's clear if you want to become the Netflix/Disney of games you need IPs and Studios and right now with publishers and studios being cheap as they are, right now is the best time for acquisitions of studios and publishers.

This is the most compelling reason for what otherwise seems like a pretty uncompelling purchase for Microsoft (at least at the kind of money WB wants).

If Microsoft's long term plan for Game Pass is to eventually have it almost-entirely lean on internal content that they control and don't have to license, then they will want to scoop up more studios when the opportunity presents itself. Especially if those studios could wind up in the hands of a publisher with a competitor service to Game Pass, like EA has.

If the Game Pass-style model really takes off, you're going to see more publishers hoard their own content to give their platforms unique value - sort of like how every movie studio seems to have their own streaming service planned these days. In that situation, it would be imperative for Microsoft to be self-sufficient content-wise.

But of course, every new studio you buy, also increases operating costs. Not just in the initial purchase, but in the week-to-week costs. I'm not going to pretend I really understand all of the business considerations Microsoft would be making here.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
But is it weird?
Just look what both teams delivered in this generation and you understand why people would be positive about Sony but not positive about Microsoft.
Also, Rocksteady games are more popular on PS because they have marketing deals for Batman. The same situation with Mortal Kombat.

But... WB is for sale. Microsoft is interested buy Sony not. So no one should be angry about potential any buyout.
Sony putting games on PC with a 3-year delay makes me prefer in this case in particular. Imagine Mortal Kombat 12 being PS5 exclusive for 3 years :( No thank you.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But is it weird?

Are we talking about how they treat their employees? Or taking the banal "but my games" look here?

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
This is the most compelling reason for what otherwise seems like a pretty uncompelling purchase for Microsoft (at least at the kind of money WB wants).

If Microsoft's long term plan for Game Pass is to eventually have it almost-entirely lean on internal content that they control and don't have to license, then they will want to scoop up more studios when the opportunity presents itself. Especially if those studios could wind up in the hands of a publisher with a competitor service to Game Pass, like EA has.

If the Game Pass-style model really takes off, you're going to see more publishers hoard their own content to give their platforms unique value - sort of like how every movie studio seems to have their own streaming service planned these days. In that situation, it would be imperative for Microsoft to be self-sufficient content-wise.

But of course, every new studio you buy, also increases operating costs. Not just in the initial purchase, but in the week-to-week costs. I'm not going to pretend I really understand all of the business considerations Microsoft would be making here.

This depends on whether that publisher can sustain a service like Game Pass. In that case expect smaller publishers to be gobbled up. The difference between Movies/TV and Gaming industries is that the movies/TV industry has already been consolidated with big companies owning the majority of the industry before Netflix. The gaming industry is not like that at the moment.

But MS looks like to be making some moves.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
As a ps5 future owner and fan of batman series (also buying all mortal kombat after price drop) I wouldn't be happy if microsoft would buy wb games (will probably consider to buy not only ps5 but also xbox then)

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But is it weird?

It's hypocritical and contradictory, not necessarily weird. Can't act on principal regarding MS buyout then hand-wave that when it's your preferred first party, means your initial stance isn't about ethical concerns it's your objection towards MS, using ethics as a proxy and arguing in bad faith. Your preference on company's game output dictating when to apply the contradiction isnt a valid point either. In terms of which company has more options for consumers to access their games now and into the future it's quite obvious.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
It's hypocritical and contradictory, not necessarily weird. Can't act on principal regarding MS buyout then hand-wave that when it's your preferred first party, means your initial stance isn't about ethical concerns it's your objection towards MS, using ethics as a proxy and arguing in bad faith. Your preference on company's game output dictating when to apply the contradiction isnt a valid point either. In terms of which company has more options for consumers to access their games now and into the future it's quite obvious.
Objection? Lol.
I only look at first-party line-up of both sides. Look is clear.
You dont know what options Sony will have in future so no, it isn't obvious.

Ofc what we know Sony isnt interested in WB purchase so its only hypothetical talk.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
agreed.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I agree, I think people's opinion on MS have greatly improved in the last few years.

A good part is still tribalism, if a thread was opened that Sony purchased WB I can guaranty you it would be overwhelmingly positive even though the would almost certainly lock all of the IP's to their platform
The irony is strong in this post

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Objection? Lol.

Ofc what we know Sony isnt interested in WB purchase so its only hypothetical talk.
We can make reasonable assumptions based on how each have currently pivoted themselves, and what thier intentions are for the future. MS have committed to PC release parity of all first party titles, cross play/saves with everyone within the eco system, greater steam support and encourage customers to play away from thier consoles. That's happening right now, so it is obvious how open one wants to be compared to competition, and why they'd be better suited to acquire these studios compared to the other manufacturers.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
If someone is going to buy them I would prefer if it was Take Two. I expect them to keep the structure largely intact.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Objection? Lol.

Sony's looking at Leyou (Digital Extremes, Splash Damage, Certain Affinity, Radiance Games, Kingmaker, Athlon Games) presumably to shore up on their lacking multiplayer focused software front. Notably some of those devs are also key contractors for Xbox Game Studios on Halo and Gears.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Wonder is Google is interested? This would give them an instant first party studio network. I guess it depends how all-in on Stadia Google really is, still feels like they're only dipping their toe in the water at the moment.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if MS would be interested in just buying Monolith since they're right around the corner in WA.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
MS owning NetherRealm would be interesting if they could get them to work on Killer Instinct.
Why do people keep saying this? Why do people want this? KI and NRS fighters play totally different to one another. What makes people think NRS is capable of developing Killer Instinct and not just MK/Injustice with KI characters?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people keep saying this? Why do people want this? KI and NRS fighters play totally different to one another. What makes people think NRS is capable of developing Killer Instinct and not just MK/Injustice with KI characters?
I think MK vs KI would be the franchise crossover that NRS could do in their NRS version. Iron Galaxy or some other studio could do a KI vs MK years afterwards in the KI way.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
I would be ok with them directing the story side of things...but please stay away from gameplay.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I feel for WB employees. The publishing arm isn't the only area that will get restructured. There's a lot of head count. Lot of inefficiencies. Lack of prediction in terms of how studios will perform without existing IPs.

It won't be Microsoft. They can afford it. That's not the issue. Neither is the current revenue of the Xbox division. They have a much bigger vision for Xbox in the future. Issue is that WB is a poor value to Xbox based on their strategy and needs. Too big of a publishing arm. Not enough IP they own. Too many smaller studios scattered throughout the world and not in proximity of their hubs. Microsoft's strategy is to use Game Pass, PC and Xcloud to build up mindshare of IPs they own and can monetize beyond gaming. Buying a company to only then hatchet it has been against Nadella's philosophy and it would be weird to start with WB.

Honestly I don't believe that the entire WB purchase makes sense for any of the publishers. I believe ATT will have to create different bundles and eventually shut down whatever they can't sell.
When this was first reported Microsoft wasn't among the interested parties a month ago. Now they are in the running. Microsoft sees value here so you have made some miscalculation in what their priorities are.

Frankly everything you said is valid so I'm not sure why MS is interested but if I was to guess I think they would continue to operate the WB IP's as multiplatform like Minecraft. But setting aside Mortal Kombat and Batman I think securing exclusivity makes a ton more sense for any studio investment.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
MS owning NetherRealm would be interesting if they could get them to work on Killer Instinct.

I do not want NRS anywhere near KI. Maybe for a crossover with MK but developing a standalone KI game, NO Thank you!

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know but it's definitely a theme here, the thought of NRS building a new KI makes my stomach churn..they're a great group of people but I just cannot fathom KI with that type of gameplay and animation..nor would I want to. I'm guessing it's as simple as 'well they're a fighting game developer' and because NRS is given a massive budget for MK the production quality is hard to ignore and the games sell like Call of Duty.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously who the hell wants Killer Instinct with those MK animations ffs

Oct 27, 2017
Whoever it is better give me a Thundercats game. Whether it's a Tcats X He-man hero fighter or a Horizon like open world on Third Earth, I don't care. Just give me!

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
MS don't actually have a fighting game developer so it's just that really, they would fit in nicely on that empty chair I think. But even if they wouldn't make the game they could still be a useful resource, like how Turn 10 help Playground make the Horizon games.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Tbh all of them are a good choice. Because what will happen when they dont sell it s gonna much worse for the devs.
Not selling is probably the best outcome possible for the team. The unit is not a money sink, if it doesn't get sold it's not shutting down.

AT&T wants the cash, but if they can't get the cash they want things will go along just as they have been.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno..maybe cause every single fighting game they've made since 2004 has used the exact same basic animation and gameplay philosophy?

True, but those are their own IPs from scratch made with their own style. I would expect/hope if they were to pick up an existing IP with it's own gameplay conventions and feel they would be savvy enough to try to stay true to those.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
When this was first reported Microsoft wasn't among the interested parties a month ago. Now they are in the running. Microsoft sees value here so you have made some miscalculation in what their priorities are.

Frankly everything you said is valid so I'm not sure why MS is interested but if I was to guess I think they would continue to operate the WB IP's as multiplatform like Minecraft. But setting aside Mortal Kombat and Batman I think securing exclusivity makes a ton more sense for any studio investment.

I can be completely wrong. I'm making assumptions based on info I know....which is a lot less than the execs. So who knows. Maybe they see all those support studios replacing the outsourcing. Maybe they have a bold plan to evolve their internal support studios. On the surface, I see 3 talented studios, 1 major IP and a lot of employees who don't fit needs. Doesn't make sense for 4 billion dollars.

Microsoft's current biggest gap in turning Game Pass into the Netflix of gaming is more tent-pole IPs with mainstream mindshare and more creatives. You need high level artists, writers, lead designers, etc to successfully reboot IPs or make new ones. Otherwise you need major IPs that have established foundation. You can fill in gaps of developers/coders through outsourcing.

It just seems like with buying WB, you get a small proportion of creatives to overall headcount and not much in the way if IP. But again...I don't know what the Xbox vision of the future is for structure and processes.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
I hope microsoft strikes a deal for the WB ip's as well. LOTR series along with harry potter and mad max will be an awesome addon to xbox family.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
True, but those are their own IPs from scratch made with their own style. I would expect/hope if they were to pick up an existing IP with it's own gameplay conventions and feel they would be savvy enough to try to stay true to those.
Yeah I hear you, of course I'd hope they would 'start from scratch', do all the right things, consult with Ken Lobb, KI fgc guys etc.. My concern is KI's mechanics, animation, gameplay, meta are just so fundamentally different from MK (and every fighter NRS has done the past 16 years) that I'm not sure they are even capable of doing KI justice...even if they are willing and get the huge budget they do for MK.

Not to mention all of NRS fighters sell like hot cakes so it's not like they think they're doing anything 'wrong'.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I hear you, of course I'd hope they would 'start from scratch', do all the right things, consult with Ken Lobb, KI fgc guys etc.. My concern is KI's mechanics, animation, gameplay, meta are just so fundamentally different from MK (and every fighter NRS has done the past 16 years) that I'm not sure they are even capable of doing KI justice...even if they are willing and get the huge budget they do for MK.

Not to mention all of NRS fighters sell like hot cakes so it's not like they think they're doing anything 'wrong'.

I'm more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt in this hypoyhethical situation after some of the huge improvements they have made over the years. They were still selling in big numbers with ugly models with "NRS face" and and horrible netcode, but are near top of class there for both now. I have my gripes about NRS, but I think they are capable. My concern would be if they were bought out and asked to work on a fighter that wasn't their original game if they would want to, but they wouldn't really have much choice in that case.

Last edited:

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
Apologies if this has been brought up already but AT&T owners of Time Warner release their Q2 results on July 23 the same date as the Xbox games reveal.

Coincidence or is there something in this?

about.att.com

AT&T to Release Second-Quarter 2020 Earnings on July 23

The company's second-quarter 2020 results will be announced on Thursday, July 23 with a conference call to follow.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Apologies if this has been brought up already but AT&T owners of Time Warner release their Q2 results on July 23 the same date as the Xbox games reveal.

Coincidence or is there something in this?

about.att.com

AT&T to Release Second-Quarter 2020 Earnings on July 23

The company's second-quarter 2020 results will be announced on Thursday, July 23 with a conference call to follow.
Its a coincidence for sure, I highly doubt we will hear about WB games until a buyer has been found or not been found by the internal deadline for the sale.

bickieditches

Aug 5, 2018
Speaking of Xcloud+Gamepass.. how many new subs could it possibly bring?

there are around 2.5billion Android devices. Would it be reasonable to think that between 1% to 5% of these users would get Xcloud + Gamepass? That is an additional 25 million+ subs..

We could have the scenario where Gamepass has more users than there are Xbox hardware.

yeah, Gamepass has the potential to bring in crazy amounts of revenue per month/year to Xbox division. Buying more devs in order to provide a more constant stream of high quality titles is a no brainer for the possibilities of Gamepass..

C'mon man how is 1% of 5% of all Android users on Xcloud + Gamepass reasonable? It's one thing to download an app but to assume a constant subscription for even 1% of all Android devices? No way...try 0.05 - 0.10% instead.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
MS is like. Discount on Azure AT&T? :P

news.microsoft.com

AT&T and Microsoft announce a strategic alliance to deliver innovation with cloud, AI and 5G - Stories

Multiyear collaboration will accelerate AT&T’s “public cloud first” internal transformation and deliver new customer offerings built on AT&T’s network and Microsoft’s cloud DALLAS and REDMOND, Wash. — July 17, 2019 — AT&T Communications and Microsoft Corp. are embarking on an extensive...
lol