• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017

This might be the first time we've seen any kind of official use of the name "The Great Ace Attorney", and those leaked slides said a localization announcement was slated for April, so... seems like things are gearing up!

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to it (and looking forward to the announcement which is suppose to happen in April, hopefully the same event)!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Already experienced both TGAA games, can't wait for them to get announced and released together, more people need to play those great games!

While the orchestra concert itself is really cool as well, I listened to a lot of previous ones over the years, so I don't think i will get new music tracks from it, but it's still cool

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Man, Phoenix Wright in Smash would be awesome. Also, seeing "The Great Ace Attorney" there makes me excited about the collection.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Also an important note, this is the first time an official Capcom source has ever said "The Great Ace Attorney" publicly. Up until now it's only been used by fans as a direct translation of the Japanese title of the spin-offs.

Edit: LOL, it's in the OP... *dies*

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Guess they're doing the announcements here. It's cool that more companies are offering these concerts overseas as well, between this and the SMT one.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
It's fuckin happening

edit: The majority of the setlist (which is incomplete atm, as they're letting fans vote for tracks) is from DGS too.

Last edited:

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it's a best hits collection from previous years with no new arrangements, which is a bit disappointing. I'm guessing you'll have to pay to watch the archive too?

Anyway, Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is very likely going to be announced here, based on the Capcom leak. AA7 still seems to be up in the air, especially since it was only mentioned once.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Looks like it's a best hits collection from previous years with no new arrangements, which is a bit disappointing. I'm guessing you'll have to pay to watch the archive too?

Anyway, Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is very likely going to be announced here, based on the Capcom leak. AA7 still seems to be up in the air, especially since it was only mentioned once.

Shu has to be working on something and I can't imagine it's just the DSG ports as there's no new content from the look of things.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
The DGS collection was going to be physical in Japan only, right? Or was it physical only for Switch, regardless of region?

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Shu has to be working on something and I can't imagine it's just the DSG ports as there's no new content from the look of things.
Apparently he was working on some Monster Hunter phone game a while back lol.

I'm wondering if Yamazaki's departure had something to do with a potential delay/cancellation. Though I think it was mentioned that he had moved to another division after SoJ and he had to be convinced to come back for that anyway.

SoJ co-director/art director Takuro Fuse, from I can tell, hasn't been credited on anything since that game either.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

Sadly, it really seems like AA7 got cancelled around the time Takeshi Yamazaki left Capcom. There's no way that team was doing nothing for years, so they were likely working on a cancelled game.
He's been working on mobile titles for Capcom. Shu actually has game credits since 2016, unlike Takeshi Yamazaki & other AA developers, so it's pretty unlikely that he's been working on a secret Ace Attorney game separately.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason the past week I've been listening to The Great Ace Attorney's amazing score (I think it's the anticipation for the announce of its Western release). It's such an outstanding score I'm glad they're doing an orchestra concert of it

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Also other AA staff like Yasumasa Kitagawa (lead composer for Great Ace Attorney 1/2) and Toshihiko Horiyama (Sound Director for DD/composer for SoJ) were moved onto Teppen and Resident Evil 3 Remake, respectively.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I really don't see why they'd bother going global with DGS if they were just planning to bury the series, personally.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Here we go. The Great Ace Attorney port will be announced during this streaming, for sure. I would hope AA7 is teased as well, but who knows what happened to that project.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
The HD Collection did REALLY well and clearly surprised Capcom
True.

But still, why put a massive spotlight on the series and try to expand the market like this if your plans for the series' future amount to zilch because you canned the next mainline title? I guess you could chalk it up to them committing to this early on, but it still feels rather dumb and shortsighted.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see why they'd bother going global with DGS if they were just planning to bury the series, personally.
I don't think the series is dead, especially after the leaks with other stuff like Capcom wanting to get the anime on Netflix/Amazon Prime, but I feel like we could be waiting another while for the next brand new title. I hope I'm wrong.

The HD Collection did REALLY well and clearly surprised Capcom
From the leaks, I think plans for the collection have been in place since at least late 2018, before the Trilogy had even released on current platforms.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
True.

But still, why put a massive spotlight on the series and try to expand the market like this if your plans for the series' future amount to zilch because you canned the next mainline title? I guess you could chalk it up to them committing to this early on, but it still feels rather dumb and shortsighted.
Because the HD Collection did over a million units despite the trilogy already being ported to every platform prior. And since Capcom likes money....

Capcom could very well be working on an AA7. But if they are it's unrelated to the one mentioned in the leaks and only recently began development.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Because the HD Collection did over a million units despite the trilogy already being ported to every platform prior. And since Capcom likes money....

Capcom could very well be working on an AA7. But if they are it's unrelated to the one mentioned in the leaks and only recently began development.
I still just don't know if I buy it. Why would the previous director having left necessarily imply AA7's cancellation, and why would Takumi having some mobile game credits in the last five years imply that he's not directing a game? It just doesn't check out as more than idle speculation for me.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the series is dead, especially after the leaks with other stuff like Capcom wanting to get the anime on Netflix/Amazon Prime, but I feel like we could be waiting another while for the next brand new title. I hope I'm wrong.

From the leaks, I think plans for the collection have been in place since at least late 2018, before the Trilogy had even released on current platforms.
The leaks are a bit vague but it does seem like Capcom was thinking about the 2nd collection earlier (probably because the Great Ace Attorney was stuck on the 3DS while the Switch was selling like crazy). But timing from the leaks compared to what really happened makes it seem like the plan for the GAA collection got a lot more serious after the HD Collection sold a bunch.

But this could also be a side effect of Capcom's general flat-footedness when it came to the Switch & Steam.
(whispers) ghost trick twwwwwwwwwooooooo

(really whispers) but honestly anything new from shu would be great
(Really really whispers) it's called Monster Hunter mobile

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
The leaked slides do indicate that Capcom is interested in expanding the franchise. They were investigating a variety of potential marketing ideas and cross promotions. Ideas like campaigns with law schools and even some speculation over whether it'd be possible to do something with Suits, the American show (which ended in 2019). This on top of the Netflix idea, which is obv more straight forward and a bigger deal.

A lot can happen in a year or two, though...

I still just don't know if I buy it. Why would the previous director having left necessarily imply AA7's cancellation, and why would Takumi having some mobile game credits in the last five years imply that he's not directing a game? It just doesn't check out as more than idle speculation for me.
I think the mobile credits are new: he's apparently a/the quest writer for the Monster Hunter mobile game that came out last year, Monster Hunter Riders. The game seems to have kind of came and went, and Google doesn't even acknowledge it over some anime spinoff of Stories that came out in 2016.