• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I do find it funny that the jury concept was followed up in one chronological fashion, that being the chronology of Shu Takumi games.
Except that involved both going back in time, for the complete opposite in chronological followups in universe, be it fake medieval in vs Layton or the meiji/victorian one in GAA.

Hey if vs Layton is somehow canon, maybe Emeer Punchenbaug killed the system before it could get rolling in its not officially a jury infancy
"this rando keeps getting called for jury duty, the system is flawed!"

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Lol yeah, I'm replaying PLvsPW now, and it's funny that Takumi kept the jury system through all of his games.

I'd like more jury, summation examinations, and other such things! They are a fun iteration (along with having multiple people on the stand).

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get some news about anything other than remasters this year….

Pls don't let the series die entirely :'(

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great Ace Attorney Chronicles was $15 digital at Amazon so I got it (now that I finally have a Switch).

Halfway through the first case and I'm enjoying AA all over again. I still wish they had used 2D instead of the 3D, but some of the animations are pretty fun so far so that helps. I like when Ryunosuke raises his hand.

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
Great Ace Attorney Chronicles was $15 digital at Amazon so I got it (now that I finally have a Switch).

Halfway through the first case and I'm enjoying AA all over again. I still wish they had used 2D instead of the 3D, but some of the animations are pretty fun so far so that helps. I like when Ryunosuke raises his hand.
Picked up the original trilogy for $9.99 myself and I am already in love on the third case (Steel Samurai). Dunno why I slept on this series so long but I got a lot of catching up to do.

Kinda reminds me of Judgement without the brawling lol.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Not stopping, we're reversing. Apollo Trilogy canceled confirmed 🙃

Very excited to continue my halted replay of the trilogy next week. I finished AA4 like a month before they announced it.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Not stopping, we're reversing. Apollo Trilogy canceled confirmed 🙃

Very excited to continue my halted replay of the trilogy next week. I finished AA4 like a month before they announced it.

They would. 🙃

I'm sooo interested to see how someone takes going from 4 to 5 one after the other and not with years in between. So, let us know your thoughts on that…

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Hmm... so it seems like the AJ Trilogy was also a testing ground for the devs with the RE Engine, so if there is an AA7, they probably aren't too far along in making it.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... so it seems like the AJ Trilogy was also a testing ground for the devs with the RE Engine, so if there is an AA7, they probably aren't too far along in making it.

Yeah I saw that too. So I wonder if what happened was: they were working on another, Yamazaki left, they stalled, then got their hands on the RE engine so just decide to totally start over, and that's why AA7 was in that leak but then never materialized.

🤷🏻‍♀️ doesn't really matter haha.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I would love a GAA3. It was the most fun I've had with the series since the original trilogy.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Not that I have a LOT of hope but I wouldn't necessarily assume that quote means a new game is still far off. I do remember Capcom sending out surveys around when the GAA collection came out gauging interest in further AA games from Shu Takumi, so he may be working on something.

At least it's finally, technically confirmation of a new game.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sooo interested to see how someone takes going from 4 to 5 one after the other and not with years in between. So, let us know your thoughts on that…
I may have some good or bad news for you depending on your thoughts on AA5 lol. I did play up to 5-2 before the AJ Trilogy announcement. At the time, I thought that AA4 was much better than my memory. And AA5 was maybe a tad worse. I think my criticism for the cases, characters, and Mood Matrix remained without the newness of the 3D models to distract me.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://x.com/vgc_news/status/1749382139613679757?s=46&t=Kl9oppo5YyDuLt-HkuaKnA

Not only is it not stopping, now it's confirmed that it will NEVER end. The series will outlast humanity.

😂 FOREVER, in our hearts.

I may have some good or bad news for you depending on your thoughts on AA5 lol. I did play up to 5-2 before the AJ Trilogy announcement. At the time, I thought that AA4 was much better than my memory. And AA5 was maybe a tad worse. I think my criticism for the cases, characters, and Mood Matrix remained without the newness of the 3D models to distract me.

Aw darn lol.

I didn't experience the huge whiplash from 4 to 5 because I played at release, but I have to imagine "we have a jury system and the future is bright" to "WHAT'S A JURY, IT'S THE DARK AGE OF THE LAW BABY", and all the threads from 4, immediately being thrown to the wind in the opening minutes of 5 is going to feel so jarring in this collection.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Aw darn lol.

I didn't experience the huge whiplash from 4 to 5 because I played at release, but I have to imagine "we have a jury system and the future is bright" to "WHAT'S A JURY, IT'S THE DARK AGE OF THE LAW BABY", and all the threads from 4, immediately being thrown to the wind in the opening minutes of 5 is going to feel so jarring in this collection.
Oh absolutely. I think it was still whiplash for me even at release, and doubly so this time around. Idk how to best describe it, but I just didn't view it as AA5's "fault". As silly as it sounds, the game had no agency in the direction it was taking, if that makes sense.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Oh absolutely. I think it was still whiplash for me even at release, and doubly so this time around. Idk how to best describe it, but I just didn't view it as AA5's "fault". As silly as it sounds, the game had no agency in the direction it was taking, if that makes sense.

Yeah, that's fair. I think it was likely Capcom that dictated a lot of that. Ah well.

I'm always going to be just a bit salty we never got an actual follow up to Apollo Justice lol.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017

latest

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019

View: https://x.com/noisypixelnews/status/1749446666233712986?s=46&t=rmXxC7fXc2KJDqyEshA8JQ

Okay. Okay. First thing—new Kazuya Nuri art for AJ!

Also! The book Kristoph is holding is Legal Positivism, and has the van Zieks family crest on it lol.

Did Barok write a book on legal positivism?? 😂

There's going to be bonus art for completing every game (and an extra for completing all three), excited to see what they all look like (and, no, it's not Kazuya Nuri doing all four of them, they're all being done by individual artists).

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
There's going to be bonus art for completing every game (and an extra for completing all three), excited to see what they all look like (and, no, it's not Kazuya Nuri doing all four of them, they're all being done by individual artists).

Oh fun!

Kind of wish Nuri was doing them all just because I really really love his art haha, but that's okay. Let's get some more art, any art!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm playing Apollo for the first time, would be nice if we could hear the singing lol

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of a clickbait title because their take on the series' future is just "I hope there's more *shrug*".

Nice that they got to work on the other languages too. It's hard for me to say if AA's localization could have been better or worse, but it's hard to argue against how distinctive it now is, and I'm glad they retained the talent all these years.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Lol yeah, love Janet, but it was mostly "hope we'll see more".

While I know the original translation was likely borne out of the idea that NA ~wouldn't get Japanese stuff in the early 2000s, I can't deny how hilariously charming the whole Japanifornia stuff ended up being lol. So I'm kind of glad for it.

Awkward Zombie - Culture Schlock

Gags and goofs about videogames and the things that happen in them.

And we'd never have this kind of incredible stuff either haha.

MarcBurner

Feb 21, 2024
Lol yeah, love Janet, but it was mostly "hope we'll see more".

While I know the original translation was likely borne out of the idea that NA ~wouldn't get Japanese stuff in the early 2000s, I can't deny how hilariously charming the whole Japanifornia stuff ended up being lol. So I'm kind of glad for it.

Awkward Zombie - Culture Schlock

Gags and goofs about videogames and the things that happen in them.

And we'd never have this kind of incredible stuff either haha.

It's honestly one of my favorite parts of the series, I don't think the crazy characters would work as well without it.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly one of my favorite parts of the series, I don't think the crazy characters would work as well without it.

Same, Japanifornia is hilarious. California court system with "3 days, or we'll hang ya" trials, "there's no guns here/it's impossible to get a gun", the rural Japanese mountain villages, etc. It's all very funny.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Oh shit
The Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy character popularity poll is live! Vote for your favorite character among 90 candidates who appear in Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy!

The Ace Attorney series' Art Director, Takuro Fuse, will create brand new illustrations for the top three characters with the most votes!

www.ace-attorney.com

The Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy character popularity poll|CAPCOM

We asked fans to vote on their favorite out of 90 characters featured in Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies, and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice.

Oct 28, 2017
I want to shill this game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1746030/Murders_on_the_Yangtze_River/

It's a Chinese Ace Attorney like game, fully translated into English and done so competently.

The gameplay is essentially identical to Ace Attorney Investigations with a few minor changes. It's fundamentally a detective story and though you rarely actually go to a courtroom you usually end up in a situation 'akin' to court where you have to convince an authority figure about the circumstances in a way that feels immediately familiar.

But it's not just... Ace Attorney with a Chinese spin. It has its own flavor to it. It's much more serious, with only sporadic comedic elements. No wacky witnesses or dramatic breakdowns. It's a much more rapidly paced game, going through 6 chapters in about 15 hours of total runtime. There's no case that feels like 'filler' and the entire narrative is wrapped around this one mega-cold case that the protagonist continually revisits multiple times throughout the entire story before it all comes to a head in the finale.

It's not perfect. It's a decidedly lower-budget affair than Ace Attorney games. There are a few instances of Adventure Game Logic you'll have to parse through. One puzzle I had to look up the answer to. There is a single, inexplicably placed, 15 minute long stealth section that sucks so much it almost made me quit. The game has for reasons entirely unclear to me created 2 lockpicking mini-games for the grand total of 3 locks you break in the ENTIRE GAME.

But you can feel the love they've put into so much else. This game has diagetic voice acting for the majority of the major scenes. As in characters speak Chinese to each other in China, English to each other in London, and in Shanghai bilingual characters will literally switch languages mid-sentence depending on who they're addressing. It is clear that there are different VAs for each 'language' but the fact that they went this far to make bilingualism an actual aspect of the plot is amazing to me. And I'm no historian so I can't speak for the accuracy, but it uses its setting (pre Revolutionary China) in an intelligent manner, with cases all tying into some kind of cultural or historical anxiety faced in that era. They even include small blurbs giving historical context to conflicts when they pop up, so that when characters talk around each other or use strange metaphors the meaning is still communicated through.

More than anything else though... this game nails the mystery. For me it's right in that absolute perfect middle ground, where I'm one step behind the protagonists and rarely if ever figuring things out before the game expects me to. The murders get wild, the plots get convoluted and the final case, good lord, this game's final case is insanely good. I also laughed for a good minute when I finally realized the conceit of the game's main overarching conspiracy. It is ripped from the headlines in the best way possible.

Last edited:

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I want to shill this game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1746030/Murders_on_the_Yangtze_River/

It's a Chinese Ace Attorney like game, fully translated into English and done so competently.

The gameplay is essentially identical to Ace Attorney Investigations with a few minor changes. It's fundamentally a detective story and though you rarely actually go to a courtroom you usually end up in a situation 'akin' to court where you have to convince an authority figure about the circumstances in a way that feels immediately familiar.

But it's not just... Ace Attorney with a Chinese spin. It has its own flavor to it. It's much more serious, with only sporadic comedic elements. No wacky witnesses or dramatic breakdowns. It's a much more rapidly paced, going through 6 chapters in about 15 hours of total runtime. There's no case that feels like 'filler' and the entire narrative is wrapped around this one mega-cold case that the protagonist continually revisits multiple times throughout the entire story before it all comes to a head in the finale.

It's not perfect. It's decidedly lower budget than Ace Attorney games. There are a few instances of Adventure Game Logic you'll have to parse through. One puzzle I had to look up the answer to. There is a single, inexplicably placed, 15 minute long stealth section that sucks so much it almost made me quit. The game has for reasons entirely unclear to me created 2 lockpicking mini-games for the grand total of 3 locks you break in the ENTIRE GAME.

But you can feel the love they've put into so much else. This game, for example, has diagetic voice acting for the majority of the major scenes. As in characters speak Chinese to each other in China, English to each other in London, and in Shanghai bilingual characters will literally switch languages mid-sentence depending on who they're addressing. It is clear that there are different VAs for each 'language' for the same character but the fact that they went this far to make bilingualism an actual aspect of the plot is amazing to me. And I'm no historian so I can't speak for the accuracy, but it uses its setting (pre Revolutionary China) in an amazing way, with cases all tying into some kind of cultural or historical anxiety faced in that era. They even include small blurbs giving historical context to conflicts when they pop up, so that when characters talk around each other or use strange metaphors the meaning is still communicated through.

More than anything else though... this game nails the mystery. At least for me it's right in that absolute perfect middle ground, where I'm one step behind the protagonists and rarely if ever figuring things out before the game expects me to. The murders get wild, the plots get convoluted and the final case, good lord, this game's final case is insanely good. I also laughed for a good minute when I finally realized the conceit of the game's main overarching conspiracy. It is ripped from the headlines in the best way possible.

Sold and I DIDN'T EVEN FINISH READING YOUR POST

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

But it's not just... Ace Attorney with a Chinese spin. It has its own flavor to it. It's much more serious, with only sporadic comedic elements. No wacky witnesses or dramatic breakdowns. It's a much more rapidly paced game, going through 6 chapters in about 15 hours of total runtime. There's no case that feels like 'filler' and the entire narrative is wrapped around this one mega-cold case that the protagonist continually revisits multiple times throughout the entire story before it all comes to a head in the finale.

It's not perfect. It's a decidedly lower-budget affair than Ace Attorney games. There are a few instances of Adventure Game Logic you'll have to parse through. One puzzle I had to look up the answer to. There is a single, inexplicably placed, 15 minute long stealth section that sucks so much it almost made me quit. The game has for reasons entirely unclear to me created 2 lockpicking mini-games for the grand total of 3 locks you break in the ENTIRE GAME.

But you can feel the love they've put into so much else. This game has diagetic voice acting for the majority of the major scenes. As in characters speak Chinese to each other in China, English to each other in London, and in Shanghai bilingual characters will literally switch languages mid-sentence depending on who they're addressing. It is clear that there are different VAs for each 'language' but the fact that they went this far to make bilingualism an actual aspect of the plot is amazing to me. And I'm no historian so I can't speak for the accuracy, but it uses its setting (pre Revolutionary China) in an intelligent manner, with cases all tying into some kind of cultural or historical anxiety faced in that era. They even include small blurbs giving historical context to conflicts when they pop up, so that when characters talk around each other or use strange metaphors the meaning is still communicated through.

More than anything else though... this game nails the mystery. For me it's right in that absolute perfect middle ground, where I'm one step behind the protagonists and rarely if ever figuring things out before the game expects me to. The murders get wild, the plots get convoluted and the final case, good lord, this game's final case is insanely good. I also laughed for a good minute when I finally realized the conceit of the game's main overarching conspiracy. It is ripped from the headlines in the best way possible.

I'm glad to hear this. I actually grabbed it several weeks ago but haven't had a chance to play yet. Really really excited to get to it now!!

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still at case 2 of TGAA 2, it's so slow and boring after (for me) the worst AA in the series that I'm struggling a lot to play it. TGAA 1 was so slow and uninteresting, with disappointing case resolutions that's hard for me to believe the folks who say TGAA2 is some of the best in the series.

Case 2 being a flashback and sequel to the most boring case in the whole franchise with an annoying defendand doesn't help.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
store.steampowered.com

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles - [Notice]Discontinuation of Ace Attorney Turnabout Collection - Steam News

The Ace Attorney Turnabout Collection bundle(The set SKU of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy and The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles) will be discontinued as of May 31, 2024. *New downloads of Ace Attorney Turnabout Collection will not be available in the store, but owners will be able to...

[Notice]Discontinuation of Ace Attorney Turnabout Collection

The Ace Attorney Turnabout Collection bundle(The set SKU of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy and The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles) will be discontinued as of May 31, 2024.

*New downloads of Ace Attorney Turnabout Collection will not be available in the store, but owners will be able to continue to play game.

*Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy and The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles will remain available for purchase.