• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
The Ace Attorney Community Thread

Ace Attorney has been around for 16 years and ten games now, even if not all of them have made it stateside, and that's to say nothing of the movie, anime, manga, musicals, plays, novels, and restaurant tie-ins.

The Ace Attorney Community OT is a place for long-time fans of the series and newcomers alike to discuss the games and their related media.

Since this is a plot-heavy series, try and avoid posting open major spoilers for the games, especially any newly-released or Japanese-only entries.

If you aren't familiar with them, the Ace Attorney games are a series of mystery visual novel/adventure games with a heavy focus on the law. As Phoenix (or Apollo or Athena or Mia or Edgeworth or Ryuunosuke or...) you'll speak to people and investigate the crime scene in a semi point-and-click style, and then confront witnesses in court by looking for contradictions between their statements and the evidence you're carrying. It might sound a bit dry, but the series' humor, well-written characters, gorgeous animations, and pulse-pounding music combine to make it a one-of-a-kind experience.

Games in the series:

The original trilogy
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (dir. Shu Takumi, 2001) kicked off the series, and introduced the world to the Ace Attorney himself. As Phoenix sets out on his legal career, he'll cross paths with perfect prosecutor Miles Edgeworth, learn from his mentor Mia Fey, and kick off a legendary partnership with Mia's sister Maya.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All (dir. Shu Takumi, 2002) picks up a year later. With Edgeworth gone from the prosecutor's office, Phoenix finds himself crossing swords with Edgeworth's sister, whip-happy prosecutor Franziska von Karma, and learns more about the Fey clan with the help of Maya's cousin Pearl.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (dir. Shu Takumi, 2004) serves as the culmination of the first three games, bringing us back in time to see how Mia got her start and introducing shadowy prosecutor Godot in the present. Phoenix'll need everything he's learned these past two years to uncover the truth.

Where can you play them? These days, the easiest way to play is the 3DS trilogy collection, available on the eShop. You can also track down the original games on DS. There's an iOS version as well, but it suffers from some serious porting issues and isn't recommended except as a last resort.

The Apollo trilogy(?)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (written by Shu Takumi, 2007) is the oddball of the series. Jumping forward seven years from AA3, this game features greenhorn attorney Apollo Justice as the protagonist, with rockstar prosecutor Klavier Gavin stepping up to serve as rival and Klavier's brother Kristoph as mentor. But it's mysterious magician Trucy Wright and her father, ex-attorney Phoenix, who'll shape Apollo's path...

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (dir. Takeshi Yamazaki, 2013) came about after several years away from the main series. Phoenix regains his badge and the spotlight as psychologist-attorney Athena Cykes joins the agency alongside Apollo, and the firm faces down the "Twisted Samurai" Simon Blackquill in court.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (dir. Takeshi Yamazaki, 2016) takes the series abroad as Phoenix travels to the country of Khura'in to reunite with Maya. Meanwhile, Apollo takes point on cases back home, and encounters a ghost from his past in the form of international prosecutor Nahyuta Sahdmadhi.

Where can you play them? Apollo Justice was originally released on the DS, but there's no reason to track that version down these days. All three games are available on 3DS (Apollo Justice will be released in November 2017) and mobile. Unlike the original trilogy, the mobile ports are incredibly solid and in some cases even surpass the 3DS originals.

Ace Attorney Investigations
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (dir. Takeshi Yamazaki, 2009) was released after mixed reception to Apollo Justice and takes place just after AA3. Edgeworth takes center stage when he finds himself on the tail of an international crime syndicate, with self-proclaimed "Great Thief" Kay Faraday and detective Dick Gumshoe lending him a hand; meanwhile, Interpol cop Shi-Long Lang doesn't take well to a prosecutor in his crime scenes.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (dir. Takeshi Yamazaki, 2011) was the first (and sadly not last) game in the series to never see a western release. When Edgeworth solves an attempted presidential assassination, he finds himself in the middle of a web of intrigue that goes all the way back to his father Gregory - and with pressure from judge Justine Courtney, he'll have to decide if he really wants to keep walking the prosecutor's path. A full fan translation is available.

Where can you play them? Both games were originally released for the Nintendo DS, but AAI1 was released on iOS and Android as well in December 2017 and AAI2 the following spring. As AAI2 was never released stateside, you'll need a fan translation patch to enjoy it in English.

The Great Ace Attorney
The Great Ace Attorney: The Adventure of Ryuunsouke Naruhodou (dir. Shu Takumi, 2015) brings the series to Meiji Japan, as Phoenix's ancestor Ryuunosuke begins walking the path of a defense attorney with the help of assistant Susato Mikotoba. And when his studies take him to London, he crosses paths with the Grim Reaper of the Old Bailey - prosecutor Barok van Zieks - and the Great Detective himself, Sherlock Holmes.

The Great Ace Attorney 2: The Resolve of Ryuunsouke Naruhodou (dir. Shu Takumi, 2017) serves as a direct continuation of the first game. Set just a few months later, Ryuunsouke, Holmes and Susato quickly realize their previous cases were just the beginning of something greater - a darkness that goes all the way to the heart of London's justice system.

Where can you play them? Both games are for the 3DS and mobile, and both are Japan exclusive. A YouTube translation of the first game is complete and progressing through the second game, while a full fan translation for the first game is in progress.

The oddballs
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
(dir. Akihiro Hino and Shu Takumi, 2012) serves as a crossover between Ace Attorney and the Professor Layton series. Layton, Luke, Phoenix, and Maya are transported to a medieval city when they try to help a mysterious girl named Espella, and soon Phoenix finds himself in a very literal witch trial...

Ghost Trick (dir. Shu Takumi, 2010) isn't actually an Ace Attorney game at all, but it shares quite a bit of staff with the original trilogy. Sunglasses-wearing, scarlet-suited, quick-thinking Sissel serves as the hero here in this mystery puzzle game, with just one little problem: he's already dead. With the help of police trainee Lynne, Sissel has until dawn to find his killer, uncover the truth, and save just about everyone he meets from dying one way or another.

Where can you play them? Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright is exclusive to the 3DS (and ports are unlikely due to the rights being in an awkward place between Capcom, Level-5, and Nintendo.) Ghost Trick is available on the original DS or iOS (no Android port, unfortunately.)

---------------------------------------------

Hold it! What the heck order am I supposed to play these in?

Generally speaking, release order is best! Excluding the oddballs and Japanese-only games, that's:
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice

...That said, you can skip Investigations if need be - later games don't really refer to it (or its sequel). But the more of the series you can play, the more you'll appreciate it!

---------------------------------------------

Please give me everything I need to know about Ace Attorney in four minutes and twenty-nine seconds regardless of language barrier

absolutely, here you go:

Resources:

Court-Records: The longest-running English Ace Attorney fansite out there. In addition to information about the games, sprite rips and other media, and forums, it's got a dedicated news source for AA. And no I'm not just talking it up because I used to help run it

The Ace Attorney Wiki: Great for looking up quick bits about the series, but be warned, there is no spoiler demarcation on the site besides general warnings, and they tend to put major spoilers in the leads of articles. Never visit articles related to games you haven't played if you want to avoid spoilers. Otherwise, they're a great resource.

The Capcom Community Thread: For general Capcom discussion on ResetERA.

---------------------------------------------------------

I won't have time to finish this OT for a bit but there was no way in hell I was passing up the chance to name it this. Apollo forever

Also if anyone has any semblance of graphic design skills, knock yourselves out

Also also to celebrate please enjoy this official skit of Phoenix meeting Ryuunosuke that was released last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGQ7OEXG4oM

Last edited:
OP
OP
GSR

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Just bumping to keep this visible for anyone looking for the AA community thread. OT is still a work in progress!

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder where they go next. Wish they'd bring the ones still only in Japan over too, of course.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing the DLC case in AA6 right now.

Took me a while but I finally caught up with the series (except for the Investigations games, those are up next).

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea community threads were a thing in 'the other place' since I only go to the gaming subforum. In any case, I'm glad to be here!

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I've played all the localized ones I keep falling behind on all the ports being done. I'd hate to recommend a bad one if they keep botching these so I was just wondering which versions were ported well?

Also also to celebrate please enjoy this official skit of Phoenix meeting Ryuunosuke that was released last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGQ7OEXG4oM

Woah, thanks. Never would've seen this without OP. It's so nice to hear the VAs all the way through and now playing the games will always be missing something for me T_T

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Just working through the last case on Spirit of Justice now. How is the DLC case? Does it compare to AA5's excellent DLC case?

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
latest

court is now in session, friends

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing Spirit of Justice; this series defines "gaming confort food" for me; makes me feel warm, welcomed and at peace.

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Is the rerelease of Apollo Justice mentioned in the OT the next/latest thing for EN Ace Attorney? I haven't been paying attention since SoJ.

Mistle

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Should I go back and finish Prosecutor's Path if I've forgotten most of the story thread throughout other chapters? I'd be restarting the chapter where the
theif gets amnesia

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Hello!! :) Really stoked to finally be in Reset.

Really stoked to talk Ace Attorney with some other big fans of the series yet again! Amazing OP, GSR!

Just working through the last case on Spirit of Justice now. How is the DLC case? Does it compare to AA5's excellent DLC case?

I really liked it. I feel like the DLC case in Dual Destinies might have been a little less obvious, but I loved the return of a bunch of old characters in the SoJ case. A really cool atmosphere, too :)

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing the DLC case in AA6 right now.

Took me a while but I finally caught up with the series (except for the Investigations games, those are up next).

Should I go back and finish Prosecutor's Path if I've forgotten most of the story thread throughout other chapters? I'd be restarting the chapter where the
theif gets amnesia
I highly, highly recommend Prosecutor's Path for both of you! But that's just me. Honestly, I found it way better than the first one. Super fun and entertaining. And great music too.

If you don't remember much of the story, it's not overly complicated! I would just read online up to where you are now just to sorta give yourself a refresher!

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Great OT! Ace Attorney is one of the few series I replay and rebuy whenever possible. Here's to AA7!

theif gets amnesia

I took a year+ break form AI/PP and it was kind of hard to get back into it, since a lot of it was connected. I'd recommend reading a synopsis of previous cases/events before jumping back in.

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still eagerly waiting the AA7 announcement :'( Maybe they're focusing on DGS2 stuff right now or something?

OP
OP
GSR

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still eagerly waiting the AA7 announcement :'( Maybe they're focusing on DGS2 stuff right now or something?

Well, DGS2 was only out this last August, and Takumi took a vacation afterwards. AA6 was probably Yamazaki's last AA game, and Eshiro was working on DGS2, so my guess is that AA7 hasn't really started development yet. But Eshiro did tease it at TGS by saying he'd like to see a new AA as part of the 16th anniversary year (e.g. 2018).

We'll probably hear about it at TGS next year.

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Well, DGS2 was only out this last August, and Takumi took a vacation afterwards. AA6 was probably Yamazaki's last AA game, and Eshiro was working on DGS2, so my guess is that AA7 hasn't really started development yet. But Eshiro did tease it at TGS by saying he'd like to see a new AA as part of the 16th anniversary year (e.g. 2018).

We'll probably hear about it at TGS next year.
Fingers crossed! Thanks for the breakdown btw. Really appreciate it :) didn't hear about that hint!

The Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played these games since I finished Spirit of Justice about a year ago. I need to fix that. How is the DLC case compared to the others?

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played these games since I finished Spirit of Justice about a year ago. I need to fix that. How is the DLC case compared to the others?

The SoJ DLC case? I really enjoyed the premise/atmosphere of it. Lots of old characters make an appearance too, which is great. It's not all that challenging of a case, though. I think with DD's DLC case, it was a little harder to figure out who did it. I'd still recommend it tho, personally :)

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
theif gets amnesia

Ha, that's the same point I got up to before getting distracted by other stuff.

I really need to go back to it, although I can't remember much of the first three cases.

The Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
The SoJ DLC case? I really enjoyed the premise/atmosphere of it. Lots of old characters make an appearance too, which is great. It's not all that challenging of a case, though. I think with DD's DLC case, it was a little harder to figure out who did it. I'd still recommend it tho, personally :)

Nice I'll pick that up then. I'll probably replay AJ and DD before getting back into SOJ.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a fan translation for Dai Gyakuten Saiban yet? I just finished Investigations 2 last week (which was great btw) and I've played everything else. I need more AA. :x

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say of the games that AJ was my least favorite but that first case was great. My first time playing I was so excited to keep playing after it was over.
I can see that. I don't think you're the only person to feel that way either :) I think my least favourite in the series might be either Justice for All or Dual Destinies. But I still thoroughly, really enjoyed those two games despite them being my least favourite. I think Trials and Tribulations and Spirit of Justice are my two favourites.

Is there a fan translation for Dai Gyakuten Saiban yet? I just finished Investigations 2 last week (which was great btw) and I've played everything else. I need more AA. :x

Yyyyessss. I'm still so perched for a fan translation of some kind :( I'm upset we never got that game, or DGS2. Makes me sad.
AAI2 was awesome, yeah! :) I liked it more than AAI1.

Mistle

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If you don't remember much of the story, it's not overly complicated! I would just read online up to where you are now just to sorta give yourself a refresher!

I took a year+ break form AI/PP and it was kind of hard to get back into it, since a lot of it was connected. I'd recommend reading a synopsis of previous cases/events before jumping back in.
Sweet, yeah I'll read a synopsis, that should be enough.

Am craving more Ace Attorney after finishing up Spirit of Justice. My only unplayed ones are the remaining of Prosecutor's Path, and both DLC cases for the 3DS games.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yyyyessss. I'm still so perched for a fan translation of some kind :( I'm upset we never got that game, or DGS2. Makes me sad.

I'm still holding out hope the game will make it out west some day, but gonna grab a copy of the game for whenever the fan translation is finished. Hope patching and running the game on an NA 3DS isn't that complicated.

Oct 25, 2017
A favorite series of mine!

I havn't played the latest chapter yet so was curious on if it's any good and up there with the others? You guys think there is a possibility of a Switch version coming?