• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Yep, definitely a two cour series if they are adding Lost Tournabout. Tournabout Memories and Beginnings as small 2 episode flashback cases, with the other 4 cases spread across 4 episodes each and the Train episodes can be another 4 to fit the 24 eps. With the right pacing it can work, easily. Also if The Lost Tournabout is opeping season 2, then that means Season Apollo will very likely open with Rise from the Ashes. I hope there is a Season 3 in that case. I need Damon Gant in full Anime glory.

On another note, I just finished Episode 4 of Spirit of Justice. Very short case, I figured it out from the start, but the entire absurdity behind it made it feel memorable at the very least. Prosecutor Sad Monk and Prosecutor Mr Panda was a sight to behold as well, and the Hawk/Canary relationship between Athena and Blackquill was a great amount of character development, even if a prosecutor being the Defence's aid basically sullies everything that went down in Dual Destinies.WTF with Geiru and her "balloons" though. Owen also was one hell of a tearjerker, was not expecting that twist, like at all. Speaking of twists, I opened Episode 5 for a second and to quote Apollo in the opening dialogue, wait what?
No really WAIT WHAT? Episode 3 shows that Nahyuta and Apollo where together as kids, but I thought it was a vacation or something. I didn't expect Dhurke to be the father, and I sure as hell didn't expect them to be brothers. What the flying fuck is this metal gear tier level of fuckery. The revolutionist and the attorney sons, each on one side of justice's scales. I cannot wait to play this in full.

On another note, Nahyuta has the best prosecutor theme in the series, prove me wrong.

Edit: Oh shit, didn't realize that they just pulled a star wars on us. Dhurke shippes Trucy and Apollo, without knowing that they are brother and sister. HAHAHAHA. Wait a second, since he knows who the father is, I am literally playing and posting right now, wouldn't he know who the mother is? And the Gramarye family is kinda famous, so shouldn't he know about Trucy? And wouldn't he know about Apollo's bracelet? WHAT THE HELL DHURKE.

Last edited:

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not playing fair, I know, but I love Barok Van Zieks theme.

The way it explodes at the start before leading into the violins as he just shreds Naruhodo's arguments that swayed the jury to continue the trial. The answers sound smart, but then Van Zieks completely dismantles them. The entire time you're just thinking to yourself, "well, when you put it that way it does sound pretty dumb and out there, but--"

"If the defense was intending on becoming an author of one of those ridiculous detective novels...
*chucks wineglass into a torch*
He should conceive a twist that has some basis in reality!"

GUH-HAAAAAAAAA!!

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
OMFG at Turnabout Revolution.
Yeah they pulles the Maya gets kidnapped card Again
But OMFG at that civil case. Currently on the Khurain investigation bit, but wow. That was one hell of a surpassing your mentor bit.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OMFG at Turnabout Revolution.
Yeah they pulles the Maya gets kidnapped card Again
But OMFG at that civil case. Currently on the Khurain investigation bit, but wow. That was one hell of a surpassing your mentor bit.
I'm looking forward to how you react to the rest of the case. You're in for a wild ride.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Maya,
I really wish she had some more interactions with Apollo. What was there was golden, but they had basically nothing outside of her cross-examination.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
That was some Game of Thrones level politics, holy hell. The whole case made more sense than anything else in the series, was cohesive as hell, and I dunno if its because I have been replaying the series including AAI 1/2, but I was able to figure things out along with the plot, and despite getting the plot twists early enough, they were so out there yet so believable that my enjoyment of the case was expanded by tenfold. 10/10 Ace Attorney story telling and presentation, unfuckingbelievable. Spoiler time baby!
What an incredible turn of events.
-Ga'ran set the fire 23 years ago to ursurp her sister.
-She twisted her mind into thinking her innocent husband was the arsonist.
-For 10 years she held an iron grip on her sisters, until Dhurke rescued her.
-Enter Rayfa!
-Ga'ran regains her grip on Amara, and also abducts the child.
-For 15 years Dhruke and Nahyuta are behind the scenes as the heads of the revolution.
-Inga has enough of his Wife's bullshit and tries to killer her.
-Fuck that says Ga'ran I'm queen and no else.
-So she kills Inga.
-But Dhurke figures shit out!
-So there goes Dhurke, dying to save his children, Maya, and any hope of the revolution to continue.
-Then Maya escapes, and for almost HALF A FUCKING WEEK gets Dhurke and Apollo to reconnect by channeling his spirit. HALF A FUCKING WEEK.
-They get back to Khu'rain, and try to save maya.
-Plot Twist in hindsight bitches, Maya was with you all along. Jesus.
-Murder plot goes along, and Ga'ran frames Dhurke.
-The final trial begins, and she Queen Cersei's that motherfucker and decides to become the law, juror, and executioner. Bravo woman, you went full Mad Queen.

Just the amount of story, how it ends on a high note despite the murder of Dhurke, and Apollo staying behind was enough for me to solidify the game as the best since TaT. Yes it had that stupid Noodle case, but everything un this gamr just felt right.

So, Ace Attorney 7. I really hope this is the case with the game:
-Apollo and Athena work together in Khu'rain.
-Phoenix and Trucy in Japamerica.
-Maya Magnatama and Rayfa Insights depending on the scenario.
-6 cases, with 3 for the Disciple cases and 3 for the Phoenix Cases.
-Klavier decides to go to Khur'ain to help Nahyuta.
-Blackquill and Edgeworth in Japamerica.
-Lamirior subplot to get the children to finally meet their momma.
-Some new threat to both legal systems.

Its the best of all worlds, and the 5 case thing really makes the games suffer. Fuck, make it 7 full cases with both sides coming together in the 7th and final one, since its the 7th game.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Is a new announcement expected at TGS? Feels like it's been ages since Capcom talked about AA.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's not so much that it's expected, just that TGS tends to be when they announce AA stuff. Considering how much time has passed since Capcom commented that they were working on AA associated with Switch that it seems likely we'll hear something.

I'm pretty sure TGS will have something for us so I'm more curious if it's AA7 or remakes / ports.

OP
OP
GSR

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC at last year's TGS Eshiro said he was hoping to see a new AA game in 2018, so I'll be pretty surprised if there isn't something next month.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I've got a good hankering for some Ace Attorney. I should probably rebuild my physical copies of 1-3 considering I'm not really satisfied with the HD Trilogy's sprites.

I'd be stoked for a PLvsAA2 tbh, they had a good formula going on that only needed some more refining. A new side series would be great too.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I've got a good hankering for some Ace Attorney. I should probably rebuild my physical copies of 1-3 considering I'm not really satisfied with the HD Trilogy's sprites.

I'd be stoked for a PLvsAA2 tbh, they had a good formula going on that only needed some more refining. A new side series would be great too.
Same. I hope they do Athena Cykes vs Katrielle Layton ;-)

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's finally time to replay AA6. Looking back, I suspect it's become my favorite mainline game, and I'll confirm this time. I really, really enjoyed the seance mechanic, which is something I haven't said about an AA gimmick since Psych Locks.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I think it's finally time to replay AA6. Looking back, I suspect it's become my favorite mainline game, and I'll confirm this time. I really, really enjoyed the seance mechanic, which is something I haven't said about an AA gimmick since Psych Locks.
Case 2 holds up and the game is basically fine the rest of the time with some really.hit and miss parts but I've not been able to ever get through case 5 a second time. It's just too much of a hot mess to get invested in when it doesn't quite pay off in the end.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I just realized that Spirit of Justice wasn't handled solely by Noriyuki Iwadare but by two other composers backing him as opposed to him doing mostly the whole soundtrack like Dual Destinies.

And get that, one of the other composers was the lead composer of Apollo Justice: Toshihiko Horiyama

A small samples of the tracks he composed

The theme of the case 2 villain

The other was Masami Onodera, who worked mostly on the Khu'rain side of the music

Investigation ~ Opening 2016
Investigation ~ Opening Abroad
Defendant Lobby ~ Prelude to the Truth
Detention Center ~ Iron-Bar Elegy (probably my fav detention theme)
Cornered Heart

I thought it was interesting

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I have my own thoughts on this, but I'm curious what you guys think.
Is Lamiroir showing up in SoJ's credits a tease specifically for AA7, or was it just the Ace Attorney team assuring fans that they haven't forgotten about that plotline and saying they'll get to it in some future game down the line?[/SPOILERS]

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
Is Lamiroir showing up in SoJ's credits a tease specifically for AA7, or was it just the Ace Attorney team assuring fans that they haven't forgotten about that plotline and saying they'll get to it in some future game down the line?[/SPOILERS]
My bet is that she's totally gonna be a victim in the next game so that they can withold the big family reveal til after she's dead. That gives Apollo an excuse to get involved in the plot too even though he lives on a different continent from the main gang now.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was just them going "we didn't forget!" when that's what fans of the series would be immediately thinking when AA6 was by far the most thematically appropriate the games will ever be again to tackling the topic head-on.

I don't think it was planned to have any significant implication to AA7.

OP
OP
GSR

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was just them going "we didn't forget!" when that's what fans of the series would be immediately thinking when AA6 was by far the most thematically appropriate the games will ever be again to tackling the topic head-on.

I don't think it was planned to have any significant implication to AA7.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. It felt like one last "hey we didn't forget this plot point from AA4" just to acknowledge it, not to say "this is going to be the plot of AA7." I'd actually be very surprised if it did play into AA7.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I think very little is a given for AA7, seeing as how they explicitly said they were leaving AA6 open to let them do whatever they wanted.

This is going to be interesting esp. if a new director is at the helm. Not to mention how they'll deal with the same engine or get a fancier one (MT framework mobile was it?).

SoJ looks great on mobile so they might just push resolution and some assets

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The art of the crew playing music in albums is my favourite thing

zERpCZQ.jpg

8gz68Zi.jpg

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
Is there a discord or something where we'll be watching it together?

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
So, uh...

What's the next event they might announce AA7 at? I sort of figured it would be at TGS for sure.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
YES!! They kept him being called the Reaper!!

Ahhhhh it's such a minor thing but I'm so relieved! I was bracing myself for them to call him the "Death Bringer". I need to know what Zieks calls Naruhodo.

But two episodes?? Dang man and made it work with the smartphone version. That is outstanding.

So, uh...

What's the next event they might announce AA7 at? I sort of figured it would be at TGS for sure.

Anyone's guess now. AA is a lower tier game in Capcom's circle, especially with the declining sales of the recent titles, so it's never guaranteed a spot for a reveal at major events.

At this point I'd expect a random drop in a Famitsu issue, but after this new port launches.

The real question is what comes first? A new title or milk making ports of the rest of the series to the new audience that it will hopefully find after going multiplatform? I'm a Mega Man fan so I think you can guess what my money is on for Capcom's next course of action.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GSR

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
So here's my honest take on this: it's great that they're porting the games to HD platforms and branching out from Nintendo/mobile. I think this is a series that really has no reason to be exclusive anymore, and I hope going forward the rest of the series makes the transition as well.

That said: I'm definitely kind of weary of this announcement, and not even because it's a port rather than a new game - it's that it's specifically, yet again, the "Phoenix Wright Trilogy." The first re-release of AA1 will be almost 14 years old when this HD collection releases. The vast majority of AA tie-in media re-tells AA1 or is set around that time. All the series representation in crossovers is AA123-era.

Those are games that came out in 2001-2004. I love those games - a lot of people do - but it really feels like Capcom is terrified of ever moving on from them in terms of series/brand perception. And that's not healthy - that's stagnant.

(Yes I posted this in all three threads. It's the best I got at the moment.)

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
like, us getting yet another og trilogy port and not a 3ds or Switch port of AAI 1 and 2 is baffling

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't add a Western Android port of the trilogy while they were announcing this. Always seems weird that we don't have that.
Even if they port it to Android, I would not buy it unless they remove always online requirement for AA in Android.
For PC, I might make a special exception if they stick Denuvo to it for the first game but I will have ignore every other entry with Denuvo..

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Trilogy port yaaaay. *yawn*
The only good thing about this is that when AA7 comes along, the UI is gonna be really clean at the very least. I mean, it can be assumed this is the same UI they will use for it.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I get that there's a lot of nostalgia for the trilogy and all, but a ton of fans got into the series through 4, 5, and 6, so I really wish they would stop leaning on the originals so much. Despite what most tend to assume, many people have a stronger connection to the later games, and I don't like those fans getting shafted.