• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
What I'm talking about is say I wanted to roll 90 degrees onto my side to slip between two objects, the game in its current state lacks that snap depicted in the video and instead is more of a slow roll and a battle of fine tuning against the resistance of the analog stick. I'm just suggesting that something could be added to create this feeling in game. A double tap of the analog stick in the desired direction or holding another button and pressing the direction or something.
In the game the planes need to have different handling attributes and characteristics as a gameplay differentiator, Ace Combat is not a simulator, so gameplay choices will come first. The Hornet is a highly agile plane in reality, but in the game it's only a mid to low tier plane, and does not have the amount of roll rate to pull that off.

Actually, there is a game in the series that does that kind of sorta quick movement, it's called Assault Horizon lol.

Oct 27, 2017
In the game the planes need to have different handling attributes and characteristics as a gameplay differentiator, Ace Combat is not a simulator, so gameplay choices will come first. The Hornet is a highly agile plane in reality, but in the game it's only a mid to low tier plane, and does not have the amount of roll rate to pull that off.

Actually, there is a game in the series that does that kind of sorta quick movement, it's called Assault Horizon lol.
Makes sense. I wish I wasn't bothered by the juxtaposition of watching Top Gun, Independence Day, and flight footage and going into a game full of fighter jets to get that feel but find it slow by comparison.

Edit: It's like expecting modern flight controls but getting a WW1 era basic flight control scheme to sate purists or deliver what seems like the norm for the genre.

I keep parroting that I much prefer Warhawk's pro flight controls.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Got this game and AC5 with the UK Deluxe Edition and I've been playing so much 5 I've found that AC7 feels stiff in comparison? In AC5 the planes feel a bit more natural to control (talking about expert control mode).

Basically, in AC5 when I tilt the plane, it swoops in slightly in the direction of the tilt and the ground.

But in AC7, at least with the starter plane, the tilt doesn't really change the direction on its own at all? It's like tank controls or something, the only way to adjust seems to be changing the yaw with the bumpers or tilting and then pulling "up". But that feels so much less natural than AC5 planes (or at least the ones I've used so far).

I can't tell if this is a case of the starter plane in AC7 being less smooth on purpose so later planes are more appealing, a change made in the name of increased realism or just a creative choice that doesn't work for me, but I went from pretty smooth flying in 5 to feeling like I was flying a forklift.

This stood out the most in the 3rd or 4th mission with the space elevator, I could hardly hit anything. But part of that was also because the game kept artificially slowing me down and throttling the engine whenever I got close to the targets at the base of the tower, so what's up with that? Is that because I was playing on easy (got AC5 on normal by comparison).

Thank you to anyone who can help out and answer! Despite all this I'm definitely thinking of checking out the other games in the series and AC6 in particular seems like a good game to try to get sooner than later because its plane licenses have also expired like the PS2 games and you can't even get it digitally anymore. I'm just hoping the DLC was just cosmetic or extra planes and not unique missions.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Starting planes suck that's all. You should have access to a few super planes as part of the deluxe edition and you'll immediately feel the difference even without parts.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Starting planes suck that's all. You should have access to a few super planes as part of the deluxe edition and you'll immediately feel the difference even without parts.
Nice! Although I can't see them in the airplane tree. Am I supposed to use a DLC menu or something?

I also sort of got the hang of it a little bit, but it would be nice to immediately upgrade haha.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Is this going to be paid dlc?

Also, regarding dlc, I just installed the game the other day on ps5 and while some packs mention "included in season pass" there is no season pass on the psn store that I can see. What's up with that?

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Is this going to be paid dlc?

Also, regarding dlc, I just installed the game the other day on ps5 and while some packs mention "included in season pass" there is no season pass on the psn store that I can see. What's up with that?
Likely paid DLC for probably $15. The season pass should still be up, go check out DLCs for the game in the PSN store.