• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Just picked up the game on Xbox and plan on getting all the achievements. However, I can't find a guide for this achievement.

Jean's Foreign Language Course289 (100)
Learn all of Armstrong's fancy foreign words. (T&T, Ep. 3)

Is there a guide somewhere with this?

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just picked up the game on Xbox and plan on getting all the achievements. However, I can't find a guide for this achievement.

Jean's Foreign Language Course289 (100)
Learn all of Armstrong's fancy foreign words. (T&T, Ep. 3)

Is there a guide somewhere with this?
Looks like the same achievements as the iPhone game.

Strategy Wiki doesn't tell you step by step, but it does tell you along the way.
From what I can see, basically...
1. Present all evidence and profiles during Investigation interview with Jean
2. Press every statement during his trial (I do this anyway so I can see every line of dialogue lol)
3. Be sure to ask "How many minutes after?" before "What time was it?" on Statement 2 during the "In the Restaurant" Cross Examination

Reminds me I need to do this with the stupid Lunchbox achievement because I'm pretty sure I didn't get them all on iPhone.

Not sure if I can spring $30 to pay for this game AGAIN (bought all three on DS, Trilogy on iPhone) but if you tell me it fixes the sound issues from the second and third game and looks great, I might just do it!

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man, i'm replaying ace attorney 2 and damn, i'm getting stuck for the Matt Engarde case. holy crap, i'm like using brute force to figure the right thing to present.

playing on original ds lite, i don't remember it being this hard.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching season 1 of the AA anime, finally. I mainly love it because of how it keeps reminding me of how great this series is, but I like some of the differences that the anime medium lets them make use of. Like:
Regina tearfully apologizing to the culprit in the courtroom after the verdict is dealt.
Though I dunno how I feel about them replacing Lotta Hart with Larry in 2-4.

The English dub is neat. Maya's voice feels too high pitched, but I got used to it. The Judge's voice is way bad, though; sounds way too "typical old."

Now for the next season.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how many episodes season 2 is gonna have? Next one is ep 22 I think, but I'd like to binge it soon. If 22 is the last one then I'll get started, but if it's a season of 24 or 26 episodes then I'll wait a bit more.
I've used my google-fu for the answer but no luck.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
Time to order the game from amazon.co.jp!

But first I need to check if I can install all the homebrew on my old 3DS, uckily the firmware is still somewhat old.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
It took me forever but I decided to go back and continue AAI2 since I only ever beat the first two cases and I gotta say, this game is fantastic. I'm in the final segment of Case 3 and its already become my favorite third case in the series.

I know a few vague spoilers but I'm still excited to see where this goes but so far I'm having a great time. The fan translation is also super clean. It almost feels like I'm playing an official localization.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I picked up AA 6 again. Was in the middle of case 4 which I've beaten now. But ugh, this game really doesn't click with me and I am not really sure why. I don't really like the setting or the stupid "lawyer's are evil because"-plot we got. Sadmahdi is a boring prosecutor. And I think the fact that the main cast is so scattered that they barely interact with each other also doesn't help. This was somewhat true for AA 5 as well, but not to such an extent as here.

I am hyped for Dai Gyakuten Saiban (waiting for my copy at the moment) but AA 6 is probably my least favorite game in the whole franchise so far. I bought it at released, played to roughly the halfway point of case 3 and dropped it. Picked it back up nearly a year ago to finish case 3 and then dropped it in the middle of case 4 again. And while case 5 so far is more interesting after ~1 hours of gameplay, I am already loosing interest again. Ugh.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Sahdmadhi is easily the worst prosecutor in the series. Boring, long unskippable animations, and somehow related to the plot in a dumb way. Case 5 does get interesting, but I think they tried too hard in the plot twists.

trying to tie Apollo into the whole Kura'in affair after already giving him a backstory in the previous game just makes it seem like they don't know what to do with him, and are just trying to write him out of the plot.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Nayuta is one of the weaker aspects of SoJ, because he's honestly pretty dull. He's used for too long for how simple his shtick is. He works well enough for case 2 and 3, but by case 4 he starts wearing a bit thin. Rayfa taking an antagonistic position similar to prosecutors in previous game stops it from becoming a major issue, but it's a unfortunate mark on what's otherwise a really well told story.

Could definitely be worse though. His most serious offence is being boring. He's still miles above the obnoxious, time wasting, tension draining prosecutor known as Klavier.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Reached Day 2 in 6-5 and this case so far is redeeming the game a bit. The first day was really cool. But I get the feeling this will be another 12 hour case... xD

Oct 28, 2017
Did you guys hear? Wright was caught using forged evidence today and was disbarred. The defendant ran away from court too.

This feels like the beginning of a dark age for the law...

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching season 1 of the AA anime, finally. I mainly love it because of how it keeps reminding me of how great this series is, but I like some of the differences that the anime medium lets them make use of. Like:
Regina tearfully apologizing to the culprit in the courtroom after the verdict is dealt.
Though I dunno how I feel about them replacing Lotta Hart with Larry in 2-4.

The English dub is neat. Maya's voice feels too high pitched, but I got used to it. The Judge's voice is way bad, though; sounds way too "typical old."

Now for the next season.
I'm midway through season 2 and enjoying it a lot, even the original case. I really like the anime, it's cool to see the characters so lively. Gumshoe is the MVP. I agree though, the Judge's voice is the weak point in the dub. Godot is actually pretty good, I compared with the japanese dub and I prefer the english VA.

Did you guys hear? Wright was caught using forged evidence today and was disbarred. The defendant ran away from court too.

This feels like the beginning of a dark age for the law...
Damn that happened today?
lmao I just started watching a playthrough of Apollo Justice (that I've already played and finished a few years ago) to refresh my memory before jumping to AA5.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Finally jumped back in dual destinies after making a very long break. I was in the middle of some courtroom drama day 1 of case 3 and boy it is sucking me straight in again. I remembered some basics of the case but not all the details and could progress easily without making making any mistakes.
So far the cases of Dual destinies are really top notch because I remember each one fondly.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Finally jumped back in dual destinies after making a very long break. I was in the middle of some courtroom drama day 1 of case 3 and boy it is sucking me straight in again. I remembered some basics of the case but not all the details and could progress easily without making making any mistakes.
So far the cases of Dual destinies are really top notch because I remember each one fondly.

If you haven't already, check out the DLC case as well. It takes place between Case 2 and 3 and is arguably the best case in the whole game.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I didn't even know there were DLCs for the series now. Good to know, I guess I need to buy that before I start the game.

Just for Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice. The very first game got a bonus case when it was ported to DS which is now included on basically every version of it other than the original GBA.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
If you haven't already, check out the DLC case as well. It takes place between Case 2 and 3 and is arguably the best case in the whole game.
No arguably about it, 5's DLC is in the running for one of my favorite cases period. It's an amazing example of AA's new saga and did a much better job of endearing me to new Phoenix than the main cases tried to.

AdversaryOne

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
All this talk about the dlc case in Dual Destinies makes me want to play it. I finished that game about a year or two ago and there was no way I was diving back in right after that.

I still need to play Spirit of Justice as well. The itch is coming back.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's a shame to think there's probably a good amount of people who played Dual Destinies that didn't check out the DLC case, when it's in contention for the best case in the game and in the series as a whole.

They really messed that up with Spirit of Justice's DLC case.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
AA5's DLC case is defo the best case in the game; the way it plays off of your expectations and even the series' signature tropes is really interesting.

6-DLC sucks hard though, which is a shame considering how strong the rest of the cases are. Guess in order to avoid the Third Case Curse they had to channel all the bad schlock into something else...

Yasawas

Oct 27, 2017
What's the general consensus on the standard of Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice in the community? About five years ago I played the original DS trilogy, Apollo Justice and started Dual Destinies but didn't love it (despite the pleasing novelty of seeing the world looking all gorgeous), and I can't work out if it's not a great game or if I had/am just burned out.

Case in point, here's how long it took me!

ZGvNATT.jpg

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What's the general consensus on the standard of Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice in the community? About five years ago I played the original DS trilogy, Apollo Justice and started Dual Destinies but didn't love it (despite the pleasing novelty of seeing the world looking all gorgeous), and I can't work out if it's not a great game or if I had/am just burned out.

Dual Destinies is one of the more contentious entries, though Spirit of Justice seems to have been much better received in general. Burnout may well be a thing though if you'd just gone through the rest of the series beforehand.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Case in point, here's how long it took me!

Dual Destinies is one of the weaker games in the series, though it does end with some pretty strong stuff. Meanwhile Spirit of Justice is well regarded. It's personally either my favourite or second favourite in the series. I imagine burnout played some part into it.

Yasawas

Oct 27, 2017
Probably. I should try a case of Spirit at least - I did pick it up on sale at some point in the last five years...

I'm not crazy about the emotion-scanning gimmick of Athena's, so fingers crossed there's none of that pish here.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I personally really don't like Dual Destinies. I mainly dislike Dual Destinies for what it didn't do rather than what it did. In particular, I think it does a really poor job following up Apollo Justice,
They had so many opportunities to follow-up plot points in Apollo Justice too. The third case was basically begging for a discussion about how Phoenix forged evidence in case 4-1. Plus, I think bringing up Phoenix's past failures and his newfound rebirth would be a much more interesting exploration of legal philosophy than simply repeating, "The end justifies the means" over and over again. Furthermore, the entire dark age of the law subplot could have been solved by the Jurist System. After all, there is no better way to get people to trust the courts than to have them actively involved in the legal process. Despite this, the Jurist System and what happened to it aren't even mentioned; they could have atleast said that it was canceled or something.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Dual Destinies is an odd game. "The Dark Age of the Law" is comically unsubtle and poorly handled, cases are generally way too overcomplicated, motives for the killers are just handed out at the end of each case as an afterthought (except for the DLC case), and a number of plot points from AJ are flat out dropped.

On the other hand, DD does a bunch of other stuff really well. It was in a really tight spot following the very controversial AJ, and while certain bits were ignored, it ended up being a really solid compromise. Phoenix became the main character again with his two radically different characterizations fused together in a way that made sense, while Apollo stuck around as an important secondary character and got more development than he did in his own game. Outside of all that, Athena and Blackquill are both a lot of fun, the Mood Matrix is an interesting gimmick (if a bit too easy), and I really enjoy all the personal aspects of the main plot. "The Dark Age of the Law" is still stupid though.

Dual Destinies has significant problems that are in pretty much every case, but I feel like the core of the game is really good. It's weird.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I feel like the Dark Age of the Law was fine when it wasn't this "thing" people kept talking about. Corruption in the legal system perpetuated by the likes of Kristoph, Daryan, Prof. Means and apparently most of the prosecutors' office shouldn't be so easily solved by exonerating Phoenix and Blackquill. We already know the system was rotten, Edgeworth dealt with it a lot in both Investigations games.

Yasawas

Oct 27, 2017
Dual Destinies is an odd game. "The Dark Age of the Law" is comically unsubtle and poorly handled, cases are generally way too overcomplicated, motives for the killers are just handed out at the end of each case as an afterthought (except for the DLC case), and a number of plot points from AJ are flat out dropped.

On the other hand, DD does a bunch of other stuff really well. It was in a really tight spot following the very controversial AJ, and while certain bits were ignored, it ended up being a really solid compromise. Phoenix became the main character again with his two radically different characterizations fused together in a way that made sense, while Apollo stuck around as an important secondary character and got more development than he did in his own game. Outside of all that, Athena and Blackquill are both a lot of fun, the Mood Matrix is an interesting gimmick (if a bit too easy), and I really enjoy all the personal aspects of the main plot. "The Dark Age of the Law" is still stupid though.

Dual Destinies has significant problems that are in pretty much every case, but I feel like the core of the game is really good. It's weird.

You've articulated pretty much my thoughts exactly (minus the Mood Matrix, which I will never be convinced of the fun of!) after a day or two to think on it. I'm pleased to see I'm not alone anyhow - I seem to remember DD reviews at the time both official and anecdotal being glowing, but I reckon a lot of that would have been the thrill of the technical improvements and the continuation of a series that has been hanging by a thread in the West at times or so it can feel.

I've decided I'm going to try Investigations now which I know is divisive to say the least but I'm going in knowing that, and the convenience of being able to play it on tablet or phone when I should be working is too tempting.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I seem to remember DD reviews at the time both official and anecdotal being glowing, but I reckon a lot of that would have been the thrill of the technical improvements and the continuation of a series that has been hanging by a thread in the West at times or so it can feel.
I think a lot of it was the large gap between AJ and DD. Investigations was fun, but it didn't feel the same as the main series. I distinctly remember playing DD for the first time and being really, really happy to be in trials again.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like both Investigations games, and I would love the first one if not for the last, absurdly overlong case. The characters themselves basically said how fucking tired they were and how stupid it was.
But it's important to play it before Investigations 2 who is way better on the whole.

So, as for me, I've just started Dual Destinies, finally. After putting the series on hold for years because I was mad that Capcom didn't localize them all. Investigations 2 stayed in Japan, and same for Dai Gyakuten Saiban. I just hate to miss episodes. And admittedly I was a bit burnt out. No issue with taking some time away from a series if it starts to bore you. All is good now, thanks to the fantastic community and the work done by benevolent translators who did a wonderful job.

After finishing Investigations 2 last month, I watched the anime and that helped refresh my memory of the cases in the first trilogy (and honestly I think the anime is good fun). Then I watched a playthrough of Apollo Justice because I played it too long ago and forgot too much stuff, and I can't find my damn cart, so I just watched it on Youtube. Now I'm finally back up to speed and delighted to make the jump to the 3DS.

SO, I finished the first case of Dual Destinies earlier today and I liked it a lot!
My biggest fear was the characterization of Phoenix. Someone made a thread a few days ago and everyone was criticizing it, how he went from goofy, to broody mastermind, and to goofy again. Well watching the cases in Apollo Justice and playing Dual Destinies now, I don't really see the issue. Phoenix has changed a bit and it shines through some details. Like, I love how he constantly has the locket with Trucy's pic in his pocket. It's there to remind you at all times of the seven years that passed, and that Phoenix is proud to be a daddy now. I couldn't imagine him like that during the first trilogy, now it seems (alsmost!) natural.
And honestly, even Miles makes some pretty goofy faces and has some really goofy moments (what with his love for the Steel Samurai), it doesn't take away from his character. Apollo in AA4 is more serious than Phoenix ever was, he's more uptight, but that doesn't prevent him to make some pretty stupid faces. That's just the tone of the series.
So, I'm happy with what I'm seeing so far, I don't feel the dissonance I expected from Phoenix.

Oh, one last thing: I bought the DLC case, but when should I play it? Someone said earlier that it took place between cases 2 and 3, but is that really the best moment to play it? It was released after the main game came out right? So I just wonder if "release order" is better.

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I like both Investigations games, and I would love the first one if not for the last, absurdly overlong case. The characters themselves basically said how fucking tired they were and how stupid it was.
But it's important to play it before Investigations 2 who is way better on the whole.

So, as for me, I've just started Dual Destinies, finally. After putting the series on hold for years because I was mad that Capcom didn't localize them all. Investigations 2 stayed in Japan, and same for Dai Gyakuten Saiban. I just hate to miss episodes. And admittedly I was a bit burnt out. No issue with taking some time away from a series if it starts to bore you. All is good now, thanks to the fantastic community and the work done by benevolent translators who did a wonderful job.

After finishing Investigations 2 last month, I watched the anime and that helped refresh my memory of the cases in the first trilogy (and honestly I think the anime is good fun). Then I watched a playthrough of Apollo Justice because I played it too long ago and forgot too much stuff, and I can't find my damn cart, so I just watched it on Youtube. Now I'm finally back up to speed and delighted to make the jump to the 3DS.

SO, I finished the first case of Dual Destinies earlier today and I liked it a lot!
My biggest fear was the characterization of Phoenix. Someone made a thread a few days ago and everyone was criticizing it, how he went from goofy, to broody mastermind, and to goofy again. Well watching the cases in Apollo Justice and playing Dual Destinies now, I don't really see the issue. Phoenix has changed a bit and it shines through some details. Like, I love how he constantly has the locket with Trucy's pic in his pocket. It's there to remind you at all times of the seven years that passed, and that Phoenix is proud to be a daddy now. I couldn't imagine him like that during the first trilogy, now it seems (alsmost!) natural.
And honestly, even Miles makes some pretty goofy faces and has some really goofy moments (what with his love for the Steel Samurai), it doesn't take away from his character. Apollo in AA4 is more serious than Phoenix ever was, he's more uptight, but that doesn't prevent him to make some pretty stupid faces. That's just the tone of the series.
So, I'm happy with what I'm seeing so far, I don't feel the dissonance I expected from Phoenix.

Oh, one last thing: I bought the DLC case, but when should I play it? Someone said earlier that it took place between cases 2 and 3, but is that really the best moment to play it? It was released after the main game came out right? So I just wonder if "release order" is better.

Just go in release order for the dlc case. It technically takes place between cases but it's removed enough that it doesn't really matter.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I mean, even the main part of AA5 tackles its cases somewhat out of order, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd personally recommend either just playing it after finishing the rest of the game since it's fairly standalone anyway, or doing it after case 3, since 4 is used as something of a natural lead-in to 5 and it's at least better not to break those two up.

Still kinda crossing my fingers for some sort of AA7 reveal at E3 this year, but I'm not really getting my hopes up.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just go in release order for the dlc case. It technically takes place between cases but it's removed enough that it doesn't really matter.
I mean, even the main part of AA5 tackles its cases somewhat out of order, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Alright thank you, I'll play it last :D

I'm noticing quite a lot of typos in the game, or missing words. Not a big deal at all but I didn't notice so many in the previous ones.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I'm noticing quite a lot of typos in the game, or missing words. Not a big deal at all but I didn't notice so many in the previous ones.
Dual Destinies did have a glaring amount of typos. I guess this is what happens when the game can be released so close to the Japanese one. I'd rather take that than a long ass delay.

Spirit of Justice was much improved in this regard, at least.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, DD has quite a few errors in the script, though I believe that the iOS version fixed that.

The 3DS version also has a small visual glitch that ends up removing a bit of foreshadowing. There's supposed to be one scene where a certain character has a slightly different appearance than normal, but the standard character model shows up instead.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, DD has quite a few errors in the script, though I believe that the iOS version fixed that.

The 3DS version also has a small visual glitch that ends up removing a bit of foreshadowing. There's supposed to be one scene where a certain character has a slightly different appearance than normal, but the standard character model shows up instead.
ooohhh, what's this last bit about?

My immediate thought was Fullbright but the real deal was already gone in every case of DD if I recall correctly

OP
OP
GSR

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to do some shameless self-promotion (I think this is OK by RE rules? Will remove if not) but I wrote a freelance piece for Fanbyte about the series, as someone who's been following it since '06:

Eighteen Years in, Ace Attorney Is Stuck in Its Past

This is a history of the series and a discussion on how it seems to have gotten stuck chasing the successes of the first trilogy in response to mixed fan reaction to AA4, and how that's creatively stagnated the series a whole.

Two points a friend pointed out that didn't make it into the article:

1. Apollo Justice is actually the highest-selling game in the series. That Capcom chose to pivot away from it in spite of that suggests they put a very high value on "not rocking the boat" after seeing mixed fan response.

2. DGS2 had very poor opening sales (as noted in the piece) but critical/fan reaction was very positive. This one was in there previously but got cut during word count.

(You can even put these two points together to ask: will Capcom of 2019 respond to a low-selling, fandom-liked game the same way they responded to a high-selling, fandom-mixed one? I'm inclined to think they care more about sales these days, which is the point I made. But none of this stuff is absolute.)

Anyway, please give it a read, and I appreciate any thoughts or comments!

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I'm of the opinion that Capcom will continue to milk the adventures of Wright and company until it stops making them money. Takumi has tried twice to pivot away from Phoenix, first with Apollo and then with DGS, but both experiments didn't give them what they wanted. Ace Attorney is too valuable a franchise for them to continue to use the mainline games as experiments, and Phoenix is too much the face of the franchise to remove anymore. Any new ideas will be relegated to the side games.

I really liked AA4 despite how flawed it was. I wish they continued pushing through that trilogy instead of putting Phoenix back in the lead.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
AA4 is the weakest game in the series imo, yet I still wish Capcom stuck by it instead of getting cold feet and retreating back to the safeness of Phoenix & co.

AA4's plot maybe be sloppy and held together by duct tape and dreams, but I love how many risks it takes compared to the more-consistent-yet-far-duller story of Dual Destinies. Spirit of Justice managed to find a good balance between both though, and ofc the DGS duology is the perfect example of how to tell a story that's both daring AND excellently-told. If I could sacrifice AA4-6 for an English localization of the two DGS games, I totally would tbqh.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry to do some shameless self-promotion (I think this is OK by RE rules? Will remove if not) but I wrote a freelance piece for Fanbyte about the series, as someone who's been following it since '06:

Eighteen Years in, Ace Attorney Is Stuck in Its Past

This is a history of the series and a discussion on how it seems to have gotten stuck chasing the successes of the first trilogy in response to mixed fan reaction to AA4, and how that's creatively stagnated the series a whole.

Two points a friend pointed out that didn't make it into the article:

1. Apollo Justice is actually the highest-selling game in the series. That Capcom chose to pivot away from it in spite of that suggests they put a very high value on "not rocking the boat" after seeing mixed fan response.

2. DGS2 had very poor opening sales (as noted in the piece) but critical/fan reaction was very positive. This one was in there previously but got cut during word count.

(You can even put these two points together to ask: will Capcom of 2019 respond to a low-selling, fandom-liked game the same way they responded to a high-selling, fandom-mixed one? I'm inclined to think they care more about sales these days, which is the point I made. But none of this stuff is absolute.)

Anyway, please give it a read, and I appreciate any thoughts or comments!
Quick question. I remember hearing back when 4 came out that it sold the most but that it had a really high resell rate which tanked the price really quickly (I think I remember reading down to something like 1,500 yen but not sure it's been awhile).

I was no where near Japan at the time so I was wondering if there was any truth to this?