• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Ever since I started following this thread, I haven't seen any talk about Godot. Everything I've seen has pointed him towards being a pretty divisive character within the fan base. I personally really like him (He's my favorite character within the series). He has a very interesting backstory and there is a lot to explore with him, such as his outdated morals and strong sense of rules. What do you guys think of him?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Ever since I started following this thread, I haven't seen any talk about Godot. Everything I've seen has pointed him towards being a pretty divisive character within the fan base. I personally really like him (He's my favorite character within the series). He has a very interesting backstory and there is a lot to explore with him, such as his outdated morals and strong sense of rules. What do you guys think of him?

I think he's great but he isn't a fierce prosecutor. A lot of his screen time is about his gimmicks.

I think his strongest case was 3-2 because his gimmicks were actually beneficial to him, since he just had to leave Phoenix Wright shoot himself in the foot by proving his client wasn't the robber.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
I wouldn't say Godot is a good or great prosecutor per se but he is exactly what AA3 needed and was used accordingly and was important for character arcs and story. Very memorable. Also has a cool ass design.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Godot's alright. From what I recall, it felt to me like his hostility towards Phoenix Wright was kinda forced compared to the prosecutors which came before. There's nothing that makes him particularly stand out, but he was cool and inoffensive. Better than any of the prosecutors which came afterwards.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Godot is a good character, but I don't thing he's anywhere near the fantastic character that a lot a people claim that he is. I never liked how he didn't fit in compared to the other prosecutors in the original trilogy. You had Edgeworth, Manfred von Karma, and Franziska von Karma forming a story of sorts, and the trilogy is capped off by someone totally unrelated. He's not bad on his own, but it makes the trilogy feel less cohesive that it could've been.

I have two other small issues with him. The first is admittedly kind of a nitpick, but I think he's given a little too much sympathy from the main characters. He certainly deserves sympathy for all the crap he went through, but Phoenix and co. sort of gloss over the fact the he could've easily prevented Misty's death but chose not to for selfish reasons. It's not a huge deal, since he's a pretty pitiable character to begin with, but it bugs me a bit. My second issue with him is his prosecution style. That is to say, the total lack of it. I'm seriously struggling to remember anytime he actually offers a counterargument whenever Phoenix proposes something. He just always responds by telling Phoenix to "Prove it," without any alternate explanation of how the crime would've actually taken place.

That being said, I do like him overall. He's really entertaining, has a ton of presence, and has an interesting story behind him. I just think that the writing surrounding him has a few small issues holding him back, which makes me rate Edgeworth and Franziska higher than him.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
just finished AAI2, here's my impressions of the last case, and the whole game

the last ace attorney game i played was AAI, around the time of its release, so it's been a LONG time since i have played any AA games, and a lot of what i remember from playing the original 5 games on the DS is from my not so clear memories. my expectations for AAI2 were pretty high, based on the impressions i remember reading from people who played the japanese version, and the people who played the game when the fan translation came out, many of whom said this one was one of the best in the series, comparing it to AA3.

i have to say, i'm pretty disappointed. there were definitely things i liked about the game, but i didn't end up loving the game as much as i wanted to.

the good: it's ace attorney. it has a certain charm that i'll always love and there's never anything quite like it. the main characters, the silly humor, the dramatic twists, those i liked in every AA game i've played and this game was not an exception.
i liked how all cases were closely related and it all came together in the end, and the game didn't have any cases where it felt like a huge dive in quality compared to the rest of them. i also liked the first case for feeling like a proper case and not a short tutorial. my favorite was probably the third case, i liked playing as gregory and ray, and solving a case in two time periods in the same place was pretty fun.

the bad: this game was FUCKING EXHAUSTING! i was much younger when i played the previous games, so i was probably a more patient person back then (even tho i still remember the first AAI game being too long and cases going on for way longer than they should). i remember being so hooked on the older games that i started and finished them on my first play through in a few days, but this one took me a few months. i just couldn't play it for long before i felt like it was enough. the cases would just not end, every time i was like nowaynowaynoway this is gonna go on for longer and something meaningless would come up and the case would go on and on.
it also didn't help that so much of the game was just reading text and the actual investigation was pretty minimal. the investigation in front of the orphanage in the last case was pretty awesome, with how it felt like actual detective work in learning how the crime happened. i would have loved it if the game had more of that. but it usually ended up being just a short investigation followed by never ending dialogue where you had minimal input. i don't necessary have a problem with that in AA games or in visual novels, but it bothered me for some reason in this game, probably because i always felt like so much of the dialogue is redundant and it's taking too long to get to a point that i as a player know it's gonna get to. a good example of excruciatingly long sections in the game is the scenes in court with blaise and patricia rolland on the stand.
the new system, logic chess, was alright. it didn't add a whole lot that couldn't have been done in normal dialogue or rebuttals, but i was fine with it and it didn't bother me.
i felt like many of the new characters ended up not being that good. they were either not that good from the start, or ended up having unsatisfactory character arcs. the main villains were pretty lackluster. i posted earlier in this thread regarding how i felt about blaise. he was in the awkward place between stupid and evil, i didn't like his design, and he ended up being pretty forgettable. simon was pretty bleh too. his reveal as the mastermind felt out of place and he ended up being a pretty weird villain, don't know exactly how to say it but his schtick of kind of admitting to things in front of 20 people and then taking it back felt awkward.
speaking of 20 people, it definitely felt like there were way too many people around later in the game. they just kept adding and not removing anyone. lotta hart and nicole swift were definitely not needed to be there all the way to the end.
i loved most of the returning characters and cameos, specially shi-long who ended up being quite good. franziska was good too even tho she could have been more involved.
sebastian was a good new character that i felt like had a satisfying arc, compared to ray shields and justine courtney who i initially liked, but ended up being not that well developed. ray was definitely good in the third case, but he was seriously under utilized in the later cases to the point that i would forgot he's there sometimes and be surprised when he popped up. also i wasn't a fan of him creepily wanting to hug every female character. courtney was a good initial villain, but her transformation felt very sudden and then after that she ended up being just there and very uncharacteristically weak, and just going along with the motions.

overall i'm glad that i played this game. this is a series that i want to play all the games in, and i'm really thankful that the fantastic fan translation exists. maybe i'm being too nit-picky and pointing out things that were wrong with the earlier games and i just have a bad memory of those games, but my 15 or 16 year old self was probably more forgiving.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
just finished AAI2, here's my impressions of the last case, and the whole game

the last ace attorney game i played was AAI, around the time of its release, so it's been a LONG time since i have played any AA games, and a lot of what i remember from playing the original 5 games on the DS is from my not so clear memories. my expectations for AAI2 were pretty high, based on the impressions i remember reading from people who played the japanese version, and the people who played the game when the fan translation came out, many of whom said this one was one of the best in the series, comparing it to AA3.

i have to say, i'm pretty disappointed. there were definitely things i liked about the game, but i didn't end up loving the game as much as i wanted to.

the good: it's ace attorney. it has a certain charm that i'll always love and there's never anything quite like it. the main characters, the silly humor, the dramatic twists, those i liked in every AA game i've played and this game was not an exception.
i liked how all cases were closely related and it all came together in the end, and the game didn't have any cases where it felt like a huge dive in quality compared to the rest of them. i also liked the first case for feeling like a proper case and not a short tutorial. my favorite was probably the third case, i liked playing as gregory and ray, and solving a case in two time periods in the same place was pretty fun.

the bad: this game was FUCKING EXHAUSTING! i was much younger when i played the previous games, so i was probably a more patient person back then (even tho i still remember the first AAI game being too long and cases going on for way longer than they should). i remember being so hooked on the older games that i started and finished them on my first play through in a few days, but this one took me a few months. i just couldn't play it for long before i felt like it was enough. the cases would just not end, every time i was like nowaynowaynoway this is gonna go on for longer and something meaningless would come up and the case would go on and on.
it also didn't help that so much of the game was just reading text and the actual investigation was pretty minimal. the investigation in front of the orphanage in the last case was pretty awesome, with how it felt like actual detective work in learning how the crime happened. i would have loved it if the game had more of that. but it usually ended up being just a short investigation followed by never ending dialogue where you had minimal input. i don't necessary have a problem with that in AA games or in visual novels, but it bothered me for some reason in this game, probably because i always felt like so much of the dialogue is redundant and it's taking too long to get to a point that i as a player know it's gonna get to. a good example of excruciatingly long sections in the game is the scenes in court with blaise and patricia rolland on the stand.
the new system, logic chess, was alright. it didn't add a whole lot that couldn't have been done in normal dialogue or rebuttals, but i was fine with it and it didn't bother me.
i felt like many of the new characters ended up not being that good. they were either not that good from the start, or ended up having unsatisfactory character arcs. the main villains were pretty lackluster. i posted earlier in this thread regarding how i felt about blaise. he was in the awkward place between stupid and evil, i didn't like his design, and he ended up being pretty forgettable. simon was pretty bleh too. his reveal as the mastermind felt out of place and he ended up being a pretty weird villain, don't know exactly how to say it but his schtick of kind of admitting to things in front of 20 people and then taking it back felt awkward.
speaking of 20 people, it definitely felt like there were way too many people around later in the game. they just kept adding and not removing anyone. lotta hart and nicole swift were definitely not needed to be there all the way to the end.
i loved most of the returning characters and cameos, specially shi-long who ended up being quite good. franziska was good too even tho she could have been more involved.
sebastian was a good new character that i felt like had a satisfying arc, compared to ray shields and justine courtney who i initially liked, but ended up being not that well developed. ray was definitely good in the third case, but he was seriously under utilized in the later cases to the point that i would forgot he's there sometimes and be surprised when he popped up. courtney was a good initial villain, but her transformation felt very sudden and then after that she ended up being just there and very uncharacteristically weak, and just going along with the motions.

overall i'm glad that i played this game. this is a series that i want to play all the games in, and i'm really thankful that the fantastic fan translation exists. maybe i'm being too nit-picky and pointing out things that were wrong with the earlier games and i just have a bad memory of those games, but my 15 or 16 year old self was probably more forgiving.

It's definitely not just you. This game is way too long for its own good and ultimately soured me on the experience. Ace Attorney is usually not like that.

Frankly I think people are overselling AAI2 way too much for what it is. But most people knows that this game has issues.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i want to play AA5 and 6 (after taking a break obviously), but don't have a 3DS. iOS ports are good according to OP, but there are huge warnings in the descriptions in the app store about them not running on iOS 11. anyone has any experience with running them on the latest iOS versions?

It's definitely not just you. This game is way too long for its own good and ultimately soured me on the experience. Ace Attorney is usually not like that.

Frankly I think people are overselling AAI2 way too much for what it is. But most people knows that this game has issues.
good to hear it's not just me who found it way too long.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I personally didn't think the cases went on for too long in AAI2, but I also really enjoyed logic chess, and I loved most of AAI2's characters. I imagine that is probably why the cases didn't drag much for me.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
more rambling about AAI2's characters

- ace attorney always had a thing for character's parents, but this game was obsessed with it and took it way too far, almost everyone's parents ended up being involved in the cases from 18 and 12 years ago

- i always hate it when in any media a bad ass male character can stay bad ass all the way to the end, but a bad ass female character needs to be softened and turn into something different. this game had one of the worst examples of that trope that i can remember. justine courtney started as a pretty intriguing character. she was actually competent and pointed out actual flaws and contradictions in edgeworth's reasonings, and seemed pretty bad ass and authoritative. then as a result of her kid being kidnapped, she turned into a pathetic character who only said things like "ah...", "john..." and "...mr edgeworth" and whose only reaction was to be scared or shocked. i expected her character's backstory and arc to turn into something interesting, instead it seemed like the writers just didn't know how to handle a strong female character's story.

Last edited:

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
more rambling about AAI2's characters

- ace attorney always had a thing for character's parents, but this game was obsessed with it and took it way too far, almost everyone's parents ended up being involved in the cases from 18 and 12 years ago

- i always hate it when in any media a bad ass male character can stay bad ass all the way to the end, but a bad ass female character needs to be softened and turn into something different. this game had one of the worst examples of that trope that i can remember. justine courtney started as a pretty intriguing character. she was actually competent and pointed out actual flaws and contradictions in edgeworth's reasonings, and seemed pretty bad ass and authoritative. then as a result of her kid being kidnapped, she turned into a pathetic character who only said things like "ah...", "john..." and "...mr edgeworth" and whose only reaction was to be scared or shocked. i expected her character's backstory and arc to turn into something interesting, instead it seemed like the writers just didn't know how to handle a strong female character's story.
AAI2 Case 5 Spoilers Below:
I'd say I disagree with that. I'd argue that Justine being freaked out was understandable. She'd literally lost the person she cared the most about. Not to mention that John was the last remaining link she had to Amy Marsh, who she seemingly cared a lot about. In addition, its been awhile since I've replayed Case 5, but from what I remember, Courtney largely returned to her old "strong" self once John was returned. From what I remember, she regains her stout, authoritative tone for the rest of the case

Of course, this ignoring Courtney's other struggle that she faced during Case 5: What it means to be a judge? The game makes it really clear that Courtney takes being a judge extremely seriously, for she tries to stay truly objective and gives her rulings based solely on the evidence at hand. During John's kidnapping, Courtney's also having to grapple with her sense of justice and how she believes a judge should act. She knows Roland is guilty, but she also believes that a judge should rule based on evidence alone, of which their, during most of the trial, isn't any. I believe this humanity vs objectivity debate is another reason why Courtney was so freaked out. Courtney believes that the law represents justice, which is why she always talks about the Goddes of Law, yet during Roland's trial, following the law would lead to a huge act of injustice.

Basically, I understand where you're coming from, but I think Courtney had enough going on to justify her panic attack. I think to just simplify this to "softening a strong female character down" is glossing over a lot of internal conflict within Courtney's character.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AAI2 Case 5 Spoilers Below:
I'd say I disagree with that. I'd argue that Justine being freaked out was understandable. She'd literally lost the person she cared the most about. Not to mention that John was the last remaining link she had to Amy Marsh, who she seemingly cared a lot about. In addition, its been awhile since I've replayed Case 5, but from what I remember, Courtney largely returned to her old "strong" self once John was returned. From what I remember, she regains her stout, authoritative tone for the rest of the case

Of course, this ignoring Courtney's other struggle that she faced during Case 5: What it means to be a judge? The game makes it really clear that Courtney takes being a judge extremely seriously, for she tries to stay truly objective and gives her rulings based solely on the evidence at hand. During John's kidnapping, Courtney's also having to grapple with her sense of justice and how she believes a judge should act. She knows Roland is guilty, but she also believes that a judge should rule based on evidence alone, of which their, during most of the trial, isn't any. I believe this humanity vs objectivity debate is another reason why Courtney was so freaked out. Courtney believes that the law represents justice, which is why she always talks about the Goddes of Law, yet during Roland's trial, following the law would lead to a huge act of injustice.

Basically, I understand where you're coming from, but I think Courtney had enough going on to justify her panic attack. I think to just simplify this to "softening a strong female character down" is glossing over a lot of internal conflict within Courtney's character.
i based my argument on the fact that that the part that i bolded in your post just doesn't happen, and i just finished the game today so i would have remembered if it did. i completely understand her demeanor changing because the person she cares about the most is kidnapped and she's being blackmailed to declare a not guilty verdict, but once she hears that john is safe, she never goes back to her old self. from that point on she transforms into a weak side character who's only there to provide some exposition on john, amy and the president, but beside that i felt like her character as this awesome strong female judge went entirely to waste.
i also think that the whole kidnapping thing was there to soften the character in the first place, they wanted to do that and the kidnapping and using the over played "maternal instinct" was their tool.
her internal conflict of what a judge should be, whether she should act according to the letter of the law or if she should also involve her own emotions into the judgement was definitely a good part of the character, and very unique for the series since a judge's perspective was never a big part of the series, but i think if she didn't turn into a soft and weak character by the end of the game, her character would have ended up being one of the best in the series.

Last edited:

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
i based my argument on the fact that that the part that i bolded in your post just doesn't happen, and i just finished the game today so i would have remembered if it did. i completely understand her demeanor changing because the person she cares about the most is kidnapped and she's being blackmailed to declare a not guilty verdict, but once she hears that john is safe, she never goes back to her old self. from that point on she transforms into a weak side character who's only there to provide some exposition on john, amy and the president, but beside that i felt like her character as this awesome strong female judge went entirely to waste.
i also think that the whole kidnapping thing was there to soften the character in the first place, they wanted to do that and the kidnapping and using the over played "maternal instinct" was their tool.
her internal conflict of what a judge should be, whether she should act according to the letter of the law or if she should also involve her own emotions into the judgement was definitely a good part of the character, and very unique for the series since a judge's perspective was never a big part of the series, but i think if she didn't turn into a soft and weak character by the end of the game, her character would have ended up being one of the best in the series.[/spiler]
Ok, I wasn't sure if I was misremembering or not. It seems like I was... Your criticism is completely fair then.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
her internal conflict of what a judge should be, whether she should act according to the letter of the law or if she should also involve her own emotions into the judgement was definitely a good part of the character, and very unique for the series since a judge's perspective was never a big part of the series, but i think if she didn't turn into a soft and weak character by the end of the game, her character would have ended up being one of the best in the series.[/spiler]

Also Justine having a panic attack animation didn't sit right by me

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
man I really hope my girl
Iris
comes back in the next game, I imagine her sentence has to be up soon so i hope they bring her back into the series soon

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After over a year my playthrough of the mainline Ace Attorney series is finally done! I played through the original back when it was released on the iPhone, but with the news that Apollo Justice was going to be released on the 3DS eShop I thought I might as well play from the beginning again on the 3DS. Playing through a chapter of a case right before bed was a really nice ritual to have, even if sometimes it caused me to stay up way longer than I should have :P

I still need to play the DLC for Spirit of Justice but I think I'll take a small break after the roller coaster that was Turnabout Revolution.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
man I really hope my girl
Iris
comes back in the next game, I imagine her sentence has to be up soon so i hope they bring her back into the series soon

I will be sad if she's never brought back. Feeny deserves to be happy.

Also I thought Godot was genuinely accepted as the #1 prosecutor? Idk why I had that impression but I always thought that. Other than maybe Edgeworth.

Last edited:

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Playing through a chapter of a case right before bed was a really nice ritual to have, even if sometimes it caused me to stay up way longer than I should have :P.

This is actually my fondest memory of Ace Attorney. It's how I played all of them. I remember I was supposed to go to bed at 10:00pm because I had to get up in the morning and I had left was to finish the final day of the trial for 1-5. Needless to say I didn't finish until 2pm. Both levels of frustration at the time mixed with exciting twits and turns at every angle. Good times.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
AAI2 was solid, but I echo it feeling bloody exhausting.

I agree, it felt like there was often too much dialogue which just went round in circles. Like during one of the last set of testimonies every single one was prefaced by a pep-talk by every character accompanying you so far.

Also I thought Godot was genuinely accepted as the #1 prosecutor? Idk why I had that impression but I always thought that. Other than maybe Edgeworth.

As far as I know Edgeworth has always been seen as #1. Only Godot or Blackquill tend to come close. That's my perception of general opinion anyway.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is actually my fondest memory of Ace Attorney. It's how I played all of them. I remember I was supposed to go to bed at 10:00pm because I had to get up in the morning and I had left was to finish the final day of the trial for 1-5. Needless to say I didn't finish until 2pm. Both levels of frustration at the time mixed with exciting twits and turns at every angle. Good times.
Rise from the Ashes was so good! It's probably my favorite case. It's one of the cases that I stayed up late for, with the other ones being the finale of Bridge to the Turnabout and most recently Turnabout Revolution. For as much as I enjoyed the finale of Spirit of Justice it felt like it kept going and going.
As far as I know Edgeworth has always been seen as #1. Only Godot or Blackquill tend to come close. That's my perception of general opinion anyway.
I personally really like Klavier, mostly because of his interactions with Apollo in the fourth game.

OP
OP
GSR

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to agree, but I do think it's possible. Obviously haven't been able to play it, but I like the overall demeanor of the DGS prosecutor more than the post-first trilogy prosecutors.

van Zieks actually reminds me of AA1/2 Edgeworth in that he's got his eccentricities, but he's generally serious and that seriousness is played straight without the silliness overwhelming his character. (AAI-onwards Edgeworth is often written so that his seriousness is his eccentricity.)

That said, van Zieks is a huge victim of the DGS1/2 split because all of his backstory and out-of-court personality is in the second game. During the first game he's basically just there so that there's a prosecutor. At its worst I was getting Barnham flashbacks (though luckily he's never that boring.)

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Finally getting round to playing Gyakuten Kenji 2. I went with the phone version. Anyone here know why they only made two?

I also ended up rebuying the collection for my 3ds just in case they don't come to switch.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of issues with PLvsPW, but Barnham isn't really one of them. He's alright. What isn't alright is just when he's starting to get really interesting, he's completely removed from the plot. I have no idea what could possibly have possessed Takumi to make that bizarre decision.

OP
OP
GSR

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Finally getting round to playing Gyakuten Kenji 2. I went with the phone version. Anyone here know why they only made two?

I'm not sure they've ever given a specific reason, but both AAI games were written to be pretty self-contained. I'm sure it was just a matter of either Capcom's higher-ups or the teams deciding it was time to go back to the main series (especially because Takumi went straight from Ghost Trick to the Layton crossover instead of going back to the main series.)

I have a lot of issues with PLvsPW, but Barnham isn't really one of them. He's alright. What isn't alright is just when he's starting to get really interesting, he's completely removed from the plot. I have no idea what could possibly have possessed Takumi to make that bizarre decision.

I mean, I don't hate Barnham's character or anything (Blackquill was way more obnoxious as a prosecutor) but I mean exactly what you said, which is that there's no payoff to his character and he winds up feeling like a seat-warmer. And van Zieks comes way too close to that in DGS1.

Last edited:

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed that the Investigation games were there to let the new team "warm up," so to speak, before moving on to the main games. Especially since AJ left the series in kind of an awkward position, with it both bringing a ton of new fans, but it also was a pretty big departure and was extremely divisive.

Ditching almost the entire main cast in a series pretty much defined by its characters was not exactly the greatest decision. But you also had to account for people who jumped in with AJ and didn't have an attachment to what came before. It was a rough situation, and I don't blame them for holding off on it for awhile.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I always assumed that the Investigation games were there to let the new team "warm up," so to speak, before moving on to the main games. Especially since AJ left the series in kind of an awkward position, with it both bringing a ton of new fans, but it also was a pretty big departure and was extremely divisive.

Ditching almost the entire main cast in a series pretty much defined by its characters was not exactly the greatest decision. But you also had to account for people who jumped in with AJ and didn't have an attachment to what came before. It was a rough situation, and I don't blame them for holding off on it for awhile.

I thought AJ was considered a complete kusoge in the Japanese fandom. Completely anecdotal but most of my Japanese friends hate it so it surprises me that you said it brought in new fans. It's been awhile since I've been around the western fandom but I also thought it was received pretty poorly at the time of release there as well.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I thought AJ was considered a complete kusoge in the Japanese fandom. Completely anecdotal but most of my Japanese friends hate it so it surprises me that you said it brought in new fans. It's been awhile since I've been around the western fandom but I also thought it was received pretty poorly at the time of release there as well.

It was the best selling AA game at the time, so I figure that it had to bring in people who hadn't played previous games. On a completely anecdotal note, I hear tons of people who've said that they started with AJ. It always seems to be either the original game or AJ.

OP
OP
GSR

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
AJ is still by far the best-selling game in the series AFAIK (maybe the original games top it if you count all their re-releases), so it definitely brought in some new players, but the initial blowback was fierce. Even in the English fandom the game had a pretty bad rap for a while IIRC, and I've definitely heard it didn't go over well with Japanese players.

Obviously reaction to it has improved over time, but it wasn't super-surprising when they followed it up with a "look, all your favorite trilogy characters are here" game.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still really happy that they didn't just try to revert it to as close to the original trilogy as they could. It was definitely closer, but they took element of Hobo Phoenix's personality and worked it into his more traditional one, instead of just pretending that he never changed. At the time of reveal, I was also pretty worried that Apollo was going to get shafted, which thankfully was not the case. Trucy's demotion from assistant was unfortunate, but I think 6-2 made up for that, plus she'll probably be Athena's assistant in AA7.

It was a nice balance between old and new. They brought it back to something that didn't feel as disjointed from the original games, while still going in a new direction.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Wow I had no idea it's the best selling game in the franchise. Personally I think it's fine apart from the third case and them not really resolving Kristoph in anyway. That felt like something they abandoned after the less than great fan reaction I guess

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For all it's faults I genuinely appreciate AJ's attempt to shake up the status quo and not give everyone in the trilogy a happily-ever-after. In particular Ema simply not being good enough to do what she wanted in life was refreshingly realistic and bleak, even if they threw that away a couple of games later.

Oct 28, 2017
I wrote a novelle-sized post ages ago on another forum last year, but to make it short: I loved this franchise so much back in 2006 when the English translation of AA came out. I immediately imported JFA through Play-Asia then around a year later did the same with T&T - one of the few times I did that, the others being Ouendan and its sequel. JFA's final case is still the peak of the franchise to me. I used to also post heavily in Court Records back then and even donated to the site to keep it running.

AJ came out and despite all its flaws I was excited about how it shook things up and another trilogy involving Apollo and OlderWiserPhoenix.

I got AAI whenever that came out and it kinda sucked - I was convinced I no longer liked the franchise by then. The writing was dull and I was throughly bored with it.

I read about DD some years later and once I saw in the magazine scans that they were bringing Phoenix back as a playable main character I knew the route the franchise was taking and lost interest. A couple years later it was discounted at around u$15 and I bought it but never got around to playing it until December last year when SOJ was also on sale and I figured I'd finally try them out.

I spent around a month playing DD and the beginning reminded me of why I loved the franchise back in the day with its sharp writing, and was at first surprised at how they supposedly hadn't reverted Phoenix back to a buffoon during the first case. The second one starring Apollo was a surprise too, and the Athena chapter was the high point of the game for me despite almost everyone probably disagreeing. I almost thought that despite the first chapter playing it safe they'd go places with this entry.
Then you go back to Phoenix, his characterization is back to being a flustered idiot, Pearls is there because remember those games you liked a decade ago??? Oh and Edgeworth is there too, because of course. They try to tie Apollo and Athena back into the main plot, but at the end of the day it's Phoenix's show. The final case is probably one of the duller closing chapters in the franchise and that antagonist zzzzz.

I started SOJ right after, did a bit of the first chapter then forgot about it until recently, now I'm near the end of Case 2's trial. It's "ok." Phoenix's story arc was done by the end of T&T and there's nothing left to do with the character, so I dread when I'll have to spend another 5+ hours playing as him. Apollo's and Athena's story arcs are interesting, but they barely have time to develop naturally when they have to be in a game shared between 3 characters. In a perfect world they would've both gotten their own trilogies instead of whatever this hodgepodge is. Ema being railroaded back to her 1-5 self is depressing since it just cements the franchise has turned into a shambling corpse, endlessly trying to invoke memories of better games and trying not to rock the boat too much and diminish its already niche sales status even further.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wrote a novelle-sized post ages ago on another forum last year, but to make it short: I loved this franchise so much back in 2006 when the English translation of AA came out. I immediately imported JFA through Play-Asia then around a year later did the same with T&T - one of the few times I did that, the others being Ouendan and its sequel. JFA's final case is still the peak of the franchise to me. I used to also post heavily in Court Records back then and even donated to the site to keep it running.

AJ came out and despite all its flaws I was excited about how it shook things up and another trilogy involving Apollo and OlderWiserPhoenix.

I got AAI whenever that came out and it kinda sucked - I was convinced I no longer liked the franchise by then. The writing was dull and I was throughly bored with it.

I read about DD some years later and once I saw in the magazine scans that they were bringing Phoenix back as a playable main character I knew the route the franchise was taking and lost interest. A couple years later it was discounted at around u$15 and I bought it but never got around to playing it until December last year when SOJ was also on sale and I figured I'd finally try them out.

I spent around a month playing DD and the beginning reminded me of why I loved the franchise back in the day with its sharp writing, and was at first surprised at how they supposedly hadn't reverted Phoenix back to a buffoon during the first case. The second one starring Apollo was a surprise too, and the Athena chapter was the high point of the game for me despite almost everyone probably disagreeing. I almost thought that despite the first chapter playing it safe they'd go places with this entry.
Then you go back to Phoenix, his characterization is back to being a flustered idiot, Pearls is there because remember those games you liked a decade ago??? Oh and Edgeworth is there too, because of course. They try to tie Apollo and Athena back into the main plot, but at the end of the day it's Phoenix's show. The final case is probably one of the duller closing chapters in the franchise and that antagonist zzzzz.

I started SOJ right after, did a bit of the first chapter then forgot about it until recently, now I'm near the end of Case 2's trial. It's "ok." Phoenix's story arc was done by the end of T&T and there's nothing left to do with the character, so I dread when I'll have to spend another 5+ hours playing as him. Apollo's and Athena's story arcs are interesting, but they barely have time to develop naturally when they have to be in a game shared between 3 characters. In a perfect world they would've both gotten their own trilogies instead of whatever this hodgepodge is. Ema being railroaded back to her 1-5 self is depressing since it just cements the franchise has turned into a shambling corpse, endlessly trying to invoke memories of better games and trying not to rock the boat too much and diminish its already niche sales status even further.

You might want to avoid SOJ's DLC case then, it's regressive to the extreme.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm literally on this very page begging for another character to come back, but I really feel like this franchise is trying to juggle way too many characters and some of them desperately need to be written out for good. Just off the top of my head Blackquill absolutely doesn't need to be sticking around and there's no merit whatsoever in trying to force Maya into any more cases. Trucy, Apollo, and Athena all have enough to them that they can do most of the heavy lifting by themselves, and you can afford to relegate Phoenix to a Mia-esque role for good this time so he's not soaking up the spotlight well past his expiration date

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm literally on this very page begging for another character to come back, but I really feel like this franchise is trying to juggle way too many characters and some of them desperately need to be written out for good. Just off the top of my head Blackquill absolutely doesn't need to be sticking around and there's no merit whatsoever in trying to force Maya into any more cases. Trucy, Apollo, and Athena all have enough to them that they can do most of the heavy lifting by themselves, and you can afford to relegate Phoenix to a Mia-esque role for good this time so he's not soaking up the spotlight well past his expiration date
If Athena ever gets her own game, and I sure hope she does some day, I can see merit in having Prosecutor Blackquill come back considering how important he is to her story.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I'm with you in regards to putting Phoenix and Maya on the backbench to give the newer crowd more time in the spotlight. Getting rid of Blackquill though? Them's fightin' words.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I will be sad if she's never brought back. Feeny deserves to be happy.

I like Godot's character and backstory the most out of all prosecutors, but Edgeworth is pretty clearly #1.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017

I can't help but wonder how the series would be now if they hadn't caved and brought Phoenix back in a starring role in DD. Hell, he wasn't even supposed to be in AJ at all originally.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
There was zero chance of not bringing Phoenix back. Like, maybe if AJ was an absolutely amazing and flawless game they would've considered it, but even then...

Still, I think that's fine. DD and SoJ both showed that even with him around, there was no issue focusing on other, newer characters, so it's not like the series has turned into some nostalgia fest. They even went out of their way to temporarily write out one of the series's most popular characters for AA7, which I'm sure wasn't an easy choice, but I think they knew that it was better to cut down the cast size a bit.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They even went out of their way to temporarily write out one of the series's most popular characters for AA7

If you're talking about Apollo we don't really know where they're going with AA7 yet. If we make the fairly safe assumption that we're staying in Japanifornia then that doesn't necessarily rule out an appearance or a one-off filler case in Khura'in. It's also possible (though far less likely) that the next game follows Apollo, at the expense of development from other characters back in Japanifornia.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking about Apollo we don't really know where they're going with AA7 yet. If we make the fairly safe assumption that we're staying in Japanifornia then that doesn't necessarily rule out an appearance or a one-off filler case in Khura'in. It's also possible (though far less likely) that the next game follows Apollo, at the expense of development from other characters back in Japanifornia.

My expectation is that he'll has a minor appearance towards the end, when he comes back for good. Either that or he'll come back at the beginning of AA8. They have to resolve the plotline with him, Trucy, and Lamiroir at some point, but I don't think it'll be in AA7. They need to keep him away for awhile before bringing him back.

The issue is that while Phoenix and Maya are clearly a team, Apollo was originally working with Trucy before Athena took over in DD. They've struggled to balance the Agency's dynamic since then. Trucy got neglected in DD, while Athena biggest contribution in SoJ is starring in the filleriest filler case in the whole series. Taking out Apollo, at least temporarily, would let them simplify things down to two duos without leaving anyone out. An Athena and Trucy duo would help set up for whenever Apollo comes back in two different ways. First, it would help flesh out Athena, making her stand out more and be less tied to Apollo. Second, it would reestablish Trucy as an assistant, which I think would be important for a future game dealing with Apollo and Trucy's connection.